• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

purifying/refining resin?

It's still gonna be nasty unless you do some serious lab grade refining. There's actually very little THC in pipe resin, people have sent it into labs for curiosity...

lol that is funny and fascinating at the same time. What sort of percentage is "very little"? just out of curiosity would never personally try it lol

lol that is funny and fascinating at the same time. What sort of percentage is "very little"? just out of curiosity would never personally try it lol

Actually it was a little higher than I remember (12% THC in this test), it's important to remember that the other 80% is basically tar and other nasty shit, instead of terpenes and organic compounds the first time you smoked it.

And I'd assume this guy had pretty good weed since he runs a testing lab:
http://mcrlabs.com/blog/resin-results/

interesting article.. that is actually really high imho, a lot more than what I was expecting. I'm sure he was more than likely smoking some really good buds to make that resin, but still tested high none the less, higher than some bud will test.

It may be worth performing an extraction on after all, if there was a simple and inexpensive way to remove all the unwanted garbage.

As in so many things....GIGO. You cannot turn pipe goo into fine smoke. There is no alchemy.
Correction, pipe "goo" going from its phase into a gas phase is a physical change or "phase change" is what you are referring to. Therefore no chemistry and certainly no alchemy.

Correction, pipe "goo" going from its phase into a gas phase is a physical change or "phase change" is what you are referring to. Therefore no chemistry and certainly no alchemy.

You remind me of the kind of people on youtube, who correct people's grammar.

The guy's on about the fact that you can't turn resin into decent chronic. Like you can't take standard metals and turn them into gold. Dude isn't literally calling any kind of process of refining resin, 'alchemy'.

My method: I pour rubbing alcohol into my bowl. I cover all the holes and shake like crazy. I then have a small pipe cleaner that I use to scrape the sides and help the resin dissolve into the alcohol. From here I shake some more and then pour it into a glass pie dish. From here I set it in front of a fan and let it dry, usually takes four hours, unless I set it on my radiatior, then it might take 30 minutes. What's left is a sheet of nice, sticky resin that can be easily scraped up with a razor blade.
I personally don't filter my resin since the solid pieces are generally not-fully-burnt weed and can help mellow out the harsh smoke made by the oily resin. Plus it makes it a little less sticky.
I have been doing this for years and I would not choose a different way. Very easy and by far the most efficient way of cleaning and collecting resin.

It's still gonna be nasty unless you do some serious lab grade refining. There's actually very little THC in pipe resin, people have sent it into labs for curiosity...
Let's think about this, other than the dark black solid chunks that are from bits of weed that fell through the hole, the oily, stick, yellow-brown stuff is just residue from the smoke passing through the pipe. That means it is just a condensed version of the stuff that you are inhaling. Does that smoke you inhale have THC in it? Yes? Then the oily, condensed version of that smoke (still chemically identical to the smoke) contains THC. Furthermore, the left overs of a combustion reaction are mostly gases and water. In this case, combustion of weed turns THCA into THC. Since THC is an oil and does not evaporate, that means there is technically more THC in resin than in the smoke you are inhaling. Although this does not mean your resin is stronger than your plain, fresh, unburnt weed, because it certainly is not.
Another thing to think about, I am not saying that you magically make more THC, but technically resin itself has a higher concentration of THC (by weight)in it than fresh bud. This is mostly because fresh bud contains THCA, which has broken down into THC through heat. Although once the THCA in the fresh weed is broken down, it will contain more THC than the resin. But TECHNICALLY resin has more THC than fresh bud.

let's think a little more about this and consider how THC oxidizes in air and is known to be extremely unstable as active THC rather than THCA

I get what you are saying but one thing you are not considering is that you are burning the residue from a previous combustion. It's definitely not the same thing as smoking it the first time. Yeah, some of the same stuff is there but that doesn't mean there isn't other stuff, or a build up of one specific chemical. To assume that all chemicals in the smoke would stick to the pipe in even amounts seems hopeful to me.

Also, how to do the remains of the first combustion react to heat being applied to them again? If you want my approval to smoke it, you have it but I'd still rather not smoke then smoke resin, refined or not.

One of these days I may have to try to do this just to see if I can prove you guys wrong. I have a shit ton, probably approaching 70 roaches, that I am going to try to refine into BHO but I think that is going to be much easier then refining resin. The problem with destructive distillation (the process of burning and condensing the burnt vapors) is it creates a lot of tars by breaking things down into alkanes. Selectively removing the alkanes and who knows how any other products of combustion will probably take a fair amount of doing, i dont see why it should be labeled impossible. It would be a lot easier if THC would form water soluble salts :(

I am almost sure i can do it with roaches because i can remove a lot of the resins and impurities by removing the burnt and blunt bits, from there i think its a matter of making a crude BHO through a standard method. This will most likely yield some kind of black nasty goo and from there its a matter of dissolving said nasty goo in a solvent and hopefully either systematically removing its components or just spinning it fast and making it separate... I have a lot more time, energy, and equipment after quitting dope. But it probably wont be for a while because it may need a centrifuge, which is cheaper then you may think ;)

One of these days I may have to try to do this just to see if I can prove you guys wrong. I have a shit ton, probably approaching 70 roaches, that I am going to try to refine into BHO but I think that is going to be much easier then refining resin. The problem with destructive distillation (the process of burning and condensing the burnt vapors) is it creates a lot of tars by breaking things down into alkanes. Selectively removing the alkanes and who knows how any other products of combustion will probably take a fair amount of doing, i dont see why it should be labeled impossible. It would be a lot easier if THC would form water soluble salts :(

I am almost sure i can do it with roaches because i can remove a lot of the resins and impurities by removing the burnt and blunt bits, from there i think its a matter of making a crude BHO through a standard method. This will most likely yield some kind of black nasty goo and from there its a matter of dissolving said nasty goo in a solvent and hopefully either systematically removing its components or just spinning it fast and making it separate... I have a lot more time, energy, and equipment after quitting dope. But it probably wont be for a while because it may need a centrifuge, which is cheaper then you may think ;)

I actually think it'd be more worthwhile to try and "purify" a metric fuckton of roaches than it would be to try to do the same with straight up bong tar.

I get what you are saying but one thing you are not considering is that you are burning the residue from a previous combustion. It's definitely not the same thing as smoking it the first time. Yeah, some of the same stuff is there but that doesn't mean there isn't other stuff, or a build up of one specific chemical. To assume that all chemicals in the smoke would stick to the pipe in even amounts seems hopeful to me

I guess that's true. The leftovers of a combustion reaction are carbon, gases, water, and in this case tars. Since all but the tars will disperse into the atmosphere, then the resin really would be heavier on the tar concentration than the smoke that created it. So I was wrong in saying resin and the smoke that made it are technically identical.
But I still find resin to be worth while. It's one of those things that's nice when your trying to save money but sucks when you have no money and its your only option.
I like it when I choose to smoke it, not when it's all I have to smoke.

I actually think it'd be more worthwhile to try and "purify" a metric fuckton of roaches than it would be to try to do the same with straight up bong tar.

Worth while and occupying ones time are two completely different things, as occupying my time is the goal if it takes 3 hours it satisfies the goal and is worthwhile to do. Especially if the solvents and equipment exists and is ridiculously cheap/free. Plus you start with micro scale first so time is really the only thing being exchanged for the experience. Then lets assume the experience does lead to a way to make resin into a way better extract, maybe not the experiment i will base future careers on... but with the medical marijuana industrial becoming legal that may yield access to insane amounts of resin and roaches through recycling programs. LOL my major contribution to humanity, Dr. Z's resin and roach recycling "Dr Z Tri-R corp." (resin & roach recycling)

Worth while and occupying ones time are two completely different things, as occupying my time is the goal if it takes 3 hours it satisfies the goal and is worthwhile to do.

Well, yeah, I get what you mean and it's a good point.

I just meant that, with regard to a recreational cannabis habit, I view bong tar as completely worthless goo, that's all. At least roaches have a few redeeming qualities to them.

lemme know when Dr Z Tri-R corp is hiring, bro.

I like the idea of purifying roaches. I know I waste a lot of herb when I toss roaches. with the exception of being coated in resin from all the smoke passing through it and being heat exposure, it is still good bud. Seems to preserve longer than regular plant would just sitting out.

I guess that's true. The leftovers of a combustion reaction are carbon, gases, water, and in this case tars. Since all but the tars will disperse into the atmosphere, then the resin really would be heavier on the tar concentration than the smoke that created it. So I was wrong in saying resin and the smoke that made it are technically identical.
But I still find resin to be worth while. It's one of those things that's nice when your trying to save money but sucks when you have no money and its your only option.
I like it when I choose to smoke it, not when it's all I have to smoke.
I agree that for most it would make a lot of sense to make use of the THC and other cannabinoids inside resin from smoke. I don't like the headache and what not that I get from smoking it though. Makes me wonder about what I'm actually smoking. It would be really cool if there was a way to isolate just the cannabinoids and remove the waste.

My method: I pour rubbing alcohol into my bowl. I cover all the holes and shake like crazy. I then have a small pipe cleaner that I use to scrape the sides and help the resin dissolve into the alcohol. From here I shake some more and then pour it into a glass pie dish. From here I set it in front of a fan and let it dry, usually takes four hours, unless I set it on my radiatior, then it might take 30 minutes. What's left is a sheet of nice, sticky resin that can be easily scraped up with a razor blade.
I personally don't filter my resin since the solid pieces are generally not-fully-burnt weed and can help mellow out the harsh smoke made by the oily resin. Plus it makes it a little less sticky.
I have been doing this for years and I would not choose a different way. Very easy and by far the most efficient way of cleaning and collecting resin.

I am pretty sure by filtering you wouldn't lose much if any of the thc. I would think it would be similar to performing an iso extraction of regular bud.

I am pretty sure by filtering you wouldn't lose much if any of the thc. I would think it would be similar to performing an iso extraction of regular bud.

That is a good point, but I still find that the extra plant matter helps to smooth out the harsh tarish oily smoke. I guess this just boils down to personal preference.
That being said filtering out the extra stuff will provide you with a denser, more concentrated end product, hopefully with the THC from any unburnt weed like you said. Even with the harsher smoke, you would have to smoke less so this could be seen as an upside. Another point of personal preference though.