• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Selegiline to feel alive and start studying

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
hi all. I’ll keep this short, but you’re welcome to ask for any more background/context. basically, despite getting top grades at university, I’ve always despised Academic studying because focusing for a few minutes feels like being dragged through a thornbush. i’ve always suffered from chronic stress, mild anxiety/social anxiety, Constant fatigue and very low motivation which links in with my extreme tendency to procrastinate. all my symptoms have lately got much worse and I’m ready to take a pharmacological approach.

I want this thread to focus on selegiline alone. i’ve come to the conclusion that my memory/cognition is normal, but my emotional regulation and motivational drive are certainly not. I would appreciate anyone’s experiences with selegiline as a motivational enhancer. I want to administer moderate to high doses sublingually every morning on a daily basis. I don’t intend to use any other drugs whilst on selegiline as I’m looking for steady but significant and constant enhancement of dopamine levels. I hope to use about 5/10 mg daily administered sublingually and held in my mouth for about 40 minutes.
Before someone mentions ultra low doses E.g. 1 mg, i’m not really interested in the longevity effect. I am aware that selegiline enhances longevity very low doses, and this affects disappears at hire doses but that doesn’t bother me. i’m looking for the strong dopaminergic effects, I don’t really see the use of enhanced longevity if I don’t have adequate drive/motivation. also, as I’ve mentioned in other threads, but forgot to mention here, I recently suffered A few months of severe anhedonia which has thankfully gone away.

Selegiline lasts forever and builds up in your system. I've only used 5/10mg at a time for wakefullness at festivals, etc.. Never for weeks at a time. I've read that people who use very high doses to "speed" find it tiresome after a while due to the length.

Anyway, when i was using it as a smart drug, it amped up in effect over time. I got more alert, etc., as the days went on. Dosage was 1or 2 mg but I also did Phenylalinine with it which increases it's effects. As said, I felt it more after a week or three than I did at first.

I ended up not using it as a smart drug like that because it gave me insomnia after a while.
I've used single doses at many a festival, all nighter drinking, moving for a friend with a party after, you get the picture.

Selegiline lasts forever and builds up in your system. I've only used 5/10mg at a time for wakefullness at festivals, etc.. Never for weeks at a time. I've read that people who use very high doses to "speed" find it tiresome after a while due to the length.

Anyway, when i was using it as a smart drug, it amped up in effect over time. I got more alert, etc., as the days went on. Dosage was 1or 2 mg but I also did Phenylalinine with it which increases it's effects. As said, I felt it more after a week or three than I did at first.

I ended up not using it as a smart drug like that because it gave me insomnia after a while.
I've used single doses at many a festival, all nighter drinking, moving for a friend with a party after, you get the picture.

Interesting, maybe I’ll start with 2 mg sublingual for a few days and see what happens. actually, I think people taking selegiline for longevity take about 1 mg or less orally, but they are not looking for the dopaminergic affects which I am. if you don’t mind, please could you describe the effects of Selegiline on overall mood, motivation/procrastination and libido. I ask because I think these factors are relevant to my symptoms.

if anyone wonders why I haven’t considered traditional stimulants or Nootropics, i’ll explain. stimulants like methylphenidate and amphetamine are Great in the short term but deplete dopamine and can leave A person burnt out/tired with chronic use. with Nootropics, particularly the cholinergic or AMPA PAMs, I fear they could worsen my symptoms. they are brilliant for memory, with some actually proven to stimulate LTP in the brain. I used to believe I had memory/cognitive problems, but after several years of self reflection I realise that the reason for my Poor short-term, working and long-term memory recall when studying, is simply that I didn’t care and couldn’t be bothered with those things. I am always either distracted by stress or sometimes excitement for the weekend, exhausted/Struggling to stay awake, mentally planning what I will do once I’ve got that annoying piece of work out of the way etc. now, I don’t know if this is true in humans but it sounds interesting. I’ve heard that some nootropics can induce depression like behaviour in animals, Linked to the cholinergic hypothesis of depression. whilst AMPA PAMS are supposedly antidepressant, it should be noted that increased AMPA transmission, specifically through the calcium permeable GLUR1 Homomeric receptor subtype, in the nucleus accumbens is linked to depression/Anhedonia. finally, true memory enhancers, whether cholinergic or glutamatergic May well enhance the storage and or recall of traumatic/unpleasant memories and emotions in some individuals. That’s probably not the case for most users and for many, they could enhance resilience but I think it’s something we should always keep in mind.
I’ve heard that selegiline can improve cognition/Memory, but I think The evidence is weak and almost all of The mental benefits come from enhance dopamine transmission.

Interesting, maybe I’ll start with 2 mg sublingual for a few days and see what happens. actually, I think people taking selegiline for longevity take about 1 mg or less orally, but they are not looking for the dopaminergic affects which I am. if you don’t mind, please could you describe the effects of Selegiline on overall mood, motivation/procrastination and libido. I ask because I think these factors are relevant to my symptoms.
It felt like just nibbling on a hit of speed all day. Just a little bit, but steady throughout the day.

It felt like just nibbling on a hit of speed all day. Just a little bit, but steady throughout the day.

This might be just what I’m looking for. i’ve never tried traditional psychostimulants, like cocaine, methylphenidate or amphetamine, i’ve only ever used caffeine and occasionally nicotine. I would definitely quit caffeine long before starting selegiline to reduce risk of over stimulation and insomnia and so I can fully gauge and appreciate The effects of Selegiline. sorry to ask again, but if you did notice any motivational, emotional or sexual/Libido changes whilst on selegiline, please could you share these so long as you feel comfortable doing so.
It’s really hard to find good anecdotal information on the use of selegiline outside Parkinson’s and major depression treatment. basically, I’m trying to gauge whether selegiline could address my symptoms, based on what I have read about it already and now, from peoples own personal experiences with it.

This might be just what I’m looking for. i’ve never tried traditional psychostimulants, like cocaine, methylphenidate or amphetamine, i’ve only ever used caffeine and occasionally nicotine. I would definitely quit caffeine long before starting selegiline to reduce risk of over stimulation and insomnia and so I can fully gauge and appreciate The effects of Selegiline. sorry to ask again, but if you did notice any motivational, emotional or sexual/Libido changes whilst on selegiline, please could you share these so long as you feel comfortable doing so.
It’s really hard to find good anecdotal information on the use of selegiline outside Parkinson’s and major depression treatment. basically, I’m trying to gauge whether selegiline could address my symptoms, based on what I have read about it already and now, from peoples own personal experiences with it.
Especially the larger doses increase libido. The smart drug set wrote of that. Motivational, of course, but I don't have ADD. Maybe more emotionally fragile, like any stimulant. Like any stimulant, that could be poor sleep.

if anyone wonders why I haven’t considered traditional stimulants or Nootropics, i’ll explain. stimulants like methylphenidate and amphetamine are Great in the short term but deplete dopamine and can leave A person burnt out/tired with chronic use. with Nootropics, particularly the cholinergic or AMPA PAMs, I fear they could worsen my symptoms. they are brilliant for memory, with some actually proven to stimulate LTP in the brain. I used to believe I had memory/cognitive problems, but after several years of self reflection I realise that the reason for my Poor short-term, working and long-term memory recall when studying, is simply that I didn’t care and couldn’t be bothered with those things. I am always either distracted by stress or sometimes excitement for the weekend, exhausted/Struggling to stay awake, mentally planning what I will do once I’ve got that annoying piece of work out of the way etc. now, I don’t know if this is true in humans but it sounds interesting. I’ve heard that some nootropics can induce depression like behaviour in animals, Linked to the cholinergic hypothesis of depression. whilst AMPA PAMS are supposedly antidepressant, it should be noted that increased AMPA transmission, specifically through the calcium permeable GLUR1 Homomeric receptor subtype, in the nucleus accumbens is linked to depression/Anhedonia. finally, true memory enhancers, whether cholinergic or glutamatergic May well enhance the storage and or recall of traumatic/unpleasant memories and emotions in some individuals. That’s probably not the case for most users and for many, they could enhance resilience but I think it’s something we should always keep in mind.
I’ve heard that selegiline can improve cognition/Memory, but I think The evidence is weak and almost all of The mental benefits come from enhance dopamine transmission.
The major metabolite of Selegiline are the L isomers of meth and amphetamine which are some what active but I’m not sure to what extent

The major metabolite of Selegiline are the L isomers of meth and amphetamine which are some what active but I’m not sure to what extent
I think there are other mechanisms of action as well. But, yeah, that gives it a "speed flavor" if you will.

To remember, it's subtle. I think any looking for a strong effect wouldn't end well.
Still, it's handy when you want to be happy alert for an extended time. As a nootropic, it wasn't as effective (for me). For nootropics, for actual studying and learning, I found the "etams" (mostly Paracetum in my case) gave me the most focus.

These metabolites definitely contribute to the mild stimulant effect, but the major dopaminergic affects which may drastically alter human behaviour or emotional state come from selective MAOB inhibition at low doses and non-selective MAO A/B inhibition at high doses. apparently, root of administration makes a difference to the quantity, or at least the speed at which amphetamine metabolites are produced. taking selegiline orally allows for more extensive first pass metabolism, hence, more of the given dose of selegiline is converted to l-methamphetamine and l-amphetamine. on the other hand, when taken transdermaly or sublingual, almost all of the selegiline directly enters the bloodstream and reaches the brain where it directly attacks the MAOB enzyme. being a so-called “suicide inhibitor“, The intact selegiline molecules bind irreversibly to MAOB destroying the enzyme and at the same time reducing the number of selegiline molecules that will eventually reach the liver.

I think there are other mechanisms of action as well. But, yeah, that gives it a "speed flavor" if you will.

To remember, it's subtle. I think any looking for a strong effect wouldn't end well.
Still, it's handy when you want to be happy alert for an extended time. As a nootropic, it wasn't as effective (for me). For nootropics, for actual studying and learning, I found the "etams" (mostly Paracetum in my case) gave me the most focus.

Yes, you’re correct. The other mechanisms of selegiline you speak of is mainly MAOB inhibition. regarding the tendency of selegiline to produce extended alertness/happiness without a strong hi, that’s exactly what I want. Selegiline has actually been studied as a pharmacological blocker of cocaine effects, especially reward. some scientists initially proposed that the propargylamine group, by temporarily inhibiting the GDPH enzyme, could block changes in neuronal excitability thought to be involved in cocaine euphoria. however, this is only relevant when selegiline is still in the system and the effects are extremely short lived as intact selegiline molecules have a half-life of a few hours at most and Selegiline inhibition of GDPH is reversible unlike MAO inhibition. on the other hand, perhaps most other scientific studies and all anecdotal reports I have read suggest a more interesting and promising mechanism. basically, due to Irreversible MAOB inhibition, dopamine levels remain hi, long after selegiline has left the system. this means the individual is already in a heightened state of pleasure or other dopamine regulated emotional state. therefore, further elevation of dopamine produced by cocaine is either not large enough to generate a rush because of the small contrast of dopamine levels before and during cocaine administration, or because further elevation of dopamine reaches the range associated with symptoms of paranoia and agitation. many experience reports, including on Erowid support such conclusions with selegiline users stating that selegiline itself is a powerful dopaminergic stimulant which simultaneously heighten their general well-being and enhanced their motivation but at the same time rendered traditional stimulants either extremely aversive/Dysphoric or simply pointless as they already felt good enough on selegiline.
From what I’ve read, I think selegiline feels quite subtle but if you’re not prepared you can easily be deceived. yesterday I was reading Erowid reports of Selegiline users being shocked by dramatic enhancements of motivation and personality changes which occurred undetected initially. interesting that selegiline didn’t help your focus, but it could be that your brain benefited from enhanced cholinergic transmission. for me, contrary to what I used to believe and what people say or think about me now, my memory and reasoning skills are actually very good. unfortunately, these are often masked or offset by my extreme distractibility, fatigue, lack of motivation/extreme procrastination and stress/ anxiety. I know this, because if a task is low effort and there’s a reward behind it, then I often perform far better than my peers. this is strange because in most cases, my peers are far more hard-working and resilient and perform much better than me in high effort tasks especially when under pressure.

this is quite strange, but I’ve always had a deep innate feeling that Selegiline might be right for me ever since reading about it when I was around age 15. I wonder if it’s analogous to how some people feel that psychedelics were always right for them and were destined to come into their life and change it. something similar seems to have happened to me, as a very young child I was always fascinated with nicotine and wanted to try it and somehow imagined how it would feel as if I had already experienced it. when I actually tried nicotine many years later, it felt exactly how I imagined it would. this was no placebo because at the time of trying nicotine I had completely forgotten about my past fascination with it and it had been many years since I last thought about it. same thing May happen regarding selegiline, which I’ve not tried yet, I seem to be able to imagine how it would make me feel. eerily, it seems to match with what everyone has said here and what I’ve read in experience reports. maybe I’m looking too deep, but I wonder if this is the drug that will eventually find me and change my life similar to the way that people claim psychedelics found them once they were actually ready for them. given my innate and overwhelming aversion to psychedelics, which I’ve not actually tried, perhaps selegiline will be my alternative to psychedelics, which will do the job for me. of course, I know drugs don’t actually find people, but looking back on it, it is true that trying selegiline in my teenage years would not have been a good idea. at that point, I was hypersexual and extremely impulsive and it would’ve made these much worse. Now, after experiencing anhedonia and declining libido, as well as being much less resilient to stress and worsening fatigue, I think now is the time to institute selegiline therapy.

just pre-empting anyone asking me about why I haven’t considered modafinil as a motivational enhancer. actually, I have and I gave it serious thoughts before settling on selegiline. don’t get me wrong, modafinil sounds amazing and I will try it if available. however, in line with what I said previously about stimulants and nootropics, its effects can be unreliable, it should probably be a short-term solution and I feel it might lose the motivational kick after a while. whether it’s due to pleasure or motivational enhancement, this is the reason why many people who have tried both methylphenidate and modafinil prefer methylphenidate. it’s funny because some of them will subconsciously make up excuses about how methylphenidate helps with concentration, when in reality, the methylphenidate just makes them feel better. There’s no problem with that in my opinion, just that we should be honest with ourselves. we should know exactly what we want out of the drugs we are using as this awareness can help make better harm reduction decisions. for example, with myself, i’m fully self aware that I want selegiline for it’s dopaminergic enhancement which I believe will improve my overall quality of life. i’m ready to accept personality changes, hypersexuality, increased risk taking and impulsivity all of which can be quite severe at moderate doses. actually, I believe these so-called side-effects Which I normally problematic will actually help me come out of my shell and do the things I have always been too scared to do. of course, the only caveat is if selegiline makes me a bad person whom others see as oppressive/Evil. In that case, I would immediately stop taking the drug. however, I doubt and very much hope that won’t happen.

Actually, I’m sure there was some type of selegiline user guide on this site, I came across it about 8 years ago, i’ll try and find it, but if anyone else finds it first, please post the link here.

Actually, I’m sure there was some type of selegiline user guide on this site, I came across it about 8 years ago, i’ll try and find it, but if anyone else finds it first, please post the link here.
I was into this circa 1990, obtained Deprenyl selegline from England. International Anti-aging Systems ias-ltd something.

There was a mailed paper newsletter from Life Extension Foundation.

Still have their paperback book: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=smart drugs and nutrients morgenthaler dean&ko=-1&ia=web

Ward Dean was selling 10% GBL in water solution as RenewTrient and that got me interested in GHB and GBL.

The more things change ... People still looking for the magical pill to give them happiness.

Here's my free advice. Forget about happinesses and focus on your health. Do that and the happiness will come naturally.

Last edited:
I was into this circa 1990, obtained Deprenyl selegline from England. International Anti-aging Systems ias-ltd something.

There was a mailed paper newsletter from Life Extension Foundation.

Still have their paperback book: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=smart drugs and nutrients morgenthaler dean&ko=-1&ia=web

Ward Dean was selling 10% GBL in water solution as RenewTrient and that got me interested in GHB and GBL.

The more things change ... People still looking for the magical pill to give them happiness.

Here's my free advice. Forget about happinesses and focus on your health. Do that and the happiness will come naturally.

So have you tried Selegyline and if so, at what doses? I understand your point about health, unfortunately healthy diet and exercise have only partly helped me. people have advised using selegiline at extremely low doses, e.g. 1 mg per week because they are only looking for longevity. as I’ve mentioned before, the high daily doses of selegiline I intend to use are intended to considerably increase dopamine levels and restore motivation/Focus and reverse susceptibility to anhedonia. Selegiline is certainly not a happiness pill but I’m hoping it will be a good coping strategy.

So have you tried Selegyline and if so, at what doses? I understand your point about health, unfortunately healthy diet and exercise have only partly helped me. people have advised using selegiline at extremely low doses, e.g. 1 mg per week because they are only looking for longevity. as I’ve mentioned before, the high daily doses of selegiline I intend to use are intended to considerably increase dopamine levels and restore motivation/Focus and reverse susceptibility to anhedonia. Selegiline is certainly not a happiness pill but I’m hoping it will be a good coping strategy.
This was 30 years ago and I don't remember it had any noticeable effects. It was mailed from IAS-Ltd. and it was remarkable only because it was the first public mail-by-drugs through internation mail I became aware of.

With all the drugs available today if I'd be interested in the ADD drugs or explicit cognitive function: Amphetamines and Cognitive Function in the categories of Vyvanse if I could find it or Ritalin. Especially methamphetamine ina pure form, which I found a few years ago. There's practically no doctors today who'd prescribe those but I'ma gonna try the Ritalin eventually, hopefully.

(5 mg "dexamfetamin" does nothing for me went through 100 tablets real fast, imprinted BL scored other side, white round tablets from Thailand.)

I need stronger drugs way stronger than Deprenyl which did nothing for me.

Last edited:
This was 30 years ago and I don't remember it had any noticeable effects. It was mailed from IAS-Ltd. and it was remarkable only because it was the first public mail-by-drugs through internation mail I became aware of.

With all the drugs available today if I'd be interested in the ADD drugs or explicit cognitive function: Amphetamines and Cognitive Function in the categories of Vyvanse if I could find it or Ritalin. Especially methamphetamine in pure form, which I found a few years ago. There's practically no doctors today who'd prescribe those but I'ma gonna try the Ritalin eventually, hopefully.

(5 mg dexamfetamin does nothing for me went through 100 tablets pretty fast imprinted BL scored white round tablets.)

Those are prescribed for what you describe, not Deprenyl much.

Recovery from years of unhealthy living through improved diet, exercise, and good sleep sounds boring but to those I'd add hormonal TRT and GH secretocogue and better sleep using on GHB-GBL-BDO you could need all of those and recovery in this fucked-up world can take years or maybe never happen but at least you tried.
Was that the 1mg per drop liquid Deprenyl? That's where I got mine from as well.

Sorry I’ve said this many times before but just want to clarify something important. i’m not intending to use selegiline for longevity. rather, I’m looking for the antidepressant and dopamine enhancement effects. apparently, Selegiline doses needed for longevity can be as low as 1 mg per week. at these doses, there is no effect on dopamine or neuro transmission whatsoever, but instead it is thought that antioxidant enzymes are triggered. at the higher doses of between two and 10 mg daily which I intend to use, The breakdown of dopamine and certainly phenylethylamine are strongly inhibited. neuroprotection is still achieved but I’ve read that at such doses Selegiline either loses the longevity promoting effect or maybe even slightly, but in significantly accelerate the aging process. as I’ve said before, dopamine enhancement and the benefits it could bring far outweigh decreased longevity for me.