• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Seedling with nitrogen deficiency?

Ah ok. Well I will start germinating tonight! New soil and everything. Will update when I have potted them!

PS: in my opinion, drugmentor, allthough seeming to be pretty knowledable on growing pot, most probably more than I am, they got one thing wrong in my opinion: N deficiency will show at the lower leaves first, because the plant is relocating nitrogen from the lower leaves to the higher canopy, where it is more of use to the plant to create leaves to do photosynthesis.

Upon reflection, I think you are right about this. Thanks for challenging me on that point. I have found that the first symptom of nutrient deficiency is a faded green colour at the growing tips of the plant, but my experience is mostly with coco and I now think it likely that this was caused by a Mag deficiency which occurred prior to any N deficiency.

Nonetheless, it seems to me that in the OP's case the problem was much more likely to be N lockout than N deficiency. Since Miracle Grow has a reputation for being too 'hot', and the OP fed the plant with additional nutrients, it would be quite puzzling if the plant was somehow nutrient deficient - especially given the age of the plant. The circumstances are more consistent with nutrient lockout.

OP, sorry to hear that your plant died. If you do a bit of research then you should be able to find a soil which others have had success with. Personally, I would go with the easier option instead of mixing up your own organic growing medium. In my opinion, going with a tried and true commercially available soil is less hassle and there is less room for error, but there are definitely benefits to mixing up your own organic grow medium if you have the time and inclination.

Last edited:
Ok so bad news. The plant got way too burnt. Tried flushing but by the time I had got back home I think it had already been to late =/.

Will be trying again shortly. Just gotta germinate more seeds first.

So should I possible flush my soil BEFORE I put my germinated seeds in the soil? That way I can add my own nutes from the very beginning and I will have control over how much the plant gets over the course of it's seedling->veg->flowering stages?

Sorry for your loss, is it really lost weed is resilant? Although overwatering and feeding are way more dangerous then giving to little. Men I really was hoping for a happier ending. Good advise drug_mentor informative.

If you want predicable and fast germinating I can recommend the DENO method. I can't find a link without the site selling something but the guy from the method was Norman Deno if you want to look it up.

In short (boil) some water soak unbleached coffeefilter in it, when cooled (if you boiled) put seed in it. Be sure up is up, the root should go down. If my info is correct the pointy side is where the root comes out and this site should be upwards. The root will always make a u turn and return to the soil. So the point should be up. This is logical if you go deeper into it as the root will be able to catapult the leaves up might there be obstructions built up after the seed landed there. http://www.thecannabisgardener.com/plant-cannabis-seed.html I hope this link is bluelight legal but this seem an non selling site. Following year I will make detailed notes as I have no clue how I placed the 3 feminized autoflowers I bought this year. And will experiment with an downwards pointed one to see what happens.

Place this in a ziplock bag and store somewhere dark and with suitable germination conditions. Check regularly as the time needed to hetch is shortened considerably, like halved or more. Although it seems like pure torture the plants actually dont't seem to mind to much. So the end result is better then nature letting do it's cause. Which means waiting for something to move the surface of you medium you would otherwise use to put the seed in.

If the root is out the seedling can be handled quite eassily and placed in your grow medium. Autoflowers direct in their final destination to avoid repotting stress.

The fact that you can keep an eye on the germination fase is absolutely +. The coffee bag should not be dripping wet btw just soaked.

A good grow medium with not too much nutrients and cheap is a mixture of cocopeat and normal potting soil. The first alone has to little nutrients and gives the plant no grip so to say. So I mixed with an ammount of pottiing soil. Check the nutrient facts before beginning on the coco and soil to be sure what's in there or call the company if there is a number.

Happy growing mr Deeds

Last edited:
So I am soil shopping. Just started germinating so it's time to get the right stuff before I start again. I found these seedling pod like things. Forgot what they are called. Kind of look like thick brown disks to start seeds and cuttings in. Anybody know if these are useful? I'm looking at the package but no ingredients are given.

Ok so they were peat moss pellets. I'm gonna try to start a few in the pellets. Anybody have experience with these. I also got an organic soil for young plants. So after the seedlings are about 2 weeks old I can transplant them into the soil. The organic soil is 60-70% sphagnum peat, with perlite, coir pith, worm casting, volcanic clay and lime (ph adjuster).

I found these seedling pod like things. Forgot what they are called. Kind of look like thick brown disks to start seeds and cuttings in. Anybody know if these are useful? I'm looking at the package but no ingredients are given.

That's the coco peat I was all about. Great stuff for air and moisture, but deficient in nutrients. Mixed with potting soil you get a ok grow medium I hope. My plants are 3 wks now. You can add vegetable fertilizer grains, the bio agriculture approved ones over here contain slow released N-P-K & MgO unlike chemical fertilizer's. Excess can be absorbed by the Cocos. But these theoretically will not burn the plants. Ime the liquid version of bio fertilizer does however burn the plants. It costed me some vegetables to find out.

What you have is likely dehydrated cocopeat. You add water to it before use you can always add more so start slow. The sucking up will be done by the peat. Just sit back and wait for it to turn to beatiful smelly soil.

Last edited:
Ok so they were peat moss pellets. I'm gonna try to start a few in the pellets. Anybody have experience with these. I also got an organic soil for young plants. So after the seedlings are about 2 weeks old I can transplant them into the soil. The organic soil is 60-70% sphagnum peat, with perlite, coir pith, worm casting, volcanic clay and lime (ph adjuster).

You are making a big work of it seeing your mix. But yeah replant when you feel they need a bigger pot. But not autoflower's they are grown in their final destination from the start! And if your coco is anything like mine I would recommend mixing with at least an equal part of potting soil.

Well the soil I bought said not to start seeds in them. But I figure I can insert the seedlings into the pellets and then fill up my pot (16oz solo cup instead of 1.75g pot) with the soil and put the seedling/pellet into the soil. There is netting around the pellet, is that just to help it keep shape and I just remove it after watering it?

And I don't think I have autoflowers, it's just bag seeds from bad bud haha

Why not try the Deno method with coffeefilters?

Technicallly the cocopeat should be ok for seedlings, but my own experiences where mwoah. So that's why I advised a mixture of potting soil with cocos. But it's all trial and error, but the germination method worked out quite good. Although I should have checked every day. They were way too long in that coffeefilter. But I wont make that mistake next time ;)

I have found that just putting the seeds in a glass of water works really great. I have about 6 in the glass right now and 1 is ready to be pulled out and planted into the soil. 3 of the other 5 are already cracking open as well. Tomorrow morning they should all be done and ready to move into their new earthy apartments =D. It's been about 30hrs~ since they have been soaking. I have used the paper towel method with some of my last seeds but I didn't get as many to germinate compared to this method.

I am curious can you describe it. Never heard of putting seeds in water. Soil, cotton and coffeefilters are the ones I heard of. But water?

30 hours is fast.

Yeah the method I use is hands down the easiest germination method I know of and it has so far provided me with a greater yield of germinated plants than the paper towel method.

1. Fill one small glass cup about 1/2 way up with room temp water. Preferably distilled but tap water works if that's all you have.

2. Drop seeds in the water; they should float.

3. Place cup in a dark cool room (75-80F) and let sit for 24hrs.

4. After 24hrs check on seeds. Some will have sunk to the bottom, this is good. Push the remaining floaters down with your finger, they should sink but if some don't that's fine. You might notice that some seeds already have their taproot sprouting.

5. Leave cup in the dark cool room for another 24hrs then go back and check on them.
The seeds will have opened up by this time, some more than others but as long as they are opening they are good IME.

6. Their are 2 ways to do the last step. You can either use sterilized tweezers or something to pick the seedlings out of the water and place them in the growing medium, or you can pour the water out over paper paper towels and pick the seeds up and place them in your growing medium.

Pretty easy. Just drop em in and let em sit for 2 days haha.

So I have them all transplanted into their respective pellets. Each pellet is in a 16oz solo cup with soil surrounding the pellets and slightly covering it as well. Is their any particular watering schedule that might help with not overwatering? It was very easy to not overwater in my 1.75g pot but these small cups are making it hard for me to judge how much to give the seedlings. And does the fact that the peat pellets absorb water more efficiently than the rest of the soil mean I should take any precautions about watering?

Ok so I actually had 8 seeds. 2 of them were particularly smal and discolored so I doubt they will sprout. But since I have put them outside in the sun 3 have already sprouted. Very happy about this! And to ask again, any watering precautions to take when considering I'm using the peat pellets surrounded by regular organic soil in a small (16oz) cup compared to the original 1.75g container I had used before? I do not want to over water. The large container worked very well to make sure I didn't over water but with this new growing medium and the downsized volume I am worried that I will overwater.