• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Ray Charles & Dope - How is it possible?

The reason Ray could do this is the same reason that folk who've never used opiates will never understand. Once you've been taking them for a long time, you need them to be "normal". He probably needed them to perform and be himself at some point. I played professionally back in the day and rarely mixed the two but at the end of the day, it wasn't too hard to do. A pro like Ray would have never had a problem unless be was totally bonked!
That doesnt explain how a blind man was shooting heroin :p

The real question methink is: how could he enjoy dope while not being able to see...

Well I bet he enjoyed dope more while being blind than the average junkie enjoys it while being normal. Heightened senses, hear and black voodoo...

The reason Ray could do this is the same reason that folk who've never used opiates will never understand. Once you've been taking them for a long time, you need them to be "normal". He probably needed them to perform and be himself at some point. I played professionally back in the day and rarely mixed the two but at the end of the day, it wasn't too hard to do. A pro like Ray would have never had a problem unless be was totally bonked!

Yeah the question was how could he shoot up being blind.. not why did he do heroin in general..

I know its not the only example, but he is a good one.

I wonder, how could he play live and record for long hours on IV dope, I guess he must have had a
real strong tolerance or are the old traditional jazz/blues players most likely to be on a speedball combo?

Sorry if I misread the OP (see quote above), but I thought he was asking about how he could be on the dope and do what he did. I didn't see anything about how he could actually "do the deed". I think someone turned it around further down in the post.

^ I thought it was rather obvious, despite OP not specifically stating it. :p

I disagree with the notion that using to maintain while playing music is "easy"...Heroin sucks the passion right out of you...There's this myth that it makes you a better writer and a better artist...A lot of artists have been addicted to opiates, but most of them haven't done their best work while in the midst of habit...

What has happened many time:

Bands have had to cancel international tours because one or more of their members was so dependent on opiates, they couldn't risk going to multiple countries where they might no be able to get their fix! And anyone who thinks that all "rock stars" have a guy who can instantly just go get them anything no matter where they are, are gravely misinformed as well...

^^

Yeah, one of the quickest way to totally destroy your music career and whatever talent/passion you had is H.

I don't agree with those saying H totally destroys your creativity... On the long term, it certainly does, the whole addiction thing takes your mind off what you love, but when you don't take opiates regularly, taking it once in a while certainly makes you creative as fuck, at least with me it does... When I spend a few weeks off them then one night do a li'l bit I'll spend the whole night writing and composing furiously. And the results usually turn out to be quite good.

My favorite Aersosmith songs are from the time they were using....both the lyrics, and the music. "Get Your Wings", is my favorite album. The title, is self explanatory.

Lord of the Thighs, Seasons of Wither, Pandora's Box, Woman of the World....all great.

Loved the Ray Charles movie too. But I do seriously wonder how he could've injected IV...well he could've, but I mean well...not being able to see. I'm sure mastering finding a vein, but really knowing you registered, and stay in. It's just difficult to imagine.

After watching the movie, I wondered why he was so adamant on.using heroin w/o trying any other opiates during his younger years.

He was blind as a young child, so its not like he was able to study up on drug use.

I'm sure the high he received from heroin was experienced differently than the people with sight, at least, I'm assuming this much.

^^
Yeah it's possible he felt it more intensely. Blind people are way more in tune with their other senses to compensate for not being able to see. So, maybe it felt super amazing to him.

I too feel terrible but I do feel obligated to chime in on this thread... I feel Ray et. al. would have no trouble. I rarely *needed* confirmation any time I've seen a vein checked in the past. I often tell the med techs who seem to have a hard time "there ya go, visualize it, feel when the hollow is pierced" and you can, the valves and all. You could basically draw a map of the whole thing with enough attention. and without the burden of physical sight I bet ol' Ray hasn't missed 3 times sans sight.

But I also imagine he had a very cute young professional nurse and doctor on hand whenever they'd be of use!

Will never fail to remember my dad, Ray and Willie, (interesting sidenote... my grandma was named "Willie Rae") and "Seven Spanish Angels." Here's to you old man, hope you don't have to hunt no more :D

Definitely agree with the folks that said any semi-long-term user would be able to manage playing all night without nodding out, especially if you don't continue to increase dosage too drastically. After using regularly for just a few months, a lot of people don't get much of a high aside from the very initial buzz, if they are even lucky enough to feel that. For most in the midst of addiction, it's usually just a fix to feel "well" and be able to function without withdrawal symptoms. In the same vein (lame pun intended!), when many people first start using opiates, they actually get more of a euphoric rush that can keep them up all night, make them more social, and so on. That's how it was for me, anyway.

I also used to wonder about how he was able to shoot up, and wondered if he did indeed have someone do it for him, but others have brought up some very good points that could make a lot of sense, although different techniques work for different people, depending on the type of veins you have, which veins you're using, what kind of shape the veins are in (scar tissue, etc.). I know way too many people who got to the point where they had to shoot up in the most absurd places due to veins that were in horrible shape after years of abuse. Even the most skilled doctors/nurses were unable to draw blood and/or find a vein for IV medication (i.e. anesthesia, sedatives for surgeries, etc.). It's pretty bad when you can see and feel a vein and you're literally in that vein, but blood just will not come out anymore, sometimes for years....

Well, I wish I had something more positive to end with, but I don't. Oh..happy Friday!!...??

I've seen so many people hit by touch and nothing else, that's nothing. It's the cooking up and not getting ripped off every time that baffles me.

I used to be able to hit in a car with no lights on.

I would usually go with a gf and tbh I was strung out pretty bad and the good dope was a trip.

I'm not stupid. I was going to a spot most white people don't go at any hour of the day. If you pull over to fix you are running a risk.

So fixing on the highway on the way back already knowing where all the speed traps and checking online to see if there are road blocks the car made sense and worse case scenario we had it easy enough to hide or ditch which never happened.

After I hit I would hit the driver. I don't recommend it at all because you do miss some especially when you are in a shitty sedan on a highway in the dark and obviously hitting the driver isn't the best idea but I wasn't in the position to refuse cuz I mean if they bought some too and drove and were in wd too....

I always did shoot up mostly by feel and having already studied plebotomy charts.

I am heavily tattooed so I won't see much of a vein anyways except for ones that pop out.

I am just saying how it's possible not how its smart.

It is easy enough to know if you are missing so I would imagine dude would stop and readjust.

He probably had friends hit him. I wonder how he copped without getting ripped off.