• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recommendations for anxiety med

Boolo32

Greenlighter
USA:Newbie here: also new to anxiety, however have many pain issues so decently high tolerance. My doctor has given me Valium in the past, it seemed to have the opposite effect on me as far as it kept me up alllll night. He just prescribed me Xanax .05mg, I don’t feel anything from it, no relief to anxiety, nothing, except a few yawns. I’m about to face a really hard weekend with 3 sick kids, myself getting sick, and my husband out of town until Sunday night. Any recommendations on an anxiety med? I’d like to see if he can switch me today before the weekend and he’s closed. My neighbor takes clonazepan(klonipin) and it works for her but she hardly ever takes any medication, even over the counter. Do you think my tolerance is affecting how these anxiety meds are working in me? Help, I HATE anxiety, typing this gives me anxiety, but I know I’m facing a triggering weekend alone so I need to figure this out. I’d go see my doctor today, but again my kids are sick and he’s an hour drive from me, so I’m stuck. Please help with any advice, personal stories, etc.. thank you

Last edited:
Personally I find benzos help IN THE MOMENT of an anxiety attack, but daily use of cannabis and occasionally kratom are 2 natural methods I use.

A lot of people would suggest CBT and stuff like that, but I work in mental health and suffer from CPTSD as well, so I've got a different perspective and won't bombard you with coping mechanism suggestions.

Organise your daily life to be ad structured and routine as possible, so that when things do change, the anxiety lessens. Eat healthy, take some time in the sun, practice diaphragmic breathing.

You can also look into psychedelic studies. E.G. MDMA or ketamine therapy. They're expensive but apparently work exceptionally well. These aren't available in my country yet but assuming you're in the states, something like this or medical marijuana may be an option.

Another option is Valdoxan. Only reason I stoppre taking it is because it's $50 a month in Australia. Best anti depressant ever. I might actually reassess my budget and considering going back on it in the new year, now that my illicit drug use is starting to level out.

Try low dose of klonopin or if it dont work then oxazepam
This is really what I’m hoping he’ll switch me to, I don’t think Xanax does anything for me, idk if .5 is a low dose or if it’s a normal starting dose but bc I take pain meds, maybe I need a higher dose, idk.. Just want something to have at home, something that I KNOW works, so that I can chill my anxiety just knowing I have something just in case

This is really what I’m hoping he’ll switch me to, I don’t think Xanax does anything for me, idk if .5 is a low dose or if it’s a normal starting dose but bc I take pain meds, maybe I need a higher dose, idk.. Just want something to have at home, something that I KNOW works, so that I can chill my anxiety just knowing I have something just in case
0.5mg alprazolam is a normal starting dose.

0.5mg doesn't help your anxiety? that's unusual if you don't have a tolerance to benzos already

xanax is more anxiolytic than klonopin, on paper at least

Yes I live in Texas (USA)
Ok cool. So that would lead me to assume that things are more legal with kratom, kava and cannabis over there? I'd look into then if you're after a more natural option.

Are you currently taking any antidepressants to treat the anxiety?

0.5 mg Alprazolam is a decent dosage. Twice as much as my dr. once prescribed. Sometimes there was a swap up at the pharmacy and i would get 0.5 mg's, they are pink as i recall.

They are subtle but under the tongue they induced restful sleep for sure. Not knock out style but slowly and surely catalyzing my drifting of

Maybe you are tolerant or not noticing the effect. Is it day or night time use you are referring to?

Personally I find benzos help IN THE MOMENT of an anxiety attack, but daily use of cannabis and occasionally kratom are 2 natural methods I use.

A lot of people would suggest CBT and stuff like that, but I work in mental health and suffer from CPTSD as well, so I've got a different perspective and won't bombard you with coping mechanism suggestions.

Organise your daily life to be ad structured and routine as possible, so that when things do change, the anxiety lessens. Eat healthy, take some time in the sun, practice diaphragmic breathing.

You can also look into psychedelic studies. E.G. MDMA or ketamine therapy. They're expensive but apparently work exceptionally well. These aren't available in my country yet but assuming you're in the states, something like this or medical marijuana may be an option.

Another option is Valdoxan. Only reason I stoppre taking it is because it's $50 a month in Australia. Best anti depressant ever. I might actually reassess my budget and considering going back on it in the new year, now that my illicit drug use is starting to level out.
oh i wanna look into that, ty

ive been dealing with anxiety, have you ever looked into thyroid issues, tested and all? i was just given xanax and it works wonders for me, too good to be true actually and it frightens me, get anxiety about taking anxiety meds, i just wanted to say pls be welcomed to BL, everyone is great and please feel at home discussing most everything w/o harsh negative judgements, i know a bit(alot) about care providing for the ill when one is ill themselves, i feel you are strong ,just got alot on your plate so to speak, just know there are no virgins within these walls, because life has f**Ked us all, try to relax and enjoy what can be had here, proud you reached out :good vibes::bear::bolt::bear::good vibes:

Newbie here: also new to anxiety, however have many pain issues so decently high tolerance. My doctor has given me Valium in the past, it seemed to have the opposite effect on me as far as it kept me up alllll night. He just prescribed me Xanax .05mg, I don’t feel anything from it, no relief to anxiety, nothing, except a few yawns. I’m about to face a really hard weekend with 3 sick kids, myself getting sick, and my husband out of town until Sunday night. Any recommendations on an anxiety med? I’d like to see if he can switch me today before the weekend and he’s closed. My neighbor takes clonazepan(klonipin) and it works for her but she hardly ever takes any medication, even over the counter. Do you think my tolerance is affecting how these anxiety meds are working in me? Help, I HATE anxiety, typing this gives me anxiety, but I know I’m facing a triggering weekend alone so I need to figure this out. I’d go see my doctor today, but again my kids are sick and he’s an hour drive from me, so I’m stuck. Please help with any advice, personal stories, etc.. thank you
let us know how it went and how you are doing if thats cool

let us know how it went and how you are doing if thats cool
He called in the klonopin for me, .5mg dose… one-felt nothing; next day took two so 1mg, nothing.. today tried 2.5 so 1.5 mg… I felt it trying at that dose, so I’m thinking if I took a 2mg dose it may work for me… what I don’t get is why I feel I have a tolerance to anxiety meds?! I’m gonna ask my doc on Dec 9th(next appt) I do take soma for my back and honestly those work better for my anxiety… could soma be considered a benzo? So maybe that could explain my tolerance?

Newbie here: also new to anxiety, however have many pain issues so decently high tolerance. My doctor has given me Valium in the past, it seemed to have the opposite effect on me as far as it kept me up alllll night. He just prescribed me Xanax .05mg, I don’t feel anything from it, no relief to anxiety, nothing, except a few yawns. I’m about to face a really hard weekend with 3 sick kids, myself getting sick, and my husband out of town until Sunday night. Any recommendations on an anxiety med? I’d like to see if he can switch me today before the weekend and he’s closed. My neighbor takes clonazepan(klonipin) and it works for her but she hardly ever takes any medication, even over the counter. Do you think my tolerance is affecting how these anxiety meds are working in me? Help, I HATE anxiety, typing this gives me anxiety, but I know I’m facing a triggering weekend alone so I need to figure this out. I’d go see my doctor today, but again my kids are sick and he’s an hour drive from me, so I’m stuck. Please help with any advice, personal stories, etc.. thank you
Try Phenibut and get it while it's out there...works for Cosmonauts so got to be something to it! Just go low on dosage and see what happens?

Ok cool. So that would lead me to assume that things are more legal with kratom, kava and cannabis over there? I'd look into then if you're after a more natural option.

Are you currently taking any antidepressants to treat the anxiety?
Buspirone, but wanting to quit that because I’ve started having brain zaps

Yes for real 100%. Helped with Anxiety in outer space - look it up. But be careful strong withdrawals from it.
Thank you but I’m not looking for anything with strong withdrawals as I already take strong pain meds that I’ll have trouble getting off of if I can ever afford my surgery ☹️🙏

USA:Newbie here: also new to anxiety, however have many pain issues so decently high tolerance. My doctor has given me Valium in the past, it seemed to have the opposite effect on me as far as it kept me up alllll night. He just prescribed me Xanax .05mg, I don’t feel anything from it, no relief to anxiety, nothing, except a few yawns. I’m about to face a really hard weekend with 3 sick kids, myself getting sick, and my husband out of town until Sunday night. Any recommendations on an anxiety med? I’d like to see if he can switch me today before the weekend and he’s closed. My neighbor takes clonazepan(klonipin) and it works for her but she hardly ever takes any medication, even over the counter. Do you think my tolerance is affecting how these anxiety meds are working in me? Help, I HATE anxiety, typing this gives me anxiety, but I know I’m facing a triggering weekend alone so I need to figure this out. I’d go see my doctor today, but again my kids are sick and he’s an hour drive from me, so I’m stuck. Please help with any advice, personal stories, etc.. thank you

Honestly, I would avoid all Benzo's. They shouldn't (in my personal opinion) be legally prescribed anymore (with the exception of those still dependant). It's not a long term solution for anxiety issues and can have some very severe long term consequences.

I say this with everybody suffering from anxiety issues (being one myself). The best thing you can consume for anxiety is Magnesium. I see you're from the USA. The western diet is typically low on Magnesium and ensuring you get your RDA of Magnesium each day could make a very dramatic difference to your overall anxiety levels. Whether you get this directly from a diet rich in Magnesium or through supplementation is of course down to yourself. If using Magnesium supplements, you'll want to ensure that it's Magnesium Glycinate, which has the highest bio-availability out of any form of Magnesium. 400mgs per day is generally recommended.

Cannabis is a good suggestion. Use a mix of THC and CBD, preferably 1:1 or slightly more CBD than THC. THC alone without CBD can increase anxiety for some people.

I'd have to advise against Kratom as it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Like many opioids, it suppresses production of hormones such as testosterone by over 50%. PsychedSubstance is a pretty well known YouTuber in the psychedelic community who had to start taking TRT after years of periodic daily Kratom use because his (adult man in his 30s/early 40s) testosterone levels had plummeted and he was suffering severe physical + mental effects as a result.

I've personally used Kratom a few times. It's great for pain but when I tried white kratom for focus I just got a stomachache and it did nothing for my productivity. I'd recommend everyone limit their use of kratom only to situations where traditional opioids would be used (moderate to severe pain and injury) or to taper off of opioids. It isn't worth the long term side effects outside of those use cases.

You can also look into psychedelic studies. E.G. MDMA or ketamine therapy.
This would be my #1 suggestion. Ketamine eliminates 90% of my depression, suicidality, intrusive thoughts, and anxiety in the days following a trip. MDMA has permanently improved my PTSD, depression, and anxiety.

Classical psychedelics such as LSD, psilocybin/psilocin analogues, and DMT are also great. I've personally had great success with them.

Microdosing can be very helpful for a lot of people as well. If there aren't any studies available where you live, you can look into the legality of research chemicals such as 1P-LSD or acquire any of the above substances through other methods. If you choose to go down that route, ensure that you purchase a test kit prior to using.

Try Phenibut
Phenibut can be helpful (I personally find it less effective and more recreational than benzos) but the physical addiction can set on even faster and isn't much (if at all) less severe.

Finally, something like Clonidine could be helpful. It's an a2 agonist that is primarily used for PTSD, ADHD, and high blood pressure but can also be used for insomnia and anxiety. It's quite mild but it's my personal go-to for insomnia and I've used it for PTSD-related panic attacks a couple times.