View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

psytrance and DMT

PsychedelicDoctor

Bluelighter
I posted this on the Electronic board but there's no drug discussion there. Considering the use of the deemster theme throughout psytrance, I have a real tough time combining the two. Whenever I have tried, the music feels anxiogenic and the experience gripping/uneasy. Does anyone enjoy the two together? Next time I blast off, I'll try something significantly more ambient.

Yeah, I find the association between psytrance and DMT a little wierd as well. So much of the flyer art and decor is based on DMT visuals. Well, I guess if anyone likes psychedelics, it's psytrancers.

Anyway, I only ever smoke to psybient like Ott or silence. I tried smoking a fairly small amount one time when I was in bed listening to psytrance, and I ended up in a rave in hyperspace where all the entities were dancing around between dimensions. It was interesting, but not exactly profound. (I don't remember what I was listening to, maybe Prometheus or some random progressive stuff).

I find that the two combine very well; especially certain tracks, I do choose with care which track to listen to while doing DMT. Some of the newer work of Psykovsky (which is dark psy trance) goes very well with DMT, especially the tracks on 'Na Ve Ka' (look them up :D), but then again I also listen to tekno and acid core while smoking DMT and I find that to work pretty well too. I'm mostly for choosing something that suits your normal music taste when sober ánd has the right mood to it.

I'm not crazy about most dark psy. I listened to it mostly when i was using dissociatives. Loved me some Kindzadza and Derango, though that's something else entirely. It's too all over the place normally; I can't even comprehend what that would be like while smoking DMT. I listen to that techtrance sound the most, full-on and Goa too. Anyway, i think I need to experiment with more fragile organic textures and leave EDM for those experiences all together. It's too bad. I was really excited to listen to the psy I love in that state but it just isn't working out.

I love psytrance in almost any state of mind, buuut I have found that psytrance and DMT are not the best combo. Shpongle is my favorite with DMT.

I love psytrance in almost any state of mind, buuut I have found that psytrance and DMT are not the best combo. Shpongle is my favorite with DMT.

Haha exactly the same with me. Psytrance is just a tad too stressful but Shpongle is perfect for that experience :)

Grateful dead with DMT has been awesome each time. Broke through each time. First time i did it with scarlet begonias, the second with sugar mag. The sugar mag one was cool because i started the song, broke through, and came back during sunshine daydream with my friend spinning and dancing in front of me and then she hugged me, it was awesome. I was on her couch.

Grateful dead with DMT has been awesome each time. Broke through each time. First time i did it with scarlet begonias, the second with sugar mag. The sugar mag one was cool because i started the song, broke through, and came back during sunshine daydream with my friend spinning and dancing in front of me and then she hugged me, it was awesome. I was on her couch.

that sounds sweet :) I have one experience on high dose 4-Aco-DMT listening to a lengthy Sugaree from '77 that just totally melting my heart and soul, and brought me to tears from the shear beauty of it all. I should ahve gone straight for the Dead, I'm not sure what I was thinking really.

+1 for shpongle. But 1 thing I notice with it is that it seems to direct the trip instead of your brain just tripping if you know what I mean. Both are very pleasant though

Maybe psy-trance is just a bit too busy for the DMT headspace? I have yet to try this stuff but I do get how some drugs combine strangely with music.

I'm big into music & have been all my adult life. One of the reasons I was drawn to weed first & later to hallucinogens/stimulants/entactogens was because of my interest in music.

Nowadays however I find myself tripping without music 90% of the time & I havent really worked out why. Sometime it's coz we trip outdoors, normally during the day in a park or forest. But even on night trips at home I/we rarely listen to music. If I do listen to music tripping it has to be something very light (some gentle Eno?) or something wierd but deeply familiar. Tripping & listening to Black Sabbath, for instance, may not suit everyone Lol

MDMA & it's buddy's are fine with busy dance music but any slightly heavy tripping is a bit much with trance music or fast dance music.

Well, I dunno what I've added to this thread but hey, I tried okay!? Lol

OP, I agree - psytrance seems too hectic for DMT. 4-HO-DMT? Perfect. I've never listened to Shpongle whilst DMTing, I'd imagine it works a treat though. I was lucky enough to see Shpongle live for my 21st; my first non-D&B/ Dubstep electronic live music, also my first candyflip :D

I'm not really into psytrance as a genre but trance-type rhythms do help me take off on dmt, so I guess I can see the connection. The right music is always my way to a breakthrough -- I've visualized it as the musician running ahead of me building a path to the stars with sound.

i don't like music on DMT at all. it might just be the way i've always done it, but i find anything but silence too distracting, or confusing.

last time i had DMT i heard some really amazing music floating around - it was sort of like dub. i would surely have missed this beautiful auditory hallucination if i'd been listening to (real) music.

Last edited:
Last time I did DMT, it was 30mg vaped with Dubstep in the background (not by my choice).

I definitely will not smoke DMT with dubstep in the background again. Oh man... that was... intense.

I recently just was reintroduced to deemsters after about 12 years and have never listened to music on it before. Psytrance is probably my most listened to genre but I have feeling it wouldn’t be a right fit for me. I totally see how Shpongle would be a great fit and I have a feeling that dub techno would work wonderfully. I’ll test it out and let you know how it goes 👽

Weirdly necro'd thread... I guess...

I can't even hear music while on DMT until I start coming down. It doesn't really matter what I'm listening to, however when I realize I can hear music I know I'm coming down. It's really comforting in a way and when I could hear the music again I always had a fat smirk on my face. But again, I listened to all sorts of shit on DMT and never really had a preference because I couldn't really even understand what's coming into my ears until about 10 minutes lol. I really liked Tool and stoner/space rock with DMT, though, if I had to pick. I particularly remember one trip where I was coming down and could hear Tool- Third Eye start BLARING into my ears on the heavy part. Was like holy fucking shit.... I'M ALIVE!!!!! good times

I tend to stick with psytrance with shrooms. Specifically, Shpongle is my all time favorite Shroom music. With DMT, however, I've lately been listening to The Polish Ambassador & The Diplomatic Scandal - Land of the Lush. This album is just the absolute perfect synergy with DMT for me.

Honestly psychs intensify feelings about music. I used to love listening to death metal while tripping because I liked it sober. I used to love shpongle while tripping, but now I think I would rather listen to music that is psychadelic without shouting it at you.

Also drugs that cause ego death or out of body type experiences really warp music so it is honestly a very situational assessment.