• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Safe daily codeine dose...

Anon1990

Greenlighter
So at the moment, I'm taking 150mg codeine in the morning, then 180mg or 210mg in evening every day.
Is that relatively Safe?
I don't touch any other drug including alcohol while I'm on codeine.

Is this amount of codeine safe?

So at the moment, I'm taking 150mg codeine in the morning, then 180mg or 210mg in evening every day.
Is that relatively Safe?
I don't touch any other drug including alcohol while I'm on codeine.
I started on just 30mg to get a buzz around a year ago and tolerance has built up.
Just can't seem to find a definitive answer to this amount being safe to take on a daily basis.

That amount of codeine should be safe... I would be more concerned about acetaminophen, how are you taking codeine? T1 ? T2? T3? T4? Are you doing a cwe?

Thanks for the quick response. I take codeine phosphate on it's own with no APAP so no need for CWE.
I always worry about respitory depression, but is that only relevant if you're mixing codeine with other depressents such as alcohol?

No, too high a dose of any opiate can cause respiratory depression. That's the main threat in an overdose.

You think my daily dose would be of any concern for It? For me personally? (With a high tolerance)

If you haven't od'd on that dose no, but it is a very slippery slope. To answer the question, is that dose going to kill you probably not, but that's the sort of thing that leads to harder opiates, which may.

You are safe Op, even your highest nightime dose is only equivalent to 60mg morphine, which isnt much considering you have been using for a year and probably have a fair tolerance.

Codeine is also said to have a ceiling affect, as there is only so much your liver can turn into morphine. Still, your biggest risk would be increasing your dose too quickly... so dont go from 210mg to 500mg. If you need more take more go to 220mg or 230mg. And then wait a few days before increasing again.

Of course... the further down the hole you go, the harder it is to climb back out... but im sure you already knew that. Physically, you'll be okay.

I always let my tolerance build to around this level, then I take a 4/5 day break and I'm back to 60mg - 90mg per dose until it builds to this again. I'm quite lucky in that my tolerance drops quickly. I wouldn't go higher than 210mg in one go.

Everyone's tolerance drops rather quickly with opiates. Is one of the big reasons guys who've been in jail for say a week come out do a shot/snort/eat thier usual dose and od.

Thank You Pickledlemons! Great advice. I feel a bit better! I'm definitely due a tolerance break, can't wait to be back down to 60mg a go!

You need specific antihistamines to combat histamine release and alleviate side effects

If it?s under 400mg P.O per day and your fine so far chances are you will continue to be, although tolerance breaks are in order, or at least cutting your dose in half for a day or two, then maybe even skipping morning dose on a weekend and it will help maintain effectiveness

Howard Hughes used to inject codiene into his muscles, on pretty much. Daily basis(although he may have alternated)

Of course, you?re not Howard Hughes (or even Leo DiCaprio) and Hughes had pure codiene to inject(why codiene, who knows? Easy access? Although he was insanely rich by the standards then)
Please Note: IV CODIENE IS/CAN BE LETHAL, even pure

Codeine is non-toxic and the dosages you're handling are not overtly dangerous. The biggest issue that I think you're getting ready to face, is dependency upon the Codeine.

I'm already dependent on codeine. Every tolerance break of 3 days+ I have awful withdrawal symptoms

It is what it is. Basically, if you decide to forego the Codeine in the future, the withdrawal should be pretty rudimentary and without the excessive misery commonly associated with severe Opioid withdrawal. Let us know if you would like to stop and we would be happy to help you out as best we can.

^ It wouldn’ Be pleasant, though would not even be in the same league as 80-90mg methadone MMT

LikeKeif said, do what we can, when we can, though watch out, Keif always eats the cannabis cookiies

Your actually dependent on DHC, a non-prodrug, fully active and more potent than Tramadol ; so Sean Diana bit-cuttibgyourdise to 25-50%wouldbe the simplest wd(if there is a such a thing

Andnobody recommended fucking loperamide for codiene - derivate wd; Seriously people, Hydroxyzine, maybe ckonidine, and an NSAID, brief benzodiazepine use use Amanda support is what you’re likely aiming for

Nit DHC ed?then cut indose in half, rapidly taper to less than 100~Mg per day and probably pretty painless; Promethazine it Hydroxyzine, or OTC doxylamie (Unison sleeptabs/generic) May be about all you need ; and some will/self control

Seriously why would Howard Hughes inject codiene into his muscles? Nobody!

Last edited:
Ide like to know why you feel you need to take so much daily to begin with. Codeine is my opiate of choice also, but i always keep it too once or twice a week, which helps with not only money but tolerance issues also.

The withdrawels are well worth it for a few days, and to avoid going down the path of looking for stronger opiates once the codeine stops filling the void.

Ide like to know why you feel you need to take so much daily to begin with. Codeine is my opiate of choice also, but i always keep it too once or twice a week, which helps with not only money but tolerance issues also.

The withdrawels are well worth it for a few days, and to avoid going down the path of looking for stronger opiates once the codeine stops filling the void.

This is a judgement-free zone my friend. I know you're not being malicious, but we don't like it when people make commentary on people's habits because some people are really shy about their condition to begin with. We don't want to chase them off. Oh, and by the way, the reason she takes it so frequently is because it's Morphine, an Opioid and Opioids are highly addictive.

We have countless threads regarding useful medications for mitigating withdrawal symptoms so I won't dive too deeply into it. Lorne, how dare you chastise my Cannabis intake ;) Those are fighting words. So, some medications that help, basically in order of how effective they are.

Gabapentinoids - Gabapentin (Neurontin) Pregabalin (Lyrica) Phenibut (OTC Supplement) Gold Standards. Effective for basically all symptoms if you get the dose right. I could be on day 2 of full-blown withdrawal and if I have Pregabalin, I can teach 7 hour long classes with no problem. These drugs should be in any user's toolbox.

Cannabis - It will stimulate your appetite and help settle your stomach. My strategy has always been, smoke and then use that time to hydrate and possibly eat a small meal. It can be very useful to have your food with a glass of water so you can wash down each bite. Also great for sleep.

Clonidine (Catapres) - Helps with hot/cold stuff. Can help you get to sleep pretty effectively. I've always just considered it a minor sedative. It's definitely useful, but the above are really what you need.

I'm kinda freaked out. I never realised my daily taking of codeine was abnormally high against other users?
Am I taking way too much here?
As I said, I have a max dose & have not & will not ever go above it. When I get to that max dose I start tolerance break again.
To answer your question, I just feel I kind of need it on a daily basis, it gives me the energy to do everything on a daily basis e.g housework & shifts at work. If I don't have it, I'm quite lethargic. I'm definitely dependent on it which sucks! But atm would be ok going as I am, unless it's dangerous & or abnormal compared to most people's codeine habit.