• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Questions about tolerance and codeine

ChimpImp

Greenlighter
My friend is curious about his response to codeine phosphate. 10 days after last using codeine - when he had used it three times before that over the course of 15 days - he took a dose 25% larger than his last. Expecting to have an experience at least as intense as his previous time, he was disappointed, with the drug working for much shorter than the previous times and the euphoria much less intense. My friend was under the impression that 10 days after a dose would be long enough to reduce tolerance enough so that a larger dose would bring about at least a similar effect, or even one better. Is he wrong or could there be other factors involved he is unaware of? If this is tolerance, how long must he wait between doses? Would potentiating counteract tolerance to some extent? Finally, would taking a substantially larger dose allow my friend to experience the same effects as gained from his earlier doses and would that then just increase tolerance even further?

Also, is my friend right in assuming that tolerance to codeine phosphate would also apply to dihydrocodeine?

If you take codeine over and over in the same environment/setting, the effect gets less and less intense simply because it's no longer a novel feeling.

10 days is not that long in the grand scheme of things either. Remember that the euphoria diminishes quite rapidly with codeine and all opioids...

Please edit your post to 'I' instead of 'my friend' as we know it's you..

"4) DO NOT INCRIMINATE YOURSELF
You can talk about smack you HAD, or stuff like that, but it's best if you avoid saying "I have this awesome smack, I bought a half ounce." Also, DO NOT come here looking to buy or sell drugs. You will be banned immediately. "

Am I missing something about this?

i have been on 8 30/500 solpadol per day plus 100S of mg of cwe codeine so my tolerance is sky high I'm currently having time off but it is a massive struggle i must say

Thanks for the responses. I had assumed with only infrequent use tolerance wouldn't develop so quickly and highly.

"4) DO NOT INCRIMINATE YOURSELF
You can talk about smack you HAD, or stuff like that, but it's best if you avoid saying "I have this awesome smack, I bought a half ounce." Also, DO NOT come here looking to buy or sell drugs. You will be banned immediately. "

Am I missing something about this?

SWIM, my friend etc offers no legal protection, so we don't use them but there's a small chance that police monitores BL, so writing 'I just bought 1 kg of heroin' etc. is a bad idea

SWIM, my friend etc offers no legal protection, so we don't use them but there's a small chance that police monitores BL, so writing 'I just bought 1 kg of heroin' etc. is a bad idea

Thanks for the information. I read the 'We don't use SWIM here' thread but I assumed that was just meant literally, i.e. don't use that specific term.

Weekly use of codeine (with a burst of hydromorphone in the middle for good measure) built a tolerance to opiates for me. Someone needs to cut back. I started at 32mg, started CWE to get 64mg, and would now have to take probably double that to get the kind of euphoria I used to get from 64mg even with my having had to take a few months off to keep similar doses of codeine (96-120mg usually) working and now I try not to use opiates more than once every two month (with some allowance for pain flare-ups).

Opiate tolerance is a right pain.