• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

purifying/refining resin?

rollinlonely

Bluelighter
i was thinking of dissolving resin in isopropyl then straining it through cloth, would that be worth doing with large amounts of resin?

That sounds like as good an idea as putting your dick in a blender. Seriously go find some more weed. you at like its crack

Here's what you do.

You don't have to use buds, you can use all the stems and shake.

Get a coffee can, put all your stems/buds/shake in there. and saturate it enough with isopropyl 99.9 % pure. (never seen 100 % ). Now put the lid on it and just tip it upside and back about 20 or 30 times.

Now, get a hot plate, and a stainless steel frying pan. Oh yeah, you're gonna need cheese cloth too. now you'll wanna put the cheese cloth in the frying pan, and dump your mash in there make sure the liquid goes through the cloth to avoid any lumpy stemy shit in your liquid after.

Now wrap your mashy stuff up with the cheese cloth and strain the hell out of it by twisting the cloth as hard as you can letting it all drip in to the pan. You can even run a little more alcohol through it to make sure you got all the resin out of the cloth even. Every little bit counts.

Now BE FUCKING CAREFUL!!! NO OPEN FLAMES. Start on low heat, and slowly heat off the isopropyl. OH... Good ventilation is a must! or you will get dizzy. You'll know when it's all heated off, becuase it will be rather syrop like. While it's still warm, pour in to a baby food jar, or something glass. Let it cool.

Spread it on your papers with bud or tobacoo and you'll be smoking your home made hash oil.

Hope that helped.. I'm pretty stoned as I wrote that.

Last edited:
Here's what you do.

You don't have to use buds, you can use all the stems and shake.

Get a coffee can, put all your stems/buds/shake in there. and saturate it enough with isopropyl 99.9 % pure. (never seen 100 % ). Now put the lid on it and just tip it upside and back about 20 or 30 times.

Now, get a hot plate, and a stainless steel frying pan. Oh yeah, you're gonna need cheese cloth too. now you'll wanna put the cheese cloth in the frying pan, and dump your mash in there make sure the liquid goes through the cloth to avoid any lumpy stemy shit in your liquid after.

Now wrap your mashy stuff up with the cheese cloth and strain the hell out of it by twisting the cloth as hard as you can letting it all drip in to the pan. You can even run a little more alcohol through it to make sure you got all the resin out of the cloth even. Every little bit counts.

Now BE FUCKING CAREFUL!!! NO OPEN FLAMES. Start on low heat, and slowly heat off the isopropyl. OH... Good ventilation is a must! or you will get dizzy. You'll know when it's all heated off, becuase it will be rather syrop like. While it's still warm, pour in to a baby food jar, or something glass. Let it cool.

Spread it on your papers with bud or tobacoo and you'll be smoking your home made hash oil.

Hope that helped.. I'm pretty stoned as I wrote that.

thanks. ive never seen higher than 90% iso, 95% grain

ive never seen higher than 90% iso, 95% grain.
Ethanol and iso both form azeotropes with water at high concentrations, meaning that they can be no longer purified through simple distillation. Getting all the water out is a pain in the arse.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know at the local Canadian Tire stores we have here, you can get this other shit, might even be ethanol, but it's 99.9% also, and completely cooks off.

That sounds like as good an idea as putting your dick in a blender. Seriously go find some more weed. you at like its crack

Oh come on, it's not that bad. But to answer your question, yeah I see now reason why it wouldn't be somewhat practical for large quantities. And definitely get the 91%. After you've filtered it all off, pour into a pan and evaporate the liquid. Either over low heat(NO FLAME), or if you're patient just let it sit out. Alcohol evaporates pretty fast so it shouldn't take more than a day, two tops unless you're really talking a shitload as long as its in something that gives it lots of surface area.

rollin,

hi. i did that the other day. just don't overuse the ISO. that was my mistake. it finally evaporated yesterday (i was too afraid to heat it on the stove. all i have is an open flame range.)

i let the goopy black stuff from my bowl dissolve in ISO (91% ) in one of those 4" x 8" x 1" rectangular rubbermaid/tupperware plates. after a few hours and some stirring, i filtered the liquid through a jelly strainer and returned the liquid to the tupperware container. i then propped one side of the container up about an inch to let the liquid run to one corner. there, after two more days (about 4 total), the ISO evaporated and left this dark brown/amber-ish goop stuck to the bottom corner of the container. the consistency is almost like a thick oil.

i dipped a piece of bud in last night and popped it in my glass bowl. it worked. it was much stronger than the normal "resin/tar" high you get from just scrapin' and smokin' or just pullin on the bowl without anything in the reservoir.

now, since most of my friends just clean their pieces with ISO and throw away the grime, i'm going to start cleaning their bowls and taking the excess with me to make more Pipe-Tar Oil. PIPE TAR HASH RULES!!!

i'm so glad you started this thread. i was going to do the same the other day but i just searched for "ISO" and "SCRAPE" in the same line. good information nonetheless.

As in so many things....GIGO. You cannot turn pipe goo into fine smoke. There is no alchemy.

To refine pipe resin:

You could try a NON-POLAR EXTRACTION: cannabinoids are non-polar compounds, therefore the best way to isolate them is using a non-polar solvent. This would remove a large amount of crap that polar solvents pick up.

What this means:

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME EXTRACTING CANNABINOIDS WITH ISOPROPANOL, ETHANOL, ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER POLAR SOLVENT - CANNABINOIDS ARE NON-POLAR COMPOUNDS.

This is why THC extracts easily into butter and vegetable oil.

My guess is you'll still end up with a shitty goo, but it will be significantly less shitty and considerably more potent.

Last edited:
To refine pipe resin:

You could try a NON-POLAR EXTRACTION: cannabinoids are non-polar compounds, therefore the best way to isolate them is using a non-polar solvent. This would remove a large amount of crap that polar solvents pick up.

What this means:

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME EXTRACTING CANNABINOIDS WITH ISOPROPANOL, ETHANOL, ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER POLAR SOLVENT - CANNABINOIDS ARE NON-POLAR COMPOUNDS.

This is why THC extracts easily into butter and vegetable oil.

My guess is you'll still end up with a shitty goo, but it will be significantly less shitty and considerably more potent.

Does this mean that the best thing to do is to put the resin in vegetable oil/butter and put it together on the stove throw away the leftover goop and use the oil to make edibles?

It's still gonna be nasty unless you do some serious lab grade refining. There's actually very little THC in pipe resin, people have sent it into labs for curiosity...

Are you referring to trichomes or resin from a pipe?

tumblr_lt02gyjm9M1r4vc5no1_250.gif

resin from a pipe

giphy.gif