• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Proof for Reincarnation?

DimeBagJohnny

Bluelighter
I've always had a strong sense that some form of reincarnation is true. I read somewhere that proof of reincarnation is that WE EXIST RIGHT NOW. That makes so much sense to me. I mean I seemingly came from nothing, yet I am here. Why can't it happen again? Will I always exist in some form or another? I feel life HAS to happen again. Can I hear your thoughts on the subject?

I hope there is no reincarnation. I wouldn't want to repeat childhood.
I've always had a strong sense that some form of reincarnation is true. I read somewhere that proof of reincarnation is that WE EXIST RIGHT NOW. That makes so much sense to me. I mean I seemingly came from nothing, yet I am here. Why can't it happen again? Will I always exist in some form or another? I feel life HAS to happen again. Can I hear your thoughts on the subject?

Personally I believe in 3 possible afterlives

1. Our souls reincarnate into new bodies on earth
2. Our souls will exist into themselves and we will reside inside our own minds.... sort of like being a god of your own universe, except you are that universe. Anything would be possible because you will exist within you. It won't be boring since your brain will not be there to make you feel boredom
3. We will recieve some form of heaven or hell like experiance... The only way this would make sense is if God had bodies composed of spiritual matter, and put our minds (spiritual energy) inside these new bodies

I prefer to believe in option 2

I read somewhere that proof of reincarnation is that WE EXIST RIGHT NOW. That makes so much sense to me. I mean I seemingly came from nothing, yet I am here.

This is a very poor argument, let alone "proof" that reincarnation exists. Why would the fact that something exists in a particular moment in time entail that the same thing must persist through eternity?

I mean I seemingly came from nothing, yet I am here. Why can't it happen again?

This doesn't make a lot of sense. If you were reincarnated, you wouldn't come from nothing, you would come from an alternative manifestation of your past self.

To me, it makes a lot more sense to think that since I came from nothing, I will return to nothing. Look around you, nothing exists which is permanent.

I've read too many authentic stories from children who recall specific details of previous lives for me to totally discredit reincarnation, and it's usually children who are good at it because they're new. Hard to know where it comes from though. Maybe it's a mass consciousness thing, for all we know.

Another good point is, the human population is increasing a lot these days, so where do the extra souls come from? If we're all part of a group consciousness (or oneness), then it can split into unlimited numbers... but then why is it that some people have such personal, individual, linear memories of past lives? I don't get it.

Although I feel reincarnation might be real, and I certainly feel that I KNOW (though I don't, not really) that existence continues in some way beyond this life, I don't think concrete proof exists of such a thing. Or if it does, we're not about to discover it.

I hope there is no reincarnation. I wouldn't want to repeat childhood.

But if you were a different person, you might feel differently about childhood. I would LOVE to repeat my childhood, in fact during most of my twenties I pined away for it and it made me sad that I never would be able to.

The human soul is greater that the whole universe. It just likes to confine itself to small avatar-like bodies in order to grow and do projects together.

Reincarnation just seems too much like wishful thinking generated by people afraid of dying. There are reasons why people may not wish to accept the finality of death.

I've read too many authentic stories from children who recall specific details of previous lives for me to totally discredit reincarnation, and it's usually children who are good at it because they're new. Hard to know where it comes from though. Maybe it's a mass consciousness thing, for all we know.

Another good point is, the human population is increasing a lot these days, so where do the extra souls come from? If we're all part of a group consciousness (or oneness), then it can split into unlimited numbers... but then why is it that some people have such personal, individual, linear memories of past lives? I don't get it.

Your second paragraph is actually a good argument against reincarnation. Numerically, it doesn't add up.

Small children really don't provide reliable testimony, even when referrring to their internal experiences. They are also unique for the vividness of their imaginings. Rather then breaking the laws of physics and somehow retaining memories non-physically, it seems more likely that children are using their powerful imaginations to create a fantasy. How can one seperate tales of past lives from tales of imaginary friends? Adults would have to pick and choose.

Of course, if memory is non-physical (maybe 'cloud based'?) then I guess children might be referring to actual real past events. But, all evidence suggests that memory does have a physical component, which is lacking in new born humans. Smooth, untouched brain tissue. Yum.

I definitely believe in reincarnation.

It makes much more sense than the Paradise/Hell stuff. If Christianity had the concept of reincarnation it would be much more credible, I can't possibly believe we have just one life and if we make errors or good deeds we will either end up punished or simply end up in paradise for eternity.

And btw people who believe there is absolutely nothing after death are extremely pessimistic. The soul/ electromagnetic energy/spirit call it whatever you want, it will continue to exist despite the death of the body. The laws of physics clearly state that energy cannot be destroyed it can only transform, meaning that in someway we will live eternally.
I know that some people don't believe in these theories, but it actually makes sense and its also comforting.

Last edited:
I lean towards reincarnation being a political tool. The king says to the slaves, "Don't worry (and don't rise up!).. next time around, you'll be king and I'll be a slave!".

My greatest fear is reincarnating on this planet though. One life time here is more than enough!

I lean towards reincarnation being a political tool. The king says to the slaves, "Don't worry (and don't rise up!).. next time around, you'll be king and I'll be a slave!".

Thats true, but it could also be: "Don't worry (and don't rise up!)..when you die you will rejoice in paradise for eternity."

Thats true, but it could also be: "Don't worry (and don't rise up!)..when you die you will rejoice in paradise for eternity."

Also valid. Esoteric seekers sometimes hold the view that it doesn't matter if one doesn't achieve their objective in this lifetime, you'll have other lives to complete the task. I think a common thread across all forms of the reincarnation argument is that it very quickly becomes an excuse to not put in effort to a task.. whether an esoteric objective, or hanging the king who has become a douchebag leader of the kingdom.

I definitely believe in reincarnation.

It makes much more sense than the Paradise/Hell stuff. If Christianity had the concept of reincarnation it would be much more credible, I can't possibly believe we have just one life and if we make errors or good deeds we will either end up punished or simply end up in paradise for eternity.

Aren't you actually saying that it is preferable to be reincarnated and not whether it is likely or not? Or, how is reincarnation more credible? Sure, you might want to live again and again, but what you want is often different to what you get.

To me, the errors that you make on earth have an immediate effect. Rather then wait until next time, I believe that the only worthwhile and useful time is the present.

And btw people who believe there is absolutely nothing after death are extremely pessimistic. The soul/ electromagnetic energy/spirit call it whatever you want, it will continue to exist despite the death of the body. The laws of physics clearly state that energy cannot be destroyed it can only transform, meaning that in someway we will live eternally.

I think you are making a generalisation there. I don't believe in the afterlife, as discussed in this topic, but I don't consider myself pessimistic. That is, if you really think that such believers are optimists, and that reincarnation is somehow a good thing.

You are assuming the soul exists and that it could be considered energy but its not really. Life is self-organising matter, using energy to coalesce and reproduce. Energy itself is just energy; it doesn't require the input of energy to exist. The physical matter that makes up your body cannot be destroyed. The energy used in this process cannot be destroyed. The physical body-matrix can and does get destroyed. You are borrowing the molecules of your body from the universe, but you will need to return them eventually. These molecules have only very briefly contained you within them; for the majority of their existence, they had no connection to you. When they disperse, so do you. This process does not represent an afterlife for your own self, but the eternal existence of valueless matter.

I read this thing, that every human alive contains moecules that resided within William Shakespeare. But, we aren't all avatars of him are we?

I know that some people don't believe in these theories, but it actually makes sense and its also comforting.

Hopefully, I am not coming across as an asshole, but I can't imagine how this would be comforting. The myriad doubts that these ambiguous idea's engender surely rob a great deal of comfort from them.

I just took a walk through some woods which I've been meaning to visit for a while. I was initially looking for some mushrooms, but eventually my sensory perception caught up with me, alerting me that something was strangely familiar about this place. Suddenly I started having flashbacks to dreams I used to have of driving a very old car (possibly a Ford from the 1930's) along the exact same trail. Of course, some of the geography (that would have been there if the dream was purely a memory) doesn't seem to add up.

I'll have to take a trip down to the Bangor City Hall and see if I can find some records or maps.

Not really proof of reincarnation, but I've lived in this city for four years now and I keep seeing things that are exactly like my dreams.

It is Enough

To know that the atoms
of my body
will remain

to think of them rising
through the roots of a great oak
to live in
leaves, branches, twigs

perhaps to feed the
crimson peony
the blue iris
the broccoli

or rest on water
freeze and thaw
with the seasons

some atoms might become a
bit of fluff on the wing
of a chickadee
to feel the breeze
know the support of air

and some might drift
up and up into space
star dust returning from

whence it came
it is enough to know that
as long as there is a universe
I am a part of it.

Anne Alexander Bingham

But I have still put my orders in for a possible next life: ridiculously courageous big wave surfer, multi-instrument musician, any gender, linguist, poet, south Pacific islander, psychic, dream-rememberer. Am I being greedy?=D

I was discussing this further with a friend recently and we were talking about the nature of the soul, across many systems, including the way it's discussed in modern occult. Spirits can linger after death (ghosts, etc.) but the soul always returns to the Divine source from where it came. If the Source is oneness, then what returns from "oneness" to be reincarnated? The way Tibetan Buddhists describe the process is that you enter the bardo and your subtle consciousness will enter a room where there are many humans having sex, and if you haven't done the proper training you'll just get sucked into the creative power of one of those couples, experiencing rebirth. On the other end of the room is a portal of light which is where you train your subtle mind to go instead of looking at the people having sex. In theosophy they expand upon this further to say you will be magnetically pulled to the parents who match your evolutionary vibration (I'm paraphrasing) so that your soul-specific work can continue. But it's all a story based on separateness. You're this separate soul moving about purgatory looking for a way back to oneness, which you are already part of? It doesn't make sense.

It's all a nice story. But then, if you interrogate the concept of subtle consciousness, or karma, or souls, or whatever... what is actually in here for anything to attach to beyond death? It seems like a farce. To put it another way, your ego isn't even real, it's totally holographic, and this reality all around us? Totally empty of substance, when you get right down to it. It's all one thing, whatever it is, but there's no one DOING anything. Matter on the subatomic level is basically empty. So what are we even talking about when we talk about past lives or the next life, when this one is so obviously fictitious? Like in Buddhism, they talk about accumulating merit and purifying karma. What can merit or karma even attach to? There's nothing in here!

In other words, if there's no real story beyond mind, then what story moves forward? And if you can't even remember the story, then it's as good as non-existent, so what's the point of even entertaining this? They say, "It's the natural law of being human, like water freezes when it's cold, we can't remember in this form." Well gee, isn't that convenient.

If there's an evolution of the soul via the reincarnation process, then what is the soul trying to achieve? Where is it trying to go? There's really nowhere to go, beyond this moment. A soul projecting a plan is no different than a human projecting into the future. There's nothing there, just like the past is non-existent.

To me it just seems like a lot of work in order to get to a point where you won't remember any of it anyway. We don't have these elaborate stories when an ant gets stepped on, or a tree cut down. We just see them as there one minute and gone the next -- poof, oh well! They're dead. Yet humans are somehow special, YOU are somehow special, and above it all. So let's all run around and gather merit, and purify karma, yippee! Whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
^^ I pretty much agree with your thoughts, I've been thinking about this a lot this past year. I believe we are all one, that we are all the universe experiencing subjectively. Time is a dimension, and the movement of time is an illusion. All life in the universe is the universe experiencing itself subjectively in one eternal moment, "simultaneously" (though that word's meaning it entwined in the subjectivity of our own experience of time). Our egoes, our personalities, are the result of that consciousness seated in a massively complex physical composition of matter. The force of awareness and life inside is independent from that, but no specific aspects of ourselves are external from our physical mind/body systems. The universe is an observer, but the subjective elements are unique and specific to and dependent on the physical form (ie, the brain hardware). When we die, that hardware no longer exists. "We" exist still, because existence exists and continues to exist regardless of whether an individual is alive or not. There is no "self" to ascend and reincarnate. My personality will end with my death but the collective we exist as all things outside of all time and dimensionality.

At least this is the conclusion I've come to thus far.

An interesting thought this provoked in me: if the self exists beyond this life, and we have a unique soul that reincarnates, what happens in the case where someone sustains massive brain damage and becomes vegetative, but still alive? Has their soul left their body? Does that person exist anymore, or have they become a hunk of meat? What happens to their soul/personality in the midst of that, still alive but not really alive?

I watched a programme on reincarnation I think it was about children remembering their past life's. Now up until this programme I'd allways thought it was a silly idea but the evidence this little boy gave to his past life could not be false he knew roo much. His old mum n dad's names where they lived described the house etc and it was all rite. Give this a read it's a summary of the programme and it will seriously blow your mind away http://mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/ec/cameron-macauley-the-boy-who-lived-before-reincarnation/ enjoy

Your second paragraph is actually a good argument against reincarnation. Numerically, it doesn't add up.

How do we know that these humans being reborn on earth didn't die on some other alien planet? And there's also the animal kingdom and plant kingdom as well- which both over-populates the human population on earth

The way Tibetan Buddhists describe the process is that you enter the bardo and your subtle consciousness will enter a room where there are many humans having sex, and if you haven't done the proper training you'll just get sucked into the creative power of one of those couples, experiencing rebirth. On the other end of the room is a portal of light which is where you train your subtle mind to go instead of looking at the people having sex.

My teacher is a Tibetan Buddhist. If you ask him what happens after death, he'll tell you he doesn't know. The whole reincarnation aspect of Buddhism came from the culture it was cultivated in initially. When one reaches realization (you don't really "reach" it, but).... you see that the less you know, the more you know. Realization is very personal, and some teachers teach different things, but my teacher personally doesn't suscribe to any promises of an afterlife- just strict meditation practice to help transcend your suffering whilst on earth.