• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about benzo withdrawal

In my experience, withdrawal symptoms like seizures are very rare and shouldn't occur unless you're taking huge doses. That being said, always be careful and try not to go cold turkey if you don't have to.
A seizure can occure when you are not wd-ing.

I had one 12 hours after 1/2 liter 35%. A sleepless night, no food and no fluid's. I had Alcohol and Benzo's around when it happened. But if you are in seizure territory in my case you are actually to late to be able to take a benzo or have drink.

My blood alcohol was 0 at the time it happened. Age is a factor that contributes to the risk, at least that is what I think.

Cannot answer the Doxylamine question. But from a pure logical point of view: based on your post you're not using for recreational purposes so have you tried to just stop taking your meds. and see what happens? If not and you're worried: then why not try? You may not suffer anything at all. And if you do: benzos. (well: Alprozalam for sure) kick in real fast so then you just take your dose and then explore options. Just a suggestion. Unless I'm not "getting it" of course. I was forced as in had no option BUT to go 48 hours cold turkey on a 12mg per day Alprozalam addiction (in a previous life). Didn't take more than a half hour (at best) after renewing my prescription and life was back to "normal" (at the time). Unless you're talking about your anxiety and panic attacks as opposed to withdrawal symptoms? Then I don't know.
I'm talking about withdrawal symptoms, I'll try not taking any today and see what happens.

I've heard Klonopin is fine to taper from, but then from the Ashton Manual it says Valium is a better choice. I guess if you've been taking Xanax for a long time in high doses, a combination of both Klonopin and Valium might make the taper easier at the start, but at the end of the taper Valium is obviously the superior choice. I'd say either K-pin of Valium would work, but Valium is said to be superior. I am not sure why because I've heard K-pin lasts a long time and has more potent effects - and my experience with Rivotril (which is generic K-pin) it's the only benzo that I've found to come anywhere close to barbiturates like Nembutal.

Good to read you ok.

My seizure started actually with me acting real weird 12 hours before it happened. Acted not like myself.

After the sleepless night the light was strange. My mother assured me there was nothing abnormal with the light. Still felt of not having a clue about what was about to happen.

Sat down, reached for something on the ground. Noticed my balance was gone and went head first. My mother found me on the ground foaming from the mouth. And after I regained conciousness, of which I have no recollection, I got violent and acted weird.

The actual cause was unknown, probably the combo of everything including stressfull personal circumstances. It was def not just Alcohol/ Benzo WD alone.

I kicked booze and benzos in jail, good times.
I begged the doctor for something, even gave my pharmacy info but nope i was out in 45 days and he didn't care.
I was only binge drinking then so it wasn't the booze
My 3rd night my cell mates were woken by me flopping in the bed, one knew it was a seizure and called the guards they did nothing.
The next day was rough, i saw the doctor again and he did nothing.
I was on them 10 or so years before that at 3mg a day and after my 45 days i still didn't feel right.
I'm still on 2mg a day and never going to jail again.
Be careful because out of everything benzo withdrawal scared me.

My outside doctor said its usually people proned to seizures or on a high dose or for years.
Just try not to overthink it and if you don't need them therapeutically don't touch them

Hello.

Well you replied to my post well past twelve hours having past. Sorry about the feeling blue (I know it's never any consolation but I know how you feel i.e. always a shitty feeling and comes and goes). Nice to hear you're not feeling sick though. Well done to you for trying though. See how long you can go without if you feel like it? May put your mind at ease. And, well, like I said: if it gets to the point where something uncomfortable happens or starts to happen then just dose and you'll be fine and nothing lost and no shame in that. And then you can go from there (and should it come to that there's no shortage of people who will be supportive and try help).

Not poking my nose in your business (just so that you know). Just trying to help if it's acceptable. I've just never been a big fan of trying to get off of ONE thing by starting to use something else. I realize of course that sometimes that's just not possible (from what I gather particularly true with opiates). But if it's not necessary: then what's the point (is my take on things) unless there is a REAL risk of withdrawal causing some type of major or permanent harm. Nice to see you're being responsible about all of this though i.e. most people (including myself some long time ago) couldn't be arsed and, well, that's when you end up in uncomfortable situations.

And for what it's worth: if you decide to continue for a little while longer with the experiment but keep feeling blue then just post on here or chat. It's what's kept me sane (although some may well disagree with my use of the word "sane" while others probably WISH I had something better to do! Lol!). Point is: it takes your mind off of things to begin with. And there's some pretty amusing threads around that are bound to make you smile too.
Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it, one of my problems that caused my anxiety is that I feel like I’m never good enough for anything, work, people nothing. I just got a new job and already I’m feeling like I’m being judged, I don’t have a college degree and most of my coworkers do, and I’m thinking they’re looking down on me for it. So the anxiety begins.

Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it, one of my problems that caused my anxiety is that I feel like I’m never good enough for anything, work, people nothing. I just got a new job and already I’m feeling like I’m being judged, I don’t have a college degree and most of my coworkers do, and I’m thinking they’re looking down on me for it. So the anxiety begins.

You should actually feel quite accomplished knowing you can do the job they needed college for.
I would definitely feel envy if a colleague didn't need the teaching i did and I bet a few of yours feels the same

You should actually feel quite accomplished knowing you can do the job they needed college for.
I would definitely feel envy if a colleague didn't need the teaching i did and I bet a few of yours feels the same
I have 30 yrs experience in my field, and I feel some of them already do feel envy, because they had to get degrees and go to top colleges like Rutgers.

Hey.

It’s my pleasure. It really is. And hope whatever has been said has helped even if just a little.

I agree with all that @Kara Kava (feisty as she is from what I gather! Lol!) has said. Every last post of hers.

For what it’s worth:

I have a little experience in life and over the years. And I can tell you that without exception: there is no substitute at all for experience. I had to do my degree part time (that was so long ago it may as well have been in a previous lifetime). People like me were looked down upon because we were not “spoiled” enough to have the privilege of being able to go to university full time and to be able to complete the degree in a far shorter period of time. Without exception: when those full time graduates had their backsides dumped in real work they didn’t have a clue as to how things worked in the real world of business. If something didn’t appear exactly as it had been taught in a textbook: they floundered and couldn’t function. And us mere mortals had to hold their hands. Of course: just for coming to the firm WITH a degree they got paid more right from the get go (which obviously pissed us mere mortals off at times). But that’s how things work unfortunately. And in having my own businesses from time to time and once or twice having to employ somebody with experience vs. somebody with an impressive CV and a whole list of courses to their name: those with experience always took preference hands down. And I was never wrong (tried, tested, proven).

So at the end of the day do not be embarrassed or sell yourself short or feel that you don’t measure up to them. Because without even knowing you or your field: I’d be prepared to put money on it that you do a better job. So let them envy you all they want i.e. chances are their envy is seated in exactly what I have said here. And they know it too. <3
Very grateful for a person like you, here on the forum helping people and making people feel better, you have lifted my blueness away.:)

If I take Xanax every day with multiple doses In a day, I will have withdrawals after just a week. I went 3 weeks of daily abuse and the week after I couldn’t sleep for 5 days and felt like I was going insane... benzo withdrawal is the worst..

I've been taking benzos for about 6 years Valium, xanax & Rivotril. More recently midazolam, halcion, brotizolam,nitrazepam and a one two others..
I haven't missed one days dose in about 5 years, but planning to taper & detox over the next year.

If i come off them and get clean, how long could i take a valium for before becoming dependant again?

Iv been mentally addicted to diazepam/temazepam/nitrazepam on off since 94 and never had any physical withdrawals even after four months daily use . There were times I felt as if my brain was actually going to explode and up to five nights with zero sleep but never had the seizures some people do get so I reckon every single person is different and recommend speaking with some kind of healthcare professional before making any jump

The Kindling Effect is a really important consideration for you. If you've been previously dependent upon Benzodiazepines, you will find each successive dependency to come on faster and produce a more intense withdrawal syndrome.
Totally agree. Don't ever think that you got through it easy the first time, so the second time shouldn't be a problem either. Each withdrawal after another period of abuse goes up like a Richter Scale. You'll never become a pro at withdrawing from benzos. The dragon just gets bigger and nastier each time.

No small measures with you that's for sure i.e. that's quite the cocktail of Benzodiazepines let me tell you! Lol!

And six years: that's a pretty long time so this ain't something that's going to be taken care of and nipped in the bud within a few days I assure you. You're probably looking at weeks, probably months, and maybe even a year or more before you're clean (unless you wish to end up being REAL uncomfortable and very sick and putting yourself at serious risk by going cold turkey or tapering too quickly).

As for how long you could take Valium again before coming dependent again: I cannot answer that. I can tell you this though (and this based on very recent personal experience): once you've built up a tolerance to these things (which you will most definitely have done by now) then when you start taking them again the tolerance seems to return WAY much sooner than when you started taking them in the first place. Note of course that there's a difference between tolerance and physical addiction (although the argument could be made that once you've built up a tolerance you already have a dependence or physical addiction)

Any chance you could simply taper off the entire lot and stay off permanently? Just a thought. Problem with benzos. (as wonderful drugs as they may be) they do not solve underlying issues or problems. They simply mask them while you're taking them. They don't cure anything. And in some cases e.g. anxiety they can even eventually magnify the underlying causes for taking them in the first place or result in something called "rebound anxiety" i.e. the anxiety returns in spades once you're off of them.

As I try tell everyone though: it's different for all. And there's no race to try and get off these things as quickly as possible i.e. there's no prize at the finish line for having had the quickest taper than anyone else. And there's no shame in drawing out your taper for a longer and more palatable and safer tapering period than the next person.

I'm not sure how much or how little you know about these little wonders but below is a link to everything you could possible want to know. They even have their own forums on the topic. As for all the information contained on the site: what you're really looking for is a document known as "The Ashton Manual". It describes different benzo. equivalent dosages, methods of and timetables for tapering, half life of the different benzos., etc. etc. etc. The information can be a bit overwhelming (or uninteresting if it's not your thing in life to know everything there is to know about Benzodiazepines) so "The Ashton Manual" is the shortcut really.

THE RESOURCE SITE FOR INVOLUNTARY BENZODIAZEPINE TRANQUILLISER ADDICTION, WITHDRAWAL & RECOVERY

THE ASHTON MANUAL - BENZODIAZEPINES: HOW THEY WORK AND HOW TO WITHDRAW

As I note time and time again though: I'm no big fan of changing from one benzo. to another to ease the taper. But that's just me and based on personal experience. It's not for me to question the Professor. And in a case like yours: I'm not quite sure where you'd start either and substitution during taper may be necessary (as opposed to it being an option).

If it's any consolation: there's people around here that have been on various benzo. cocktails for TWENTY years and have successfully tapered and not relapsed and from what I gather would never go near the things again even if you paid them to do it!

Tell me about it! I need to stop mixing so many different benzo groups
No small measures with you that's for sure i.e. that's quite the cocktail of Benzodiazepines let me tell you! Lol!

And six years: that's a pretty long time so this ain't something that's going to be taken care of and nipped in the bud within a few days I assure you. You're probably looking at weeks, probably months, and maybe even a year or more before you're clean (unless you wish to end up being REAL uncomfortable and very sick and putting yourself at serious risk by going cold turkey or tapering too quickly).

As for how long you could take Valium again before coming dependent again: I cannot answer that. I can tell you this though (and this based on very recent personal experience): once you've built up a tolerance to these things (which you will most definitely have done by now) then when you start taking them again the tolerance seems to return WAY much sooner than when you started taking them in the first place. Note of course that there's a difference between tolerance and physical addiction (although the argument could be made that once you've built up a tolerance you already have a dependence or physical addiction)

Any chance you could simply taper off the entire lot and stay off permanently? Just a thought. Problem with benzos. (as wonderful drugs as they may be) they do not solve underlying issues or problems. They simply mask them while you're taking them. They don't cure anything. And in some cases e.g. anxiety they can even eventually magnify the underlying causes for taking them in the first place or result in something called "rebound anxiety" i.e. the anxiety returns in spades once you're off of them.

As I try tell everyone though: it's different for all. And there's no race to try and get off these things as quickly as possible i.e. there's no prize at the finish line for having had the quickest taper than anyone else. And there's no shame in drawing out your taper for a longer and more palatable and safer tapering period than the next person.

I'm not sure how much or how little you know about these little wonders but below is a link to everything you could possible want to know. They even have their own forums on the topic. As for all the information contained on the site: what you're really looking for is a document known as "The Ashton Manual". It describes different benzo. equivalent dosages, methods of and timetables for tapering, half life of the different benzos., etc. etc. etc. The information can be a bit overwhelming (or uninteresting if it's not your thing in life to know everything there is to know about Benzodiazepines) so "The Ashton Manual" is the shortcut really.

THE RESOURCE SITE FOR INVOLUNTARY BENZODIAZEPINE TRANQUILLISER ADDICTION, WITHDRAWAL & RECOVERY

THE ASHTON MANUAL - BENZODIAZEPINES: HOW THEY WORK AND HOW TO WITHDRAW

As I note time and time again though: I'm no big fan of changing from one benzo. to another to ease the taper. But that's just me and based on personal experience. It's not for me to question the Professor. And in a case like yours: I'm not quite sure where you'd start either and substitution during taper may be necessary (as opposed to it being an option).

If it's any consolation: there's people around here that have been on various benzo. cocktails for TWENTY years and have successfully tapered and not relapsed and from what I gather would never go near the things again even if you paid them to do it!

That's for sure! I need to stick to one benzo, two max.

Oh I know, it's going to take maybe a year of tapering and detoxing to get off these tabs. To add to the mix I'm on Methadone and i'm beginning to taper off 80mg so that's also about a year before off that! I defiantly don't want to come off the benzo's quickly, slow taper, either on Valium or Rivotril. Long half life benzos.

I came off opiates before and once off them a year i relapsed. Within 2, 3 days max, in row of using it was like i was back to day 1. Withdrawals and sickness all over again.

That's the plan. I want to get off them with a slooww taper and stay off but it will take a while. I have to tackle the Opioids first. Addiction is a bitch tho, I hope to be in a good space to stay off them in the future. I know they are like a band-aid and the rebound anxiety will be a killer.

I know about the Aston method and have skimmed over it. It seems the best option for taper off these benzos. I love learning all about half lives, metabolism and equivalency etc.. so that's right up my street. I'll be studying Dr.Aston's manual while tapering off methadone to figure out which route to go. I should have calmed down on the 5+ types of benzos i'm on right now by then. Thanks for the links! :)

I'd start by dropping off the strong benzos (midazolam, brotizolam etc..) think getting down to Rivotril or Valium only and switching the Halcion for a Z-Drug maybe. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your detailed response and hopefully in the future I can say I'm Benzo free and get back in touch with you!

On average between 3 days and 3 weeks to experience SOME withdrawal. Some people (a small minority) actually experience I've had grand mal seizures caused by benzodiazepine withdrawal twice and both times I'd been using them for 3 or 4 months at moderately high doses this
This is an old thread just coming back to it. But I had a grand mal seizure as well in October of 2018 and like I said at the time I was abusing Kratom and Xanax and the benzos I was eating 8 mg like 3 or 4 times a week for a solid 6 or 7 months roughly (hard to remember being 3 years ago). I took from this thread it wasn't the kratom and likely the benzos, although when researching kratom it does list that seizures could happen. Given the knowledge of this thread I ruled out the kratom and quit benzos and continued eating kratom to this day. But I'm suspecting that I may start to have some digestive and liver issues with kratom as my urine color changes sometimes and I feel burning sensations in my stomach or intestines. I likely have to give this up as well.