PsyTrance Discussion and Stuff ver. III

Status
Not open for further replies.
psycosynthesis said:
Infected used to rock. They now think they rawk. They're coked up and deluded and in no way do they make PSYCHEDELIC music...while their current tunes (and Dali's and Psynina's etc) may fall intro the genre of psytrance, it doesn't necessarily mean that the music they produce (or have produced for them, in Dali's case) is psychedelic in any way, shape or form.

Yeah- see the problem I've got there is that by saying their "coked up" which you CAN'T know and "deluded", which you also can't know- anyway, those things have NOTHING to do with music. So what do you mean there? I think Infected Mushroom IS psychedelic; it has all the same elements; rolling basslines, acid lines, weird-vocal bending, glitchy bits- yet its not psychedelic? Is it that the people in the band, by simply trying to sell their music to as wider a audience as possible, aren't psychedelic? I don't get that really....

Kindzadza- Waves From Inner Space was voted no 1 album on Isratrance. Ironic in a way really.

Each to their own though, if you have as much fun seeing a recent Infected Mushroom show as I did seeing Kindzadza live, then good for you. As long as we're all happy at the end of the day! :)

Of course! I caught the Tribedelic afterparty- Kindzadza baboom- absolutely stunningly grand. I also can't wait to see Infected ina few weeks. :)

Are you going to Maitreya? Anyone?

^Okay, so those comments were a bit mis-placed. Fair enough if they want to reach a wider audience...but it seems to me that they are forsaking their roots in order to make dollars...and by coked up I mean the last time I saw them live, they seemed to be more interested in strutting around and pumping their hands in the air than playing? (Could be said for alot of live acts though, electronic or otherwise). Of course I can't know for sure that they are coked up and deluded...I was just having a rant. I really just don't like their new stuff and wanted to bitch about it... Seems a universe apart from B.P and The Gathering etc...just my two cents. As far as the music goes, compared to the aforementioned albums, it doesn't seem as mind-bending/warping/whatever...

That being said, I can respect their decision to progress in their music, and to make some serious dollars...I just sort of wish they hadn't. That's pretty selfish of me though. So I withdraw my ranting comments. I probably hadn't had a caffeine dose for a while when I wrote it!

As far as Maitreya goes, I am slightly annoyed at the lack of information the promoters have given on Oztrance, on flyers/posters and the like. I'm only really interested in catching Dick Trevors morning set (Heard AMD-Bigfish? Fucking killer morning stuff, I'm loving it), Atmos and Antix. Saw Cosmosis a year or two back and wasn't that impressed. Another old school act that has turned stale I reckon. I don't know what locals are playing, if Tetrameth/Shadow FX/Decoy/Spoonbill etc were playing I would probably go. For the time being I am leaning towards saving some money and being in a straight mindframe for the start of uni this year.

As far as Maitreya goes, I am slightly annoyed at the lack of information the promoters have given on Oztrance, on flyers/posters and the like. I'm only really interested in catching Dick Trevors morning set (Heard AMD-Bigfish? Fucking killer morning stuff, I'm loving it), Atmos and Antix. Saw Cosmosis a year or two back and wasn't that impressed. Another old school act that has turned stale I reckon. I don't know what locals are playing, if Tetrameth/Shadow FX/Decoy/Spoonbill etc were playing I would probably go. For the time being I am leaning towards saving some money and being in a straight mindframe for the start of uni this year.

Yeah, the line up just doesn't seem all that great eh. Cosmosis is beyond bad now I fink....

I agree, IM are probably coked up; meh, I probably would be too were I them. :)

Thanks a million jillion to the posts I read about "Electric Universe"....!!!! I am in love yet again with a new flame...Great additions to my mind traveling music :) I "purchased" a large collection, 5 albums, and have been on it since ~7:45. It's incredible right now since my "dinner" is about 90% baked...w00t! %)

Decoy-Push Button Pony is incredible. Whoever said they've eclipsed their efforts on Not Responding to Light is right on the money...every time I see them live they sound better as well. I see a bright future for these guys.

OTT's latest is great, from what I've heard of it so far. Been getting into Greens Nuns too, old school acid laden mayhem.

Seeing Tom COSM next weekend as well, if I can throw off this fucking cold.

swilow said:
See, thats just naive I think. Psytrance is DANCE music; yar, its got the psychedelic prefix but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with spirituality. I don't see any connection between psy and the Spirit. The movement- is non-existent. People like dancing to phat beats in the bush, taking strong hallucingens, perhaps mixing with lemons (I saw your pic Ruski- tops!! :)) camping and chilling with friends....its not a religion and after noticing some of the more culty parties being thrown (Raelians for fxors sake) I opted out by and large. What psy trance is, is a FORMULA for producers, not musicians, to follow- the truly stand out artists are usually musicians, not just producers and they don't sound like everyone else.

Sorry psyghost, but what you said I don't agree with; the term elitist being thrown around is silly, particulalry when you go on to make a rather obnoxious connection between vocals in trance and the death of 'the movement'. Now that sort of comment really is elitiist. :\

You hide behind illusions if you fail to see the movement in the original goa sound. Dancing, spirituality, hallucinogens, having fun, all interconnected. The music can be profound on a personal level. Filling up the clubs and event centers with people on alcohol or hallucinogens to sell the image is not cause of the music. Don't say the music isn't spiritual. Don't say the music isn't political. Those are the reasons why I DJ. These are the reasons why I listen to goa trance.

You take away the essence of the music and you are left with a sterile mold. I'm not trying to go to a party and get drunk or high and have a good time. Thats not my message, thats not what I'm trying to do. Its about getting people into the militant mind, to awaken, to inform, to rise up.

I wasn't throwing around the word elitist. It was thrown at me.

PsyGhost said:
You hide behind illusions if you fail to see the movement in the original goa sound. Dancing, spirituality, hallucinogens, having fun, all interconnected. The music can be profound on a personal level. Filling up the clubs and event centers with people on alcohol or hallucinogens to sell the image is not cause of the music. Don't say the music isn't spiritual. Don't say the music isn't political. Those are the reasons why I DJ. These are the reasons why I listen to goa trance.

Well, I think your tricking yourself a bit....I just love the music. I don't find it psychedelic whatever that means. I enjoy all of these- "Dancing, spirituality, hallucinogens, having fun" and I like using psychedelic drugs for a spiritual benefit; but saying that this music is 'political' leaves an AWFUL taste in my mouth.

If it is a movemment, what are the aims? Whats the motive? Whats the outcome? Why is it only for people who like electronic music?

You take away the essence of the music and you are left with a sterile mold. I'm not trying to go to a party and get drunk or high and have a good time. Thats not my message, thats not what I'm trying to do. Its about getting people into the militant mind, to awaken, to inform, to rise up.

Into a miltiant mind-??????? I hope your joking, the last thing music needs is people turning it into something it isn't; the moment that I perceive trance to be militant, I'll just start listening to the stuff that isn't. I don't get it- because playing someone elses music on some electrical equipment is revolutionary?

How does trance 'inform' and inspire people to 'rise up'? What will happen then- mass rioting? I don't understand what it is you think your doing when you play music here...

If you wanna change things, enjoy your parties for the fact that its fun being high and dancing in the bush with friends; then get back to reality and DO SOMETHING.

I wasn't throwing around the word elitist. It was thrown at me.

Fair enough, but while the post I'm responding to here isn't elitist, its exactly what I don't like. Psy/goa whatever you wanna call it has been in existence for almost twenty years and I can't see it having caused radical changes in society.

The idea of psytrance being entwined with any political movements or activism is silly. We aren't in the 60's anymore. It's purely hedonstic, albeit hedonism with a relative conciousness...thinking that you're changing the world by dropping a few tabs and listening to psy/goa or even playing/producing it is silly. Sure...you're making an impact on people, but in no way is that impact anything that could be considered to inspire 'militarism'. At least I hope not!

Remember...everyone knows "Fun Rules".

Just my opinion, but I tend to shirk alot of the psuedo-political/spiritual tripe that comes with the genre. "Cosmic activation and awareness", "Striving for change" "Activism"...to me these buzzwords and the paragraphs you find on flyers for parties or CD inserts seems to be more marketing than any tangible effort to alter the way things are. (Though when listenned to in the right frame of mind, plenty of tunes can SOUND altered...and that's why we do it, isn't it? ;)).

P.S Please don't be offended if you are doing something actively to attempt to change society. I just think that their are HEAPS better ways to do it than playing psy and preaching about it....sort of like that South Park Episode...

sp902_Die_Hippy_Die.jpg

Meh-skimo. Sick party, but Eskimo's stuff is not Psytrance. It was bordering on electro-house.

psycosynthesis said:
^Okay, so those comments were a bit mis-placed. Fair enough if they want to reach a wider audience...but it seems to me that they are forsaking their roots in order to make dollars...and by coked up I mean the last time I saw them live, they seemed to be more interested in strutting around and pumping their hands in the air than playing? (Could be said for alot of live acts though, electronic or otherwise). Of course I can't know for sure that they are coked up and deluded...I was just having a rant. I really just don't like their new stuff and wanted to bitch about it... Seems a universe apart from B.P and The Gathering etc...just my two cents. As far as the music goes, compared to the aforementioned albums, it doesn't seem as mind-bending/warping/whatever...

That being said, I can respect their decision to progress in their music, and to make some serious dollars...I just sort of wish they hadn't. That's pretty selfish of me though. So I withdraw my ranting comments. I probably hadn't had a caffeine dose for a while when I wrote it!

i saw AMD & Dick Trevor (missed Aphid Moon producing :() perform live last summer...it was awesome! i think you'll really enjoy it.

Remember...everyone knows "Fun Rules".

+23 :)

Decoy-Push Button Pony is incredible. Whoever said they've eclipsed their efforts on Not Responding to Light is right on the money...every time I see them live they sound better as well. I see a bright future for these guys.

Push Button Pony is a great album for sure....much better then Not Responding, which got boring quickly and didn't reflect the dynamic nature of Decoy live. Axis Mundi is a beaitful piece, nice modulated saxophone nd wistful feeling to it....I've been seeing these guys live for about 5 years now and finally their releases are as good as their live show! Oh yeah, not going to Maitreya, needs to save money and brain power for Uni :(

Dalfir, right on about Eskimo; he's a pretty good producer' has some nice sonic tricks, but his songs have lost it. I didn't mind Balloonatic vol 1 and some other relases before that; he did a good song with Ozzy and Fractal Glider (Liqud in other words) and I quite liked one of the Talameskimo songs (To Be Continued maybe) but he's just crap now. IMO....

Cheers for the link to Ektoplasm whomever that was, grabbing an album now for my smoke and sleep session soon to come. :)

That ekotplasm place has some wicked stuff on there guys....:)

^No idea, but I'd love to find out too, that sounds fucking crazy....can you PM the rest of the track too me pleasey pleasey?? :)

Beenhead pointed me in the direction of Insane Creation and I think they're really good. Their album FileStyle is on the net and I'd be happy to send people the details if they PM me!

This weekend - Scorb, Warp Technique (you need to hear these guys), Green Nuns(!), Ace Ventura, NSE, Bass Clef, Slackbaba, Rastaliens, Tron vs Beatnik and much more...

I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.