• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Questions about IV complications

I thought when I was younger how cool and how much of a thrill using was but now having kids it scares the shit out of me. I mean we were all young once and the warnings we got we totally ignored because we had all of the answers. It really hits home when you try to spare the next generation of unnecessary pain. Keep up the good work! I read your posts(well the gist of them,lol) and see you truly try to educate.

teach them how to do a hot compress for abscess as it literally will pull the pus out while opening the skin so more releases without damaging like popping. It REALLY works done right.

Just get a towel and soak in warm water, wring it out so it is damp yet steamy hot, and apply to abcess with gentle pressure as long as possible until it is better. Of course the compress should be changed so the removed pus doesn't continue to infect the abcess as well as letting the wound breathe and get fresh aire.

I am addicted to IVing speedballs. Obviously started with H, then added the coke, then needed the coke (most of the time.) I have been shooting less than a year (8 mos), and even with excellent hygiene and shooting practices, I have collapsed most of the large veins in both arms and hands. My left hand is puffy all the time (lookup puffy hand syndrome). I don't know if I'm just sensitive or it's the inevitable result of the volume of injections that I'm doing.Has anybody ever had veins become reusable after time? I would sell my soul for the crooks of my elbows back. Anyway...My mom is a physician, so I keep some antibiotics around bc I can't stand the condescension that I get at the ER. Just my method.

Well yes, veins can become usable again but you have to give them time off. I know how addicting speedballs are, they took over a fair share of my life when I was on H and it was really only because of financial issues that I stopped and just kept going with the H. Also the problem with shooting coke and H is they come from the street so there is no way to know what they might be cut with. In some ways shooting pills can be safer than shooting street drugs (not often) just because there might be some cut in there destroying your veins. But it is honestly more likely that it is just overuse. I know it is hard to hear but give you veins a break. If you are just not ready for rehab then switch to nasal use of just the H for a couple months... who knows maybe in that time you will realize this is destroying your life and help you decide to try to kick that nightmare.

Suboxone/subutex is a lifesaver for people like us. I highly recommend you give sobriety a chance before it is too late. Even with perfect technique and hygiene you can't protect yourself from a pulmonary embolism. Stay safe my friend and if you need anything please don't hesitate to post here or PM me. It is a hard life out there for us addicts, just know there is help out there should you ever chose to accept it.

I too had a speedball problem for a time. Once you open that door it is extremely hard to close.

I have been sober since Nov 4 2014. My veins are just coming back. When I first went to rehab they couldn't even find a vein to draw blood. Ended up in detox for an extra three days because the nurse couldn't get blood. Basically, working out will help bring your veins back, and coax them to the surface. However, there is certain things that are irreversable that happens to veins. Scar tissue being the main culprit.

In my experience I've found that dirty/used needles are the biggest problem other than poor technique.

If I have new needles I never miss a shot but when it's been used 40+ times it causes problems. I have had SEVERAL infections like abscesses, phlebitis, etc. thus far I consider myself very lucky.

There are no needle exchanges anywhere near here, I live in a very rural and conservative part of the US so.. It's not easy.

Last edited:
In my experience I've found that dirty/used needles are the biggest problem other than poor technique.

If I have new needles I never miss a shot but when it's been used 40+ times it causes problems. I have had SEVERAL infections like abscesses, phlebitis, etc. thus far I consider myself very lucky.

There are no needle exchanges anywhere near here, I live in a very rural and conservative part of the US so.. It's not easy.

ouch! if that is what a needle looks like after 6 I can only imagine 40! Has your use been dropping at all?

I try my best to regulate it so I don't have to stick myself over and over again. It really sucks.. :(

My veins of course are wrecked in my forearms and the crook, I can hit my hands and wrists though. It looks awful so I normally use a vein along the inside of my ankle. My veins roll anyway and the dull needle makes it almost impossible.

Sure I could change the ROA but we all know why that isn't always easy..

I try my best to regulate it so I don't have to stick myself over and over again. It really sucks.. :(

My veins of course are wrecked in my forearms and the crook, I can hit my hands and wrists though. It looks awful so I normally use a vein along the inside of my ankle. My veins roll anyway and the dull needle makes it almost impossible.

Sure I could change the ROA but we all know why that isn't always easy..

It really is, I had a needle fixation (still do, but manage not to give in) and it was hard to beat. I would IV water if I couldn't get anything praying for placebo effect or something. LoL. But best thing to do is bundle them all up snap the in half/smash the needle off and just be rid of them. It has to be a sudden thing otherwise you are never going to be able to break the cycle... and I know you must be getting tired of you arms looking like that. Come on Peach I have faith in you! Remember, one step at a time... If you can get rid of the needles then you can eventually get off the stuff you are putting in them!

You're right, and I've kicked needles before but my life went down the shitter so I said fuck it, I'll shoot again. Every time I break my rig I end up getting another one somehow. It's like all I wanna do is listen to Acid Bath and shoot up, lol.

I still remember when a friend of mine use to work at a hospital and it was too easy to get rigs and all sorts of other stuff. But one day they put him on pharmacy disposal. It wasn't even in a sealed box or anything just a regular filing box with no lid. I still think it was on accident because like half of the shit in there were "expired" controlled substance vials. I remember we got a bunch of hydromorphone, lorazepam, and more morphine than we knew what to do with he brought it ALL home with him and had me sort out what was useful and what wasn't. I think there was some other goodies but those are for another story.

Well a four day weekend was coming up and I said, DUDE I have an idea... "can you get IV bags and rigging with injection ports?" and he walked me over to his closet and said is any of this stuff what you need? I was duuuude... and it was he had a bunch of saline bags, tubing, needles, and ports! I was like DUDE do you have any idea what is about to happen this weekend? He looked so excited but he had no idea what all of it was. He only brought it home because he sells them to frat houses who give each other IVs after they would party too hard. But I told him how else it can be used. SO I went out and got a few supplies, and brought my big corda-roy "bean bag" chair. Really like a gigantic king sized pillow. Then Friday when we both got off work, I set everything up in his apt. Then hooked up our ports and we literally sat around for four days just pushing hydromorphone and ativan through our bodies while watching TV/Movies/Video Games. I mean that to this day was the best IV experience of my life. Even a hospital does not compare because there was no limit to how much HM we could use LOL.

I know I seem like I have a stick up my ass a lot sometimes lol. But, I use to do some crazy shiz.

Damn! How did all that work out? I feel ya though, you wouldn't believe some of the shit I've done.. Or maybe you would lol.

You don't have a stick up your ass. It's just you're sober and the rest of us aren't so our antics seem that much more ridiculous. ;)

Oh man it was great we even had saline to keep everything sterile so the port didn't dry up or get infected. And the port was a line if port, so basically we got the butterfly's in on top of our hand and taped them down with bioclusive dressings and medical tape so the needle stays in you like at the hospital and the saline keeps it going. And then there is a port where you hook in a needless syringe full of your drug. No trying to find veins, no bruises, no missed shots, just four days straight of HM, We had so much it was just stupid how high we were... and how high we stayed!

God I was an idiot... thank you for not killing me sooner. lol Don't try this at home!

We should all be grateful to be alive! Shooting is dangerous as hell and some people on here have even lost limbs..

I wish there was a needle exchange around here. The hep c epidemic is getting worse every day but God forbid anyone get high. One time I had nodded out and somehow woke up with the needle broken off in my thigh just under my asscheek, lol. It was all bent and it wouldn't come out that easily. I'm pretty sure there's still part of a needle in my ass :/

You may want to try ordering online. This is one case where I really wish I could source some rigs for you because they are available through online delivery and you can get thousands as well as micron filters, the whole shebang. Try doing some research today you should be able to find some with ease. Then when you find some type the name of the website and the word "reviews" into google and make a decision based off of what others have said about ordering from them if you are worried it is a scam.

I broke the IV cycle too. It becomes a fetish. As mad dash said, I had to break all my needles. If not I would be fishing them out of the garbage can amid the used cat litter and wadded up tissues:(.

Breaking your needles, and staying away from folks is the way to do it. If you need to use, try plugging...similar rush and high but less detrimental to your health.

I'm pulling for ya peach, hopefully your luck holds out.

Thanks for your kind and helpful words everyone, you have been more supportive than my own family. It breaks my heart that society paradoxically values morality above all else, but the truly moral thing to do is to try and help each other regardless.. :)

But if this were a perfect world, people may not use drugs to the extent they do. Who knows?

I'm going to see about ordering some online before I really hurt myself. Thanks again! Peace

I used to worry a lot about hot red lumps at the iv site, usually they went away over the course of a few hours luckily. I have gone to the hospital for antibiotics a couple times though, so I guess my record shows I am an addict? One time I stuck with my story that it was from a guitar string poking me, and almost passed thru no prob. Then I saw red streaks going up my arm, and I went back and fessed up :) Anti biotics and a silly lecture.

I used to worry a lot about hot red lumps at the iv site, usually they went away over the course of a few hours luckily. I have gone to the hospital for antibiotics a couple times though, so I guess my record shows I am an addict? One time I stuck with my story that it was from a guitar string poking me, and almost passed thru no prob. Then I saw red streaks going up my arm, and I went back and fessed up :) Anti biotics and a silly lecture.

Guitar string huh? If my record didn't tell on me I might try that ;)

Seriously though, honesty about my affliction and antibiotics probably saved my life more than once.