View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Recovery From A Bad LSD Trip

Sixty60

Greenlighter
About a month and a half ago I took LSD for the second time (the first time was 6 months prior to the second one). Anyways I decided to trip with one of my close friends during the day. After about an hour I didn't feel anything so I decided to smoke a bowl to myself, immediately after I smoked I felt an intense rush of fear and anxiety come over me immediately I knew I was fucked for the next 6-8 hours I experienced extreme anxiety and essentially a very long panic attack.

The next two weeks I felt completely normal went back to smoking weed right away ( I am 21 right now and have been smoking weed everyday since I was 16). Then one day two weeks later I smoked weed before going to the airport to visit my sister, I felt fine until I got on the plane then all of a sudden same exact feeling like the bad trip extreme fear and panic. I managed to calm myself down but after I landed I knew something was wrong and that this anxiety was going to linger.

I returned home went to school Monday Tuesday and then on Wednesday morning I experienced panic attacks all morning. Thursday same thing happened so I decided to take Friday off and recover over the weekend, wrong! Friday and Saturday I couldn't stop thinking about the acid trip and the panic attacks, those two days I was so afraid I couldn't go outside because I didn't know wtf was going on. Things just got worse and I dropped out of school because of it.

I went to the doctor before I quit school and told him everything about the bad trip my weed addiction everything, he prescribed me Xanax and it helped with the panic attacks. I realized though that the Xanax would only mask my problems and I wanted to fight this naturally with no drugs.

I quit everything weed and drinking and no Xanax atleast until I can go a couple months with no panic attacks or anxiety. Anyways for the most part things are getting a lot better but I still have 1 bad day out of the week where it's like a flashback to the bad trip( a lot better than 3-4 days a week.)

So I'm making major improvements and I realize I'll have bad days here and there if I decide to fight this naturally with no drugs. I guess my main question is has anyone experienced something similar to this and will these symptoms go away with time, if so how long? I'm never doin LSD again but I'm just looking for some reassurance that this shit will pass in time. It's mostly anxiety that I'm dealing with but there are brief moments where I feel a little depressed (not like I wanna kill myself or anything but just kinda sad about the whole situation) because I feel like the anxiety won't go away.

Anyways if any of u have some good advice about recovering from a bad LSD trip that would be much appreciated, thanks!

Whilst the LSD was undoubtedly a critical factor, it could in my opinion be largely down to the weed

Every person I've ever known to smoke weed on any kind of regular basis has quit because of psychological issues (eventually), which could be roughly summed (generally) up as anxiety.

Maybe excessive weed smoking had you on the brink of developing such symptoms, and then the heightened LSD state kicked it in.

The reason I specifically mention this is that you need to be aware that this could happen again if you smoke weed (which you probably want to do when you feel the anxiety has passed). If you had a weed habbit for 5 years and felt it didn't cause any ill-effect, then you may think that weed is a safe bet once it's passed. Just recognise that the weed was likely a significant factor and could potentially re-trigger anxiety any time you smoke it from now.

Generally I'd say it's likely to pass, but some people once afflicted with anxiety have it for the rest of their lives.

I think the most important thing to do is 1. recognise it (which you've done), 2. decide not to accept it (which you've done) and then 3. change your daily experience to fill you with things that don't cause you anxiety. Sunshine, nature, healthy food, exercise and meditation are ways to do this. I find that if I'm occupied I forget about my anxiety. We tend to distract ourselves with things like the internet and social media but in my experience it is a false distraction and they are in fact total anxiety/depression magnets.

One of the most important things I've learnt is that if you are aware and in control of your thoughts you DO NOT have to think about certain things which might be negative anxiety triggers.

Basically you do not have to experience anxiety, but it is hard work to take the steps to most increase the chances of it dissipating.

i am glad to hear that things are looking up OP.

while i have to agree that the weed probably set the chain reaction of panic and anxiety into motion, it definitely isnt to blame just on its own. LSD is very powerful, especially if you are new to it. i didnt have a bad trip for years after i started experimenting with it, but i still had "flashbacks" and weird, eerie moments that would bring me back to some of the stranger, darker corners of trips that i had experienced. i eventually had one trip that some people might consider a "bad trip". i dont really like to think of it that way--more of a difficult trip, one that was very disorienting for me, very ego-shattering. it took me about a year to fully recover from that trip and be able to dose again without feeling freaked.

the truth is, even if you had a good trip, it would have still probably had a profound impact on you. since you experienced anxiety, thats what the trip imparted you with. these things always get better with time, but with psychedelics you really have to "buy the ticket, take the ride". when i take psychedelic drugs, i dont expect to come out the other end feeling exactly the same as i did going in, its one of the very interesting and rewarding parts of the experience, in my opinion. a lot of people start to notice more anxiety when smoking pot into their twenties. you are definitely not alone in that. perhaps the LSD brought that out of you a little sooner than it might have happened anyway?

have you ever had panic attacks without drugs? for a couple years i got anxiety attacks very badly, and they were pretty debilitating for a while. once i started really meditating, and working on breathing techniques to slow my body down, and calm my mind, they subsided. now if i feel like i am starting to get anxious, i can stop something like that dead in its tracks before it even starts. but it did take time for me to be able to successfully do that.

be patient, be willing to address the issue, and work with yourself. these things go away with time, but also there are ways that you personally can deal with anxiety attacks or just stress in general. once you start feeling a little more stable you should definitely sign up for classes again and get back in school. i understand how stressful schoolwork can get, especially on top of anxiety from outside sources, but taking a step in that direction is like recapturing ground that you have lost from anxiety.

I definently realize the weed triggers it but it's just weird how some days I've been able to smoke after the bad trip and feel completely normal like I did when I used to get high. It's also very weird like today I didn't smoke or anything and then a panic attack just hit me out of no where, also on my good days I feel completely normal again no anxiety at all. So far there's been no real pattern to the triggers at first I thought it was just the weed but I'm still getting anxiety and panic attacks even when I don't smoke. At first though I was expieriencing several panic attacks a day every week and now it's down to one a week.

This is a very complex issue and I'm sure it's different for everybody I'm just hoping my symptoms keep going away in time and I keep improving. I'll update my progress every week until my symptoms go away (if they do). But I really truly believe that I can beat this without the use of drugs such as Xanax and anti depressant/ anxiety meds it's just going to take time and a lot of willpower thanks for the reply!!

I definently realize the weed triggers it but it's just weird how some days I've been able to smoke after the bad trip and feel completely normal like I did when I used to get high. It's also very weird like today I didn't smoke or anything and then a panic attack just hit me out of no where, also on my good days I feel completely normal again no anxiety at all. So far there's been no real pattern to the triggers at first I thought it was just the weed but I'm still getting anxiety and panic attacks even when I don't smoke. At first though I was expieriencing several panic attacks a day every week and now it's down to one a week.

This is a very complex issue and I'm sure it's different for everybody I'm just hoping my symptoms keep going away in time and I keep improving. I'll update my progress every week until my symptoms go away (if they do). But I really truly believe that I can beat this without the use of drugs such as Xanax and anti depressant/ anxiety meds it's just going to take time and a lot of willpower thanks for the reply!!

Whilst I wouldn't want enough xanax lying around to be able to form a habit I think it would definitely be helpful to have a couple of packs around just in case. Whilst it undoubtedly just masks the symptoms (as you said) I think it can be very beneficial to have a 'reset' available to remember what it's like to be anxiety free. I also find xanax personally to be very thought provoking and introspective, though I realise many don't get this effect.

With regards to experiencing the anxiety on some days on others it should be noted that there could be a lag between smoking weed and experiencing anxiety, which could easily be a few days or even a week. It could also prolong your symptoms.

Definitely try meditation and breathing techniques as mentioned above. The easiest meditation technique for me is to quite simply concentrate on clearing your mind of any thoughts and breathing properly. Quite often we don't. That can certainly help on those off days.

Good luck.

that sounds exactly how it was with me. for me it didnt come from a bad trip, just from living a stressful life. however, i wouldnt usually get an anxiety attack as a result of some event, like something happens then i get freaked out. it usually came out of nowhere with no particular cause.

it sounds like you have a good attitude about it though. i dont know if you ever tried meditation or any kind of breathing techniques, but look into it, it worked wonders for me that only strong benzos could have done, but without all of the problems of taking drugs for anxiety.

I've started getting anxiety from weed in the years since I started tripping. I agree, most people eventually stop smoking because it makes them lazy/makes them anxious. I've almost given it up for those reasons. Weed most definitely alters the effects of psychs too.

I find life easier without pot, as much as I love it.

Prescribing Xanax for anxiety caused by a bad trip combined with weed is wholly irresponsible of your doctor.

Prescribing Xanax for anxiety caused by a bad trip combined with weed is wholly irresponsible of your doctor.
I agree but they are actually fast acting for the panic attacks and I only take them when needed. He prescribed me 30 of them at the lowest dose it's been a month and a half and I've taken three, it really depends on the person I think. Prior to this bad trip if I got prescribed Xanax i would have definently gobbled them all down right away. after that bad trip it scared me shitless, I don't even like drugs now and I barely drink. Honestly I just want my state of mind to return to normal and for these panic attacks to go away if that happens I will have learned my lesson and never do drugs again I just really hope it goes away and is not permanent.

Time coupled with avoidance of cannabis in the medium term should heal you more quickly than you expect.

ebola

Regarding the original post in this thread, I had an experience when I was much younger that was so similar that it's startling! When I was 18, I started trying LSD. The third time I tried it, I had only taken a low dose, and feeling fine. Then, several hours in, I smoked a very large amount of weed, and about half an hour later had a panic attack out of nowhere, the first time I had had a panic attack since I was 10 years old!

For the next 3 months, almost every time I smoked weed, I'd either feel panicky again, or feel unpleasantly dissociated. I also got frequent anxiety attacks (not full-blown panic attacks, but surges of pointless and uncomfortable anxiety) when sober. I avoided weed for a few months once I realised it was unpleasant almost every time (which had rarely been the case before this bad trip).

Over about 3 months the anxiety faded away. By about 3-4 months later, I was able to smoke weed again and enjoy it, and 8 months later tried LSD again, and really enjoyed it, but ever since i've been very cautious about combining psychedelics with cannabis. I'm NOT suggesting that you go back to trying these substances, just relating my experience, the main point of which is that time healed the anxiety, as you seem to be finding yourself.

Last edited:
Regarding the original post in this thread, I had an experience when I was much younger that was so similar that it's startling! When I was 18, I started trying LSD. The third time I tried it, I had only taken a low dose, and feeling fine. Then, several hours in, I smoked a very large amount of weed, and about half an hour later had a panic attack out of nowhere, the first time I had had a panic attack since I was 10 years old!

For the next 3 months, almost every time I smoked weed, I'd either feel panicky again, or feel unpleasantly dissociated. I also got frequent anxiety attacks (not full-blown panic attacks, but surges of pointless and uncomfortable anxiety) when sober. I avoided weed for a few months once I realised it was unpleasant almost every time (which had rarely been the case before this bad trip).

Over about 3 months the anxiety faded away. By about 3-4 months later, I was able to smoke weed again and enjoy it, and 8 months later tried LSD again, and really enjoyed it, but ever since i've been very cautious about combining psychedelics with cannabis. I'm NOT suggesting that you go back to trying these substances, just relating my experience, the main point of which is that time healed the anxiety, as you seem to be finding yourself.
That is very similar, that is crazy! So after you quit smoking weed for a couple months the anxiety seemed to go away? I think that is the key to this healing process, did drinking affect you at all? And my last question is did you use any medication at all to get over the anxiety?

weed trigered bad trips for me , mellow triping then i smoke weed anxiety strikes and the devils start to dance around evil voices in my head etc . too much stimulation audiotory and visual combined with heart rate

acceleration may triger panic atacks and people suffering from them can get panic atack even from coffee . How i recovered ? just psychoanalyzed myself now i stll smoke weed which i enjoy very much it makes me

creative and happy , and still trip sometimes evethough if i take a large strong hit im pretty sure its gonna turn bad at some point each time the bad part lasts less and less though . What helps me the most is spirituality

budhism beliefs , Jesus , Meditation ,studiing psychology , fear managment, understanding of my brain , good food and relaxed life pace , philosophy , and sharing my fears with friends all healed my brief psychosys

Alright I'm starting to realize something, basically my "bad trip" I believe was just a panic attack. I had zero visuals and like I said it was just an intense rush of fear and anxiety. This was my first panic attack I've ever expierienced though so the problem is that I want to associate the panic attack with a Bad trip simply because I did acid and I thought that was causing it. The panic attack could've came later inevitably even if I didn't do acid the acid just brought it to the surface faster.

It makes things worse thinking that I had a bad LSD trip because of the horror stories I've read about them, ppl developing schizophrenia and going crazy. People refer to LSD flashbacks, I'm sure there very real but I think some people mistake these flashbacks with panic attacks. If you read the description of a panic attack it's all the symptoms I expierienced during my "bad trip" including feeling detached from reality and going "crazy".

Basically knowing now that it was just a panic attack and not a bad acid trip makes it a lot easier to cope with and less traumatizing . Idk if this makes sense to any of you but please leave me feedback about this. Is this a theory that makes sense to any of you? Like I said I never had a panic attack before the "bad trip" so It's easy to see how i could've mistaken my panic attack for a "Bad trip". Basically is a bad trip for some ppl just a very long panic attack?

I didn't take any medications. Also, i can't comment on alcohol because at that time in my life i wasn't drinking it at all. But yeah, i just avoided weed for a while, eventually i stopped having the anxiety, and later when i tried weed again, it wasn't a problem.

kudos for fighting your anxiety without meds. you really have to be proud of yourself for that.

all i can tell you is that it will eventually go away with time, especially because you aren't using xanax to hide it (it would have been much more difficult in the long run if you did).

you made big improvements in just 1 month and a half, it WILL go away, and you'll be left with a stronger yourself

Hey man I see you haven't been active on here in awhile but basically I had the SAME exact thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago, hopefully you see this and can help me out with some questions

I too am having the exact same problem. Had a panic attack on 1 tab of LSD after someone told me it wasn't acid (later found out it was acid) and that I was going to have a bad trip so I panicked. Didn't see the devil or anything but I had severe anxiety the whole time and didn't enjoy it. I went right back to smoking weed a few days after and was fine (I was a daily smoker for a few months) and once I did dabs felt terrible and dissociated like the acid made me feel. I stopped smoking after but felt a little disconnected/not with it for about three days after, terrible in the mornings but almost gone by night. It went away for a few days before I had another random panic attack, and since I've been stuck in the anxiety cycle, feeling like I'm "going crazy" having panic attacks and severe anxiety for no reason other than being scared of my state. Any help?