Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

A search of the thread yielded no results, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. It's a very sad documentary, but was worth watching. It was called "Very Young Girls" and was about the current state of prostitution and how often young girls are tricked into getting into the life. These 2 pimps or whatever had made a documentary that they wanted to sell to HBO about how they were going around and getting girls to prostitute for them. Girls that were maybe 13, 14 years old. They got arrested for it, but some of their footage was in the documentary. It was disturbing.

Um, just be careful what you google if you're searching for this documentary.

The Girl Who Talked to Dolphins

This superb documentary about a talking dolphin who fell 'madly in love' with a female researcher in the 1960s resisted sensationalism, says Iona McLaren

1The-Girl-Who-Talk_2947627b.jpg

The discreet title of Tuesday night's groundbreaking documentary The Girl Who Talked to Dolphins (BBC Four) spoke volumes about the programme.

How narrowly did the film avoid being called something like “The Girl Paid by NASA to have Sex with a Dolphin”? Or “The Mad Scientist Who Gave Dolphins LSD”?

Dealing with the indisputably bizarre experiments that took place in the mid-Sixties in a Carribbean research facility known as Dolphin Point Laboratory, it has been standard practice for reporting to take the raciest possible line.

Who, after all, can resist a cocktail as sensational as sex 'n' drugs 'n' dolphins?

Yet the anti-sensationalist approach of Christopher Riley’s superb documentary was its trump card, securing - for the first time ever - interviews with the main protagonists from Dolphin Point.

The story he laid out with fresh material was moving and complex: a tale of Sixties idealism gone sour.

Cont -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...irl-Who-Talked-to-Dolphins-review-moving.html

had a great time watching a doco i found called 'vinyl'

its about vinyl collectors who have taken their hobby to the point of addiction, most of them at least

i love watching stuff about people who are obsessed over something, and can devote most of their time to that thing

really pure doco. dont really have to know much about vinyl records to enjoy watching this, highly recommended

^nice, gonna send that one to my dad, he's a record collector.
i love watching stuff about people who are obsessed over something, and can devote most of their time to that thing
check out "love child" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Child_(2014_film)

It’s no secret that video games can be addictive. But deadly? In 2010 in South Korea, a couple stood trial for manslaughter after their infant daughter died — allegedly due to her parents’ negligence. Mom and dad were playing an online fantasy game to the point of total obsession. In Valerie Veatch’s documentary Love Child, she explores the world of online gaming and how South Korean authorities are attempting to monitor the growing problem, which they see as a major social menace.

a gourmet weed dinner at hunter s. thompsons house

To celebrate marijuana legalization in Colorado, Munchies columnist David Bienenstock recently traveled to Aspen, to attend a legal seminar hosted by the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws—America's oldest and largest group dedicated to legalizing cannabis. And since the late Hunter S. Thompson was one of NORML's earliest and most consistent supporters, we figured what better way to embrace the sweet smell of herbal liberation in the Rocky Mountain State than by throwing a small victory party at Owl Farm—the author and advocate's home and “fortified compound” in Woody Creek—featuring an appropriately over-the-top pairing of fully legal cannabis and high-end cuisine?

Pulling this off required first and foremost the permission and kind hospitality of Anita Thompson, Hunter Thompson's widow, who resides at Owl Farm and keeps a close eye on her dearly departed husband's literary legacy. Then, to handle the culinary and scientific feat of preparing a multi-course marijuana-infused meal of the highest order, we partnered Chef Chris Lanter of Aspen hotspot Cache Cache with cannabis-infusion expert Tamar Wise, former head of science at the world's largest marijuana edibles company.

In all, we infused four different oils, using four different ganja strains, for use in four different preparations (three savory and one dessert), with a joint of each strain set aside for smoking. All served to a highly select group of heads at Owl Farm, including NORML's founder, and Hunter S. Thompson's close friend, Keith Stroup—our guest of honor. And now, it's time to: Buy the ticket, take the ride...

...kytnism...:|

Maiden Trip

A 14 year old Dutch girl documents her two year voyage in becoming the youngest person to ever sail around the world alone. Pretty amazing stuff.

^ if you liked that, you'd probably love deep water. it's not just the best documentary i've ever seen, it's one of the best films i've ever seen.

alasdair

two very moving and insightful views of the state of poverty in the lives of many australian families thanks to abc and four corners.

two very moving and insightful views of the state of poverty in the lives of many australian families thanks to abc and four corners.
reminds me of this one i recently saw from hbo entitled "Paycheck to Paycheck: The Life and Times of Katrina Gilbert" it may also be of interest to you

ya hear statistics about poverty, unemployment, etc, it's just percentages/numbers. when ya see this and get an insight into real lives and faces of people going through the struggle... really makes ya feel for those and be thankful for all ya got even if it's not much.

Last edited:
^ that was great joe, thanks for sharing. <3

another excellent documentary pressing on the same issue, also by hbo is "american winter". it depicts "middle class" families on minimum wage, unable to survive practically during the months of winter due to additional, yet basic expenses in food/heat etc.

^ wanted to wait to reply till i got a chance to check that one out. yea, really powerful piece. leaves me kind of speechless and i just hang my head sayin to myself "damn"

that one couple was talking about "we use to talk about the future, our dreams... forget the dreams, how do we make it till tomorrow ?"

the subject and "winter" in the title instantly reminded me of the film winter's bone.

indeed. it was pretty intense joe and makes the mind wonder how within a first world country there can be so much poverty and silent suffering behind closed doors.

thanks for the recommendation of winters bone. i just checked out the imdb page, and now must see it. sounds excellent (and i LOVE jennifer lawrence). :D

makes the mind wonder how within a first world country there can be so much poverty and silent suffering behind closed doors.
well said. tis a reason to watch documentaries like that, to really examine that sort of subject matter and open those doors.

np, you'll dig the movie for sure. great soundtrack too.

Jodorowsky's Dune

In 1975, Chilean director Alejandro Jodorowsky, whose films EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN launched and ultimately defined the midnight movie phenomenon, began work on his most ambitious project yet. Starring his own 12 year old son Brontis alongside Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, David Carradine and Salvador Dali, featuring music by Pink Floyd and art by some of the most provocative talents of the era, including HR Giger and Jean 'Moebius' Giraud, Jodorowsky's adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel DUNE was poised to change cinema forever.