View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) wants to "crack down" on molly

dingophone

Bluelighter
http://www.schumer.senate.gov/Newsroom/record.cfm?id=345781

FULL TEXT:
WITH THREE PEOPLE RECENTLY KILLED IN NYC BY OVERDOSE: SCHUMER PUSHES NEW PLAN TO CURTAIL USE OF INCREASINGLY DANGEROUS AND POPULAR CLUB DRUG “MOLLY” – IMMEDIATE STEPS WOULD INCREASE ENFORCEMENT AND MAKE IT HARDER TO MANUFACTURER AND OBTAIN

Drug Is Frequently Counterfeit and Replaced With Even More Dangerous Substances – Schumer Led Charge To Successfully Ban Equally Dangerous “Bath Salts”

Right Now Molly And Similar Drugs Are Easy To Manufacturer Because Many Hallucinogenic Chemicals Are not Banned By Federal Law

Schumer Plan Would Have Federal Drug Task Force Focus On Molly Labs and Give DEA Emergency Authority To Ban Hallucinogenic Chemicals

Today U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer laid out a plan to curtail the use of the increasingly dangerous and popular club drug “molly”, a form of MDMA. This summer there have been a rash of overdoses of the drug, which is commonly taken at music festivals – three of which, in New York City, were fatal. Schumer said that the use of the drug is increasing common and increasingly dangerous, because manufacturers of the illicit substances are mixing other, more dangerous ingredients into the batches. Schumer, who successfully led the charge to ban “bath salts”, another deadly chemical drug, laid out a two pronged approach to fight back. First he called on the New York and New Jersey High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) group and the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) to bring a new focus onto molly labs. Second, Schumer announced he will push legislation that gives the federal government greater ability to ban the wide range of chemicals that go into the substance sold as MDMA or molly. Currently dealers are getting around federal law by slightly tweaking the chemical composition of substances that are banned.

“As this drug gets more popular, it also gets more dangerous as drug dealers cut it with increasingly deadly chemicals,” said Schumer. “We’ve begun to see the number of cases of overdoses and death rise this summer, and things are going to get far worse unless we take immediate and aggressive action.”

A comparison of the 2012 and 2013 Global Drug Surveys, conducted by an independent drug-use data agency, shows just how popular molly has become among drug users. In 2012, 26.5 percent of U.S. respondents had tried MDMA in the last 12 months. In 2013, the number jumped to 60.9 percent. (Over the same period, those who reported having tried cannabis rose from 69.3 percent to 88.4 percent.) A report by the Drug Abuse Warning Network shows that MDMA-related emergency visits have doubled since 2004. According to the World Drug Report, somewhere between 10 to 25 million people have tried the drug in one form or another. This summer, the danger of this drug came into sharp release when a rash of overdoses occurred. Two of them were fatal, and take place on New York City’s Randall’s Island during a music festival.

The first prong of Schumer’s plan calls for an increased focus on MDMA labs from the nation’s anti-drug organizations. Under the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 and the ONDCP Reauthorization Act of 2006, the Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) is authorized to declare areas that exhibit serious drug trafficking problems as HIDTAs following the successful petition by groups of local law enforcement. The counties in and around New York city are already HIDTA-designated counties, meaning that they get federal resources to combat drug trafficking and sales,

Law enforcement organizations within HIDTAs assess drug trafficking problems and design specific initiatives to reduce or eliminate the production, manufacture, transportation, distribution and chronic use of illegal drugs and money laundering. Through a combination of joint initiatives and resource and information sharing, the HIDTA program helps improve the effectiveness of drug control efforts. Schumer will call on this group to increase their focus on MDMA/molly.

The second prong of Schumer’s plan involves targeting the chemicals that go into substances sold as “molly”. Schumer will be pushing legislation sponsored by Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) to give greater authority to the federal government to target the wide range of chemicals that currently go into molly. In July 2012, Schumer legislation placed 26 synthetic drugs (including forms of K2, Spice and so-called “bath salts”) in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

While this was a vital step, illegal drug manufacturers can avoid federal scrutiny by “tweaking” the chemical formula. The Protecting Our Youth from Dangerous Synthetic Drugs Act of 2013 will combat this problem by creating an “Analogue Committee”, headed by DEA, responsible for establishing and maintaining a list of controlled substance analogues. This would be an interagency committee composed of chemists and pharmacologists from DEA, NIDA and CDC. This committee could ban substances that were similar in composition and effect to the 26 synthetic drugs already banned. Many of these “similar” substances are what is currently going into the molly sold on the street.

Schumer noted that he successfully led the charge for banning Bath Salts, a toxic drug that was wrecking havoc across New York. His legislation, signed into law by the president last year, permanently banned the deadly chemical compounds marketed and sold as bath salts and incense in the New York State and the United States. Schumer successfully fought to include three bills relating to synthetic substances – S. 409 (Bath Salts), S. 605 (Synthetic Marijuana) and S. 839 (Synthetic Hallucinogens) – as part of the Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act.

Is this the end of the RC era?

None of these stupid bans work.

The bans are the reason for most of the fatalities. More bans will result in more deaths. Also, along with the deaths, more young people will be made unemployable because of criminal records.

Government needs to concentrate on harm reduction. And the economy.

None of these stupid bans work.

The bans are the reason for most of the fatalities. More bans will result in more deaths. Also, along with the deaths, more young people will be made unemployable because of criminal records.

if only they could grasp the fact that what they desire isn't ever going to be where the currently seek it...

It sounds like Schumer doesn't know that the research chemicals which often go into molly are generally manufactured in China.

im guessing they dont actually know or care that methylone is not molly and that most methylone comes from china and most molly comes from the netherlands and canada. Not much being made in the us. Plus so what if it is a cI? Heroin is a cI and i can go get that whenever i want lol...plus adding the part about dangerous things being added is so mixed up.

The more they will fight it the more dangerous shit will come out to replace it. Dumbasses.

signed into law by the president last year, permanently banned the deadly chemical compounds marketed and sold as bath salts and incense in the New York State and the United States. Schumer successfully fought to include three bills relating to synthetic substances – S. 409 (Bath Salts), S. 605 (Synthetic Marijuana) and S. 839 (Synthetic Hallucinogens)
------

The users of fake MDMA tablets who now have bath salts in them and the LSD takers who now have nbomes to worry about and the pot heads who now have streets full of fake weed to navigate can all thank chuck and his new laws.
Did this guy oversee any mass bonfire burning of the newly banned substances? Did he do any follow up to ensure the massive amounts of these drugs were destroyed? Where does anyone think these newly banned substances end up? Oh right on the black market in unknown dosages, killing more people than ever.

I saw this in the Buffalo News today. I really don`t like Schumer. He`s nothing but a political asshat. The article I read seemed to confuse MDMA,"molly" and methylone as the same thing. This whole thing is pointless pandering in a attempt to get votes.

I wish he would just go away.

Chuck Schumer is at least one of the politicians I tend to respect. I watch C-SPAN on occasion and he really has a sound mind and discourages common Republican rhetoric by his sharpness, similar to Barney Frank.

The problem here is that he is tackling the problem in the frame-work that these chemicals are illegal in the first place as opposed to Ron Paul, in whom would rather end penalties for possession of chemicals. Its really disappointing that he has to go this ass-hat route. Im not exactly sure what goes in the head of someone in whom think banning something will make every one safer in total. Now you guys are junkies so if all drugs became legal you would have at it, but the people who care about their health would not start IV'ing heroin.

Now you guys are junkies so if all drugs became legal you would have at it...

"You guys?"

Are you saying you've never regularly consumed alcohol beverages, coffee and/or other caffeine-based energy drinks or supplements? How about tobacco-related products?

...but the people who care about their health would not start IV'ing heroin.

That's a rather ignorant assumption to make.

By your logic, I could say that people who care about their health would not start using any drugs whatsoever because I believe none of them are 100% risk free. Do you agree with this?

Re. Heroin - you should know that, aside from risks due to needle-sharing and possibly dangerous impurities in some batches; by far, the main reasons why users tend to overdose is due to the following:

- Heroin (and all other narcotics) depresses a person's breathing rate based on a dosage/tolerance ratio.
- As Heroin is a black market narcotic, users may have to rely on eyeballing (guessing by looking at the product) a proper dosage for their tolerance.
- As different batches of Heroin from different sources and dealers flood the market, purity can fluctuate wildly, which can lead to the user consuming way too much at once, which can lead to an overdose.

But what if we could nearly eliminate overdoses altogether. What would it take? Would it even be possible?

Well, firstly, needle exchange programs would eliminate risks due to needle-sharing.

And secondly, regulation of Heroin would yield pharmaceutical grade diacetylmorphine, which would remove any risks due to impurities, and would also eliminate the need to determine your dosage based on eyeballing the drug.

Lastly, education in relation to harm reduction could provide a user with important things to remember such as compensating for several missed dosages as tolerance can decrease rapidly.

I could guarantee you that if all black market Heroin was pure/uncut (e.g. 100mg = 100mg, 1kg = 1kg) and needle exchange programs were legal in every country, and also if safe-injection sites were to exist in major cities globally - it would significantly reduce overdose-related deaths due to Heroin use. Again, no drug is 100% risk-free, so I'm not saying it would completely stop anyone from dying, but it would be an enormous step in the right direction.

Lastly, if you were to compare the adverse long-term effects of a narcotic (pure heroin, morphine, oxycodone, etc.) with that of, say, ethanol (alcohol)... narcotic junkie vs. alcoholic - which drug do you think would do more damage to the user? I honestly would like to know what you think, because the more toxic/harmful drug happens to be legal and uncontrolled.

It also upsets me that Schumer seems to have confused MDMA and methylone. I mentioned methylone being Schedule I making it harder to get because vendors are less likely to ship CI compounds to the US via the internet once they are scheduled, especially when there is an unscheduled substitute for it such as 4-MEC. AMT was an exception to this rule for some reason that I am not aware of.

"You guys?"

Are you saying you've never regularly consumed alcohol beverages, coffee and/or other caffeine-based energy drinks or supplements? How about tobacco-related products?

That's a rather ignorant assumption to make.

By your logic, I could say that people who care about their health would not start using any drugs whatsoever because I believe none of them are 100% risk free. Do you agree with this?

Re. Heroin - you should know that, aside from risks due to needle-sharing and possibly dangerous impurities in some batches; by far, the main reasons why users tend to overdose is due to the following:

- Heroin (and all other narcotics) depresses a person's breathing rate based on a dosage/tolerance ratio.
- As Heroin is a black market narcotic, users may have to rely on eyeballing (guessing by looking at the product) a proper dosage for their tolerance.
- As different batches of Heroin from different sources and dealers flood the market, purity can fluctuate wildly, which can lead to the user consuming way too much at once, which can lead to an overdose.

But what if we could nearly eliminate overdoses altogether. What would it take? Would it even be possible?

Well, firstly, needle exchange programs would eliminate risks due to needle-sharing.

And secondly, regulation of Heroin would yield pharmaceutical grade diacetylmorphine, which would remove any risks due to impurities, and would also eliminate the need to determine your dosage based on eyeballing the drug.

Lastly, education in relation to harm reduction could provide a user with important things to remember such as compensating for several missed dosages as tolerance can decrease rapidly.

I could guarantee you that if all black market Heroin was pure/uncut (e.g. 100mg = 100mg, 1kg = 1kg) and needle exchange programs were legal in every country, and also if safe-injection sites were to exist in major cities globally - it would significantly reduce overdose-related deaths due to Heroin use. Again, no drug is 100% risk-free, so I'm not saying it would completely stop anyone from dying, but it would be an enormous step in the right direction.

Lastly, if you were to compare the adverse long-term effects of a narcotic (pure heroin, morphine, oxycodone, etc.) with that of, say, ethanol (alcohol)... narcotic junkie vs. alcoholic - which drug do you think would do more damage to the user? I honestly would like to know what you think, because the more toxic/harmful drug happens to be legal and uncontrolled.

If only more people would understand this and think that way....

I wouldn't want to be a junkie or an alcoholic. Give me uppers any day.

I wouldn't want to be a junkie or an alcoholic. Give me uppers any day.

give me downers any day, i hate stims xcept for clean coke. I got tired of the never ending teeth clenching paranoia fueled madness that comes with them.

It'll be my pleasure to cautiously stick with a narcotic and pretend to be nodding whenever I hear talk of a junkie roaming the neighborhood.

Edit - I hope I didn't get Spoo banned. 'Cause it was that guy -----> =D

Last edited:
tumblr_mtn59wjUlD1qiyefpo1_500.jpg

So awesome. A sensational article on "molly" above a research ad from big pharma to be a guinea pig for a completely untried drug lol.

^^ Oh I don't know, I've popped a molly and sweated, but never popped a molly and died. I've popped a molly that wasn't molly, that didn't make me sweat, but did make me think I was gonna die.
Say you eat a kebab. The contents of the kebab are supposed to be chicken meat, salad, onions, etc. If you then find out that the kebab contained human meat instead of chicken, what do you do? Do you ban kebabs because they could contain human meat, or do you confront the kebab shop and call some kind of health services to check if they make their kebabs with chicken or human meat? Schumer puts a ban on kebabs.

Now that I think through it, that was a bad example, but you get the point. Quality check, test kits, harm reduction, be fucking safe.