• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Seeing red "shooting stars" on the sides of my vision the morning after psychedelics

Seattle_Stranger

Bluelighter
Seeing red "shooting stars" on the sides of my vision the morning after psychedelics

Hello all! No need for rambling on about all my past drug experience blah blah details. I've tripped on various things several times, I'd like to call myself somewhat an experiences psychonaut at this point. Something that has happened to me a couple times and I'd like to know if it happens to any of you.

One of the very first times I tripped on 2C-E (actually it may have been THE first time I tripped on anything), I had a great trip, completely mind opening, I loved it! The next morning, I woke up, shower, coffee, this, that, feeling just fine, I load up a bowl of good quality cannabis and take a toke. As I exhale, I suddenly notice what looks like 100 little red shooting stars streaking from the very edge of my vision going towards the center, usually never lasting long enough to make it to the center. The entire phenomenon occurs for maybe 10 seconds, but during that time I see hundreds of VERY obvious streaks in my peripheral, and they actually look quite realistic. As if there were hundreds of fireflies in my room, and they all start flying straight towards a center point in my vision, making streaks of light as they fly. It's honestly a really cool effect, doesn't come with any other side effect, I don't feel weird or dizzy, just stoned from the toke I took.

I took 2C-E a bunch more times and never experienced this again. However, a few years after, and many many mushroom trips after, one particular morning after a light mushroom trip, the exact same thing occurred. First toke of the morning after, hundreds of streaks! This time my roommate was sitting there, and saw me looking around the room going "Whoa dude!" and he seriously thought I had lost it. =D

Now here's the one that has me thinking. I've been using kanna for about a week or so. Kanna is thought to be a non-psychedelic SSRI-type ethno, non-visual, but does carry some very basic qualities of psychs like making colors deeper/brighter, music enhancement, but all are very subtle effects. Over the past two days, I've been taking it orally and have been getting very interesting effects, very similar to the very beginnings of a moderate mushroom trip that slowly fades into a pleasant sedation. Nothing too fancy, just another legal ethno from the internets. This morning, I woke up, I got ready for the day and then right before leaving, I take a toke of weed. Awhaddaya, whaddaya think I saw?? :p The same red streaks! But I didn't trip last night! I had only taken kratom earlier in the day, 3 small 200mg kanna doses spread out over the entire day, and then weed and whiskey at night with friends.

Does this happen to anyone else? What do you think causes this?

It's actually somewhat similar looking to this, just imagine the streaks in motion, just as vivid and bright as they appear in the image, streaking from the outer rim to the center, but fading away before they get there:

51515415.HyperSpace.jpg

LISTEN. I had this phenomena a while back. And I could not find a single thread on a single other person that saw these... I know what you are talking about.. Little red dots that move around in your vision... I have this one that I have had for a few years and it is just one that stayed with me and it is just lightning fast moves around my entire peripheral vision field...
When it first happened a few years ago, there were hundreds all over the place, now there are just a couple...

But i got it from taking ecstasy pills. But those pills made me hallucinate and see those dots when the actual roll was over... so now i suspect it had 2C-E in it because you are the only other person...

LISTENING! :)

Glad I'm not the only one. Does it only last for a couple seconds, but long enough for you to get a good look at them? Like a good 10-20 seconds?

Do you think it's something bad?

YEAH! like sometimes in those waves they get intense for 10 seconds or so but when the wave isn't there, and I concentrate on a blank white wall, I can make them appear... Can you see them at will?

I have these as well but mine are black, with a blue "tint" to them sometimes. Some times its worse than others too...how do I explain this...

If I look at a wall, or a the night sky, or anything really I see these "crawling dots" all over it, these are the "black dots". The ones with the blue tent seem more like eye floaters meaning I they feel like they are IN my eye rather than part of whatever object I'm looking at. Sometimes I get just a few, sometimes a bunch, they generally float around for a bit then go away.

I've never done the 2Cs, my use of PDs is limited to; LSD, LSA, Shrooms, MDMA, and DXM. Cannabis does bring these out yet, but they are always there. I'm unsure if this is a defect in my visual processing because of the drugs I've done or if it was always there and I just notice it more now. I did see "crawling dots" in a dark room as a child, but its far worse now than it was then or I just notice it more as I said before.

I have other defects in my vision that I think certain drugs (like DXM) brought out but I'll spare you the details for now. :)

I've also taken Mirtazapine (Remeron) as a sleep-aid in the past and it really messes with my vision as well. I get "green swirly" CEVs, colors look brighter, I see things out of the corner of my eye that morph into something else when I look at them (like a rabbit really begin a small bush) and just all sorts of funky things. They also give me wild dreams...which is why I no longer take them.

The best advice I can give you is this: The more you think about them, the more you notice them, and the more stress it will cause you. Just try to ignore them if they cause you stress. Some people seem to enjoy them though.

You are getting symptoms of HPPD, this does not mean you have HPPD. It is nothing to worry about, it will increase and decrease with many different psycoactive drugs. Best way to lessen any symptoms is to have a healthy lifestyle, good sleeping patterns, abstain from drugs (inc. cannabis + anything else you want to consider a 'herb') and try not to worry about it. It will go away in time or you will get used to it so much that you will not notice it.

I get these while sober and experienced them prior to any psychedelic use, except they're iridescent, not red.
Also, you're smoking weed the day after tripping. These visual artifacts are actually milder than I'd expect.

ebola

most people get eye floaters... i don't think what the op is describing is HPPD

i first really noticed the floaters at age 13... for me they come when i'm low on sleep.
i'm guessing you don't always get a full sleep on nights that you trip. 8o

Besides floaters there's a bunch of strange visual stuff that have a simple optical/physical causes in the eye and have nothing to do with HPPD (which would likely manifest through unusual neuronal activity in the brain, I suppose).

I think psychedelics often tend to just make the user more aware of what's perceived. And that stays after the substances effects are gone once it's been noticed. So it would appear that the drug caused it, but this conclusion is not necessarily true.
I don't mean to say that your phenomena are only of optical nature. Just wanted to participate in the discussion with an alternative explanation :)

Thanks for the replies!!

If I look at a wall, or a the night sky, or anything really I see these "crawling dots" all over it, these are the "black dots". The ones with the blue tent seem more like eye floaters meaning I they feel like they are IN my eye rather than part of whatever object I'm looking at. Sometimes I get just a few, sometimes a bunch, they generally float around for a bit then go away.

I have noticed a similar phenomenon my entire life even since childhood, except mine look white-ish. Especially when I look up at a clear, bright blue sky, I see all these little white squiggly things swirling and swimming all around in the sky. I used to think it was my unique ability to see 'invisible' matter in the air. :p The red dot day-after-psychs thing that I see is almost the IDENTICAL looking squiggly/swirling things, except they are EXTREMELY defined and IMPOSSIBLE to ignore, and they are red. If I look around the room while it's happening, it doesn't seem to effect the red dots at all, they just do their thing in my peripheral vision for a while, then disappear. Doesn't matter what I'm looking at.

I used kratom, kanna and cannabis again yesterday, I even chewed 3g of coca leaves, and it did not occur again. Also, I should note that it only happens in the morning, not long after I wake up. It always happens on the very first toke of the day, and has only occurred a total of 3 times in my life.

HPPD? Really? If I look at something, anything really, it seems to always have some kind of warping/movement to it, no matter how sober I am. If I concentrate real hard, I can make objects completely distort, move, warp, as if I was tripping balls. I also often notice colors get over-saturated and even sometimes under-saturated, again, completely sober. I tripped on 2C-E for my very first psychedelic trip ever. Since then, I feel like I can always see those effects while sober.

Thoughts?

yeah, i definitely have exactly what ur talking about... There isn't really too much to say about them, except i know that they ARE NOT FLOATERS.

yeah, i definitely have exactly what ur talking about... There isn't really too much to say about them, except i know that they ARE NOT FLOATERS.

Yeah, they don't float, they seem like they have little minds of their own!

I don't mind this effect at all, I actually think it's pretty bad ass, it's one of the strongest, most realistic hallucinations I have even seen, I just hope it's not a sign of something bad.

Yeah, they don't float, they seem like they have little minds of their own!

I don't mind this effect at all, I actually think it's pretty bad ass, it's one of the strongest, most realistic hallucinations I have even seen, I just hope it's not a sign of something bad.

to be honest, given how rare it is, and how i still have it, and how persistent it is, and how it feels when i see them, i really do think it is not good...

however, i did do some research on it. and the only thing i can really place them as is blood cells. red ones. alot of people experience them when they look at the sky, but they see white ones. i researched this and the white ones are blood cells. but like i said, nothing on the red ones that i know of.. so i assume its the same thing...

check this out: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

EDIT (need to read the thread before I post more often) I specifically remember, as young as age 12, staring at a white wall 1-4 feet away and seeing the little bumps/shadows of the painted surface scatter hypnotically like TV static. It was very faint (if you're familiar with photoshop, think 5-20% opacity) and only showed up when I focused hard on it.

EDIT (need to read the thread before I post more often) I specifically remember, as young as age 12, staring at a white wall 1-4 feet away and seeing the little bumps/shadows of the painted surface scatter hypnotically like TV static. It was very faint (if you're familiar with photoshop, think 5-20% opacity) and only showed up when I focused hard on it.

I think ur talking about visual snow

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about, love the PS reference as well. :) Yes, this has been the case for me as well as long as I can remember.

As a follow up, I've continued using kanna since the red dots, including that very day, and cannabis as well, and the effect has not appeared again.

So strange......