Prosecution Using Bluelight as Evidence

Operation ismene was unrelated to bluelight.

Read one post once where posts from bluelight were used to stain someone's character (everybody in the lounge would be fucked) and the raid in oz after planning a meet on here.

In the case which I spoke of, the posts weren't used as evidence, but as probable cause for a search warrant. There was no need to put a face behind the computer; there was only a need to show that a computer at a particular location was being used to post messages about illegal activity. Once that information was obtained, a few days of surveillance was all that was necessary to shore up the PC.

Did they not need probable cause to track the IP number down? Im not an IT geek so I dont know how one would go about linking an IP to a post I would think it would involve talking to your internet service provider right? Do you not have a reasonable expectation of privacy when you are browsing the internet from your own home? I dunno if thats even the right question to ask but that just seems crazy to me.

Hey I was thinking, maybe we should open up the discussion more about this topic. I know it's sort of taboo but it also seems very important as the internet matures and so do these forums.

I've always respected bluelight for not using the 'SWIM' format, but it would be informative to have a discussion on how exactly that would matter in a court of law. I have usually held the impression that 'SWIM' is foolish and would never actually protect you from what you have said, especially as it become more exactly correlated with being a cheap cover for talking about yourself.

It seems that everyone here with actual experience and information toward the matter feels that it's best not to talk about it. But maybe we should reconsider this. It would seem that if we keep this discussion open it would help people both understand the risks, and also also understand the local necessity for legal action to protect themselves. This would mean legal measures both for substance use but also legal protections for information discussed on the internet.

I just think that if we keep the conversation suppressed it puts everyone in danger. As they say, knowledge is power.

I like to think that we, as a community, are discouraging stupid behavior. But at the same time I think it's important, and growing more important every year, to discuss the legal implications of what goes on here.

To be clear, we should not, as a community, keep ourselves on the outskirts of society. We should acknowledge the risks, but at the same time we should acknowledge the strength we possess as a community.

And the community is only strong if people are informed.

- just my personal two pennies.

Did they not need probable cause to track the IP number down?

No, they obtained an administrative subpoena to gather that information.

It seems that everyone here with actual experience and information toward the matter feels that it's best not to talk about it.

I have a professional obligation not to relay specific details of cases. I'm glad to answer questions, but that's it.

Man, all the people on here like "Yea right they cant use boolight!" got some re-thinkin to do.

Do they use facebook, myspace in proescution? Yes. Why wouldnt they use bluelight?

Do they use peoples personal home pages (lol, like people really have those these days, but back when it was popular in the 90s to have a 'web page' ) yea they do/did.

Why would somethin you say here be any different?

If you live with your 98 year old grandmother and sell drugs in her house, when they get the warrant to search, they CAN charge her. Whether or not they do, they CAN. So, if they prove that somebody in your house is writin this and that about sellin, usin drugs, etc, they dotn say "well, derrr, we dont know which family member/resident it is, so lets just say nevermind". The whole house, the computer, the whole family is now under watch until they figure out who it is.

the law is pretty wide when it comes to that type of shit. they dont need to know that it was YOU, that you were bein SERIOUS instead of joking, etc when they see the posts. They just know this post was made at this time from this place and that place is your place, u feel me?

If after a crime someone takes a picture of you with a saw, and someoen else hears you sayin "man, it sure is hard as hell to get thru those shinbones with a hack saw lawl", nobodty says "Well, but, like, was he SERIOUS!?! Maybe he was only JOKIN! there aint no way to tell if he really MEANT it!" and "was that really HIM in that picture?! It coulda been somebody DISGUISED as him!"

So why would it be different online. you say shit, you say shit. you on here under this screen name and it looks like you sounds like you and its at your house, its you as far as they concerned, it aint this "But you cant proooooove it!" thing that so many of yall seem to think it is.

Also, i think we all understand why Forgotten cant post specific details about his cases on here.

But, honestly, for a lot of the long time BL'ers that was either around when "The Florida Thing That Must Not Be Named" happened, or knows of it, I kinda feel like the whole "I cant say more" attitude is a little bit....Iunno. fucked up.

It happened, many years ago. Most of the people aint even HERE on BL no more. It aint gonna disrespect them in no type of way at all to explain the thing that happened. I feel like its doin a dis service to all the ppl on here who DONT realize how serious shit is, to just talk about it like "your mother and father are talking about grownup stuff now, and we cant tell you no more than that." I know that the ppl involved had this attitude like "wow this was so horrible lets never talk about it again" , but seriously. We can talk about Sept. 11. We talk about lots of terrible shit. We talk about the details when BL'ers DIE. And we cant tell the truth about wat happened in a internet forum rave meetup that got raided? I feel like thats really silly and i understand yall wantin to be respectful, "I dotn want to tell somebody elses story, its up to them to tell it" but most of those ppl aint even here no more and been gone a long time.

I dont feel like its disrespectful in no way at all to just share the events that happened with people. Yall are makin it sound like its this horrible, terrible, unspeakable tragedy that is so awful you cant even speak its name. I think the only ppl its disrespectful to is the posters here who need to understand the history of BL and wat really happened and how its relevant to this topic, by refusing to tell them and actin like it some kind of secret club. I think its really just silly to keep actin like this was the worst tragedy ever to happen on BL. if we can talk about the many bl'ers who have died in the Shrine, in a respectful and informative way, i think its ok to discuss wat happened to a couple BL'ers from 10 years ago who got arrested, u feel me.

The story is in the BL archives anyways, so it aint like its some kind of secret. Im very sad to see the "oldschool" attitude on here of all places. It aint fair to not discuss this especially when it AINT somebodys personal experience that they told to yall in confidence, but its common knowledge among people who been here a certain amount of time. It aitn like you would be tellin somethin that is a secret that these ppl who got popped wouldnt want nobody to know. Its freely out there if u read the archives, so the idea that you protecting somebody/somethin is a lil off. I got half a mind to explain it to these youngins myself, there aint no reason they shouldnt be able to know.

Anyways, back to the original topic, another thing that I would be cautious of is anybody on probation or parole. PO's look for peoples facebook pages, etc, they do more than you think. and shit like bluelight if they happened to find it, would definately be able to be used against you in a probation violation hearing or somethin like that. especially if u postin pics.

People seem to think the only interstest is anybody who is dealin, or sellin, or doin that type shit. Its more like , bluelight is used as PART of a investigation when you got somebody in trouble, to try and find out MORE about them , and get more evidence. it aint like there is investigations TOTALLY based on bluelight.....just that once one is started, if they find out about the person usin the site, the shit on the site becomes of interest to them, u feel me.

^ As far as I'm concerned, you can post whatever details you want about that incident so long as no one involved is identifiable either by screen name or RL name, and if these names cannot be deduced by combining the details of your posts with archived posts. It's important that people understand the risks of possessing illegal substances and participating in social websites where there is the opportunity to meet strangers.

Last edited:
I know of a case, and it did not even relate to drugs. It was two or three lines from BL to help the crown deny someone bail.

careful what you post.

They'll use information here against you only if somebody testifies against you and says you are this person on this site more than likely (or if you admit it). I could see them using the information here if they were conducting deals here. Many other more direct things in a crime they will use against you as well....

off to chicago metropolitan correctional center in 3 weeks.