• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Serotonin syndrome from dabbing- please help

Yea I was hoping someone would have experienced something similar, but obviously not, and peor keep responding to the title telling me shit I've already figure out. Close thread.

If you don't want to accept the answers given then that's fine, but most of what you're told comes from a place of experience.

Me and many others have told you, it was more than likely a panic attack.

Everything you describe from how you felt at the time of the first occurrence to how you are feeling now is textbook panic/anxiety attack. It happens to many people who have smoked cannabis for a long period of time and happened to myself.

You seem to dismiss it, because you keep experiencing the same thing when you now smoke and in a lot of the cases, that's how it plays out.

You smoke for years and years, never having a problem. Being able to smoke huge amounts and the worst that ever happens is you get super high/stoned. Then one day out of the blue, you start to feel panicy, you get weird sensations through your body. Your heart races, your mind goes hay wire, you start to feel like you're losing control and that something is terribly wrong. Why this happens I don't know.

Something like that for a lot of people, doesn't just go away. It plays on their subconscious and ends up manifesting in reoccurring attacks, when they smoke from then on. It's the fight or flight response kicking in. It's your subconscious saying, "fuck dude, remember when I smoked the other day and I felt like I was losing my mind and it felt fucking awful... what if that happens again?".

In a sense, you become overly sensitized to the effects of cannabis and what might happen.

It happens, it sucks, it's time to take a break for a while and take stock. If you haven't built your life up around pot and don't have a dependence it shouldn't be a problem, not that there is anything wrong if you do. Give your brain some down time.

Cannabis is different for different people. Maybe one day you'll be able to smoke again, maybe you never will.

It isn't the end of the world.

Last edited:
I've never dabbed anything; but it sounds like you got way too high on dabs, and got lots of anxiety, or a panic attack from the THC. This can happen if you ingest too much THC in dabs, edibles, or in some people when they smoke too much and have no tolerance to THC or are new to smoking herb.

Last edited:
Dabs don't cause serotonin syndrome, they cause cannabinoid induced panic attacks.

Serotonin syndrome is not a catch all term for "bad drug experience".

If you don't want to accept the answers given then that's fine, but most of what you're told comes from a place of experience.

Me and many others have told you, it was more than likely a panic attack.

Everything you describe from how you felt at the time of the first occurrence to how you are feeling now is textbook panic/anxiety attack. It happens to many people who have smoked cannabis for a long period of time and happened to myself.

You seem to dismiss it, because you keep experiencing the same thing when you now smoke and in a lot of the cases, that's how it plays out.

You smoke for years and years, never having a problem. Being able to smoke huge amounts and the worst that ever happens is you get super high/stoned. Then one day out of the blue, you start to feel panicy, you get weird sensations through your body. Your heart races, your mind goes hay wire, you start to feel like you're losing control and that something is terribly wrong. Why this happens I don't know.

Something like that for a lot of people, doesn't just go away. It plays on their subconscious and ends up manifesting in reoccurring attacks, when they smoke from then on. It's the fight or flight response kicking in. It's your subconscious saying, "fuck dude, remember when I smoked the other day and I felt like I was losing my mind and it felt fucking awful... what if that happens again?".

In a sense, you become overly sensitized to the effects of cannabis and what might happen.

It happens, it sucks, it's time to take a break for a while and take stock. If you haven't built your life up around pot and don't have a dependence it shouldn't be a problem, not that there is anything wrong if you do. Give your brain some down time.

Cannabis is different for different people. Maybe one day you'll be able to smoke again, maybe you never will.

It isn't the end of the world.

Ain't that the truth. Reminds me of the time I had taken 5g of [decarb'd] hash oil orally. It was like everything described x10. Of all the psychonautical shit I've done that was by far the most unpleasant experience of them all.

I believe it was a panic attack the first time and perhaps subsequent and that what brought it on is that I was blindsided by how high I got, and that's what I'm more worried about. Something made my tolerance disappear. I'm high now with no abnormal symptoms other than the intensity of the high, I only took one hit and I'm super duper stoned, like as stoned as I was when I first started smoking.
Thanks for the help

From what I understand one can only aquire serotonin syndrome from certien anti depressant medication so as long your not take any of those you should be in the clear bro

I'm a smoker on a regular basis. I also would dab quite a bit too when I was first in college. The first few times man, I was high as fuck... but I didn't get as high as I did one day. There's literally never been a time i've been high that I felt like I couldn't function. However this one day I did I swear to you I saw some weird shit, I'd never think really you'd be able to.. but yeah. I mean was it crumble or shatter? I mean for me, idk about anyone else, but crumble just feels like it hits you a lot harder, more instant maybe? I've had multiple people tell me & see first hard after they had crumble they were light headed & needed to sit down. You probably did have a panic attack, when I was not feeling like I could function I found myself calling my friends like hey, come help me and my friend blah blah. With shatter though it's just really nice and smooth, and I've never felt like I had that one day on crumble dabs. But, I'd just wanna know what anyone else had said. This is just kinda what I was thinking/wondering about 8o

My friend was worried about me, and brought over some sort of chemical test for drugs, I was sure it couldn't be laced. But it was! It has synthetic cannaboids in it! This explains so much. I'm gonna go start a lynch mob and get the dealer.

From what I understand one can only aquire serotonin syndrome from certien anti depressant medication so as long your not take any of those you should be in the clear bro

How can you get sertonin syndrome from anti depressant? wouldn´t that be counter productive?

How can you get sertonin syndrome from anti depressant? wouldn´t that be counter productive?

SSRIs increase the amount of serotonin in your synapses. Serotonin syndrome is caused by having too much serotonin in your synapses.

It seems as if the dabs took over. I've never even heard of marijuana being relatively linked to serotonin. Next time just relax and tell yourself it's just the drugs :)

It happens to a lot of long time smokers. Time for a break and let the system rework itself. Something went wonky and set you into fight or flight anxiety mode. Been in the hospital like 10 times thinking i would spontaneously combust I was so hot all over and shaking. It was the ganja yet again. I kept playing it off saying it's only weed what the he'll is making me freak out like this but sure as shit every Time I would smoke again, the same thing. I think it has to do with potency these days.

You had a moment of increased sensitivity and "re learned" cannabis products to be hyper potent somehow. Tolerance is psychological as well as physical. I would take it as a positive and cut down to one gram a day. ?✌

In some shamanic traditions being sensitive to substances was seen as a positive thing as it allowed you to better gauge the potency and healing potential of various batches of psychoactive compounds.

Hopefully what you got was natural dab with noids mixed in ---rather than just a synthetic noid only dab.(less health benefits)

Noids are much easier to OD on than weed itself.

More THC(including synthetics), more hypoglycmia(blood sugar lowering effect) come on, you say your a doctor........
Supposedly JWH compounds 5 to 6x as potent as thc.(never stopped me though)

That's why I do not use concentrates, a lot of people don't need all that. Its just blowing the doors off. Concentrates are for the sick and elderly people that desperately need that 90, or 100% BANG!!.

I beg to differ, "blowing the doors off" is easier with concentrates if you want to do that, but otherwise you just use less .....dilute if necessary for a more controllable or milder dosage. The OP overdosed himself due to him not being aware of potency of that dab(not his fault really)

Actually concentrates may be too much for the sick and elderly to handle safely......

Because weed is a natural plant(with non-consistent thc levels) it is one of the most difficult of all drugs to control dosage accurately and consistently IMHO.

Last edited:
May effect serotonin receptors affinity, transporters, ect.,but not total serotonin levels persay as in serotonin syndrome.

MAO inhibitors combined with SSRI's or massive amounts of serotonin percursors = too much serotonin=SS.

Never heard of SS via dabs,noids,hash oil,ect. Plenty thc OD's end up in hospitals---never treated as SS which has a very specific treatment.

A panic attack can make one paranoid of serotonin levels,your friends, your parakeet,ect.

With same dosage by myself feel fine---with other people sometimes uncomfortable,even extreme social anxiety can arise.

Last edited:
yeah but in all reality who is gonna go to the ER for a weed panic attack you feel me? obvi some people