• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Quitting Cigarettes

I quit smoking cigarettes years ago … probably like 15 years ago. However … the way I did it was having a big bag (well lots of big bags *I was selling at the time*) of weed & every time I wanted to smoke a cigarette I’d roll a mini joint or blunt. Which just turned into me smoking weed all day & night for 15plus years. Also many times went through phases where I felt like I ‘had to’ smoke blunts (I think I was addicted to the tobacco in the leaf or something). I mean there were times where I had really good weed that you probably just needed a couple of hits out of a pipe or something, but still feel like I had to have a blunt. So I ended up always having blunts rolled & would just light them up, take a couple hits & put them out all throughout the day.
Anyways, I finally quit last year because I started having panic attacks every time I smoked all of a sudden. But I’ve noticed since I quit smoking that I feel like I have to drink more coffee for some reason.

Lol my bad, I’m sure I rambled a bunch & not even sure what my point is or what I’m really sayin here …. I guess just that addiction can be weird & mysterious sometimes.

Anyways … you’re doing awesome @jasperkent … I see you 😘 … quitting after that many years is definitely an accomplishment.
Big hug
🌺💜🌼🪷

tapering cigarettes is notoriously difficult and seems to be torturous, was for me anyway, but ymmv as always

when you get down to, say, four a day...then all you can think of is making the hours pass until the (increasing rized) ciggy

good luck though of course, such a dumbass shit drug I find it hard to believe now that I barely had a cig outta my mouth in waking hours for 25 years, ugh

I've done it before and found it quite easy. The issue always comes from I'm upset or stressed (from something unrelated) and lose motivation.
I'd definitely never CT cigarettes, especially after I just suffered a 9-day forced opioid CT. I can't do any more suffering any time soon.

Yeah, I agree with ageingpartyfiend on this.

Nicotine, especially via cigarette, is fast-acting and then wears off pretty quickly. As you light up fewer & fewer cigs, each cig you do smoke becomes more & more rewarding, so your craving intensifies.

Some people say that quitting cold turkey is the easiest method-- it's maddening for a couple of weeks but then it's over. There are drugs that reduce one's desire to smoke-- buproprion is one. When I was on it I smoked less, but I didn't quit. The only thing that has worked for me is switching to other sources of nicotine, but of course I'd been a daily smoker for 50 years. YMMV.

(edit) Frankly, if I could give up the vaping I'd be OK with chewing nic gum for the rest of my life. It's not the nicotine that scares me. It's the lung damage: cancer, emphysema, COPD, etc

Agree with your edit but for sure...the idea of not being able to breathe or constantly gasping for air sounds horrific.

Mostly, my reason for wanting to...well, I said QUIT, I meant "significantly cut down" as a combination of cigarettes being ridiculously expensive and because the less often I have them, the more I enjoy them.

the whole problem with ciggies is that they are still legal so you can go buy 10 packs a day if you want

im pretty sure , not always though , a lot more people would quit if they were outlawed/illegal

i havent smoked for 3 years now, but I do vape a very very low nicotine content

good luck on quitting!

The frogs in the pond next to my house are doing their Spring Singing and they are loud!
I love it.

Plus, they started up a couple days after I quit smoking 2 weeks ago. When I hear them I like to think they are cheering me on.

♥ ♥ ♥
🐸🐸🐸
They have just started overhere, over at my moms place were I stayed a night. Lot's of water around, a concert was given by whole orkest of Frog's, amazing.

One loud caugh of my Mom, and absolute silence for 5 minutes or so. That was kinda funny.

My opinion on Tobacco, made without additive's/ the natural version's are stronger then regular rolling version. Cigarette's are (both) a step down, especially the non classic (light) kind's.

Nicotin, in it's pure form like in lozenges , spray's gum and patches. Does nothing ime when getting a crave for Tobacco. Ignoring it work's better.
If there is something about inhaling smoke or a other mystery alkaloid maybe Harmine? That to me seem´s most abundant in the natural rolling Tobacco. Might this be the case, could explain why I like it.

Cytisine which like Varenicline (Champix) block the Nicotin receptor with higher affinty and a long half life. Varenicline having the longer one. Do take away any pleasure and soon after the craving for Tobacco smoke for me. Just take the right after waking and the decision was set.

So it's for me a total guess what causes this.

Nicotin, in it's pure form like in lozenges , spray's gum and patches. Does nothing ime when getting a crave for Tobacco. Ignoring it work's better.
If there is something about inhaling smoke or a other mystery alkaloid maybe Harmine? That to me seem´s most abundant in the natural rolling Tobacco. Might this be the case, could explain why I like it.
It's most reinforcing when inhaled through the lungs. Also, nicotine salts more simulate cigs than freebase.

the whole problem with ciggies is that they are still legal so you can go buy 10 packs a day if you want

im pretty sure , not always though , a lot more people would quit if they were outlawed/illegal
Nonsense.
Illegality never stopped me from using and abusing several other drugs. (I'm doing much better now)
♥But thanks for your support!♥

Nicotin, in it's pure form like in lozenges , spray's gum and patches. Does nothing ime when getting a crave for Tobacco....
Well, I always did love the smell & taste of tobacco. I rolled my own cigs for 30+ yrs and I also liked chewing tobacco, dip, and an occasional cigar. But I do get a kick out of nicotine itself. Not patches so much because I dig the oral fix, but I like the vaping and the gum. As with everything else, YMMV.

🐸 And yeah, frogs rock! 🐸

Nonsense.
Illegality never stopped me from using and abusing several other drugs. (I'm doing much better now)
♥But thanks for your support!♥

yeah i get your point just saying i think a lot more people would quit if they were not readily availiable!

good luck to you bro, have u tried vaping ? thats what got me of the death sticks, and I hardly vape at all now and my chest is so much better, no more chest infections, etc etc

It's most reinforcing when inhaled through the lungs. Also, nicotine salts more simulate cigs than freebase.
In the vapes, especially those marketed toward's kid's (found an empty refill), there where very clear discribed as main active ingredient. Fruity flavored, kiddy candy. The rumour to grow a new generation of Tobacco smoker's.

Can you describe the difference, I felt nada from the gum. Cytisine pill's where great though, for actual quitting, would block the Nicotin salt's probably to. Depending if they don't differ in affinity vs freebase.

The Nicotine salt's vs what is in Nicotine gum, Nicotine Freebase?

Or do you mean the part about the differing in affinty for the Nicotine receptor, the salt's might have.
I think that the salts enter the brain faster, I don't know much more. It's what made juul so popular.

The gum is a level or two below, because it's absorbed through the mucous membrane of the mouth.

They're all nicotine, but the routes of administration and forms that enter the brain faster are the most reinforcing.

I think that the salts enter the brain faster, I don't know much more. It's what made juul so popular.

The gum is a level or two below, because it's absorbed through the mucous membrane of the mouth.

They're all nicotine, but the routes of administration and forms that enter the brain faster are the most reinforcing.
Juul is very often on the tely, concern's about the youth aimed marketing. Like its something totally different then the first few generation's of Nicotin vaporizer's, which never catched on with the all time smoker's I saw.

So is a good drag from a Juul a stronger experience then a pipe filled with real Tobacco (not that fake Marlboro or commercial rolling kind).

Or is there something else in Tobacco that gives it such a short hard grounding rush. Only have that with the classic rolling version's of the so called natural blend's. There are a few available.

Tried it with commercial heavy/ regular version's. But even that doesn't come close. Now I use a Carbon filter, but how I used to do it is probably terribly bad for your lung's. As you inhale direct constantly till your full.