View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

psychedelics in the year 2050

hamhurricane

Bluelighter
"At the beginning of the 20th century, there were only two psychedelic compounds known to Western science: cannabis and mescaline. A little over 50 years later -- with LSD, psilocybin, psilocin, TMA, several compounds based on DMT and various other isomers -- the number was up to almost 20. By 2000, there were well over 200. So you see, the growth is exponential.'' When I asked [alexander Shulgin] whether that meant that by 2050 we'll be up to 2,000, he smiled and said, ''The way it's building up now, we may have well over that number.''
-new york times magazine

Here is a Shulgin quote saying that he predicts an exponential growth in psychedelic compounds, do you all believe this will happen? Do you think the quality will decrease or the DEA will decide to enforce pan-psychedelic prohibition laws to keep up?
What is on the forefront of psychedelic research right now?
What do you all guess the future will bring?

hamhurricane said:
or the DEA will decide to enforce pan-psychedelic prohibition laws to keep up?

Didnt they already do that ages ago? (something about chemical analogues of controlled chems?)

max_freakout said:
Didnt they already do that ages ago? (something about chemical analogues of controlled chems?)

I think he means a law that basically says if the drug in question produces a psychedelic effect, it would be considered illegal. As in, all psychedelics would be somehow illegal under law. The problem, of course, would be defining the "psychedelic effect" in legalese.

there are still many psychedelics that are legal, or semi-legal. what i wonder is how significant the new drugs could potentially be i know that there are a million new analogs always being made but im getting a little tired of 5-meo-mipt and all these psycilocybin analogs that have kind of bland results, bromo-dragon-fly seems to get mixed reviews most of the stuff i read about thats coming out reciently seems pretty uninteresting how long before the next LSD the next MDMA then next real breakthrough are people working on this sort of thing? completly new drugs not just analogs, what about synthetic salvinorin or muscimol becoming readily available what about ketamine DXM and PCP analogs, these things seem much more important than infinitly tweaking the mushroom and reinventing LSD

is shulgin right? are they growing exponentially?

HAhaha, I love it!

No psychedelic effects plz! DOES YOUR DRUG DO THE PSYCHEDELIC EFFECT OH NOSE!!111

I'm on a low dose of LSD right now, the law can kiss my ass!%)

I think there will be much research in the piperazine and quasi-phenethylamine benzo-difuran families. I also believe that several highly active diterpinoid salvinorin analogs (hopefully with lower potency and more comfortable effects) will hit the market. They are already being researched. There are also the oxazole and broad disassociative families.
The future of psychedelics is unlimited, and I cant wait to see what comes next!

my near to medium term future will involve custom tailored neuroligands produced and transported as required directly to the relevant receptor sites on an as-willed basis by dedicated and tireless teams of endogenous nanorobots.

under the federal analog act: allowing any chemical "substantially similar" to an illegal drug (in Schedule I or II) to be treated as if it were also in Schedule I, but only if it is intended for human consumption.

I would be very happy if ALD-52 was more researched. LSD analogs are all very exciting to me. The time will come when completely new chemicals are created that are *gasp* superior to our old LSD and Magic mushrooms

We'll all be taking mind-stimulating nanomachines on a space station dancing to the new sound of robot and blues and ghetto-funk-polka (abv. ghefulka).

only psychedelic besides mushrooms and LSD that i've tried was a DOx compound. I still get tracers from a 30 hour trip about 3 weeks ago. IMO i won't be fucking with anything but LSD, and when that isnt available ill stick to good old mushrooms. Ahhhh how i love my mushies.

I somehow doubt it. As ridiculous as the drug war is, the feds do manage to stifle just about psychedelic they really go after, with the exception of perhaps mushrooms and cactus. They have managed to crush the LSD trade quite nicely. You don't see a lot of 2C-B and 2C-T-7 around anymore do you?

Now they haven't been able to do that with other drugs, like heroin and coke, but that is because there is too great a demand. There is unlikely to be a high demand for things like 5-MeO-DMT and 2C-E. Most people, if they try it at all, try it once, then say "I'll never do that again."

If the laws are draconian enough, people just give up on it. It is not worth the effort of trying to invent and produce these substances if the penalties are too high.

As it stands, I predict the RC market will dry up permanently within the next few years. Everything is pointing in that direction. The only lucky few will be tight knit underground groups that have their own chemist in membership.

Drug Geek said:
I somehow doubt it. As ridiculous as the drug war is, the feds do manage to stifle just about psychedelic they really go after, with the exception of perhaps mushrooms and cactus. They have managed to crush the LSD trade quite nicely. You don't see a lot of 2C-B and 2C-T-7 around anymore do you?

Now they haven't been able to do that with other drugs, like heroin and coke, but that is because there is too great a demand. There is unlikely to be a high demand for things like 5-MeO-DMT and 2C-E. Most people, if they try it at all, try it once, then say "I'll never do that again."

If the laws are draconian enough, people just give up on it. It is not worth the effort of trying to invent and produce these substances if the penalties are too high.

As it stands, I predict the RC market will dry up permanently within the next few years. Everything is pointing in that direction. The only lucky few will be tight knit underground groups that have their own chemist in membership.

unfortunatly i think your right and that really depresses me
especially if shulgin is right and exponential growth is possible

Haha.

"Today the DEA has announced that any experience "mind manifesting" has become outlawed. Enjoy your books while you can, good night and good luck."

I dont think, but maybe only hope, that the trade in psychedelics will really dry up. I mean, you can still find 2c-B around. Overall there is quite a demand for psychedelic drugs and I am sure that at a least a few of the good ones will be finding thier ways around, as they happen to today.

as long as there's a virtually captive and self-replenishing population of test subjects perfectly willing to subject themselves to little-explored mind altering drugs - and pay through the nose for the privilege - followed by their detailed reports on same - rest assured, 'the spirit of research' shall be mostly unabated, notwithstanding even the legislative efforts, which for some odd reason lag ever so conveniently by a couple-few years, or until there are enough datapoints...

You assume mankind will make it to 2050,I'm not that sure.

And the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 anyway...

I'm unclear as to whether we'll make it to 2050. The world is poised to end in disaster very soon, IMO. Either that or something dramatic will happen that will redefine our race. The planet is in its death throes, although the effects are only just now becoming clear. We may already be past the point of no return.

Anyway, that's my opinion, not a fact!

I believe you picked 2050 as a random year in the future. So in regards to psychedelics in the future, generally, I predict that the scene will always be changing, but that it will remain intact as long as people are interested. I mean, who among your average person these days knows what the hell 2C-E or 5-MeO-MiPT or practically anything else is? Very few. The ones most people know are LSD and mushrooms, and only because of widespread coverage and availability for long periods of time.

Those of us in the Internet community these days are the ones who know about the entire "RC scene". A few have begun to spread to unlearned circles (like 2C-I, DOC, etc). Of course they'll continue to topple each drug one by one. Maybe they'll even invent a law somehow, someday, that covers every possible psychedelic chemical. But even today, things like 2C-T-7, 2C-B, LSD, etc etc are available if you know the right people/places. Yet they're illegal.

Last edited: