• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Ray Charles & Dope - How is it possible?

^Same here. I'm probably gonna watch it again this evening. =D It's a nice movie, and I agree, very well acted by Foxx.

I know a guy who has very limited sight that can IV himself, he isn't quite blind but as I understand it he is well over half way to being so and I have sat in the car with 4 people shooting up, him being the only vision impaired one, and he was the quickest to push off. I am fairly certain that he goes by feel more than by sight and yeah he really didn't seem to have too many problems when he used to inject frequently.

Last edited:
Lol, I'm glad I made so many people get on Ray, Renz, thats the impression I get from so many celebrities, that they're on some sort of a speedball combo, afterall you cannot travel half world for a half assed concert, so lets fucking rock!
I just wonder when or how... And to see Ray nodding on the piano would be REAL cool, are there any videos that have captured any of these moments?
I cannot seem to nod and keep track of playing any instrument, that would be a bluesy deed...

Back in Ray Charles's day most heroin addicts skinpopped(SC). Mainliners(IV) were considered hardcore. And I doubt he speedballed because after the 1930's up to the 70's cocaine was almost non-existent on the streets. It started trickling in in the 60's, the 70's it was around but expensive, and it became affordable in the 80's thanks to the Iran-Contra Affair.

I know this thread is very old but I have the answers. I've read shitloads of books about Ray Charles lately. Most of the time he bought ounces with his mates. When divvying up the dope with Fathead and the others, he'd usually have his girl (Mary Ann Fisher or Margie Hendricks) check whether they were ripping him off. And they'd usually end up fighting like fuck with Ray accusing Fathead of taking too much. As for banging up, he always had someone do it for him, his "personal doctor" as he called them.

Idk why everyone is impressed with him shooting up.
All he has to do is feel for a vein, and hit. Idk.. whatever.

Well it all depends what kind of veins he had. If his were like mine then indeed he didn't really need eyesight to shoot up...

You still need eyesight to tell if you've registered or not. Yes you can feel for a vein and get the right spot, but how could you tell if you where in? If that's what he did then I bet he missed a bunch of shots.

I'm sure with the money he had and the fact he was blind... he had people do it for him.

You still need eyesight to tell if you've registered or not. Yes you can feel for a vein and get the right spot, but how could you tell if you where in? If that's what he did then I bet he missed a bunch of shots.

I'm sure with the money he had and the fact he was blind... he had people do it for him.

If you are skilled enough you can tell you are in vein just by the feel when pushing the needle in. It's a feeling that is hard to explain but once you realize that feeling you can tell you are in. When I was addicted to heroin, I used to be able to hit a vein in the dark. No lie.

Its like the feeling of cutting through a sausage with a natural casing, like a certain snap....
With tar, you can tell immediately after only a few units if you're missing, it hurts like hell! You can tell with powder too, but not as much...with cocaine, you can't feel the miss at all...

If you are skilled enough you can tell you are in vein just by the feel when pushing the needle in. It's a feeling that is hard to explain but once you realize that feeling you can tell you are in. When I was addicted to heroin, I used to be able to hit a vein in the dark. No lie.

Yeah, some veins you can do that with if they are in healthy condition, but that can't be even close to counted on after a while and you're having to hit small veins at odd angles, with scar tissue piled up, etc. No way.

You can tell you're missing from the burn, but that's a horrible way to shoot up, hah. Having all these tiny little misses until you randomly get the needle in the right spot and don't feel pain when injecting. His arms must have been a mess in that case.

I have shitty girl veins, but I think I could probably shoot in the dark with a little practice. I can't see my veins whatsoever so I have.. or had when I used to do it, to go by feel alone.

As for registering, I don't think you'd even need to see it or feel it, I can think of an easier trick. For those that have done it, remember the sensation of pulling back the plunger with your finger... If you haven't registered, you get a vacuum, it's both slightly harder to pull the plunger back, and also push's itself forward again under pressure, if you hit the vein, blood will flow... it won't try and push itself back forward from the vacuum.

Ah junkie cleverness... :D

People who are blind do have heightened other senses, so maybe that had something to do with him being able to feel it more, rather then need to see what he's doing.

Still, I'm sure he had somebody do it for him a vast majority of the time. He was rich and blind.. why fuck around sticking yourself if your Ray bloody Charles? Ha.

If I had the money, I'd hire a professional nurse to be around me 24/7 to inject me whenever I wanted.

If you guys read previous posts, I wrote that, yes, he did have a "doctor" to do it for him most of the time. But it's suggested he also did it himself sometimes. When he was arrested after a bust (he was busted several times, not just once) the police report mentioned that he had "some of the worst track marks" the cops had ever seen - so he must have been stabbing the shit out of his arms.
Still, it is possible to shoot up without seeing. Personally I don't need to look to know that I'm in the vein, like Guido said, it's hard to explain, but when you feel it you just know. And last night I tested myself and jacked up twice with my eyes closed (yes I was VERY bored). The first one was kinda messy but didn't miss, and the second one was real easy - and I'm not even that good or very experienced with needles, I'm aware that I'm lucky my veins are almost custom designed for banging up though.

Oh and Ray Charles wanted to teach Mary Ann Fisher (his first female singer) to shoot him up but apparently she told him to go fuck himself.

The answer to this thread is: WHY IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR RAY CHARLES TO BE AS FAMOUS jjAS RAY CHARls WITHOUT DOPE.

:)

Makes me wanna watch that movie again. That was good shit, whether it was realistic or not.

The reason Ray could do this is the same reason that folk who've never used opiates will never understand. Once you've been taking them for a long time, you need them to be "normal". He probably needed them to perform and be himself at some point. I played professionally back in the day and rarely mixed the two but at the end of the day, it wasn't too hard to do. A pro like Ray would have never had a problem unless be was totally bonked!

Im trained in phlebotomy and I bet I could hit a vein in the dark. Ive had to draw blood from some pretty tough ones.
Palpating is important when using a vein you should always feel for it and k ow where its at before you trust where it looks like its at.
for some people this is easy and other not so much.