• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about benzo withdrawal

weatherman69

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how long of benzo abuse it takes to become physically dependent and run the risks of severe withdrawals such as a seizure.

A mean it’s radically subjective, but the amount you’ve been taking is a big factor for sure. I agree every day for a fortnight is a good rough benchmark. But I think it’s important to understand what you consider to be abuse?

A mean it’s radically subjective, but the amount you’ve been taking is a big factor for sure. I agree every day for a fortnight is a good rough benchmark. But I think it’s important to understand what you consider to be abuse?
Just 2 tablets a night for 3 straight nights.

I've been taking Alprazolam and Clonazepam (mostly Clonazepam) on and off for 2 months, my last dose of Clonazepam was 4 days ago and I feel fine. It really depends on the person taking it.

The longer acting benzos tend to have lesser WDs and they're easier to quit. Thats why doctors put u on a Diazepam (or sometimes Clonazepam) taper if ur addicted to Alprazolam.

I've been taking Alprazolam and Clonazepam (mostly Clonazepam) on and off for 2 months, my last dose of Clonazepam was 4 days ago and I feel fine. It really depends on the person taking it.

The longer acting benzos tend to have lesser WDs and they're easier to quit. Thats why doctors put u on a Diazepam (or sometimes Clonazepam) taper if ur addicted to Alprazolam.
I've been

Good to know, alprazolam I was abusing illegally for a year on and off and that lead to my seizure. People on bluelight here were able to help me pin point that and the doctors didnt connect the dots they just kept running MRI tests on my brain and lungs.

My latest stint has been with lorazapem and it's not very smart of me to do that but was just curious if I were to quit cold turkey today I would be ok?

Hard to say, i was on clonazepam for 4 months a few years ago and stopped cold Turkey and didn't feel any withdrawal

It depends on dosage, length of time taking it (or how often u take it), and you as a person. Those three points will dictate whether you'll get benzo WDs or not. Benzos are for temporary use or occasional use only and for a very good reason too! Full blown benzo WD is a serious condition and can be fatal, it pisses all over opioid WDs hands down! Trust me I've been through both.

In my experience, withdrawal symptoms like seizures are very rare and shouldn't occur unless you're taking huge doses. That being said, always be careful and try not to go cold turkey if you don't have to.

What can you take to lessen the withdrawal symptoms? A friend of mine told me doxylamine helps to ease off the symptoms.

Is this true?

The Kindling Effect is a really important consideration for you. If you've been previously dependent upon Benzodiazepines, you will find each successive dependency to come on faster and produce a more intense withdrawal syndrome.

Yeah if you take them for a week or two even you will feel something. Your underlying health will determine all. If you seizure prone and ate a ton in 2 weeks, it is certainly possible. Your prior opiate / alcohol dependence will also matter. I felt my 1st benzo withdrawal only after a week of using. But was also using opiates with them. Realized that day while the world was spinning out in withdrawal I was hooked. Got off several times, but not really. They change your brain fast.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how long of benzo abuse it takes to become physically dependent and run the risks of severe withdrawals such as a seizure.

On average between 3 days and 3 weeks to experience SOME withdrawal. Some people (a small minority) actually experience I've had grand mal seizures caused by benzodiazepine withdrawal twice and both times I'd been using them for 3 or 4 months at moderately high doses

The Kindling Effect is a really important consideration for you. If you've been previously dependent upon Benzodiazepines, you will find each successive dependency to come on faster and produce a more intense withdrawal syndrome.

Having been dependant on benzos for years, and tapered off successfully - about a month or so of abuse of etizolam gave me seizures. Months later, a week of xanax (high dose) did the same.

3 years later, I've only dabbled with diazepam and would never binge anymore.

It can be fairly long time in my experience. I’ve abused large doses of benzos but I’ve never taken them continuously past 3 weeks and I’ve never had any withdrawal symptoms besides insomnia and anxiety.

When I say large doses I mean killing 1,000 mg of Etizolam in a 14-21 day period fill of black outs and amnesia.

I could be a rare case though. Also once you do experience withdrawals you’re much more likely to have them again, etc.

The best way to take benzos and not experience WDs is take them infrequently (on/off) and occasionally, thats what I do and I never get WDs.

I take my meds for anxiety and panic attacks, I'm not on a high dosage, reason I asked about the doxylamine is if I want to skip a few days of not taking my meds so I don't get hooked on them, would doxylamine ease any symptoms?