• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Public toking methods

CrypticArc

Bluelighter
What's your preferred method of smoking weed in public places? I don't mean crowded places or anything, but for example, a parking lot. The best way I've found is to use those one-hitters disguised as a cigarette, and to avoid looking like you lit your cig 5 times in the past minute, use a torch lighter because they have a much dimmer flame. Vape pens that vape dry herb are also good for this. It's also good to save some strong-smelling gum to chew and keep your paraphernalia in sealed plastic bags, just in case.

For public bathrooms, I've got a method that works wonders. All you need is a straw. first of all, take your hit, insert your straw down the drain of the sink (or out of a window), cover the other holes in the drain and blow your smoke down. Puff some clean air down the drain, then pour some soap down and run hot water for a minute after you're done. I've done this in school without getting caught before. Also, the pocket cans of spray deodorant work well for covering your smell. Another method is to spray a bunch of air freshener into a grocery bag, and exhale into the bag when you're done, taking care to contain the smoke for at least a minute or two until the smell begins to fade in favor of your air freshener's scent. This has also worked for me in school bathrooms.

Disclaimer: For all you ganja ninjas, smoking in public is dangerous, and regardless of precautions taken you've always got a good chance of getting noticed. If you're gonna fuck around at least know the dangers.

So, anyone have any creative ideas about smoking in public that I neglected to mention? C'mon, I know you guys have that stoner ingenuity we're so famous for %)

Okay, back in the day smoking weed in public was my modus operandi.

Hot boxing the car and then moving away quickly when done. I've hot boxed a car in a parking lot full of tailgaters for a Dave Mathews concert while police were walking around the parking lot. We just got out the car and walked away. If the police caught the smell all they would have found was an empty car with people who weren't us partying all around it. They'd be too busy to worry about identifying the car and prosecuting we who weren't there.

Keep only what you plan on smoking on you and then find a spot away from the crowd where you could pitch the roach or joint if approached by authorities. If you can't find a secluded spot, smoke and walk at the same time, it keeps the scent moving and thinning out rather than building up in one location. Also while walking you can keep your eyes focused on spotting potential threats. It's also easy to just drop the roach and walk away like it ain't no thang.

Smoke rises, so if you are on high ground then the smoke will float away and the people below you are unlikely to smell much of anything. A friend of mine used to climb on top of the police station across from my high school and smoke weed, he never got caught. He also climbed on top of our indoor tennis warehouse and was seen by the maintenance guys, he jumped off onto someone's Benz and fucked it up nicely before running away without getting caught haha.

Smoke in alleyways or behind buildings or such. If people can't see you, often times they won't really be perturbed if they smell a little weed in a public area.

Smoke tobacco simultaneously. It helps a little to blur people's senses as to whether they are actually smelling weed. It doesn't work that effectively, but if you are being corned by authorities and you pitch the roach but keep a cig burning then at least you have an excuse for the smoke. I've never found 50/50 spliffs to help with the smell all to much, but a 25% weed 75% tobacco spliff is smoked then it tends to help a fair amount.

I've found that as long as your car is moving at a decent rate of speed on a main road or highway, you are in the clear to smoke and drive. I will not however condone smoking weed and driving; some people driver better while burnt and others drive the same while burnt and others drive worse while burnt.

I'll end with a funny story from high school. 3 friends and I drove across the river in Hartford to pick up a bit of weed from another friend. On our way back I was driving my brand new SUV and my friend rolled a blunt so we smoked on the highway back over the river. As we got into Hartford we finished the blunt and I told my friend to pitch the roach, he said he took care of it. A few minutes later it started smelling really smoky, but I was smoking a cigarette so I shrugged it off. The smell started so much worse so I looked in the rear view mirror and saw flames in my trunk area. I yelled at my friends in the second row and told them to look back and one of them shrieked and screamed there were flames. I stated that I knew a floored the car towards the next exit. I ran the red at the end of the ramp into a mostly empty gigantic parking lot. I parked and jumped out opening my trunk to find my few hundred dollar blazer and two towels I used for sports on fire. I threw them onto the ground and started stomping them out as nothing in my car appeared to have taken any damage or remained on fire. So I'm stomping out the fire for a few seconds when I look across the parking lot and see a police car with it's running lights on at an angle so they could definitely see me if they were paying attention. I took no chances since we still had weed and paraphernalia on us; jumped back in the car leaving the burning clothing behind still flaming in the parking lot and drove the fuck away as fast as I could into deep hartford where we would have been difficult. We were all stressed so we smoked more weed and ate all the food. The End.

That is how not to smoke in public, I suppose we can learn from my tom foolery.

A couple times I used the exhaust fan in my work bathroom to carry the smoke+smell away. It was very effective

TL;DR

I hold the joint/rollie in a way that the public can only see that I'm smoking something but "what" it is, is simply up to their imagination. Other than that public smoking here is sorta normal. Only time it's hard is in clubs and parties. Unless you stuff your cigarettes then the security will always know who's smoking, take your weed and throw you out.

I've never liked smoking joints when I'm trying to be discrete.
The trail smoke always sticks to everything. EVERYTHING. Skin, hair, cloths.. no matter how careful I've tried to be, I can never finish a session with a joint without smelling it all over myself. Pipes seemed to work best in that regard. I'm starting to think that a portable vaporizer would be the absolute best way to go about it. Perhaps even indoors at clubs if you're ballsy enough.
My stationary vape can easily be toke upon in my room without care and not stink up the place. It's also great for getting high before work since I know no one will smell it on me and red eye is diminished/neutralized since there is no smoke irritation from vaporizing.

When just rolling around, me and a friend find a quiet street and hotbox there. As he gets pretty paranoid, we move at the first sign of possible trouble, meaning we've never gotten caught or even had a close call. You can vape anywhere if your vape is small and inconspicuous enough.

I never smoke in public without the cover of very late night or at least a car protecting me

I'm starting to think that a portable vaporizer would be the absolute best way to go about it. Perhaps even indoors at clubs if you're ballsy enough.

Maybe if it's small like the Pax or the new arizer air or whatever then yeah but a proper portable vape will be detected in clubs. Unless you don't get searched with a metal detector n shit.

It's also great for getting high before work since I know no one will smell it on me and red eye is diminished/neutralized since there is no smoke irritation from vaporizing.

Red eye? I highly doubt that has anything to do with smoke irritation. Your eyes turn read because THC is a vasodilator and thus causing the blood vessels in your eyes to widen which gives it the red colour.

When I rip my Arizer Solo my eyes turn red lol.

Ever since I switched to vaping; my eyes haven't been red from getting high. *shrug* the smoke irritation is the only thing I can think of that would make that much difference. It could be somthing else, idk.. but I never get dry, red, irritated stoner eyes anymore ;)

And how many clubs use metal detector? ?? I don't really go to bars so I don't know much about the scene
I just figured you could tuck it up your sleeve with just the tube sticking out to take a hit. I mean, even just the 10 seconds it's out of your pocket people wouldn't notice I'm sure. And you could have it back in your pocket before you even exhale the vapour.

If you are outside, just roll a joint and smoke it like you would a cigarette, or smoke out of a tobacco pipe. Most people will not even notice, and even if someone suspects or knows, they likely will not do anything - because it is widely accepted, if not legal yet.

I used to experiment with this often. Sometimes being as brazen as to pull out my glass piece in random social places and smoke in the open. That said, I live in an area where weed is not legal, yet simple possession (actually I believe it is up to a qp now) is a simple violation.

Now that I live in California... joints in traffic, joints in the streets, bring a rig+torch if I'll be out all day

I either roll a joint and smoke it like a cig or get a cig tube from a friend and use it without a filter. When i was younger.....have bong will travel. Id pull out my foot tall acrylic and have a session in the closest "cool" spot i saw.

lol just yesterday i was walking in front of the police station (smth like it) at 7pm or so and this dude asks me for a light, i hand him over a lighter and see the dude pulling a fucking bomb joint... "a mans gotta get high man"

fuck the police

As other people posted just smoke joints, out of one hitters, or a small pipe.

I've seen and know a lot of people who smoke blunts in public places but I've never smoked a blunt, and don't want to. I haven't used cannabis in years but be careful where you smoke in public and who you do it with. I knew people who would go to places that were really risky and blaze in public as though herb was legal and they got arrested for it.

Last edited:
When I was travelling and basically living out of my car I'd often go into a random grocery store, steal a piece of fruit (usually an apple) and make a pipe out of it using a pencil, LOL

^Now, if you were to steal a piece of fruit and proceed to widdle a pipe and toke in the produce section, that would be something!

IME, you can get away with it. In general, people are too oblivious or just do not care... or may just be amused by it ;)

Roll it straight into normal sized papers like it was just a roll-up ciggy and mix some baccy in there to disguise the smell a bit and help keep it burning more like a normal cig. TIf you're in the smoking area of a club or whatever then even if you can smell it in the air it won't matter since there will be so many people out there smoking close to you it will be very difficult to pin it down to a single person if it looks like you've just got a normal cig rather than a kingsize in your hand %)

Otherwise if you're just out and about as long as you keep moving the smell won't follow you so it should be fine, you could also hold it on the inside of your hand so its not obviously visible to anyone looking the size/shape of the roll when you're smoking it, and dont take massive drags on it since it will make way more smoke than is normal for tobacco.

Hi, I am new to the site and I saw this thread when I searched for vaporizing.

To toke publicly the issue isn't as much how it appears if someone looks but rather where the smoke will go if you're using combustion methods. If there is no wind it could linger and people in the parking lot or in nearby businesses may smell it. If it happens to be some kind of self righteous parents with kids or a restaurant with people then I'd not do that.

Use one of the vaporizers either for dry herbs or ones that can be filled with oil.
Third option is if one of your local dispensaries is good they may have a disposable pre filled "e-cig" with oil concentrate in it already.

I own a Magic Flight Launch Box. Owned it for over two years now. Nothing broken and still works perfectly. You'll only need to get replacement rechargeable AA batteries, or save more money , but the rechargeable batteries and make your own batteries that came with the vaporizer (you basically need to strip the outside costing of the battery).
This one is designed for a pinch of dry herbs. Often you won't even see visible vapor unless you heat it up long. But the main point is that it works well as described. It is is very small, made of wood, a plastic see through cover and metal coils and a trench. Very good small vaporizer. Only possible problem is that someone who is next to you could still smell the vaped flowers.

2nd and in my opinion best option is to get a vape pen designed specifically for liquid extract from the herb. When you use that there is pretty much no recognizable smell even.

Third option is a disosable vape pen made for this exact purpose. I purchased one at a dispensary in my big city. They look like a no brand ghetto e-cig, but they're very good.

The packaging for it was black with some yellow color paper folded into a mini box, like any e-cig. They mark them whether it is indica sativa or a hybrid. Online people write and showed pictures of stickers on these e-cigs that said specific strains which I suppose is good if they're not lying. The e-cig itself is black color and of length of regular cigarette. The dispensary person said it has about 40+ hits. And indeed it had about that many and each hit was pretty strong per my estimate from how much visible vapor was exhaled.

The battery was fully charged and did last as promised but when I and my dad opened it to see how it's made we saw that there was a decent amount of juice left. You could always scoop it out for extra use if you had the time.

I suppose your nicotine vaporizer has all sorts off handy dandy attachments but for me I am willing to swallow a lit blunt to not go to jail so I smoke wherever the fuck I want within reason.

My best advice is to not act guilty or smell up your car by smoking in it.