• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Question about MAOIs

Inds

Bluelighter
I might be trying some anti-anxiety meds with some MAOI action. Does the danger of mixing mdma and meowies only apply when taking them on the same day or any time I'm enjoying any effect from a meowy? Basically, I'm asking how far apart must they be or if this isn't an option altogether.

What medication would be the first question?

I’m not sure if I can think of any that have some MAOI action, typically they are or they aren’t.

As far as mixing, they need to be separated by at least 14 days and that’s not an option. Absolutely do not mix them.

It depends on the action of it. Is it reversible or irreversible? Basically it needs to be 100% out of your system, could be a week, could be a month, depending on the medication. Do not mix at all

I'm experimenting with several Russian anxiolytics but I just realized that several of them are meowies or act as such so I wanted to know in general how carefully I must tread. The one I'm currently looking at is Mexidol and the following text seems to describe it as having some low key meowy effects.

The effects of original Russian 3-hydroxypyridine and succinic acid derivatives (emoxypine, Reamberin, and Mexidol) on monoamine oxidase (MAO-A and MAO-B) activity in rat liver were studied in vitro. The study drugs used in vitro at concentrations in the pharmacokinetic range (10 9 to 10 6 M), were found to have MAO-modulating actions, the directions depending on their chemical structural properties. The isolated 3-hydroxypyridine derivative emoxypine decreased MAO-A activity by 34 – 44% and MAO-B activity by 9 – 10% (p < 0.05 in both cases). The succinic acid derivative Reamberin increased MAO-A activity by 2-3% and MAO-B activity by 14% (p < 0.05 in both cases). Mexidol, which is a derivative of both 3-hydroxypyridine and succinic acid, decreased MAO-A activity by 13% and MAO-B activity by 4% (p < 0.05 in both cases). The 2-ethyl-3-methyl-3-hydroxypyridinium cation and the succinate anion were antagonists in terms of their MAO-modulating actions. Combining these antagonist ions into the structure of Mexidol led to complete loss of the MAO-stimulating effect of the succinate part and a significant reduction in the MAO-inhibiting action of the 3-hydroxypyridine component.

What's this reversible/irreversible jazz?

Reversible or irreversible binding to monoamine oxidase - two types of MAOIs mechanisms.

Either way it doesn’t really matter, separate them by an absolute minimum of 2 weeks, probably longer just to be on the safe side

Irreversible means the effect is permanent or what? You say drugs either are or aren't MAOIs but it says there the composition of Mexidol led to a "significant reduction in the MAO-inhibiting action" of the Mexidol prototype. I get the impression the drug is still a meowy but a weak one. What do you think?

Okay so I am curious what the fuck a meowy is lol.

As far as irreversible, it binds the enzyme permanently so it won’t be effective until your body produces more of the enzyme which takes time.

Reversible is competitive inhibition that can be reversed by increasing substrate or the drug unbinding from the substrate. Inhibition length can last a long time even though the drug half life isn’t that long.

It’s been a long time since I really read up on these topics but in reality it’s probably not enough inhibition to present a life or death risk. That said, I still would never advise attempting it.

meowy = MAOI. :)

But since it's inevitable for the body to produce the enzyme then the effect is practically permanent right? The maoi never leaves your body?
A bad trip is enough to deter me, let alone a death risk so should I just avoid Mexidol altogether?
While we're at it, are any of these risky?
Adaptol (Mebicar)
Anaprilin (Propranolol)
Mexidol
Pantogam Active
Picamilon
Selank (I already took this one but I ran out)

No it takes about 2 weeks for your body to replace the enzyme.

You can use them, just not together if it’s an MAOI but I can’t speak to all of those as I haven’t read enough literature.

Given the low potency of those meds, you may not die quickly, and you may not even die at all, but the potency of MDMA will be increased together with its neurotoxicity and risk for serotonin syndrome and seizures.
There are no studies or even anecdotal experiences on the MDMA+Russky MAOI combo AFAIK, please do not be the lab rat.
You may die, suffer permanent brain damage, go into delirium, have seizures, or there is a small chance you will not.
Don't try it.
If you do go ahead, which you shouldn't, don't you dare take a full dose, your chances will be greater on a very low dose, like 50mg or less.
You may still die, and you should not do it, but it will possibly increase your chances, impossible to know by how much.
If you do it, don't do it alone and be in a place where an ambulance can get to you quickly.
But seriously, DO NOT DO IT.

Last edited:
I appreciate the concern for my wellbeing Phobos, thanks. I won't do it together with any MAOI, but are you saying I still face these risks even if I roll say 2 weeks later as suggested by Swim15?

There are no studies or even anecdotal experiences on the MDMA+Russky MAOI combo AFAIK, please do not be the lab rat.
Hah, one bluelight user candyflipped with Afobazole which made me write that Russian drug off. I wonder if it's stronger or milder meowy than Mexidol.

You can use them, just not together if it’s an MAOI but I can’t speak to all of those as I haven’t read enough literature.

If I abstain from a potential MAOI for 2 weeks, you think the anxiety would come back? If it does, I resist the urge to roll because the comeup would fuck me up.

I appreciate the concern for my wellbeing Phobos, thanks. I won't do it together with any MAOI, but are you saying I still face these risks even if I roll say 2 weeks later as suggested by Swim15?

Hah, one bluelight user candyflipped with Afobazole which made me write that Russian drug off. I wonder if it's stronger or milder meowy than Mexidol.

If I abstain from a potential MAOI for 2 weeks, you think the anxiety would come back? If it does, I resist the urge to roll because the comeup would fuck me up.

The thing is, there are "suicidal" MAOI, that when they bind with a MAO molecule, they do so irreversibly, and that molecule is gone forever, so the number of MAOs in your body is lowered by each dose.
Your body tries to catch up, and will produce new ones, but it takes about 2 weeks from the last dose to have a normal level.
Then there are reversible MAOIs, that will temporarily bind to and deactivate a MAO molecule, and then let it go, so some time after last dose all the MAOs that were blocked are free to work as normal.

How did the Afobazole candyflip go?

The thing is, there are "suicidal" MAOI, that when they bind with a MAO molecule, they do so irreversibly, and that molecule is gone forever, so the number of MAOs in your body is lowered by each dose.
Your body tries to catch up, and will produce new ones, but it takes about 2 weeks from the last dose to have a normal level.
Then there are reversible MAOIs, that will temporarily bind to and deactivate a MAO molecule, and then let it go, so some time after last dose all the MAOs that were blocked are free to work as normal.

I see. Thanks for the info. I won't do this but just a technical question, would candyflipping with a maoi and a low dose mdma (say 50mg) amplify only the negative effects of mdma or the positive ones too?

How did the Afobazole candyflip go?

I see. Thanks for the info. I won't do this but just a technical question, would candyflipping with a maoi and a low dose mdma (say 50mg) amplify only the negative effects of mdma or the positive ones too?

I used too mix St. John's Wort with MDMA and speed, but would always approach serotoninergic syndrome, almost dying from it three times. It's not fun to have your brain cooked on >40°C.

I used too mix St. John's Wort with MDMA and speed, but would always approach serotoninergic syndrome, almost dying from it three times. It's not fun to have your brain cooked on >40°C.

What was the mdma dose? My social worker recommended St. John's Wort to me once but I chose 5-HTP over that.

What was the mdma dose? My social worker recommended St. John's Wort to me once but I chose 5-HTP over that.
5-HTP over MAOIs anytime. About the dosage, I can't really say since I've been snorting it throughout the night, but a gram went away in about 6 hours.

Fucking hell you're insane. Never ever snort or dab it. Don't know how you take 1 gram and survive, 1/4 of that almost gave me a heart attack once.

Fucking hell you're insane. Never ever snort or dab it. Don't know how you take 1 gram and survive, 1/4 of that almost gave me a heart attack once.

This lol.

is your comeup that bad? I’ve had one out of all my rolls where I had an incredibly bad anxiety attack and thought I was going to die for about 5-10min. But even then, I’d still say rolling is well worth going through that imo. Especially when you know logically you won’t die from a 150mg, or whatever, dose.

You don't understand, if I don't get past the comeup, the roll doesn't happen at all, only negative effects. A mod on here recommended to abstain entirely until I get the anxiety under control.

What do you mean get past it? After you take it your going to experience thr comeup no matter what...