• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Rectal Administration of Cannabis

^

I agree, I was just saying it could work, not that it was a superior or good way to use to it vs orally or smoked.

Thought this would be useful.

If you look at Ch. 8 of Medicinal Use of Cannabis and Cannabioids ed. Guy etc. there's info pertinent to this thread.

"Metabolim and pharmacokinetics of cannabinoids" by Gabrielle Hawksworth and Karen McArdle

smoking bioavailability - 10 - 27%

injecting bioavailability - roughly twice as 'bioavailable' as smoking

eating bioavailability - about 6% bioavailable, although better uptake if consumed in oil/fat --- also note that about 50% of THC is converted to 11-OH-THC, which has several times the potency of THC

rectal bioavailability - very effective - scientists who inserted a 9-THC hemisuccinate ester suppository in a dog found 67% bioavailability

That said, unless there's a specific reason to in the case of a medical condition, I think it would still be a bit pointless. Also, we are humans so the results may very well be different.

edit: by the way, just to add, if you go down the alcohol sublingual route, it is a good idea to add in a bit of propylene glycol to prevent separation over time, allowing it to be sprayed under the tongue like Sativex without blocking the nozzle.

Last edited:
re: the different ROA's It does not mention in what form it was with injection (and really, one should not consider injection of something you made from a plant at home) and for rectal it was the hemisuccinate, which is not the same as what you will wind up with from a quick kitchen extraction, and may not be a valid approximation of that.

I shall stick blazing instead of irrigating my colon with plant goop.

I've never tried sublingual alcoholic weed tincture, but the mucous membranes of the rectum are just as sensitive as those found in the mouth. Be prepared for burning irritation if the alcohol level is too high. Dilution could bring in the other issue-- that it gets kinda difficult to hold in more than a couple ml's of irritating liquid without accidentally squirting it right back out when you sneeze.

Hmmm, I've been wondering about this question for some time and would be interested.
I think an interesting possibility would be to do an extraction of cannabis in glycerol (aka glycerine) and use a syringe (or lube shooter) to put a quantity up your bum.
As glycerine is non-toxic and doesn't irritate body tissues I think this might be worth looking at.
I don't like smoking or inhaling stuff, which is why this ROA interests me.

Did this with solid coconut oil suppositories. Did not work well at all for me or my girl. Mild relaxation that could have been placebo and that's it. Maybe alcohol (ouch) or glycerin would work better, but I've found that glycerin really sucks when it comes to absorbing THC.

Make edibles. They work great if you do them right.

Last edited: