Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Psilomethoxin Church

Didgital

Moderator: PD
Staff member
Sorry for so many posts today I guess I'm making up for being away so much.

It has come to my attention that a church has emerged claiming to use psilomethoxin as a sacrament. I think it's kind of weird, but I'm not really about psychedelic churches in general. I am curious to hear what others think.

Psilomethoxin is 4-HO-5-MeO-Dimethyltryptamine, a structural hybrid of psilocin and 5-meo-Dmt.

I haven't heard of any direct trip reports, but I find the idea fascinating, and I will likely try to replicate the process on my own.

This is an excerpt taken directly from their site.

"Initial reports of Psilomethoxin indicate it is remarkably different from both 5-MEO-DMT and psilocybin/psilocin in some important and fundamental respects. Unlike these other scheduled tryptamines, Psilomethoxin does not alter sensory perception or cause any major mental disturbances (lacks any hallucinogenic qualities) as a micro-dose. The result is a sacramental supplement that is best described as a “human optimization” molecule.

Psilomethoxin is the universal sacramental supplement. First synthesized in 1965 and later realized naturally through growing it in 2021, the sacrament is void of any particular lineage or history of use. Accordingly, we believe this sacrament has been bestowed upon all of humanity for the purpose of helping humans ascend into fourth-density consciousness. Through our work, we hope to raise the vibration frequency and soul density of all our members, thereby aiding humanity into its ascension into higher states of consciousness.

Because the discovery of naturally-produced Psilomethoxin is so profound, the Church of Psilomethoxin was created as a formalized and sacred vehicle to bring this new and universal sacramental supplement to all peoples of the world. Through the Church, we hope to build a sacred community of aligned spiritual/religious practitioners. Ultimately, the Church intends to create a global community of members who are jointly committed in raising the vibrational frequency of humanity and returning to a more symbiotic relationship with Mother Earth."

Last edited:
Well, this might be sourcing, should probably remove the link. @Didgital

This is almost exactly like an old RC site named KBxxxxx [edit] (I name it as it no longer exists, shut down back in 2014ish, pretty sure the guy "Jeremy" went to jail for a long time because he was posting his court documents on the site trying to defend his distribution arrest as religious freedom, dude got busted with like 3 kg of RCs in his trunk).

Honestly, this website is almost the exact same premise. So much so that I question if its the same guy. They masqueraded as some obscure church, you had to apply for membership in order to buy "sacraments" on the member page which were just RCs. The front page was littered with all sorts of nonsensical religious stuff, had a cult feel.

I used to buy MXE and all sorts of stuff from that site.

This one seems identical but a modern web design and less insane religious stuff everywhere. Very similarly worded, though. This site also charges for membership, the old one didn't (you just had to be approved, it wasn't automatic).

Last edited:
Well, this might be sourcing, should probably remove the link.
Woops, sorry, was not my intent. I did have reservations about posting the link for that reason. I mainly want to hear what others think about this church specifically and also psychedelic churches in general.

I've never felt the need to be in any sort of church, I dont need to be in any religious organization, as I feel I am allowed to have my own direct link to god/source.

Law enforcement might disagree with me though.

It's an interesting idea. I think Jeremy did the church as some sort of farcical legal protection, but it obviously didn't work. Maybe it could slow the cops down.

Pretty sure many people have tried this idea and their own churches, some more sincerely than others. I believe the only group in the US who have gained legal protection to use psychedelics are Native Americans.

Theres a few bufo churches in the southwest, "Universal Shamans of the New Tomorrow" "Church of Toad of Light" I forget which one but they unfortunately do not consider synthetic 5-meo-DMT to be holy, so they continue to milk wild toad.

There's at least one non NAC peyote church "The Peyote Way Church of God". I was offered membership for free but declined.

An ayahuasca church "aya quest native americas" located in kentucky of all places.

Santo Daime (which I actually would like to attend a ceremony just to see it)

And of course the "temple of true inner light" which uses DPT as their primary sacrament. I don't know if they still exist? (Me and DPT dont seem to agree with eachother)

Then there's the especially weird reddit cult called Cantelmoism which there is a pretty interesting vice article about.

I have heard of those ayahuasca churches and wonder how they operate legally. Is it clandestine or do they have legal protection?

I haven't heard of the other ones. A DPT church? Isn't that purely synthetic?

Then there's the especially weird reddit cult called Cantelmoism which there is a pretty interesting vice article about.
Hah yeah I heard about that weird cult 2 years ago when that guy was still active. RIP

A DPT church? Isn't that purely synthetic
Yeah and they've been around for a long time. At least 1987, which is pretty interesting as Tihkal wasnt released until 1997. Tempted to email the address on their website.

Upon a quick google search it's been around since at least the 60's though I've not been able to find who originally synthesized it. I doubt it was shulgin, who btw praised the church and believed it to be very high in integrity

I remember back in the day there was this site you could buy mushrooms from that also claimed religious freedom. You’d send a “donation” of 20 or 35$ I believe and in return got a half 8th or 8th of mushrooms. They had different species too.

I’m very curious why these guys chose this particular drug, it must have something unique to it.

-GC

I’m very curious why these guys chose this particular drug, it must have something unique to it.

-GC
I was confused as to what they were doing, but this is extremely interesting.

Apparently you can inject/infuse certain tryptamines such as NN DMT or, in this case 5-MeO-DMT into growing psilocybe mushrooms and it will biotransform it into 4-Hydroxy-5-MeO-DMT !

Apparently 4-Hydroxy-5-MeO-DMT is basically an orally active 5-MeO-DMT with a several hour duration. Wild....

It also apparently boosts the psilocin content of the mushroom yield, too :oops: super shrooms?

Last edited:
So apparently the church of psilomethoxin was started by this Ian guy

Something does seem fishy about all this, though.... idk says "there is no halluinogenic effect... but has a smooth onset" idk... maybe it's only less psychedelic

Psilomethoxin is effectively oral route of administration 5-meo-dmt without any risk of bufotenine poisoning since the molecule does not break down in to the active metabolite 5-oh-dmt (bufotenine) like 5-meo-dmt does. Also there is no hallucinogenic effect like the classic 5ht2a receptor site substances dmt, psilocin and lsd. Lastly the slower and smoother onset of psilomethoxin means that the rapid ego dissolution that can occur on 5-meo-dmt is not a factor and the dosing can remain functional and therapeutic at the same time.
Though synthesized in 1965 by ortho-vanillin, the late Sasha Shulgin wrote:
“These active compounds are made by the mushroom so they really are natural and yet they never have been observed in nature. I'll give you even odds that if you put spores of a psilocybe species on cow droppings loaded with 5-MeO-DMT you would come out with mushrooms containing 4,5-HO-MeO-DMT. This way you avoid a 10 step synthesis by growing a psychoactive mushroom that contains no illegal drug.”.
Psilomethoxin had never been bioassayed until now, thanks to Ian Benouis.
Ian Benouis is a West Point graduate, former US Army officer, Blackhawk helicopter pilot and combat veteran. He is Patient Number One at the Mission Within which treats special operators with PTSD, TBI and addiction using iboga and Bufo in Mexico. He is an advisor there, after being the General Counsel and spearheading the veteran healing program. Ian has been helping wounded veterans for over 8 years.
He participated in Operation Just Cause in the Republic of Panama. This operation was the largest combat operation in US history focused directly on the War on Drugs and was the largest special operations deployment ever conducted.
Ian founded an ONAC church chapter which was later returned to the parent church. He is a founder of a Santo Daime church which is the US chapter of a Brazilian government approved church and between himself and his law partner Greg lake have created over fifty entheogenic churches around the US.
Ian was a pharmaceutical representative for Pfizer after he got out of the Army witnessing firsthand the meteoric rise of the SSRI’s and synthetic opioids in the early 1990’s.
He has now co-founded the Church of Psilomethoxin in November of 2021 after being the first human being to ingest the sacrament through bioassay.

This whole biosynthesis technique for hydroxylation of tryptamines inside mushrooms is fascinating, but the more I look into it I suspect this church is a money grab and possibly even a scam.

While 4-HO-5-MeO-DMT is very real and active, this guy might just be scamming veterans and other people.

The "sacraments" he is selling are only 180mg capsules of mushrooms.... for extremely high prices.

Someome online said Hamilton Morris mentioned this guy on his podcast and tested a sample of these pills and did not find any 4-HO-5-MeO-DMT. I'm not sure which podcast episode that was, though.

So it's very likely this guy is just selling mushroom microdoses for rip off prices and making dubious claims.

Per Shulgin himself:

Dear Dr. Shulgin:

I have been puzzled, why this compound (4-HO-5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) wasn't included in TIHKAL -- for me it looks very appealing. Have you by the way, ever looked into cathinone (beta-keto-amphetamine) analogues of some of the psychedelic amphetamines (DOB, TMA-2, etc.) The MDMA-analogue (Methylone) is active indeed, do you think the 2,4-5-substitution pattern could be applied onto the CATs?

_Anon_

Dear _Anon_,

I totally agree with you.

4-Hydroxy-5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine would be a fascinating compound to explore. The reason it's not in TIKHAL is that it is virtually unknown. The only report of it in the chemical literature was a paper published by Marc Julia's group at the Pasteur Institute in 1965. They reported the synthesis and physical properties of the compound but to my knowledge it has never been explored in any way. The synthesis is quite a frightening thing. It starts with ortho-vanillin and takes approximately 10 steps to get to the 4,5-HO-MeO-DMT. I'm not surprised that no one has pursued the compound.

However there is a very interesting study that took place in Leipzig about 15 years ago. Jochen Gartz, a mushroom explorer whom I know quite well, has done some fascinating studies with Psilocybe species by raising them on solid media containing strange tryptamines that are alien to the mushroom. Apparently the enzymes that are responsible for the 4-hydroxy group of psilocin are indifferent to what it is they choose to 4-hydroxylate. He has taken things like DPT or DIPT and put them in the growth media and the fruiting bodies that came out contain 4-hydroxy-DPT or 4-hydroxy-DIPT instead of psilocin. In fact, he has a patent on the process. These active compounds are made by the mushroom so they really are natural and yet they never have been observed in nature. I'll give you even odds that if you put spores of a psilocybe species on cow droppings loaded with 5-MeO-DMT you would come out with mushrooms containing 4,5-HO-MeO-DMT. This way you avoid a 10 step synthesis by growing a psychoactive mushroom that contains no illegal drug.

Your idea of making analogues of the psychoactive amphetamines with the carbonyl that is characteristic of CAT would probably be a disappointment. Cathinone itself is rather unstable because there is a primary amine and a ketone in the same molecule. It will tend to dimerize and become inactive. In the example of METHYLONE (as with methcathinone) the amine is a secondary amine and the compound is quite stable. But all of the psychoactive amphetamines (except for MDMA) are primary amines.

- Dr. Shulgin

Looks like one to skip for the time being, who knows how it is metabolized, and until then let somebody else be a lab rat: