• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Racing Heart on Weed

When i smoke too much of a sativa dominant strain is only when I notice the racing heart, but in reality youre heart doesnt race that much, youre just freaking out about it, and since youre stoned, you cant really gauge it accurately. Long story short, it cant kill you, and if you get a little anxious, just remind yourself that. If that doesnt work, then stop smoking pot or smoke indicas and see if that helps.

when i first started smokin weed i'd always get a racing heart, usually by the time the joint was over and i was wonderin if that weed was any good. then i'd know that i was gonna get mad high... first the racing heart, then the dry mouth, then that uncontrollable stoned smile came up and i was stoned off my mind... that doesn't ever happen to me anymore, but also i have never gotten as high as i did when i first started smokin weed...

where i live we don't get to pick if it's sativa or indica, but by what i've read most of what is here is mostly sativa, so i guess the racing heart is related to the anxiety induced by a very strong sativa getting you very high, as i said before, i only get a racing heart if i was gonna get very high...

Man I don't have a clue the diff is.In the day u got redbud or gold

I'm 35 and I started smoking when I was 16. About two years ago I started getting these panic attacks after smoking. Never had them before, ever! My doctor gave me a medical card (I live in cali) and told me to try to get indicas add much as I can. You want something with lower thc levels and higher cbd levels. Sativas have let thc and are more body highs then mind highs. Worked for me.

Your heart is not really racing when your high, that's just an illusion. Even if its not, no one has suffered any ill physical effects from weed

Ummmm. .. No its racing. It's a very real "side affect" whether it bothers you or not, the elevated heart rate is real

It just depends on the person. Like I said, for me, the anxiety never happened for the first 10 years of smoking, but now it does. Weird but not completely unheard of.

Glad I found this thread.. Over 20 yrs ago, I would smoke all the time, many times a day. This went on for many years. Worst thing would be a little paranoia but never felt rapid heart rate. Took a long of time off smoking, just under 20 yrs, and started smoking again a couple years ago. Only recently have I felt heart racing and palpitations. I have high BP, getting old sucks. I have a BP cuff and both HR and BP went up very high after lighting up. Mentally, was not paranoid or having anxiety. Only fear that kicked in after realizing what was going on. so I reluctantly stopped smoking. Wondering if I can train myself back or not. So far haven't tried cause it's not worth the risk.
while I was going through this, a little while ago, a friend of mine died of a heart attack - lived in a different state, we weren't smoking the same weed. It was completely out of the blue. We are in our early 40's. He wasn't a drinker and his only drug was weed. Overall in good health and his parents are still around so no family concerns of heart attacks. I can't say if the weed caused it but I know he didn't have high BP or know of any medical issues. And he was smoking that night. No other drugs.
Try googling 'heart attack marijuana'. You can't trust everything online but there seems to be enough out there to support the possibility.
My dilemma is I'm trying to kick something else and wanted to use weed to help. But I guess that's off the table.

It might be real, but still, it isn't dangerous. If you think that weed can induce a heart attack and take this with you into the experience, it might, while your high become a very real scenario to you and only you and then after it wears off you'll realize that it was all in your head. I have had a lot of experience with pot and although it can change your reality/perceptions of reality a lot more than people think, it cannot ever under any circumstances induce a heart attack or even as much as harm a single cell in the body. It is actually less physically toxic than water.

Last edited:
Good point. You're right it can't hurt you but it sucks. But your point is important to remember if it happens to you. The key is to just relax and don't let the elevated rate get in your head.

To me it just sounds like one of those random heart attacks and it was just his time to go. Really sorry for you and his family. That's a rough one

Are you mixing tobacco with your weed ?

It can produce such negative effects , if so .

Glad I found this thread.. Over 20 yrs ago, I would smoke all the time, many times a day. This went on for many years. Worst thing would be a little paranoia but never felt rapid heart rate. Took a long of time off smoking, just under 20 yrs, and started smoking again a couple years ago. Only recently have I felt heart racing and palpitations. I have high BP, getting old sucks. I have a BP cuff and both HR and BP went up very high after lighting up. Mentally, was not paranoid or having anxiety. Only fear that kicked in after realizing what was going on. so I reluctantly stopped smoking. Wondering if I can train myself back or not. So far haven't tried cause it's not worth the risk.
while I was going through this, a little while ago, a friend of mine died of a heart attack - lived in a different state, we weren't smoking the same weed. It was completely out of the blue. We are in our early 40's. He wasn't a drinker and his only drug was weed. Overall in good health and his parents are still around so no family concerns of heart attacks. I can't say if the weed caused it but I know he didn't have high BP or know of any medical issues. And he was smoking that night. No other drugs.
Try googling 'heart attack marijuana'. You can't trust everything online but there seems to be enough out there to support the possibility.
My dilemma is I'm trying to kick something else and wanted to use weed to help. But I guess that's off the table.

Try edibles. Start with low dose though!!

I find the heart rate thing to hit me more some times than other times. It's definitely got to do with mindstate and setting the most, if you start having panicky thoughts the heart is definitely going to get going worse. Strong high-THC low-CBD sativas also give me much more of a pounding heart during the first half hour or so of the high, indicas can have this effect as well but in general seem to make me pay less attention to heart rate.

Other times I can be smoking the same mystery strain all week, smoking equally sized joints, get an annoying heart beat one day and not the other. I think it might have to do with a vitamin/mineral deficiency. Also drinking lots of water during the day before getting high helps. Best of all, smoke weed after you've gone for a run/workout. I find my highs to be much more enjoyable after some good exercise ;).