European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Propranolol and cocaine

Tree of Life

Greenlighter
I'm currently on a low dose of Propranolol (3 x 10mg per day). From doing some research online it seems this can potentially be a pretty bad combination. What if I were to skip my night time dose? I was just planning to have a few lines or so.

I suspect a key question would be: Why are you on beta blockers? Definitely a bad idea if on them for actual heart problems. If for anxiety/sleep kinda issues I would be less concerned... but that's just my uneducated opinion so I'd wait for one of our more medically astute folk to chime in if the latter is the case.

On beta blockers because I get intermittent physical anxiety/tension issues. That's not really bothering me anymore. I find very occasional stimulant use doesn't really cause me issues. My only concern is the interaction with propranolol.

I've never had any blood pressure or heart issues.

I wouldn't combine the two - have seen (and experienced) many an iffy situation when people combine propanalol with various drugs. I'd wait til it's out of your system if you are going to indulge in any stims. I'd also bear in mind that cocaine will induce anxiety, physical tension and "hearty stuff" - especially on the comedown - so maybe take it steady if not a regular indulger.

And, again, hopefully some of our members with medical knowledge that goes beyond the anecdotal will chime in soon enough.

Thanks - yeah I'd skip my night time dose. I'd probably take the second around lunch time, then plan to indulge maybe about 7 or 8 hours later. I understand it has a half-life of a few hours so there'd still be some in my system, but I'm on a very low dose.

Not sure if skipping more doses than that would be a good idea. You get withdrawal effects from beta blockers, but I've not been able to find information on how quickly they kick in.

I have used both with no issues in the past, but Coke, especially when it's full of stim cuts is really not good for anxiety

I know coke isn't good for anxiety, but that's not my concern. I'm pretty sensible with it these days on the rare occasions I indulge, and I feel OK after it. My concern is whether this is a particularly dangerous combination and how I can limit the risk.

Propranolol just inhibits the release of adrenalin from the adrenal gland. I can't see why it would be a problem but im not a doctor and mixing drugs is never going to be a good idea

There is a paradoxical risk from beta-blockers causing run-away alpha-adrenergic stimulation while on stims. This is mostly problematic in the heart, as it can cause coronary arteries to narrow while the stim places further demands on the heart for blood/oxygen. And cocaine is probably the worst of the stims on this specific issue.

However you can simply stop taking the propanolol for half the day (or about 6 hours before). There is no reason to take the propranolol while you're using cocaine.

I take Atenolol which is a similar beta blocker. It's always best to be concerned... and I was when I first started taking them.

I also am prescriped Amphetamine for A.D.D. Which I usually take as directed but have on occasion experimented with higher doses. It's been quite awhile but I used coke on it as well.

My doc who rxd it said it would not cause any kind of interaction at all unless there were previous heart defects of some kind. My pharmacists agrees.

Different things always hit everyone differently of course... but assuming you don't go absolutely crazy with stims and your heart is being monitorred by your doc (which should be the case being prescribed beta blockers,) I wouldn't worry about it.

But that's just what I've been told and my personal experience. Others may have different.

I take it for borderline hypertension btw.

There is a paradoxical risk from beta-blockers causing run-away alpha-adrenergic stimulation while on stims. This is mostly problematic in the heart, as it can cause coronary arteries to narrow while the stim places further demands on the heart for blood/oxygen. And cocaine is probably the worst of the stims on this specific issue.

However you can simply stop taking the propanolol for half the day (or about 6 hours before). There is no reason to take the propranolol while you're using cocaine.
Yeah, I would do this. The dose I'm on is also very low anyway. How long should I wait until after stopping the coke before I take another dose?

Also, how long before the propranolol withdrawals set in? Is going say 24 hours without a dose going to be an issue?

my understanding was there are 2 types of propranolol, a fast acting and longer acting variety.
One can be used once a day and one 3-4 times daily

Yeah, I would do this. The dose I'm on is also very low anyway. How long should I wait until after stopping the coke before I take another dose?

Also, how long before the propranolol withdrawals set in? Is going say 24 hours without a dose going to be an issue?

Honestly, the dose you're on is unlikely to be doing anything useful at this point - it's like a placebo. The body adapts to low-dose beta-blockers by up-regulating the beta receptor, over-riding the effect of the propranolol in blocking it.

So in reality this discussion is more theoretical than practical - even if you take the cocaine with the propranolol, I wouldn't expect you to notice anything. However, you should always err on the side of caution and that's why I'm explaining the effect and advising best practice.

If you resume your beta-blocker the following morning, you should be fine.

[EDITED for clarification]

Last edited:
my understanding was there are 2 types of propranolol, a fast acting and longer acting variety.
One can be used once a day and one 3-4 times daily

That's correct, there is an XR form taken once-a-day. But he's on the short-acting regular formulation that's taken 3x per day.

CFC, perhaps you should clarify that stopping and starting beta-blockers when used intermittantly is fine but those taking them everyday on a long term basis, there are risks to abrupt discontinuation.

CFC, perhaps you should clarify that stopping and starting beta-blockers when used intermittantly is fine but those taking them everyday on a long term basis, there are risks to abrupt discontinuation.

Yes you're right Kitty, it wasn't worded well. I meant discontinuation of his low-dose non-cardiovascular related therapy would be fine, but I'll edit that out in case others misinterpret.

Yo mate. I think it's terrible all this folk trying to make you feel bad for asking the question. If you want to take cocain if you've got anxiety, the that fine. Definitely not medically advised but doing cocain would never be medically advised. Re propanol and cocain, definitely not a good idea until you come down. It sounds like your on those guys ever day? That's okay, because it doesn't seem to have many side effects but I just use it from time to time as a 'panic attack pill'. works great like that for me. It's not a drug that needs to build on your system. It's good as a one of too. Brilliant drug. No addictive and effective, perfect. I have terrible anxiety and am recovering from a vallium addiction. Anxiety is the worst and I hope that your okay. I wonder if those guys hating on you for doing coke with anxiety know exactly how those comments could make you feel.

Big love.
I came here because I can't wait to have a propanol. I'm coming off cocain and have a massive panic attack

^Ive just skimmed through the thread and that wasn't really the vibe I got? People were simply giving specific, helpful responses to the best of their ability regarding the origin question... two years ago!