• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

RSPB Survey - Big Garden Bird Watch

I love watchin the birds out my back- I feed them a varied selection of treats all year round to attract all different kinds.

I'm really shit at trying to identify them though.

Get and RSPB membership and their book Bob - even just the book from the library. It really helps. It's an amazing thing to do once you start. its quite addictive...but in a good way!

I love all their little personalities and behaviours. How they take turns at the food whereas others fight it out.

^
We were a bit the same Bob. We take our binoculars n' books for bird watching everything just in case we see something interesting ...shocking behaviour for lifelong druggies eh 8)

But what's wrong with noticing the world and its other inhabitants in detail? We live on this planet with an amazing amounts and kinds of creatures and so often get stuck up our own arses in our own petty shit, we can hardly see past the next line coke (or whatever...).

Watch the birdies, see a bigger planet %)

I'm also into trees / plants but now I'm sounding too weird :eek:

=D

The younger Bob would be ashamed of older bird appreciating Bob

Second time you've made me LOL today. Same goes for young felix, who didn't give a shit whenever his mum would bang on about all the birds in her garden back in the day.

Last time I visited her, I was the one looking out the kitchen door, saying to her "did you know you have Great Tits?" And she said "yes, of course I fucking do". 8)

Hehe.

We just saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker out the window in the trees:

GSMale2Nehezy.jpg

gswflight3.jpg

Very cool bird!

One of them comes on my nuts (sorry). My best birds (i'm not that observant): Bullfinch, goldfinch, mistle thrush as well as the usual sparrows, chaffinch, tits and blackbirds; we had a merlin once take a sparrow out right in front of the window; and a magpie did it another time

I must get one of those books for bird identifying. I also want to get a botanical identification guide for when I'm going through the forest.

If there's anywhere that I frequent very often (garden, out the back of work etc.) I always seem to have a little wagtail come to visit. I'm always convinced it's a different individual depending on the location. They're such charming chappies.

SQUIRREL WARS!!! :!

Earlier today, I noticed this new one acting strangely on our nearest tree. It looked a bit odd and seemed liked it didn't belong.

AP3IBhi.jpg

Five minutes later, along came the resident big boy and fucked it right off.

hsE66Ph.jpg

Hilarious. :D

dawwww

I mentioned last year in this thread that there were a couple of eagles that circle close to my house. They're actually Red Kites.

I'm hoping to see eaglets in the Spring.

The wee linnets don't seem to be visiting our garden anymore. They were one of the few birds I can identify outside the window from their sound. I always see, or at least hear, them when I'm around the coast though.

The wee linnets don't seem to be visiting our garden anymore. They were one of the few birds I can identify outside the window from their sound. I always see, or at least hear, them when I'm around the coast though.
l

I can't think what a linnet looks like.

If you were a bird what kind would you be?

Me and my mate used to go down the town on a Saturday, buy a bag of seed, and feed the pigeons outside the town hall. We would have a competition to see who could catch the most.

I always used to love walking through the forest, tripping, taking in all of the sounds and to have a wood pigeon swoop past :)

I'm not sure if I've seen a linnet before either, but according to our RSPB book they're all over the place.

I wouldnae mind being a sparrowhawk. :D

On the last oil platform I worked on, about 120 miles out in the North Sea, we had a wee visit from a Sparrowhawk one week. You sometimes see other wee birds kicking about the platform if they've been blown off course, and they come down for a wee rest, a heat, and maybe some food. Well, that week they were all out of luck cos we also had the equivalent of an evil ninja Batman on board. This fucking Sparrowhawk used to fly the entire length of the platform (hundreds of metres) in about 2 seconds flat if he saw another wee bird in its sights, ending in an explosion of feathers and some very surprised oil workers. Not to mention a dead wee bird. There were feathers all over the place that week, haha. :D

Trust you to pick a big nasty raptor, as suave as the things may be :|

Linnets are such pretty, charming little birds. I was surprised you hadn't seen a few, as I see them quite often, and then checked up on RSPB and it says:

Linnet numbers have dropped substantially over the past few decades, with the UK population estimated to have declined by 57 per cent between 1970 and 2008. Recent Breeding Bird Survey results suggest that while populations in England and Wales continue to decline, those in Scotland and Northern Ireland are currently increasing.

Maybe it's more of a rural bird.

By the way, how big are these RSPB books? Are they pocket sized?

I guess I could risk getting my handbag dirty for the sake of birdwatching.

I was also just wondering - when you were on the rigs, did many rats find their way aboard?

Sparrowhawk made a meal of a pigeon in the garden today. Always tell a sparrowhawk as there's feathers all over the place.

Seen Sparrowhawks in my folks garden on 3 separate occasions. Once it was tucking into something but I'm not sure what it was! And of course there is the photo I got of one flying over with something in its talons.

Sure are a spectacular bird to see.

We think we may have had a Ring Ouzel in our garden recently which would have been something since they generally are upland birds that migrate over the winter. Odds on one being around lowland in the wrong season? Probably slim but it really does look like this:

ring-ouzel.jpg

I was also just wondering - when you were on the rigs, did many rats find their way aboard?

Believe it or not, I have never seen an actual live wild rat in my life. (Apart from in pet shops.) How come everyone else gets to see them and I don't? I'm beginning to think it's actually a bit fucking weird that a 45 year old man who has been in all sorts of shitholes and environments all over the planet has yet to see a fucking rat. I've seen Tasmanian Devils and Giraffes and Tigers, but not one rat.

I'm serious. Do they even exist? Or am I just extremely unobservant?

Oh, mice & rats aren't a problem on oil rigs.