• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting Methadone (that bastard)

HerbsQuit

Bluelighter
I was on Heroin for over a decade. Just that. I was a painfully loyal lover of Mr. H. I didn't cheat on him with Cocaine, Esctacy, or other stimulants. I was a downer 100%.

Then i got on Methadone. For 13 fuckin years. I tapered from 80mg at the start to 40mg then i just take 40-30mg for the last 7 years.

Then my clinic decided to close because the new hospital director is a fuckin asshole who wants money. The government isn't giving the hospital money anymore so that asshole of a director decided to kick us all out. All 70 MTD patients.

Next clinic for me is 45mins away by car, must go through a paid highway. And don't laugh. I can't drive. Never learned. Also isn't allowed as long i am on these meds.

So i tapered again 2mg one week then 3mg one week to 25mg.

Then one morning when i am supposed to be tapered again to 20mg (even faster coz the clinic gonna close in 2 months), i took 1mg Xanax before i went to clinic. Which made me high as hell.

I was so high and so sick of methadone. U know, everytime u taper u have withdrawal. Everytime u taper u have withdrawal again. And again. And again. Especially below 30mg. It's like shit.

So while high on Xanax i told my doctor, "Doc, i want to just stop Methadone right now. Today. That's it. I'm done."

The doctor at first wanted to precribe me 10mg codeine to counter the withdrawal of 25mg methadone.

I told him, "Doc, 10mg codeine for us is like for cockroach. Even cockroach if u give it Methadone everyday then u switch to 10mg codeine it will fly south and crash."

In this stupid country, so many psychiatrist don't know shit about addiction, withdrawals, nor how we feel, nor what happens after such long term of opioid inside our brain. (Don't ask me which country, i have a reason not to say.)

Like seriously, he wanna give a 13 years Methadone patient 10mg codeine for withdrawal. Methadone, which is 5x stronger than Morphine.

So i educated him and told him to give me 100mg codeine + 50mg tramal 4x a day
1mg Xanax 1x a day to be taken as needed only for panic attacks
10mg Diazepam 1x a day to be taken as needed for muscle pain and spasm
0.15 Clonidine 1x a day to be taken as needed for sleep and muscle pain during sleep.
I am no doctor so i just told him these meds from what i researched and asked around.

Now start the next day...no more Methadone (that bastard).
Not saying Methadone is not useful. It HELPED SAVED MY LIFE from being Mr.H's slave for a decade. But after years on Methadone i am no more an addict. At such low dose of 30mg i don't feel high. I drink Methadone only because i am dependent on it so i don't feel withdrawal. Addiction and Dependence is different. Do they call those people dependent on diabetic meds addicts? No. But for us is like everybody thinks us as an addict forever.

Some days i wake up with withdrawal and i think to myself, why in the fuck do i still have to drink this shit? It's not like i have cancer, or spinal injury, or got crashed by a plane.

Not to mention having always to go to clinic. The stigma. People and even my own father look at me like i am some kind of a disease. Limiting my freedom. Inability to travel anywhere more than a week, coz that is the max take home dose they allow.

The first day without Methadone, i woke up as usual at 4:30am. The Methadone in this country never lasted more than 20 hours. No matter how they insist it last 36 hours. It's a lie.

Maybe because it's mixed with syrup? I have no idea. But every patients agrees it never last more than 20 hours.

I had severe panic attack. So severe my legs were shaking non stop and i was walking in circles in my room. I took 100mg codeine + 50mg tramal, still panic attack. So i took Alprazolam 0.5 mg. Nothing. I took again 0.5mg after 40mins. Nothing. I was sweating, had chills, but no muscle pain (yet). I took the codeine+ tramal 4x a day.

Note: i am not a Benzo addict. I only started taking Alprazolam while i was tapering on Methadone from 30mg to 25mg, twice a week.

At night i made a mistake instead of taking the clonidine i took 10mg of Diazepam + VitD3 and Magnesium.

Day 2:
Woke up at 3am.
Still panic attack, sweating, chills, restless leg syndrome, felt like electrocuted from my spinal cord and the muscle pain started. I took 1.5mg Xanax and i felt NOTHING. I was like WTF?! The Diazepam however works. BUT, only in small dose like 5mg. If i take 10mg i started to have weird stings and muscle pain even more. So weird?!

Day 3:
I took my usual codeine+tramal, gave up on Xanax coz i thought maybe if i rest it a day tomorrow it may work for my panic attacks. I took diazepam instead 2x a day 5mg each. And at night 10mg diazepam again to sleep.

Day 4:
Woke up at 3am
As usual codeine+tramal, then i tried again 1mg Xanax, again, nothing. In the afternoon i tried Clobazam 10mg and it works! I was like huh?

I am not a benzo expert, maybe i'm stupid thinking Xanax would help me better.

At night i took clonidine 0.15mg to sleep. I slept like a baby.

Day 5:
I woke up at 5:45am! An improvement! With anxiety, no more panic attacks. But drowsy from Clonidine. Yesterday i also asked my doc to prescribe me clobazam 10mg 4x a day. I took them with the codeine+tramal. I was so drowsy whole day. Before day 5 i could not feel the opiate/opioid i assume because my Methadone is still blocking them. At night i didn't take the clobazam nor clonidine but i took 5mg Diazepam. Again, big mistake.

Day 6 (today)
I woke up still with some anxiety but not as intense, at 3am. I should have took clonidine, i would have slept better. I woke up because some fibromyalgia while laying down, which gets better if i stand up/ wake up.
I took codeine+tramal again, same dose. I should have asked my doc to taper the dose but i heard Methadone's withdrawal is the same day to day up to 15 days unlike H's withdrawal that goes down each day.
I havent take the clobazam. Doc said clobazam is safer than xanax coz it doesnt build tolerance.
But it makes me so drowsy like a Zombie.
Today i also feel needle like pain on my right lower stomach just on the right side above the navel, i can only pray it isn't my kidney complaining due to all these strong meds.
I am 45 years old. And scared to death of Benzo addiction from what i read around. Which could cause seizure even death. However my doc told me, "If you need it, you need it. Take it for now and we'll plan later after day 15."

I imagine in my mind, "Shiet, by day 15 i would be a Benzo addict. Right? Right?!?"

But now i also feel depressed. I need that happy euphoric feeling of Xanax. Which doesnt do anything to me anymore. OMG am i craving benzo already.

I want to try SSRI, i have zoloft and escitalopram but scared to take it. If i remember correctly SSRI stops opiate/opioid from working. So maybe this will cause me withdrawal. I'm not sure.

I also have no idea why the xanax was working when i was on Methadone. Then stopped working instantly like a bitch when i am on Codeine + Tramal?

I read that benzo blocks opiate or something like that but never heard of opiate blocks benzo.

Is it the codeine? Is it the tramal?

But isn't Diazepam and Clobazam benzos too? Why they work?!?

I am so depressed right now i don't know what to do. Now it's still early in the morning, i'll probably come back and update...

Last edited:
@HerbsQuit share if your male or female as chronic methadone use effects hormones and vitamin levels. I see you have some endocrine issues as well. I believe you have a great chance of these being resolved as well.

@HerbsQuit share if your male or female as chronic methadone use effects hormones and vitamin levels. I see you have some endocrine issues as well. I believe you have a great chance of these being resolved as well.
I am female. What is endocrine issues?
How did you quit all those? Wow!
And thank you for your support.
Will the withdrawal ever ends...

Last edited:
I am female. What is endocrine issues?
The fibromyalgia. Can you get your vitamin d level checked. Also do you see a endocrinologist.. best to see a female imho.

Yes.. it took about a year and a quarter for full relief. That’s where the handle comes from.. neversickanymore.. so I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and irritable bowel etc.

So methadone can have significant effects on vitamins and hormones. I know more about the male ones.. that’s why I think seeing a talented female endocrinologist may be a good idea to consider.

Last edited:
Hey welcome to bluelight!

I was able to get off methadone, and was on a massive 380mg/day at one point. It took me around 18 months to taper off.

Sounds like you are doing ok, but you still have quite a road ahead of you unfortunately.

Be careful with the benzos. Benzo withdrawal makes methadone withdrawal look like walk in the park. I know from very painful experience. Benzo withdrawal is so traumatic that you never really get over it completely, it changes you.

I am also on 30 mgs methadone
Have been on it forever. Over two decades ( on my current treatment, the third I do since 1993)
I really would like to quit, but I think I won't never be able to do it and probably will be a lifer, even if it means being a loser or a pussie in some people's or doctors' eyes
Those miserable drops under 40 or 30 you told have become unbareable to me.

You are being very brave, but, and I hate to say it, if you are on your 6° day, and taking tramadol and codeine, you still have to endure the worst of it.
In my experience, methadone wds only hits its full horror around days 8 to 12 after last dose, and stay hellish for a good month
When I was forced to cold turkey 60mgs plus half a gram ived H plus ramdom use of rohypnol, I had to wear diapers for over a month, and at some point I thought I was losing my mind for good. . I am 48 and have experienced some shit in life, but that brutal detox is the worst thing I have ever endured. It hunts me to this very day.

Only advise I want to give you is get Lyrica/ pregabalin and be very careful with benzos, even quit them. Pregabalin should make the same deal as benzos, anxiety and sleep wise, but also will help you with restless shit and other wds symptoms.

Now, pregabalin is not a free lunch either, it has its own wds, so don't keep using it for months on end.

Wish you the best.

I was on Heroin for over a decade. Just that. I was a painfully loyal lover of Mr. H. I didn't cheat on him with Cocaine, Esctacy, or other stimulants. I was a downer 100%.

Then i got on Methadone. For 13 fuckin years. I tapered from 80mg at the start to 40mg then i just take 40-30mg for the last 7 years.

Then my clinic decided to close because the new hospital director is a fuckin asshole who wants money. The government isn't giving the hospital money anymore so that asshole of a director decided to kick us all out. All 70 MTD patients.

Next clinic for me is 45mins away by car, must go through a paid highway. And don't laugh. I can't drive. Never learned. Also isn't allowed as long i am on these meds.

So i tapered again 2mg one week then 3mg one week to 25mg.

Then one morning when i am supposed to be tapered again to 20mg (even faster coz the clinic gonna close in 2 months), i took 1mg Xanax before i went to clinic. Which made me high as hell.

I was so high and so sick of methadone. U know, everytime u taper u have withdrawal. Everytime u taper u have withdrawal again. And again. And again. Especially below 30mg. It's like shit.

So while high on Xanax i told my doctor, "Doc, i want to just stop Methadone right now. Today. That's it. I'm done."

The doctor at first wanted to precribe me 10mg codeine to counter the withdrawal of 25mg methadone.

I told him, "Doc, 10mg codeine for us is like for cockroach. Even cockroach if u give it Methadone everyday then u switch to 10mg codeine it will fly south and crash."

In this stupid country, so many psychiatrist don't know shit about addiction, withdrawals, nor how we feel, nor what happens after such long term of opioid inside our brain. (Don't ask me which country, i have a reason not to say.)

Like seriously, he wanna give a 13 years Methadone patient 10mg codeine for withdrawal. Methadone, which is 5x stronger than Morphine.

So i educated him and told him to give me 100mg codeine + 50mg tramal 4x a day
1mg Xanax 1x a day to be taken as needed only for panic attacks
10mg Diazepam 1x a day to be taken as needed for muscle pain and spasm
0.15 Clonidine 1x a day to be taken as needed for sleep and muscle pain during sleep.
I am no doctor so i just told him these meds from what i researched and asked around.

Now start the next day...no more Methadone (that bastard).
Not saying Methadone is not useful. It HELPED SAVED MY LIFE from being Mr.H's slave for a decade. But after years on Methadone i am no more an addict. At such low dose of 30mg i don't feel high. I drink Methadone only because i am dependent on it so i don't feel withdrawal. Addiction and Dependence is different. Do they call those people dependent on diabetic meds addicts? No. But for us is like everybody thinks us as an addict forever.

Some days i wake up with withdrawal and i think to myself, why in the fuck do i still have to drink this shit? It's not like i have cancer, or spinal injury, or got crashed by a plane.

Not to mention having always to go to clinic. The stigma. People and even my own father look at me like i am some kind of a disease. Limiting my freedom. Inability to travel anywhere more than a week, coz that is the max take home dose they allow.

The first day without Methadone, i woke up as usual at 4:30am. The Methadone in this country never lasted more than 20 hours. No matter how they insist it last 36 hours. It's a lie.

Maybe because it's mixed with syrup? I have no idea. But every patients agrees it never last more than 20 hours.

I had severe panic attack. So severe my legs were shaking non stop and i was walking in circles in my room. I took 100mg codeine + 50mg tramal, still panic attack. So i took Alprazolam 0.5 mg. Nothing. I took again 0.5mg after 40mins. Nothing. I was sweating, had chills, but no muscle pain (yet). I took the codeine+ tramal 4x a day.

Note: i am not a Benzo addict. I only started taking Alprazolam while i was tapering on Methadone from 30mg to 25mg, twice a week.

At night i made a mistake instead of taking the clonidine i took 10mg of Diazepam + VitD3 and Magnesium.

Day 2:
Woke up at 3am.
Still panic attack, sweating, chills, restless leg syndrome, felt like electrocuted from my spinal cord and the muscle pain started. I took 1.5mg Xanax and i felt NOTHING. I was like WTF?! The Diazepam however works. BUT, only in small dose like 5mg. If i take 10mg i started to have weird stings and muscle pain even more. So weird?!

Day 3:
I took my usual codeine+tramal, gave up on Xanax coz i thought maybe if i rest it a day tomorrow it may work for my panic attacks. I took diazepam instead 2x a day 5mg each. And at night 10mg diazepam again to sleep.

Day 4:
Woke up at 3am
As usual codeine+tramal, then i tried again 1mg Xanax, again, nothing. In the afternoon i tried Clobazam 10mg and it works! I was like huh?

I am not a benzo expert, maybe i'm stupid thinking Xanax would help me better.

At night i took clonidine 0.15mg to sleep. I slept like a baby.

Day 5:
I woke up at 5:45am! An improvement! With anxiety, no more panic attacks. But drowsy from Clonidine. Yesterday i also asked my doc to prescribe me clobazam 10mg 4x a day. I took them with the codeine+tramal. I was so drowsy whole day. Before day 5 i could not feel the opiate/opioid i assume because my Methadone is still blocking them. At night i didn't take the clobazam nor clonidine but i took 5mg Diazepam. Again, big mistake.

Day 6 (today)
I woke up still with some anxiety but not as intense, at 3am. I should have took clonidine, i would have slept better. I woke up because some fibromyalgia while laying down, which gets better if i stand up/ wake up.
I took codeine+tramal again, same dose. I should have asked my doc to taper the dose but i heard Methadone's withdrawal is the same day to day up to 15 days unlike H's withdrawal that goes down each day.
I havent take the clobazam. Doc said clobazam is safer than xanax coz it doesnt build tolerance.
But it makes me so drowsy like a Zombie.
Today i also feel needle like pain on my right lower stomach just on the right side above the navel, i can only pray it isn't my kidney complaining due to all these strong meds.
I am 45 years old. And scared to death of Benzo addiction from what i read around. Which could cause seizure even death. However my doc told me, "If you need it, you need it. Take it for now and we'll plan later after day 15."

I imagine in my mind, "Shiet, by day 15 i would be a Benzo addict. Right? Right?!?"

But now i also feel depressed. I need that happy euphoric feeling of Xanax. Which doesnt do anything to me anymore. OMG am i craving benzo already.

I want to try SSRI, i have zoloft and escitalopram but scared to take it. If i remember correctly SSRI stops opiate/opioid from working. So maybe this will cause me withdrawal. I'm not sure.

I also have no idea why the xanax was working when i was on Methadone. Then stopped working instantly like a bitch when i am on Codeine + Tramal?

I read that benzo blocks opiate or something like that but never heard of opiate blocks benzo.

Is it the codeine? Is it the tramal?

But isn't Diazepam and Clobazam benzos too? Why they work?!?

I am so depressed right now i don't know what to do. Now it's still early in the morning, i'll probably come back and update...
Hey, so benzos dont block opiates and vice versa, infact a dangerous combo. And yeah you dont want to experience benzo wd, just thought i would drop a few words. Hope you get things sorted.

Isn't it funny?

You can get fentanyl, oxycodone, hydrocodone, tramadol or any other opioid from a doctor (if you're lucky these days) without having to go through all the bullshit restrictions they have on methadone.

The restrictions on methadone is why I went with subs & still deal with chronic pain, depression & heroin cravings 5 years later.

We should just let people have their full agonist opioid of choice.

These long acting ones are too long acting & too potent, so they lose all their positive effects quicker and then you just get trapped in this cycle (depending on if it's bupe or methadone) of raising doses or not being able to raise doses (due to ceiling effect).

I felt much better & more energized when I used opioids like tramadol & heroin.
Buprenorphine however is very hollow feeling. It also comes with a risk of strokes, anuerysms, cerebral spinal fluid leaks, etc.. (I only learned this today, although I had some suspicion) that full agonist opioids don't have, yet this drug is some how suppose to be "better" and "saving my life" from those "evil full agonists"? Pfft. Please.

Isn't it funny?

You can get fentanyl, oxycodone, hydrocodone, tramadol or any other opioid from a doctor (if you're lucky these days) without having to go through all the bullshit restrictions they have on methadone.

The restrictions on methadone is why I went with subs & still deal with chronic pain, depression & heroin cravings 5 years later.

These long acting ones are too long acting & too potent, so they lose all their positive effects quicker and then you just get trapped in this cycle (depending on if it's bupe or methadone) of raising doses or not being able to raise doses (due to ceiling effect).

Buprenorphine however is very hollow feeling. It also comes with a risk of strokes, anuerysms, cerebral spinal fluid leaks, etc.. (I only learned this today, although I had some suspicion) that full agonist opioids don't have, yet this drug is some how suppose to be "better" and "saving my life" from those "evil full agonists"? Pfft. Please.
When i take bupre my right head felt numb and i literally have amnesia. I went to supermarket and drag someone else's cart. Then i took all the same things i already took. This girl then tapped me and said, " Hey u that's my cart!"
I was so shock! Like wtf

Hey, so benzos dont block opiates and vice versa, infact a dangerous combo. And yeah you dont want to experience benzo wd, just thought i would drop a few words. Hope you get things sorted.
Why it's a dangerous combo, please educate me

Hey welcome to bluelight!

I was able to get off methadone, and was on a massive 380mg/day at one point. It took me around 18 months to taper off.

Sounds like you are doing ok, but you still have quite a road ahead of you unfortunately.

Be careful with the benzos. Benzo withdrawal makes methadone withdrawal look like walk in the park. I know from very painful experience. Benzo withdrawal is so traumatic that you never really get over it completely, it changes you.
If i take these benzos for 15 days once a day at low dose will i have withdrawal then or i'm good?

The fibromyalgia. Can you get your vitamin d level checked. Also do you see a endocrinologist.. best to see a female imho.

Yes.. it took about a year and a quarter for full relief. That’s where the handle comes from.. neversickanymore.. so I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and irritable bowel etc.

So methadone can have significant effects on vitamins and hormones. I know more about the male ones.. that’s why I think seeing a talented female endocrinologist may be a good idea to consider.
Yes u r right. When i was still on Methadone if my dose is below 40mg i have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and ibs. But if i return to 40mg all symptom gone so i thought it was just withdrawal

Isn't it funny?

I hear bupe also attacks the heart valves. I have been on bupe over a decade and just so happen to have a dodgy heart valve.

If i take these benzos for 15 days once a day at low dose will i have withdrawal then or i'm good?
If you really keep it to 15 days, you should be fine.
Bad thing is methadone wd doesn't last 15 days. The sad reality is that at two weeks mark fucking methadone wds are at its maximun splendor, at their full intensity.
I would look for pregabalin as you can use it for a couple of months and then taper it down.
Pregabs have a nasty withdrawal, but not nearly as bad as benzos.
Also, if you are taking tramadol to ease methadone wd, at one point you will have to stop them and it won't be funny, so it will be hard for you to be suffering for weeks and don't use the benzos if you have them at hand.
I won't say " id I were you .." because I am not, but maybe your best option would be to stop (or fast taper) the tramadol and codeine and rely on your clonidine, pregabalin if you can get it, and maybe a little loperamide if needed , being aware that it is also an opiate
Good look

Thank you for the tips i will research Pregabalin. I'm not sure we have it here. Maybe just the earlier version Gabapentin.

Oh i thought they blocked it coz the naughty "kids" at the clinic use Benzo to stop Methadone from working then they shoot Heroin. 😬

Day 6 continuation
I woke up 3 am. Took Codeine 100mg+ Tramal 50mg. No Clobazam.
I reduced my coffee.
I took 1 Magnesium Brand Dr's Best high absorption (this pill calms me down a bit and stop constipation.) and 1 Passion Flower Extract.
I have headache on upper right side of my head. Maybe coz i mixed Passion Flower with Magnesium. Sometimes it happens.

In Afternoon i took just 100mg Codeine no Tramal.
I took a local Flu& Wet Cough meds with Paracetamol 500 mg, Phenylephrine HCL 10 mg, Glyceryl Guaiacolate 50 mg, Bromhexine HCL 8 mg.
This OTC Flu&Cough meds works like Tramal 😆, fuck even better! I was nodding a bit. So weird huh?

I honestly don't really like Tramal coz it's also an SNRI. During my research it said that Opiate/Opioid withdrawal is actually because over activity of Norepinephrine.
So wouldn't taking Tramal that blocks NE reuptake just cause wd worse?!?

Then i took 5mg Diazepam so i could eat. Diazepam makes me sooo hungry!

After that i took a nap. I woke up mid sleep i thought i was sleeping on sofa but huh no i was on my bed.

6pm for my next dose i took again just 100mg Codeine. Nothing else.

10pm i was so sleepy i took 50mg Codeine and 5mg Diazepam. I woke up at midnight. Craving for chocolate cake so i ate some. 😅
Took the 0.15mg Clonidine. I made a mistake of cutting it in half. No effect. Take another half. No effect. Took Clobazam and passed out until 5:45am. I woke up coz my cat just cannot stop meowing.

Today day 7 i plan to not take Tramal at all. I made it yesterday just once in morning. Maybe i can do it today.

My Methadone withdrawal is weird. Everyday different symptoms. First 3 days the most severe is just the panic attacks and restless leg syndrome. Then the anxiety.

The next day muscle pain.

Then next day fibromyalgia.

Then day after no fibromyalgia but headache and nausea and depressed.

Today i woke up just pissed at my cat no muscle pain no fibromyalgia no panic attacks but i will have to see what new withdrawal symptoms today.

Each day is better.. But maybe coz i havent reach day 15 yet...😭😭😭

Honestly i am so scared to death of day 15.

At times i want to just give up and take Methadone again. I was good on it. Except for the withdrawals each morning at 4am waking up sick. And sackled to clinic.

I am so worried when i am off all these opiate/ opioid what's my life gonna be?!?!?

Will i ever be happy again without euphoria?

Will i be a depressed woman until i die??

What if the start of my addiction is actually because my brain doesn't work like normal people and i actually need Methadone/ opiate/ opioid?

I am very negative today. Sorry 💔 😭😭😭

Last edited: