• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

Questions about my daughters over dose.. Please Help!

jazzyhope

Bluelighter
This may be the wrong place to post so forgive me and feel free to move this question. I have so many questions that need answering. Christmas day my daughter OD'd. She was a herion addict but her tox screen came back with only trace amounts of morphine (herion metabolized) and a huge amount of fentanyl. Blood levels were 22.4 and the therapeutic range is 1-3. They/we only found 1 100mcg patch on her and I've been told the patches are now tamper proof. How on earth were her levels so high? Can anyone give me an answer? She also had a small amount of dilaudid in her system and a small amount of xanax. The coroner said the COD was definitely fentanyl and she had a needle in her hand when we found her. I assumed she had OD'd on herion. I dont know much about fentanyl patches but do about the other drugs. If you have any insight or ideas of how her fentanyl levels could be so high please share. Thanks so much.

NSA EDIT: I'm going to move this to Other Drugs and see if they can shed some light on what happened. Im sorry for your loss <3

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be that she had more fentanyl that she had used prior/more patches etc. that are hidden that you didn't find..

I cleaned out her room, there was no sign of any. I found a spoon with white residue and the back of a patch. Nothing else. Are patches injectable? tamper proof?

You can inject the patches. It is an incredibly dangerous thing to do and OD's happen all the time this way.

But, it's pretty obvious that is what happened.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I had a friend who went to rehab for opiates and planned one last haraaaaahhhh when he got out and had every intention of sobriety for life after the fact. Combined fen with H and passed away the very first time with this. Extremely dangerous and the standard dose of an opiate with this will usually result in just this kind of tragedy. From what i have heard(no personal experience) the patches can be cut up and/or eaten and the gel inside can be smoked. Apparently heating the patch can release it into the blood faster as well. All of these methods can/will increase blood concentration levels versus simply wearing the patch. So sorry for your loss.

Opiate addiction has been a horrible battle, I know from personal experience too. I never used patches or knew anything about them though. I had heard there were so many deaths the fentanyl patches that the pharmaceutical companies were forced to change them... make them impossible to abuse by injecting or eating. So this is false?

First thing, im very sorry for your loss. Im a father myself and cant imagine how hard the loss of my daughter would be.
Please excuse me for being blunt but addicts will ALWAYS find a way to abuse their drug of choice.
The pharma companies will claim that their product is tamper or abuse proof but the sad fact is that addiction makes people extremely resourceful, when it comes to getting their fix.
Fentanyl, although short acting is very potent and is infact used post and during surgery because of its potentcy.
Unfortunately this potentcy leads to very sudden ODs and a large amount of deaths,l. Your daughter was another unfortunate victim of a powerful opioid that is best never used for recreation.
Again, im sorry for your loss.

As Bunge said, there will always be a way found to abuse every type of drug that is manufactured even the ones that say they are now tamper proof or abuse proof.

Yes, there are many ways that the new patches can still be abused, heat can be applied and it will release the meds much faster, there are ways to extract the meds and inject, they can still be chewed/eaten and smoked..none of that has changed, only the way in which it is done.

I too am so sorry for your loss, I cannot even begin to imagine the pain..

Thank you all, this has been helpful. I've been struggling to understand.... I have a little peace, knowing she is not fighting this battle anymore.

can provide no experise beyond that which has already been lent. fentanyl is absolutely terrifying... and that's speaking as someone who IVs dope myself. I'm really sorry for your loss.

take care of yourself.

I am so sorry for your lose. She likely didn't realize the potency of Fentanyl (they use it to tranquilize Elephants, to put that into perspective). I'm guessing one of these scenarios occurred:

1) She scored what she thought was Heroin put was in fact Fentanyl and OD'd that way.
2) She injected the contents of the Fent patch, people are always finding ways around "tamper-proof" medications.
3) She was celebrating Christmas junkie style (I mean no disrespect, I've ruined my share of family holidays and it pains me) and she dosed a little higher than usual, and any benzo (esp Xanax which hits hard and fast) greatly potentiates opiates or any sedative.
4) She took the Xanax and forgot she'd already dosed her Opiates and re-dosed. I've done this many times.

Again, I am so, so, sorry for your loose. I pray that my parents never have to go through what you did. My heart goes out to you.

That's sad. May she rest in peace. She may have had fent in her heroin... or she just injected the patches...

No she was not a bluelighter... (not that I know of). She's been an addict for 15 years. Been in 4 rehabs. Jail 3 times. She was in a car accident when she first got her license and killed a pedestrians who was in the middle of a busy road. 100% not her fault but the his family wanted revenge/justice and tried to blame her. She had some traces of drugs in her system, she was experimenting in high school, but was NOT HIGH at the time of the accident. She never got over this, even with counseling, and turned to drugs from then on to numb her pain.
First meth, then pills, only recently Herion. She had a good heart and soul, wouldn't harm a fly intentionally. I miss her so badly I can hardly bare it. I have a lot of good memories and believe she is in paradise now, a much better place than here. She hated being an addict & could never stay clean long. I tried to monitor the cash and money she had so I could keep an eye on her. She was also on probation. But she had gotten $100 from a family member the night before she died and scored before I realized it. I couldn't let her live with me because she would get in our wallets in the middle of the night. She was staying with my mom who has no credit cards or extra cash around. This was my first born daughter. I never knew pain like this before. They ARE things WORSE than dying. I HAVE to believe she's been spared some fate worse than death. That's the only way I can cope. But like Ive already said, I also HAD to know how she died and I know nothing about Fentanyl patches. She had shot dilaudid previously, taken a couple of my moms xanax (1mg each) and also injected herion. All this was on her tox screen too. I've been struggling to figure out how the fentanyl levels were so high with only 1 patch & you all have been VERY VERY helpful. I had been told by a CONVINCING source that those patches were now tamper proof, leading to my confusion & questions. Thanks again for you kind words.

If you're looking for some more support or just to talk about your loss, I can move this thread over to The Dark Side if you'd like. There are a lot of good people over there who can give you some good advice.

Ok thank you. I mainly wanted to find out about the patches but support would be nice.

I'm not sure, but I believe the 100mcg/hr patches contain about 16mg of fentanyl each. 10mg of fentanyl is equivalent to 1 gram of morphine... and that's alot...

Okay so since the question about the patches and the actual drug side of things has been answered, I'm going to shoot this over to TDS so the OP can continue to get some support.

Again, very sorry for your loss. I wish you the best. It's just another prime example of why we need to do everything we can to keep these kids off drugs, or give them the proper knowledge to use safely.

OD--->TDS