View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Seizure at a festival..

Bluuberry

Bluelighter
So guys.. In the interest of harm reduction I wanted to share this. I had a seizure at a festival a few days ago. Actually, two seizures, and I fought off a third one I think, it sure felt like that feeling was creeping back in. I *may* have had a seizure last year while candyflipping, not entirely sure, but my eyes were rolling and I was shaking, but I felt more lucid that time. This time, it was most definitely some sort of seizure, still trying to narrow down exactly which kind it was, but a whole crowd witnessed it.. I was on the second morning at the festival, hadn't eaten or slept at all and had not more than a quart or MAYBE 2 quarts, of water since I arrived (I know, I know) and had been drinking a lot of beer, doing blow and dissos all weekend basically non stop round the clock at small doses. I was wickedly dehydrated, I'm sure.

I was feeling pretty grand, dancing a little and enjoying the sunrise, and then everything got very weird and uncomfortable and I started turning in circles and twitching involuntarily, my backpack went flying of its own accord, and I hit the ground and fished out for a minute. I was conscious that this was happening, but had no control over it, no matter how hard I fought it. My friends and a couple medics ran over to help me and I came to, I said I was ok, and then seized again in my homies arms. Don't remember that part. I was told after the 2nd seizure I just walked over to my backpack and grabbed my tobacco, rolled a cigarette in 2 seconds like I always do, and started smoking. This part is really blurry. Anyways, I was walked back to my camp and watched over while I tried to chill. Still felt like something bad was going to happen. I should mention I take about 6-12 mg of my favorite benzo (don't want to name it and give it a bad rap, but it's comparable mg for mg to xanax) daily for about 1 year now (doses were smaller for the first 6 months), usually at least one small dose in the day and a big one before bed. I hadn't had any since arriving at this festival, so maybe 48 hours without it. So, at my camp and still feeling bad, brain sizzling, I don't know what to do. I think about the fact I haven't had any benzos and am probably w/ding, so I take a little. End up walking back to the medics camp because my friends are all asleep, and I get some rest there, wake up, feel fine, and go on about my day.

Soo, any enlightening ideas about what happened? I don't know much about seizures since, besides the possible candyflip seizure, I dont think I've ever had one. I'm doing research now. It was fucking terrifying, I'd like to not have this happen anymore. I have no history of seizures in the past and have partied just as hard at every other festival I've been to, if not harder, but with different substances usually. Generally psychs, mdma and beer and a touch of dissos, this time it was the combo already described above.. Not sure what to think, any information would be helpful. Like I said, I'm doing my own research, but if anyone has anything helpful to say, I would appreciate it.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I was mostly high on dissos so I figured I would post it here. I wouldn't discount the alcohol, nicotine, and blow though, obviously. From my reading it seems like lack of sleep and sodium and heavy drinking are all risk factors, so I suppose that's a start. Perhaps it was mostly from not taking my usual benzo dose for so long?

Last edited:
what did the seizure look like?, could you feel the seizure coming up? remember some good quality sleep between your "candyflips" or what it is :) - Im a epileptic and have seizure sometimes, so I think this is a little interesting :)

Take care :)

Probably a combination of drugs, withdrawal, and lack of proper care to your body lowering your seizure threshold.

Yeah I bet the lack of benzos was a large factor. If you're dependent on 6-12mg a day and hadn't had any for 48 hours, it's likely you were entering danger territory. Combine that with drugs, dehydration, and lack of sleep, and yeah... sounds like a recipe for seizures.

Sorry man. :( I hope you're okay, that sucks to have happen. Personally I've never had a seizure but it sounds frightening.

What? First your telling people to smoke pot seeds and now your telling people not to use drugs because of seizures? You clearly didn't read the OP and yeah if you actually have epilepsy, you probably shouldn't use chemicals that drastically reduce the seizure threshold(stimulants, etc.), but there are many that are perfectly fine to use with that disorder....

Yeah Im not epileptic to my knowledge, zero history of seizures. salmoneser, I got a sudden flash of alerts before it actually happened, but it was quite sudden. I could feel it happening but couldn't control it. My arms and legs started making weird jerking movements that made me spin in circles several times, then my muscles started contracting really hard and I fell to the ground and continued the jerking in my arms and legs for a few seconds. Then I sort of blacked out and just vaguely remember people coming to help me. I dont remember picking up my backpack or rolling and smoking a cigarette, at all. Apparently I had a second seizure while my friend was holding me and asking if I was ok, but I don't remember that bit happening at all either.

After doing some research last night it seems that it was simply too many risk factors piled on top of the benzo withdrawal. I don't think I noticed the benzo withdrawal because I was having so much fun at the time, I didn't feel anxious and didn't want to put myself to sleep. Apparently dehydration and lack of sleep or food, drug use, heavy drinking, lack of magnesium, and electrolyte imbalance are all risk factors for seizures, and I had all that going at the same time that I was starting w/d's. So yeah. Take care of yourself guys.

I feel totally fine, I even felt ok just a few hours after it happened. It was really scary though, I'll have to be taking better care of myself at festivals. Fuck benzos, I cant wait to not be dependent on them..

S I should mention I take about 6-12 mg of my favorite benzo (don't want to name it and give it a bad rap, but it's comparable mg for mg to xanax) daily for about 1 year now

Soo, any enlightening ideas about what happened? Perhaps it was mostly from not taking my usual benzo dose for so long?

This^^^^

You most likely had a benzo-withdrawal seizure. If your benzo of choice is anything like Alprazolam (XANAX) it has an elimination half life of about 8 hours.

Taking all the other drugs, and being dehydrated probably inhibited your liver from metabolizing it and your kidneys from eliminating it -- or you would have had the seizure sooner.

Benzodiazepine analogues should not be used recreationally for the exact reason of this post.

Barbituate, Benzodiazepine (GABA-ergic), and Ethanol withdrawal can be fatal.

My son has his first seizure on 2010 after staying up all night camping in 15 degree weather, smoking pot and taking mushrooms. His 2nd seizure was in college after again taking some type of hallucinogenic. Multiple MRI, cat scan and eegs later he was diagnosed with Epilepsy. He stopped tripping and was seizure free for 4 years. Last week he tried to experiment with a small amount of chocolate mushrooms and went into a seizure that would not stop. This is the only real scenario where death is a possibility, so the hospital put him into a coma for 24hrs (flat line brain activity, breathing tube, heavy drugs etc). No joke he almost died. Waking up for him also included waking up for him spiritually. I believe it is a combination of the seizure meds, mushrooms, near death experience, and a whole lot of love from his family, friends and work (Intense Emotions) that has brought him to this new enlightened place.
Now he realizes the damage and carnage brought on by LSD and will need seizure meds for the rest of his life and a constant worry that at any time he could lose consciousness and possibly die.
I am currently searching if anyone knows anyone who has had a similar experience. Specifically Epilepsy. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Just want to chime in and say that it is a misconception that you need to drink huge amounts of water when you roll. The water is just to cool when you overheat easily from dancing, but there is a limit to much water is healthy - not that long ago a girl in IIRC the UK died because she drank like 3-4 L of water in too short a time span.
If you drink just over the normal amount of water and are still hot you need to just take a break. 2 qrts is about 2 L right? Seems fine for a day? Hmm 1L maybe not.. The lack of food was probably also considerable... beer is practically hydrating hehe, well not really but I think it's close? It's the diuretic effect that is a problem - again the only real solution is knowing when to quit esp with the other drugs - otherwise you can't make it work hydration-wise.

I believe you if you said you felt dehydrated but it's wise to just prevent more dehydration at some point, rather than drinking too much water.

Yeah some drugs lower seizure threshold, a candyflip and coke does not seem like an unreasonable trigger. And benzo withdrawal well that can just be the last drop! I believe I've had seizure like fits, but only on LSD and nitrous and one time in particular... after that time I became sensitive to getting it again on the combo, or at least the prelude - so I obviously couldn't really do it anymore. Becoming more sensitive after the first time also seems in line with a seizure afaik - I guess tonic-clonic, but who can say really - I had a hard time self-diagnosing it ever since it happened.

Bluuberry get your shit together. Every post I've read from you reads DANGER DANGER DANGER

Bluuberry get your shit together. Every post I've read from you reads DANGER DANGER DANGER

Yeah that's really going to help him! You coulda PM'd that shit. There are many people on this site that have horrible tendencies! Don't worry, next time I see you do or post something out of line, I'll make sure to be there to tell you to get your shit together(don't act like you don't or won't either, everyone does some time as no ones perfect!).;) This site is here to help those with problems, but hey maybe you could strap him down and beat the problem out of him...?

benzo withdrawl, cociane alcohol no brainer really

start looking after yourself

first question why are you so addicted to benzo's?????? they have no long term efficacy at anything

Solipsis, I normally drink 4-6L water, not counting tea or beer, in a typical day. So at a festival where I'm awake constantly and dancing / moving around the whole time, plus taking dehydrating drugs, I think 1 or 2L total for 3 days is probably way too little. I don't think it was the cause but it probably played some part in the whole scenario.

pofacedhoe; that's kind of a long answer, and I doubt anyone really cares about my problems so I won't delve into it, but essentially I ended up hooked on them this time because I already have severe insomnia issues and I was living in a house with a girl who I broke up with and was extremely abusive to me; blackmailing me, etc. So a lot of stress led to me having night after night of zero sleep and my entire life was falling apart because I couldn't rest up enough to do what I had to do to move on with things. Started dipping into my emergency benzo stash for the sake of sleep and comfort from her insanity, and I was taking breaks at first, but that didn't last. She's out of my life now and at this point I'm taking them because if I don't, then I start shaking so bad that I can barely do anything (and apparently I'll have a seizure now if I don't..). I'm well aware that they are not useful in the long term, and becoming habituated was not something I intended on - it was a consequence of not giving a fuck about myself for too long.

I don't really think we need a thread about my various addictions in PD though. I've got a lifetime of problems to deal with, bigfuckingdeal. Thanks for the help, to those of you that were helpful. I'm slightly more educated about seizures now so I guess that's a win?

Last edited:
okay- have you tried using lyrica as a substitute to get off them?
In theory that would work but I know personally I'd take pregabalin over any benzo. Gabapentin would probably better as it would have similar effects but not really get you high unless that's what your shooting for.

In theory that would work but I know personally I'd take pregabalin over any benzo. Gabapentin would probably better as it would have similar effects but not really get you high unless that's what your shooting for.

it really helps the withdrawl hugely

It does but it's also very recreational so the urge to take more than needed would be for me at least somewhat high. I mean I guess getting fucked up on it for a few days wont be crazy determental but gabapentin works in the same way. It's just a bit harder to abuse. It's good nonetheless but pregabalin you could just toss back a couple of pills and be flying high. IDK, personally I would just want to take the drug with less abuse liability.