• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Quitting Cigarettes

FOUR WEEKS, NO CIGARETTES!

This is the longest I've gone without a cigarette in fifty years.

I don't miss 'em, either. My senses of taste & smell are sharper than ever and I'm starting to breathe better, too. I feel like my energy level is increasing-- probably because I'm getting more oxygen and less carbon monoxide.

At this point my nicotine intake is split between vaping and nic gum. I'm going to start phasing out the vaping soon. Eventually, I'll use just the gum and then work on cutting that out as well.

smoke-free and loving it,
yer pal Jasper

✌ ♥
That's like over 600 cigs you didn't smoke!

On one of his early appearances on Late Night with David Letterman (back when you could still smoke on the air), John Waters, while smoking of course, told Dave "I am a cigarette."
I could truly relate to that statement for many many years.

I didn't find that particular clip, but here's John telling moviegoers not to smoke in the theater way back in 1981:

🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
FORTY DAYS & FORTY NIGHTS!
(since I quit smoking)

I kicked the dip about a week ago. Now I'm trying to cut back on the vaping. Still fiercely chomping on 4mg nic gum, often two at a time.

Nicotine's a helluva drug.

(since I quit smoking)

I kicked the dip about a week ago. Now I'm trying to cut back on the vaping. Still fiercely chomping on 4mg nic gum, often two at a time.

Glad you kicked the dip, I was addicted to that shit for about a decade and a half, glad you didn't use regular wintergreen Kodiak, that shit hooked me fast. Others Copenhagen, yuck or skoal.

Glad you kicked the dip, I was addicted to that shit for about a decade and a half, glad you didn't use regular wintergreen Kodiak, that shit hooked me fast. Others Copenhagen, yuck or skoal.
I always liked Grizzly Straight Pouches. Good strong natural flavor, no bits of tobacco floating around. But I'm done with tobacco. We had a good run (I loved that shit) but enough is enough.

Now to wean off of vaping and then all nicotine....

(since I quit smoking)

Is that a play on what Rick James said about cocaine on the Dave Chappell Show? Lol

As many of you know, I've been smoking cigarettes daily for 50 years. For the past 45 years I've smoked at least a pack and a half a day. Although I've overcome addictions to various drugs and drug combos, I have never been able to kick my first habit: cigarette smoking. In fact, I tend to smoke even more when I'm clean & sober. This is despite the fact that every male relative on both sides of my family has died of some form of lung disease-- in my father's case, lung cancer.

When 2024 rolled around, I decided that I  had to do something about it. At 64, I am not afraid of death. As Mark Twain put it, I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. But I care a lot about how I die-- and, more importantly, how I live between now and then. I don't want to struggle to breathe and/or be incapacitated in my final years.

Since the first of the year I've been trying to cut back on my smoking -- with limited success. Generally, if I have cigarettes I am going to smoke them So I have to just quit. To be clear, I am not quitting nicotine. I am armed with nic gum, Grizzly pouches, and a vape pen. Oddly, I don't particularly like vaping so I doubt that it will become a problem.

Suggestions and encouragement welcome!

It's been 36 hours since my last cigarette.
(but who's counting?)
I recently have decided to cut out nicotine entirely. I am six days in now and my brain feels naked, is the best way I can describe it. When I was in my early/mid twenties, I smoked socially, and had no problem stopping. Now I'm almost 30 and quitting this time after smoking daily for four months has been a horrific experience. The anger and mood swings are something else. I applaud you for what your doing because I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to stop cigs after 50 years! Eventually it may be best to cut out nicotine altogether, since it is so addictive. But congratulations on what you've done so far.

I recently have decided to cut out nicotine entirely. I am six days in now and my brain feels naked, is the best way I can describe it...
The other day a young gal I work with used an expression that's probably not new but it was new to me.
Referring to someone who is trying to be 100% clean & sober, she said they were Raw-Doggin' Life.

I love that.

There is a tablet called champax works really good
Only problem Varenicline is prescription only like Cytisinicline.

Cytisine, brandname Tabex does the same but is OTC. Might be an good alternative, but you can always try the dr.

The other day a young gal I work with used an expression that's probably not new but it was new to me.
Referring to someone who is trying to be 100% clean & sober, she said they were Raw-Doggin' Life.

I love that.

Fuck, that is good.

Thanks for sharing. Added to the beauty of my day.

Small pleasures. :)

45+ days wow so great to hear that!

As you know, nicotine is incredibly hard to quit, it's also my first addiction and the one I've struggled to quit the most. I smoked a pack a day for about ten years and then switched to vaping. I'm currently weaning myself off the vapes and using nicotine pouches. So far so good and it's giving me hope that I can do this once and for all! This thread has helped motivate me even more :)

Good for you. I was quit for 3 years then my mom died and I started again.
Gonna have to try champix again, only thing that has ever worked for me

The only thing that works for me is not drinking. What a combo. Like the dreaded cocaethylene which I also rather enjoy. I'm somehow aging well though. Must be the clean diet, exercise, and decent sleep. Golden middle road, I guess. Or I'm going to die young-ish but looking good.
I think I'll try again being able to drink without smoking. This thread has inspired me to give it a go.