View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Rave music is scary

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
About a year ago I went to a rave-type thing and took acid. It was a poor decision at the time. My mindset was very poor, thinking a lot, socially anxious, existential, etc.

The night sucked. I freaked out internally, thinking way too much, feeling my insides get tense, and stuff feeling unreal and aaaa. I've had better acid trips before.

Ever since, though, hard loud electronic music has sent my mind slightly reeling in feelings of doom and isolation, with a pinch of existential despair (from association, no doubt). It's not overwhelming, but it's enough to make me nervous and not feel free to dance to it.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? I'd like to know how easy it is to overcome this, and how to do it. There's a festival coming up I'd like to go to, and I realize how fun they can be, but I don't want the experience for me to be ruined by an irrational fear of really good music.

Thanks for listening BL!

I've never gotten much into rave music, techno, etc. but I can definately get into it on most trips, but especially MDMA, 2c-i and more light and stimulative psychs. Never listened to anything along those lines on acid as far as I can remember. It's all about set/setting though. I've never had what I would consider a 'bad trip'. Can't stress that enough.

I have heard songs while in a very intense trip on something and could never listen to them the same again. If you want to break down this barrier you have with EDM I would suggest taking some MDMA or Alcohol and hit up a rave again or just listen to the music. MDMA has very amazing therapeutic potential and could help you if you let it :]

Good luck, Disliking EDM should never happen to someone because of a drug! The music is beautiful <3

I think it has to do with what type of electronic music is on. I find I don't like the deep dark intense stuff; it gives me those same feelings of despair and impending doom. I like the beautiful, uplifting, light stuff. Not the cheesy happy hardcore stuff but trance from the late 90s seems to fit the bill for me. :)

I second what felix just said. Don't dose acid. Get some good MDMA. MDMA + EDM = :) <3

All your fears and anxieties will melt away.

Damn... I know that there will come a day, many years from now, when MY kids laugh at how socially unacceptable my behavior is. DAMN.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm trying to take a break from MDMA. Though I've only been using it about once every two months, I feel like I've been needing it too much, if you know what I mean. It's such a healing and positive experience that I sometimes become too attached to the experience, and that's stressful.

Yeah, the most important thing with MDMA is to spread out your use so it doesn't loose its magic.

but I don't want the experience for me to be ruined by an irrational fear of really good music.

Well, you've almost answered your query. If you know its an "irrational fear" (well, most 'fears are irrational) of good music, then just keep repeating that to yourself. What type of tunes are being played at said festival- whatever they are, try listening to them whilst sober and simply realise its just music, NOW, not music, then- when you were tripping and frightened. Perhaps a bit of pot could help you feel the music on a more visceral and physical level....

I've had similar experiences; after really anxiety induscing trips at psy-doofs, trance can take on a menacing, NOISY, distracting and chaotic overtone. My solution is to stop listening for a while, and just read or somesuch. Your obviously aware that your 'fear' of rave music is not really based on anything in particular; but our brains link stimuli to emotions- thankfully, we can 'unlink' those simply by thought.

If you really think about it, what is there to even be frightened off? Its just really high amplitude vibrations (music, that is)....

Thank you all very much for your input. I like what you say, swilow, except for the pot part. Pot tends to be pretty anxiety-inducing for me.

L and rave music does not really work for the best for me. Though i never had an experience that would cause general anxiety to a particular Type of music. Did anything really negative happen while a certain part of the music was playing.? External events can link themselves with your mind in weird ways. The music is the trigger to something else that happened(most of the times).

double the dose, alone, with the playlist from the rave and just let thought flow without fear.

you'll be over it by the next morning.

L and rave music does not really work for the best for me. Though i never had an experience that would cause general anxiety to a particular Type of music. Did anything really negative happen while a certain part of the music was playing.? External events can link themselves with your mind in weird ways. The music is the trigger to something else that happened(most of the times).

It wasn't external events, it was internal events. Just nasty lonely feelings while huge music played in the background. Simple association, that's all.

I second Karruters in theory.

Re-association. You need to go back and reroute your emotions.

My first shroom trip had a terrifying come-up. We were in a dark room listening to a discordant techno mix. I couldn't listen to parts of that mix for a long time afterwards without feeling really uneasy and unhappy.

I suggest playing it and going on a long, sunny drive on a good day. It's ultimately what worked for me.

Maybe play some Lustmord or similar dark ambient music- for comparison. Not neccesarily while tripping; but Lustmord at least seeks to create an unsettling soundscape; not much sounds particually ominous after hearing his music/sound. :)

i would suggest a large dose of MDMA and some happy hardcore... Its very happy...

Some EDM gets kind of dark, i like parties where there are at least 2 djs playing at once, if you dont like the feel of a room then go to another....

Generally unless your very familiar with a substance like LSD i would not go to a rave on it, mushrooms were even more intense... I can not have too much going on while on mushrooms... Sensory fucking overload....

I would say try some MDMA at a place your comfortable with a few friends and play EDM. try to find subgenres that you like... I like just about everything from breakbeat, trance, psytrance, dubstep, some house, hardcore, hard style and a lot of others.

Dubstep is the great chill music... its slower BPM, and can be anything from more instrumental to electronic...