View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychosis. Help

virgofaerie

Greenlighter
My bf has just gotten back from college. He had told me he tripped on mushrooms on the Monday before he came home. (He got back Friday) He was acting normal when he got home and i was with him until Saturday morning. Around noon he started acting strange. He would not stop pacing and speaking to himself. He was hallucinating and in a manic state. We had to bring him to the hospital because there was no talking any sense into him. He finally told us he had not slept in 5 days. His toxicology report had cocaine-opiates-marijuana-mushrooms on it. The hospital gave him one dose of a sleeping aid and sent him home. He slept last night and woke up acting more normal. All day today (this is 6 days after his trip) he had been acting more normal but started in a manic state again around 9 o'clock at night and i do not believe he has gone back to sleep. It seems as if he has brain damage that has altered his sense of reality. I have experienced a bad trip on mushrooms before and his behaviour is similar to that. Except mine only lasted the duration of the trip. It has been almost a week and he is still experiencing it. Is this psychosis permanent?

If anyone knows what the next steps should be… I just want him healthy and back to normal, and back to reality.

It sounds to me that it is sleep deprivation and/or (depending on the dose and frequency of his cocaine intake) stimulant psychosis. Those two together can make a nasty mix. The mushrooms were far enough off in the past that it is less likely to be the culprit than the more obvious reasons I just stated, although its not possible to write them off completely. He needs sleep, and antipsychotics probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. A drug like quetiapine (brand name Seroquel) would be an ideal, since it has sedative and antipsychotic (both D2 and 5-HT2A antagonism) properties all rolled into one. It has also shown mood stablizing properties in its abilitiy to treat bipolar I successfully, so it may work to stablize his mental state even if a few different possible triggers are at the root of the problem. Try to get him assessed by a psychiatrist, and if possible get him prescribed some quetiapine.

Do you know if his family has a history of mental illness? If so, that is a red flag for psychedelics use being at the root of the issue.

Sounds like he's mentally ill - probably not anything to do with the drugs.

After I asked him about his toxicology reports, he told me he has only done cocaine three times and his usage was spread out. I only know he had smoked weed and took Vyvanse between the day he tripped and this weekend. On that Thursday he also had some sort of episode after he smoked, when he got in his car and drove for 70 miles until his car ran out of gas and someone had to come get him. He had no idea where he was going - just told his friends "the drugs controlled me bc i forgot to control them"

His mother does have anxiety (I only know because she is prescribed Xanax) but it is all I know of.

SeenSoFar gives very sensible advice.

Is he still taking drugs? Do you think he's taking more drugs that he's admitted to? Drugs will most likely bring him back into that state untill he gives his mind plenty of rest.

5 days of wakefulness can't be repaired by just one night sleep. if he rests and eats properly i would assume he would be all right in a couple of days. at least that's what my personal experiance has been

That may be true, but he doesn't seem to be able to either handle drugs or use them responsibly. These sound like far too many adverse reactions, though alternating between harder drugs just about every day and taking them far like that wouldn't help. I guess that is an integrated thing / consequence adding to the vicious cycle of not handling drugs adequately.
If you get episodes and incidents like this it is really time to consider what you are doing.

HE IS STILL USING!...duh.

addicts are liars...sounds like he's still doing coke to me.

Lol, *boyfriend railing lines of cocaine* "Musta been those mushrooms makin me crazy right??! RIGHT?!? Not the stimulants and opiates I've been poppin daily! Mwahahahah!"

My guess is he is probably still using drugs, and lying to you. Don't be too mad at him... he is probably a drug addict (as am I) and drug addicts lie about their use, it's part of the deal. Look for if he is disappearing or being secretive... even if he is going to the bathroom a lot, he may be doing coke or vyvanse or some sort of stimulant in there. My best guesses are one of the two:

1 - He is still using a stimulants, and the stimulants caused a temporary case of stimulant psychosis (which is in part caused by extreme lack of sleep)

2 - The psychedelics caused a temporary psychotic break, because he has something in him that is susceptible to that

So pay close attention and see if he seems to still be using drugs. If so, then address that. If not, then there may be something more serious at work here. His comment "the drugs controlled me because I forgot to control them" makes me think he's still doing drugs.

He confessed to us that he had done coke the Thursday before he came -which is why he got in the car and drove saying he was being "controlled". He is new to hard drugs which is why I feel he was not able to handle it. Psychedelics and weed are something he's experimented with before but I'm guessing his brain just cannot handle it anymore. This entire weekend his parents have had him on lockdown and monitored everywhere, even followed into the bathroom, and no car no phone. I am not saying this because I am his girlfriend, but it just seems close to impossible. He's had someone even sleeping in the bed with him. He will go hours at a time of acting more like his normal state then become manic again randomly. They are bringing him to a therapist today, so I guess we shall see what they say. Really feel there is some kind of brain damage or HPPD or cocaine induced psychosis or depersonalization which is not letting him distinguish reality from a dream. My worry is how permanent or reversible this is. I may sound ignorant, but I am just trying to get the best advise I can. I am not sure how to deal with it all. I am so afraid that he is gone off in this state and will never return.

He just needs to lay off the drugs for a while. Give him a full month without any drug use, and he will pretty much be back to normal. He might also suffering temporarily from flashbacks if he had a horrific trip just some days ago. It is really not smart of him to use cocaine shortly after his trip.

Trust me on this... he just has to have the willpower and strength to not do any kind of drugs again for a month and he will get better.

BTW: It's no surprise your BF was hallucinating after 5 days without sleep. I don't think this has anything to do with the acid/shrooms, but more with his cocaine abuse. It's more likely to get psychosis off cocaine abuse then occasional tripping.

Yes, I agree he needs to stop. In my opinion he should not touch anything again. But it's up to him and his willpower like you said. Thank you

tbh, if this doesn't get better soon, antipsychotics are in order. get him to a psychiatrist. a therapist won't be able to help him in that state. He doesn't have to take them for a very long time even...

He just needs to lay off the drugs for a while. Give him a full month without any drug use, and he will pretty much be back to normal. He might also suffering temporarily from flashbacks if he had a horrific trip just some days ago. It is really not smart of him to use cocaine shortly after his trip.

Trust me on this... he just has to have the willpower and strength to not do any kind of drugs again for a month and he will get better.

BTW: It's no surprise your BF was hallucinating after 5 days without sleep. I don't think this has anything to do with the acid/shrooms, but more with his cocaine abuse. It's more likely to get psychosis off cocaine abuse then occasional tripping.
You cannot exclude psychedelics done less than a month ago; besides the dosage being unknown, psychosis could be responsible for his insomnia.

Getting enough sleep and being around healthy people set out to help him are probably the best options. Based on similar situations I've experienced (not first-hand though): If he's getting enough sleep he will recover. After a few days it could be therapeutic for him to discuss and process his psychotic thoughts (ideally with a therapist but a good friend can also help a lot). It's important he recognize that his ideations were false and the result of lack of sleep/drug binge/possible latent mental illness. If he still worries or suspects his delusions were true, he can fall into the bad trip easily again.

I'd guess this is probably just an acute breakdown, if he went on a week-long binge near the end of the school year (did he finish finals? any other big changes in his behavior/school performance?) he may have just worked himself into a state of total mental exhaustion. Anyone can go crazy from high-stress/no sleep/mind-bending chemical romps.

Really good idea to stay well away from weed or any psychedelic drug or stimulant. But it's important that he want to do that for himself and not because he is being guarded by his family. Just because someone acts better around you, doesn't mean they aren't secretly having very paranoid thoughts.

My worry is how permanent or reversible this is. I may sound ignorant, but I am just trying to get the best advise I can. I am not sure how to deal with it all. I am so afraid that he is gone off in this state and will never return.
Drug induced psychosis is temporary and will resolve itself with discontinued use. He may have subtle changes.

My personal advice is to kind of go with the flow and turn this into a positive experience. Any damage is already done. As long as he understands it is all just a kind of hallucination he should ignore them and engage in positive self talk and fun activities. This is only going to take time and I would go with the flow until things resolve. Nothing is attacking him. He's not going mad. He just needs rest and time to heal.

Might be thinking the drugs are helping him. Schizophrenics counter-intuitively self-medicate using stimulants.

Last edited:
virgofaerie,
I agree it sounds like the stims and a mentality that will not willingly recover from a love affair with stims.
you must get your priorities straight, as the recovery may tend to follow further digression into the abyss,
and that may take far more time than you have.
let him know you have a life to live that is not going to be invested in by-standing
his response has to be dramatic and immediate
if not
cut and run.
you are worth more

virgofaerie,
I agree it sounds like the stims and a mentality that will not willingly recover from a love affair with stims.
you must get your priorities straight, as the recovery may tend to follow further digression into the abyss,
and that may take far more time than you have.
let him know you have a life to live that is not going to be invested in by-standing
his response has to be dramatic and immediate
if not
cut and run.
you are worth more
than him?