View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and depression

mb-909

Bluelighter
I have been suffering for years and have been trying to get better. In the past I was one of the happiest people around, but my depression changed everything. Sometimes I am able to be happy (for other I am the guy on drugs, even though thats not the case...).

I want to finally break through my endless spinning thought-cycles and I tried a lot, from mediation over psychotherapy. So I am really interrested in psychedelics, but the only available drug would be truffles, because everything else is not available or has to be shipped to my home address.

My interrest is mostly for the subconcious. I know that I am not the master of my controls and that I would be at best a student of the trip. Not knowing what your problem is makes me crazy and I want to change.

Are there any succesful stories with tripping alone + being depressive and what would be a good dose for a good mind trip?

have you tripped before?

being depressive can work in both ways IMO. It can help it or it can make it worse. It's all how you approach the psychedelic experience. Everything is a manifestation of the mind and what's hidden within you can be revealed and you may or my not like it.

My advice will be not to trip alone.

Not too sure about truffles as I've never done shrooms or truffles.

LSD made me realize that I was in control of my happiness though. I used to be depressed but I wouldn't say I ever tripped while depressed. When I was depressed, being around friends would make me happy and I never tripped on any psyches alone so I was always in a good mindset going in.

The thing is that I hate human beings. I respect everybody, but because of my depression I lost interrest in being human. At the moment I start to accept myself, with all my imperfection, but I still have trust issues with everybody. People were talking behind my back all the time, I thought my father wanted to rape me, all things which are not true. The only way I was able to break this cycle was, because I started to face my biggest fears and later I used MDMA, but I still don't know for sure what causes all these symptoms. I have trouble, because I have been depressive since the age of 14 and therefor I didn't learn to trust people and all other social aspects. I am openly and can discuss all my problems even with strangers, because there is no real difference between family, friends and strangers. At least in my experience I got most helpful support from strangers and not from my friends or family.

Edit: Nope, I have no experience with tripping. I had halluzinations through my depression, which are gone by now (faced the problems and accepted the pain), and I know that I don't have to fear the fear. Fear teaches you how good life can be and without fear or pain "happieness" gets meaningless.

Last edited:
Man I know how you feel. I hate human beings too. But what I realized is, fuck em. You don't gotta take em on at allllll. Legit. Just your family and friends. I got a lotta close friends that I trust and the ones I don't trust I don't hang with. It's as simple as that. You gotta know what you want from life. Makes no sense sitting in a bed full of sorrow feeling sorry for yourself cuz it is a waste of time.

I used to be depressed since I was 13, it wasn't until the age of 17 everything took a turn. During my years of doing pharms at 16-17 it made my understanding of myself cloudier and LSD and DXM repaired the damage I did. I was quite apathetic and had a lot of passive-aggression and mood swings.

Im also quite an open person to anybody because it has helped me to accept all my flaws as the people I surround myself with know practically everything about me. It wasn't until I started to open up to my family is when they started to give me good support to get out of the dark place.

I also realized through enlightening myself that there's so many things in life that can make us happy that isn't associated with drugs. Simple things like a family dinner/lunch, doesn't have to be with parents. Cousins or anything. Even friends. A simple meal can make me happy. Doing good things for people. etc,

there's so much out there for you man. For me. For all of us. You just gotta know what you want. And always remember being sullen is a waste of energy. Trust me I know what it feels like. Pain a funny thing when you can't figure out the source. I never knew why I was depressed. That was the catch. I believe it's because I didn't know how to be happy.

Hallucinogens made me realize what can easily make me happy. They've helped a lot and I don't recklessly binge on pharms anymore. I've grown to be more responsible.

Im only 18.

I wouldn't reccomend you do any psyches if you have mental illness tho. I've seen some of my friends lose themselves on the journey. You gotta be careful and if you do go ahead with tripping, don't do it alone.

Think of your experience with depression as a crisis situation; it's not "bad" but it is an obstacle or difficult conflict.

I think that taking psychedelics could be good; but remember that psychedelics themselves don't inherently make you better. it's the process. it's preparing for it through thinking deeply about self reflection and being ready to face what underlies. be ready to take notes or have a sitter take notes. be ready to possibly cry or even be incredibly overwhelmed; sometimes with happiness. be ready to feel love for humanity, nature, and life. be ready to accept yourself, let go, live and let live, and love.

then there's integration; be ready to take months to put the puzzle pieces together. be ready to be confused afterwards. you won't get all your answers immediately. it takes time to heal. be patient and be ready. do some research about healing with psychedelics. try reading "acid test" the book. try reading about ordeals of depression or abuse and overcoming horrible odds. try reading "a child called it" and the ohter books in the series; a story of a horrific account of abuse and overcoming terrible odds by Dale Pendell. or read a survival story, something inspirational, something that gives you insight into getting better. try watching zefrank videos; as i find he's very inspirational public figure. i'll post some inspiring video's by him as well as some audiobooks to listen to and reflect upon if you choose that path; these audiobooks are wonderful for reflecting on human nature.

here's the links to zefrank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcHRxKJlZOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFgQzaaUwqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYlCVwxoL_g

here's the links to some audiobooks to draw inspiration from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zYg7z3qSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSrKPBjCVA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3VKW0A0Hw

also here's some links to inspiring songs you might consider listening to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjFwBWhlCc4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgyfHAsOwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSvOXV-7nvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn8YFAF32B4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJChP-mzqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aVW1kK1DDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tv-K-YIgcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1gAyqoGVow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTa14Sui7mw

you might also consider manifesting inspration through free writting, song writting, art, playing an instrument, walking in nature deep in thought, attending a therapy session, and anything you think might be a good idea for healing, recovery, and putting your position into perspective.

here is to you; a person trying to get better. here's to the difficulties, the pain, the struggle, the distance, the invisibility, the obstacles, the life you might miss out on, the fear, and the unknown. here's to you mb-909 and your ordeal; i wish you luck dear friend :) i do not know you well but from one human to another i'm wishing for you <3 i'm wising that on your darkest nights you don't feel alone and that one day you are happy and free. i wish for you to be your own you know i wish for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBrz0TjqsI

i know all too well how it's hard. i know all too well how the struggle is. how confusing it is. how much it's out of control. and so i wish for you :)

Thanks! The only thing I am a little bit worried about is HPPD, but I suppose that it is a risk I am fine with ^^.

What you gotta do is get some MXE. It gives you a similar mind expansion and stimulation effect without the nausea, tremors and HPPD. It also relieves depression and improves your outlook toward other people. I can't actually recommend classic psychedelics to anyone. I got nothing good out of them, just a whole lot of unpleasant illness and poisoned feeling. I just don't even use them anymore because MXE is better in every way, other than needing to take a considerable amount of powder into your body. It's not that bad though, just a little bitter nasal drip. The good part is no real nasal burn. Surprisingly, it's also a lot cheaper than classic psychs and also still legal in the US and some other countries. Just doesn't seem to be much downside to it, other than if you take too much it can get a little scary, but that's the same as with the classic psychs.

Psilocybin was the only thing that helped, even cured, my life-long depression. It's a thing of rare beauty. I still remember the times I cried on psilocybin, totally cathartic in a way I'd never even imagined crying could be. Good luck with the truffles.

What you gotta do is get some MXE. It gives you a similar mind expansion and stimulation effect without the nausea, tremors and HPPD. It also relieves depression and improves your outlook toward other people. I can't actually recommend classic psychedelics to anyone. I got nothing good out of them, just a whole lot of unpleasant illness and poisoned feeling. I just don't even use them anymore because MXE is better in every way, other than needing to take a considerable amount of powder into your body. It's not that bad though, just a little bitter nasal drip. The good part is no real nasal burn. Surprisingly, it's also a lot cheaper than classic psychs and also still legal in the US and some other countries. Just doesn't seem to be much downside to it, other than if you take too much it can get a little scary, but that's the same as with the classic psychs.

It's more therapeutic when taken orally for most people. But I can't compare it to classic psychedelics entirely. MXE is great but the insights and benefits I have gained from classic psychedelics is greater for sure. The experiences can be more difficult, but jason seems to react to them different from most. I've had trips where it felt like I had poisoned myself but it's rare for me, generally it feels beautiful with moments of intensity that can be difficult.

As has already been said, approaching psychedelics with depression can go either way. As such, and considering it's your first time (and presumably you live with your parents), I'd recommend a low dose.

My personal direct experience with psychedelics is that a low-ish dose of mushrooms will provide a depression reset for two or three days after the trip.

This reset of your depression symptoms should be seen as a WINDOW and nothing more.

If you genuinely want this to work then you should really take my words seriously and consider writing up a plan of action and using this window of happiness to do healthy proactive things which make you happy and can alleviate depression in the long term.

The list which I usually suggest is the following:

Eating healthy (green smoothies are perfect for this. Kind of like a healthy milkshake if done right)
Walking in nature (forests are perfect for this)
Meditation (perhaps while walking in nature?)
Exercise (running, cycling, walking long distances)
Yoga
Reading
Music (preferably positive stuff)
Creative stuff

I really think that for anybody to be happy you generally need to have the following in check:

physical health (exercise, eating healthy food, yoga, walking, etc)
mental health (meditation, yoga, producing music, playing instruments, writing, etc)

No offence, I hate to presume, but if you're depressed then you're probably doing very little of these things.

Some of these really are core elements of being happy. For example:

If you don't eat a healthy diet than your body can't function optimally.
If you don't exercise then your body doesn't release adequate endorphins.
If you don't meditate then your mind will run of its own accord, unchecked, and will generally think about negative stuff.
If you don't walk in nature then you're missing out on what millions years of being alive on a planet were really all about.

Basically everything runs out of balance. Your body and your mind don't like that. If your mind is unhealthy then it can cause physical illness. If your body is unhealthy then it can cause mental illness.

Please bare this in mind and prepare for it. Otherwise you're (highly likely) going to spend 3-4 days doing the usual shit you do (television, bad food, negative thoughts) feeling fucking brilliant about how the worlds not so bad after all...

Then you're going to wake up on day four in the same old routine and nothing will have changed and you'll be depressed all over again.

Your life is trying to tell you something. Use this knowledge wisely.

If the mushrooms present you with a window, then use it. Positive, healthy stuff is the answer. :)

there's so much out there for you man. For me. For all of us. You just gotta know what you want. And always remember being sullen is a waste of energy. Trust me I know what it feels like. Pain a funny thing when you can't figure out the source. I never knew why I was depressed. That was the catch. I believe it's because I didn't know how to be happy.

Hallucinogens made me realize what can easily make me happy. They've helped a lot and I don't recklessly binge on pharms anymore. I've grown to be more responsible.

Im only 18.

I wouldn't reccomend you do any psyches if you have mental illness tho. I've seen some of my friends lose themselves on the journey. You gotta be careful and if you do go ahead with tripping, don't do it alone.

Bang on. Wise words. :)

And that reminds me - if you've suffered hallucinations and paranoia in your past, then psychedelics can be a bad idea. They can really exasperate these kind of things. You really need to take this into account.

Last edited:
have you considered DMT or ayahuasca? some have claimed it provides great healing; especially ayahuasca. and i've heard mescaline/peyote are also good for healing. but i think that you should start with these truffles and maybe consider developing a garden, include acacia acuminata or acacia confusa and pagnam harmala and hawain baby woodrose, and some vegetables, herbs, flowers, and trees if possible; the acacia acuminata or acacia confusa is a DMT source. pagnam harmala is an MAOI. you might need to avoid tyramine from food though; as well as cafiene and other drugs. but supposedly its one of the best ways to heal depression for some people.

also the hawain baby woodrose is good for tripping; it's a classic psychedelic that effects each person differently; my sis has very visual trips. i have mostly textural and cognitive alterations/enhanced creativiy, euphoria, emotional happiness, enhances senses and brighter colors and sometimes closed eye visuals and open eyed visuals. just something nice to have around. you might also be able to grow kratom which is good to have for when you trip on other stuff. just some thoughts for the future :)

warning: kratom can be addictive. not reccomended for someone dealing with depression.

Dude sorry to burst you bubble, but mxe is not a fix for depression. It may seem like it while your on it and during the days after, but long-term it's only gonna make it much, much worse. Perhaps if it could be used responsibly, but I think most of us are aware that mxe is one of the most psychologically addicting drugs we have seen.

Op if this is a path you are interested in than psilocybin and perhaps ayahuasca and ibogaine seem like the best options. But the change induced by the drug is still only temporary and it will take your best efforts and good intentions to integrate the change to your everyday life.

^ yeah recommending MXE as a "cure" for depression is not good advice, especially if he doesn't even mention the (quite evident) addiction potential.

not saying that it can't help, but still.

I also think that a lifestyle change is most important to get better in the long run. exercise, healthy diet, meditation, et cetera, have all be mentioned and are definately working. I'd also recommend therapy, if you can afford it. nothing will cure you very quickly though, it'll take time and lots of strenght to fight this battle. but you can only win :)

Last edited:
Do shrooms work on the unconscious, because this is the only reason I really want to take it. I read many threads there it was stated that it is no comparison to LSD in that kind of regard. Being happy and seeing all kind of structures is probably nice, but thats no so important for me.

I work out 4 times a week, 2 times cardio and sprinting and 2 times weight training. I am also walking around nature. Earlier I did meditation, when I used to live in New York. I am drawing sometimes, but I am always going back to my old patterns... I really want to take shrooms, because they could help me to accept myself. If I could get LSD I would take it gladly, but I don't know anybody selling it... It kind of pisses that it is forbidden, because it could help me to accept myself a little bit more (MDMA helped me greatly).

psychedelics can help you to attain a goal, but they don't need to. even if you have a meaningful experience, you will have to work on implementing it in your life.

I think taking psychedelics while feeling bad with the goal to feel better is risky, because you'll have really high expectations about what's supposed to happen. if you'll take mushrooms, start with a low dose, and set/setting should be as good as possible.

I also think that a lifestyle change is most important to get better in the long run. exercise, healthy diet, meditation, et cetera, have all be mentioned and are definately working. I'd also recommend therapy, if you can afford it. nothing will cure you very quickly though, it'll take time and lots of strenght to fight this battle. but you can only win :)

None of those ever helped me like mushrooms did. There's something uniquely powerful about the psychedelic state that can never even be comprehended while sober.

I agree. mushroom and mescaline showed me to get my life around. I may have never began my meditation practice and seek for spiritual development without psychedelics.
Id recommend a low dose of mushroom. something like 1.5g is enough to bring a lot of insight without being too intense, scary.
None of those ever helped me like mushrooms did. There's something uniquely powerful about the psychedelic state that can never even be comprehended while sober.
I think lsd could also be helpful.
Id actually recommend mescaline first as the positive push is something else. I doubt someone could even have a bad trip with mescaline. its the most gentle psy Ive ever taken. its not even related to the visual aspect, it really feels like the cactus loves you and shows you your true nature, which is kind, compassionate and peaceful.
mushroom is more direct, less gentle and may be bit more confusing and creepy/negative.

LSD isn't that emotional for me tho murph - good for fun and laughter but I rarely cry on acid. Not like mushrooms.