• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Seedling with nitrogen deficiency?

If your seeds are not feminized then I would suggest popping a couple more ASAP. ;)

In the absence of another thunderstorm, your plant should still be alive tomorrow. It takes a fairly long time for a plant to die from nute lockout and I doubt the nutes you just gave it would have pushed things over the edge. In light of the most recent addition of nutrients you might use an extra half gallon or so above what I suggested to flush, just to be safe. Whether you use organic soil or not won't impact the kind of thing you are dealing with now, this is a function of the nutrients in the grow medium. You can get organic soil which is too hot for seedlings. What you need to do is plant your seedlings in seedling soil which has less nutrients than regular soil. If you are growing outdoor and have access to good organic nutrients then I heartily endorse organic soil. But, if you are going to feed the plant with nutrients which are not organic then forking out for organic soil is a bit pointless.

I actually did use the miracle grow seedling potting soil, but for some reason I'm still having that same issue. I have read on other forums that miracle grow is just not suitable for this kind of plant. Is that incorrect information? I want to ensure the best outcome for a completely outdoor grown plant. The other forums have stayed that the miracle grow is kind of like an extended release version for the nutes in the soil and that is not suitable for the plant when it changes from seedling->veg->flowering stages.

They don't sell miracle grow where I live, but I know it has a bad reputation for cannabis growing. I seem to recall reading that Foxfarm was a popular soil with North American cannabis growers, but I could be mistaken. If you spend a little time on google I am sure you will be able to find information on a good soil to use. :)

I used coco coir for years. It is cheap, easy to manage and convenient.

They don't sell miracle grow where I live, but I know it has a bad reputation for cannabis growing. I seem to recall reading that Foxfarm was a popular soil with North American cannabis growers, but I could be mistaken. If you spend a little time on google I am sure you will be able to find information on a good soil to use. :)

Miracle gro potting soil is actually really bad for almost anything other than blooming garden plant transplants you buy from a garden store. Not just weed. Nasty shit, you're actually better off with a soil base with no added organic matter (or other fertilizer) even though you'd think low soil nutrients would be horrible for a plant. Not as horrible as miracle crap.

This is exact what I have heard. I had the seedling MG potting soil, so I assumed it would be a bit better than the regular one. Now my question is why is it so bad? It it because of the high amount of nutes in the soil which are fed to the plant over a period of 6 months? Would this cause the nute lockout like drug_mentor was talking about?

The slow release nutes, I believe, are designed to release a little bit each time you water. So if you have been overwatering - as I expect you are (pretty much every new grower over waters to some extent) - then this could cause the pellets to partially dissolve in the water and spread throughout the soil, creating a relatively nutrient rich medium. Moreover, you said you added high N nutrients. To me it both looks like lockout, and there is an obvious explanation as to what has caused this.

Have you flushed it yet? Unless there are bugs on your plant which you have not mentioned then I don't see what else your problem could be - and it looks more like nute lockout damage to me than bug damage, because there are no dead/dried out parts on the affected leaves. The other potential issue is pH, but this is generally more of an issue for people who grow hydro or use a soilless medium like coco. I am quite confident that if you flush the plant well and start feeding with low doses of water soluble high N nutrients you will solve your problem. My only reservation is whether a 6 gallon flush will be sufficient to get rid of all of the slow release nutrients - but so long as you keep the feeding dose low with the water soluble nutrients, and perhaps alternate between giving plain water and water with nutrients in it, I think you should be fine.

I haven't flushed it yet but am going home today so I will be trying it out then if it isn't dead. I have to do some research on flushing to see how to do it properly. Will update when I get to see it.

All you need to flush is plain water. Take 4-5 times the volume of your container in water, and run all of this water through the pot. You just water as you would normally, except a lot more of it. When the water pools on top of the grow medium and gets near the lip of the container, stop and let the water drain. Repeat until you have used all your water. You might want to move the plant away from where you normally keep it to do this, as you can imagine the surrounding area gets a bit wet.

Sounds really simple awesome. I'll be able to flush it about an hour and a half. I just got home and checked on it. It is alive at least but it is definitely struggling. Those first true leaves are now dry and yellow, there is starting to be some drooping and curling at the top leaves but they are still nicely green. The other thing I noticed was there were a few leaves with some brown tips on them. It's not spread very far up the leaf at all. Just a couple centimeters on 3 or 4 leaves on the plant.

Ok so bad news. The plant got way too burnt. Tried flushing but by the time I had got back home I think it had already been to late =/.

Will be trying again shortly. Just gotta germinate more seeds first.

So should I possible flush my soil BEFORE I put my germinated seeds in the soil? That way I can add my own nutes from the very beginning and I will have control over how much the plant gets over the course of it's seedling->veg->flowering stages?

If you are using organic nutes you won't need to worry about burning them.

It's best stay away from anything synthetic until you know what you are doing.

yeah I was gonna say, source some peat moss, high quality compost or worm castings, perlite and some amendments (eg rock dust, alfalfa meal,...) and mix your organic growing medium. the organic subforum on grasscity has some good tutorials I think. compost and a living growing medium has the advantage of buffering the pH as well as the nutrients being available to the plant. with inorganic fertilizers, it is far easier to do too much.

PS: in my opinion, drugmentor, allthough seeming to be pretty knowledable on growing pot, most probably more than I am, they got one thing wrong in my opinion: N deficiency will show at the lower leaves first, because the plant is relocating nitrogen from the lower leaves to the higher canopy, where it is more of use to the plant to create leaves to do photosynthesis.

Yeah I realized that way too far after the fact. I will be using organic soil and nothing synthetic this time around. So flushing the soil before hand then adding nutes is not a good idea?

Not a good idea.

There are only two times flushing is good:
A). You messed up and over fed them
B). It's a couple weeks prior to harvest

Didn't see your post before i responded Bagseed. I will have to look into the growing medium you are talking about. It seems a lot more beneficial then just adding nutrients to the soil though. My plant needs a good home to grow in haha. And I think I will start off in a smaller container as well then transplant it at about 2-3 weeks to the 1.75g one.

well in my opinion, it is a gamble... without some kind of analysis, you have no way to tell in advance if flushing and then using the soil will do any good. pH and EC (salt concentraion) would be good to know. on the other hand, if you are interested in getting quality product outdoors, I would just get new soil and get going, because if you flush your soil and it still isn't prime, then you don't have much of a growing season left. the summer solstice has passed and days are only getting shorter now, at least if you are in the northern hemisphere, as I assume. the plant would go into flower pretty soon and messing up again will mean no yield for the season at all.

You are right about time running out for sure. Even though it stays hot all year round, the days will definitely start getting shorter in a few months. I'll just get some good soil and do ph testing. How do I read the salt concentration? Similar to ph testing I presume?

And I'm not too concerned about growing a great quality result. I'm mainly doing this just for fun. But I do want it to be healthy and live through it's flowering stage haha

well, pH testing paper gives you a good idea of where you are regarding that. for EC you need an electrical device, but they are not expensive and widely available. it reads the conductivity of the water, so for example when you flush your soil, you can probe the runoff and get an idea how much salts (nitrates for example) you have leached out. but when you opt for getting new potting soil, there's no need for that in my opinion.

ps: if you are in north america or europe, your days are getting shorter everyday now. the longest day of the year has already passed. and when the daylight goes to under 12h/d cannabis will flower.