• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

RIP PhreeX

I love that we have connected on Facebook, phreexmom :) Getting to know David through you, and you in the process, has been really lovely. I hope you and A had a special Christmas together <3 Let's hope 2012 brings about more understanding of the issues close to your heart <3 <3

Happy New Year to all

Thank you for the kind words, Samadhi, and everyone. I hope all of you have a good 2012 and that any challenges you face will be overcome by your strength of will and determination and work. It means a lot to me to hear from and have the support of you who understand my David and what he lived, and died with. Perhaps you also understand the stigma that is unfairly aimed at those with problems. Just know that the problem is not you, it is society, in many cases. Be strong, Never give up, you are valuable, you are loved..... For you, David. love, Momma xoxoxox

I can't beleve he's dead. I remember him being in a coma in 2003. I lso have spoken to him in the past. He will be missed. :-(

David's Mom: Have you considered action against the EMTs / Chief?

I just happened across this by chance, and while deeply saddened and shocked by it, I think if any of us said we didn't see it coming, we were in denial. He lived life as he saw fit, and no one can fault him for it as it was his to live. HOWEVER; we can have our opinions, and unfortunately, some of his choices turned out to be pretty selfish :(

I'm an old-school Bluelighter... Forget what name I used to have on here... That was so long ago. I met PhreeX on BL (he may have been the reason I joined) and talked to him a few times... Also helped him out with some problem he was having on his members only website (I forget all the details of the site, etc... I wish I could remember all of this) that he eventually started.

He was always a really nice guy and very helpful from what I remember...

One thing I don't recall is PhreeX being an ass as some have stated. I'm not saying he wasn't, I just never saw that side of him. The few times he and I chatted, he was nothing but down-to-earth and respectful. I never really paid much attention to how he spoke to some on here, but judging just off of my limited interactions with PhreeX, I get the impression that if he was rude to them, there was probably a reason for it (we all know the idiots who come on here and ask absolutely stupid questions, or give harmful advice, and make you just want to scream).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TAoS (The Art of Scripting); perhaps the work which PhreeX was most famous for. His knowledge in that area helped me get small temporary scripts of weaker pain meds in times of legitimate medical need, due to excruciating jaw pain and migraines from severe TMJ (debilitating pain from a condition which was literally impossible to directly get even a 1 week script of narcotics for), as well as a couple of times after I herniated 2 discs in my back but wasn't going to pain management.

Sure, many people abused the knowledge, but that is one way in which David helped me personally without even knowing it... He saved me from a good bit of suffering honestly.

Phreex's mom and sister; I am very sorry for your loss. I genuinely feel for y'all... I can't imagine what the years have been like for you, both through his life and death. His actions were selfish and have obviously put you through untold torment, but he must have been suffering horribly... I never knew David had issues, honestly... Never talked to him enough. The few times I did talk to him, he seemed like a cheerful and intelligent care-free guy.

I do have a question for you, which I'll precede with this quote because it is relevant:

The Fire Chief still will not release the EMTs records to me or the Sheriff, he 'said'.....only one reason for that is possible....to cover up their incorrect and heartless actions. CYA authorities, no surprise there.......

Have you ever thought about seeking legal action? If the level of willful neglect was truly as severe as stated, every guilty party should be made to answer...

Nothing you do can bring your son back, but perhaps it will keep another mother from losing her son.

I would seriously start making calls to some attorneys and make something happen. If the neglect was that prevalent, and no one has fessed up and even offered an apology or admission, then the idiots will likely do it again.

As far as the Fire Chief refusing to release records; file an FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request... It is your legal right.
Better yet, speak with an attorney and have him uncover these records and many more in discovery then nail these heartless fucks to the wall for their intentional neglect.

I really think (if they knew David's past) that they chose to neglect to act based solely on past experiences, but when it comes to saving a fucking life, there is no choice to be made. You NEVER give up on a person just because they have a history of abuse; ESPECIALLY when giving up on them means potentially costing them their life.

All it takes is some phone calls, and no attorney will charge you a penny upfront if they decide to take the case. I'm not by any means trying to put words in your mouth or read your mind, but if you haven't done it because of the circumstances, please know that there is nothing dishonorable; nothing to be ashamed of about the situation...

David was obviously sick, and incapable of rational action at times. The EMTs / Police Chief, on the other hand, were completely capable of rational action (and even trained to perform said action), but willfully neglected to carry it out if your account is accurate.

To put it in perspective:
- David's lack of ABILITY to make a rational choice cost HIM his life...
- The EMTs / Chief's lack of WILLFULNESS to act cost DAVID his life.

HUGE difference there, and the only shameful part about this story is that these assholes were too incompetent or too damn lazy to do their job. How many more times will it happen?

I am by no means trying to tell you what to do, or to put you through any more hell than you have already had to endure... I just want to make it clear to you that you are completely and utterly justified in taking action here... In making the guilty parties pay for the action that they failed to take.

If you do decide to pursue it, it isn't too late... I'd start by calling attorneys who specialize in Medical Malpractice (long shot) or more likely Wrongful Death. Really, any Tort lawyer should be able to point you in the right direction. If you truly want to pursue it, pick up the phone and don't put it down until you've got a firm "YES". I guarantee you could find someone to take the case if everything went down like you've said.

I'll send you a PM with some contact info for me on the off chance that you would like some help, or just have any questions or need any support.

I truly do feel for you, and can't begin to imagine what you have gone through, and undoubtedly are still continuing to go through. :( Whatever the future may hold, I wish you nothing but the best and I sincerely wish you the power to continue to have strength and acceptance and keep your head high. <3

I apologize if I came across as a bit brash or blunt, but it hurts to see someone go through this, even if it is 2 years later, and even if it someone who I don't know.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kind post, dsf. I wish everyone could see through phreex, David's, 'tough exterior' to see he had a 'soft underbelly' and was very loving, good, kind, smart, thoughtful. It has literally broken my heart, according to my cardiologist, all that has happened to David, especially finding him in his bed. The trauma of that day has crippled me for life, and may well have ended my life as well as David's. I am so glad that some one other than myself could see that David was very loveable, and cared about him. I have tried lawyers and legal avenues but they would not take the case. Society is ignorant, uncareing and undeserving of one as loving as my David, and myself and those like you who understand. It is sad that we cannot change this attitude, but I fear it has always existed, and always will, and we who are loving, sensitive and weak will always fall prey to it...and end up dead...just as society desires. Thank you for your kind words. Keep fighting for your self worth and identity. Phreexmom http://www.virtual-memorials.com/main.php?action=view&mem_id=21505&page_no=4

My Precious Son

Thank you for remembering my David, everyone. It means a lot to me. All of my family, 'friends', and 'nice Christian people' have only continued to criticize David, just as they did when he was alive. David was right about so many things, he was ahead of his time regarding Harm Reduction, legalizing drugs, changing society to prevent some causes of drug use.....like prejudice, poverty, ignorance. "All land is God's land, All people are God's people" (if you believe in God).

PhreeX was (still is) a legend. It was reading his information where i learned pretty much everything i needed to know about HR. I think the circumstances surrounding that fateful day are disgusting, and i hope you get justice. So sorry for your family's loss. May Davids input on BL live on and help many lives for many generations. Much love RIP

I haven't been on this forum since 2004, when I had a different account. I remember Phreex, his insightfullness and honesty. I recommended a friend to chat with him when her husband wanted to taper off his fentayl and methadone. I came back because I still struggle and hope to find honest connections here.

RIP Phreex. If you see my dad, please do have a bevvie with him, he'd like you :)

Thank you for remembering my David, everyone. It means a lot to me. All of my family, 'friends', and 'nice Christian people' have only continued to criticize David, just as they did when he was alive. David was right about so many things, he was ahead of his time regarding Harm Reduction, legalizing drugs, changing society to prevent some causes of drug use.....like prejudice, poverty, ignorance. "All land is God's land, All people are God's people" (if you believe in God).

I'm double-posting something awfully pertinent.
He was ahead of his time, something he always knew. My life is better for having known him, lesser for not making more memories with him. All the love in the world to D's family and friends.

"So we'll leave the ones who've hated
And we'll grieve the ones who didn't make it
And we'll breathe from what's created
All of our lives.."
- Saint by Ours/Jimmy Gnecco

Thank you for your nice post and email

I'm double-posting something awfully pertinent.
He was ahead of his time, something he always knew. My life is better for having known him, lesser for not making more memories with him. All the love in the world to D's family and friends.

"So we'll leave the ones who've hated
And we'll grieve the ones who didn't make it
And we'll breathe from what's created
All of our lives.."
- Saint by Ours/Jimmy Gnecco

Thank you for contacting me with your kind email, and for your kind posts here. David, Phreex, was good, kind and loving.....a foreigner in this cruel land. <3

My heart goes out the family and friends of David. Reading up HR information a few years back and stumbled across MANY posts by PhreeX thus inspired me into joining BL and spreading the word of HR and practicing all I could read. Much love to all of you <3 and I look forward to finally meeting you when I pass on.

thank you for the kind words

My heart goes out the family and friends of David. Reading up HR information a few years back and stumbled across MANY posts by PhreeX thus inspired me into joining BL and spreading the word of HR and practicing all I could read. Much love to all of you <3 and I look forward to finally meeting you when I pass on.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to reply with kind words. David was a most kind and loving person. He brought endless joy to my life for 30 years. I miss him terribly.:(

He lives on forever through bluelight, im sure im not the only one who can say his posts have saved my life many times over :) and ill pay it forward for as long as i can and hopefully who i pass it onto will pay it forward, potentially saving/improving the lives of hundreds if not thousands. Its like we're his bluelight children, and eventually harm reduction will be more widespread, and deep down inside we know one of the pioneers who was able to make that a success, your incredible son.

David was right about so many things....

He lives on forever through bluelight, im sure im not the only one who can say his posts have saved my life many times over :) and ill pay it forward for as long as i can and hopefully who i pass it onto will pay it forward, potentially saving/improving the lives of hundreds if not thousands. Its like we're his bluelight children, and eventually harm reduction will be more widespread, and deep down inside we know one of the pioneers who was able to make that a success, your incredible son.

Thank you. David often spoke of how Ketamine, 'special K', and Ecstasy really relieved depression, where regular prescriptions did not. Now, many scientific groups have verified this very thing and these two 'drugs' are being tested and used on patients now. David was RIGHT, and they just called him a 'drug addict' whenever he spoke of such things. I guess that makes all doctors, pharmacists, scientists and chemists 'drug addicts' as well. You were right, David. You knew exactly what you were talking about.

I knew Dave quite well (since 2001). I am proud to say that together, Dave and I shaped a then fledgling forum (Other Drugs) into the beast it is today I have a substantial amount of correspondence from Dave which i could gladly share upon request.

Oh, on a positive note, I myself was addicted to all the drugs that Dave had been abusing (particularly those to which he eventually led to his demise, fentanyl and diazepam), and despite having experienced the disasters and horrors inherent to opioid and benzo addiction, I have been able to effectively 'free' myself of opioid addiction. I dislike the AA approach to addiction, and as a result, have not counted the precise time when I became free of opioid addiction, but it has been a good 5 years. In my case, methadone maintenance (ultra high-dose) was instrumental to my escape, and with great freedom of dosing, I was able to gradually discontinue at my discretion. I am however, not at all religious or neurotic regarding my 'sobriety', and if I felt so inclined, I could take opioids. But since I no longer feel particularly inclined, and I am conscientious about my susceptibility to opioid dependency, I rarely find myself fooling with opioids.

In other words, I once was a junkie, a fiend among fiends, and now I am not. I am now a somewhat boring professional, whose colleagues would be shocked to know that I used to 'shoot-up heroin' or "inject the unfiltered gel from duragesics", etc.

The people who knew me back then expected that I was not long for this world, including your son.

On an trivial note, I have actually spoken to you (Dave's Mom) on the telephone, albeit incidentally and only in brief.