Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

i saw "O" the modern take on othello so i found this rather interesting...

Othello with David Harewood http://www.pbs.org/wnet/shakespeare-uncovered/uncategorized/othello-david-harewood-full-episode/

Othello is actually a play dominated not by race, but by love and a great villain – Iago. A forensic psychiatrist helps to analyze this extraordinary psychopath and how he manipulates Othello by persuading him that his young wife is having an affair. Harewood meets Simon Russell Beale, who played Iago to his Othello, and they re-examine the lethal relationship. Imogen Stubbs and Sir Ian McKellen, who starred in Trevor Nunn’s production; Julia Stiles, whose movie O was a modern take on the play; and Sir Patrick Stewart, who played Othello in a “color-reversed” production, also reflect on their characters.

Indeed very interesting. I haven´t seen it yet. I wonder if this movie is neutral. Sometimes we feel manipulated by the way some films are edited.

You should see it. It's not really heavy handed at all in fact it barely even goes into the issue of whether what snowmen did was right or wrong. Whether he's a traitor or patriot ect. What I thought was fascinating about it was how calm Snowden was at the beginning of the doc before the leaks started being published. He truly thought he had a solid plan to get to south america and was doing the right thing. Then we gradually see his plan somewhat unraveling and the stress it puts him under. Really fascinating to me.

I saw Citizenfour the other day... It was interesting enough to watch till the credits, but I thought they were stretching it a bit. There's some shots / scenes that I would have taken out entirely. Like Snowden doing his hair... and that gay journalist guy establishing himself by (gratuitously) proving that he can speak fluently in a different language.

The topic itself is interesting and worthy of a feature, but the footage they had to work with was not. (IMO.)
(Although, I suspect this may be a reality of trying to document a secret rather than an indication of the talent behind the doco.)

I was interested for the first 45 minutes, then I found myself zoning out and doing other shit while it was on.

2.5 / 5

I finally got to see - All This Mayhem (2014) a few days ago.

all_this_mayhem_xlg.jpg

All This Mayhem is a searing account of what happens when raw talent and extreme personalities collide. In this unflinching, never-before-seen account of drugs and the dark side of professional skateboarding, brothers Tas and Ben Pappas' intense bond and charisma take them from the pinnacle of their sport into a spiraling world of self-destruction.

I went into a cinema without a clue what I was going to watch! For the first ten minutes I was hesitant and didn't know if I would sit through the entire movie. I have no particular love for skating but can relate to that ethos from teenage years.

In the end I stayed and began to enjoy the roller-coaster that this doc takes you on.

The use of well sourced actual footage of their childhood/teenage days up to to the pros and after paints a vivid account and perfectly documented time line of their lives and careers. The added PTC's from Tas Pappas and others add that missing dimension and beautifully tie it all together in a classic doc style.

Utterly compelling and keeps a great level of suspense. Really enjoyed this movie. NOW I like skating!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2938416/

Amazing old footage (mostly if you have ever been into skating) but a great story and pretty sad really.

By the same director (Eddie Martin) who made the graffiti doco called 'jisoe' and the boxing one called 'lionel'.

4 / 5

the invisible world of gay conversion therapy (vice).

prior to watching this i was completely unaware that such a thing ever existed. a very controversial subject matter, that left me feeling confused and unconvinced as i was always lead to believe that being homosexual is an awareness that you are born with? not something that you can consciously/psychologically change?

...kytnism...:|

all this mayhem was a great documentary and story, it seemed kind of inevitable that the talented younger brother would do self destructive stuff later on, kind of sad.

as for the gay conversion therapy, i think they are religious zealots who are in denial about their homosexuality and thus support and help eachother repress their sexuality which isn't actually a choice. i don't consciously choose who i find attractive, its inherent.

men with beards

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/menwithbeards

costs like $2.50 to rent, but i thought it was worth it. i generally enjoy watching beard related documentaries now that i have one.

^ what would your ideal beard length/style be ? im currently going for a "hungarian gay bear" sorta look.

was happy to see this documentary on zaha hadid (amazingly dope architect) on youtube.

@^ my beard is prbly about that length now, but less trimmed and a bit thicker/longer. i like the concept, this is prbly how im going to picture you in the future lul

this is the closest picture to what i imagine i will look like when its a bit longer

kind of going for a george harrison when he was taking lsd look

Last edited:
all this mayhem was a great documentary and story, it seemed kind of inevitable that the talented younger brother would do self destructive stuff later on, kind of sad.

as for the gay conversion therapy, i think they are religious zealots who are in denial about their homosexuality and thus support and help eachother repress their sexuality which isn't actually a choice. i don't consciously choose who i find attractive, its inherent.

men with beards

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/menwithbeards

costs like $2.50 to rent, but i thought it was worth it. i generally enjoy watching beard related documentaries now that i have one.

This thing with religion to "cure" homosexual should be listed as a crime in Human Rights. This not inquisition times, and everyone in my opinion should have the freedom to choose to accept what they are, and if they are not sure, we as parents, friends or merely supporters should stop this nonsense.. Can't believe we still have priests talking about it. They are even more tempted imo.

Sorry I hijacked your post, it's just sad..

And that insane video about gay conversion. I wonder how much these young people are affected in crazy ways that makes us understand the suicides and God knows what more..

Last edited:
Louis Theroux - By Reason of Insanity : part 1

Louis immerses himself in the world of Ohio's state psychiatric hospitals, meeting patients who have committed crimes - at times horrifically violent - while in the grip of severe mental illness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05nyysy

your IP needs to be situated in the UK in order to watch it through this link, if you don't know how to do that, download hola add-on (for your browser) then change your location to UK (it may also be available in certain other places, i wouldnt know about such things..)

my thoughts..

it was a bit heavy to watch people in a mental hospital, a part of me feels like the way western society treats people with mental illness is a fucking joke, as per usual louis explores the subject in a very intelligent and fair way, very interesting, hits close to home. i think people who have psychosis should be living in the country with a lot of space around them tbh, being situated in a hospital in close quarters with sarcastic psychiatrists and other unstable people is no way to exist, they dont need so many drugs that they have ticks and cant feel emotions any more... if i was going to be an activist for anyone it would be for the mentally ill

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder :D Have almost finished watching it.. One of his best I reckon.

Respect to Corey what a lovely guy.

Louis Theroux - By Reason of Insanity

Thanks Mysterie.
I love LT.

I could, honestly, watch an entire season of this.
Didn't disappoint, at all. Really enjoyed it.

Re it being difficult to watch because of the realities of mental health facilities:

I think they're better off than people in jail. And, people who are jailed for horrific crimes are - arguably - not in their right mind. The psychiatric industry is "better" than the justice system, in the sense that they actually attempt to rehabilitate people rather than just chucking them in a cell.

While I have problems with psychiatric institutes (I've been in a couple as a patient), I thought the people in this documentary were fortunate to have the care and treatment that they did rather than just being written of as criminals. It's not a perfect system, but it's much better than jail.

One of his best I reckon.

Agreed.

Thanks Mysterie.
I love LT.
I could, honestly, watch an entire season of this.
Didn't disappoint, at all. Really enjoyed it.

likewise. its a real shame that BBC uk has blocked australia from viewing his material based on copywriting via youtube. im really looking forward to seeing his upcoming documentary on scientology.

...kytnism...:|

ps. if you watch the linked video above in its entirety it automatically rolls over into "by reason of insanity" (kudos, mysterie).

The Green Prince (netflix)

Set against the chaotic backdrop of recent events in the Middle East, Nadav Schirman's THE GREEN PRINCE retraces the details of a highly unprecedented partnership that developed between sworn enemies. In the style of a tense psychological thriller, this extraordinary documentary recounts the true story of the son of a Hamas leader who emerged as one of Israel's prized informants, and the Shin Bet agent who risked his career to protect him.

It's not the most well made documentary but it's a great story. (unsure how accurate)

The guy wrote a book which is probably better.

http://www.amazon.com/Son-Hamas-Gripping-Political-Unthinkable/dp/1414333080

RE: Louis Theroux - By Reason of Insanity : part 1

my thoughts..

it was a bit heavy to watch people in a mental hospital, a part of me feels like the way western society treats people with mental illness is a fucking joke, as per usual louis explores the subject in a very intelligent and fair way, very interesting, hits close to home. i think people who have psychosis should be living in the country with a lot of space around them tbh, being situated in a hospital in close quarters with sarcastic psychiatrists and other unstable people is no way to exist, they dont need so many drugs that they have ticks and cant feel emotions any more... if i was going to be an activist for anyone it would be for the mentally ill

Quite often as with prisons many come out far worse off then they were when they went in.

I just finished watching a Documentary called "Status Anxiety" (2004).

Status Anxiety discusses the desire of people in many modern societies to "climb the social ladder" and the anxieties that result from a focus on how one is perceived by others. De Botton claims that chronic anxiety about status is an inevitable side effect of any democratic, ostensibly egalitarian society.

I found this surprisingly engaging it was 2hr 23min long and yet i watched it from start to finish without pause. It's unfortunate that many will immediately look past the message been conveyed here because the presenter 'Alain De Botton' was born into a family of status and wealth, therefore believing his opinion is irrelevant. Whereas in fact he has used his position to explore this theme by pursuing perspectives of people of differing level's of status and wealth, the history of aristocratic and meritocracy societies and touching on writings from Marcus Aurelius, Karl Marx, Schopenhauer and George Orwell.

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning By Reason of Insanity, I watched them both with that hola plug in (thanks for mentioning that too). Eye opening doco that's for sure.

Documentary about drugs. Always so realistic interesting interviews, different countries etc

^I've been hearing about this for awhile, I need to check it out.