View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Preparing for DMT?

Tryptamino

Bluelight Crew
Im getting some DMT tomorrow and i will be smoking it for my first time ever (I've used Ahayuasca before, but never synthetic DMT). I know that it's a lot different from LSD, psilocybin, or even Ahayuasca, so I assume that I would have to prepare for it differently. Anybody here have anything that can help me? Tips, tricks, the like? Thanks in advance.

Don't get too hung up on the idea of dispelling your anxiety. Try to relax, but with DMT some pre-blastoff anxiety is normal and expected. Aside from that I can think of nothing that can really prepare you but I'm sure others will have some cool suggestions. If you're the type who enjoys meditation, perhaps try that beforehand.

I suppose I don't need to say this to you but I feel obliged to anyway, the usual things about set and setting apply. I personally don't think you can ever 'prepare' perfectly for something like this, at the end of the day you're in for a ride. Enjoy! Will you be writing a TR?

yeah probably, DMT seems like something i would want to document after. although im probably going to wait a while to actually smoke it, as i want to practice getting used to the fast psychedelic onset by smoking some salvia once a day for at least a few days, just so i am used to the feeling of being thrust into that kind of state of mind.

or even Ahayuasca, so I assume that I would have to prepare for it differently. advance.

It's not much different to ayahuasca - after all ayahuasca is DMT taken orally so it's like being at the peak of a smoked DMT trip for 2 hours rather than 30 seconds. If you enjoyed ayahuasca then smoked should be fine.

The main problem will be actually getting it to work - smoking DMT is very tricky. I could never inhale enough to get many effects from it.

Well, ayahuasca was very gentle with me, sort of like a high dose of shrooms, whereas people describe smoked DMT as the world being replaced in front of you, which was not what ayahuasca did to me. im worried if im going to get the fear, because i have heard a lot of people on BL say that they get really afraid very fast, opposed to terence mckenna, who claims that it has little to no effects of the such.

I'd worry about getting it to work first of all - I imagine your first dozen or so attempts won't work anyway.

If you found ayahuasca comfortable I can't see smoked DMT being a problem. People say all sorts of daft shit about ayahuasca too, but I've always found DMT a very friendly psychedelic.

40-50mg should do you good. When you smoke it, keep hitting the pipe until you can't no more. After a couple of hits, you might see your vision go yellow, and you'll think, "I'm really messed up, I should stop now." DON'T! Seriously, keep hitting that pipe over and over again, until either it's all gone or you litterally can't see or move anymore. (It's a good idea to have a sitter there with you to take the pipe from your hands when you break through, so that you don't burn yourself)

I actually had better success with snorting it. You'll need about twice as much this way, 80-100mg. And the visuals will unfold a little more slowly, giving you more time to appreciate them. It will burn your nasal passages though, and that can be very painful (though for me it was mostly during the come down when it hurt, during the come up and the peak it seemed to numb them).

The only other thing I can think of is, try not to freak out if it feels like your soul is being ripped out of your body through the top of your head, or if it feels like your heart has stopped beating. That's normal. :D

Enjoy the ride, and good luck!

Last edited:
I think DMT is more like N20 in the way it hits you than Salvia. With DMT there is a real lift off for me -- with Salvia, the world is suddenly, inexplicably different. I didn't so much feel a journey, and smoked DMT is a definite journey. With Salvia I don't even realize I'm tripping until I start to come down.

It might be more effective to prepare for breakthrough DMT by taking a lower dose (as people above said, this will probably happen anyway as you figure out the logistics of vaporizing it). With a low dose I can feel the rush of it taking hold; the energy/anxiety; I can have light visuals with eyes closed and then feel a euphoric afterglow (And a few more minutes still of yellow-tinted vision). A breakthrough dose follows a similar trajectory but with more fuel you bust through the veil and into infinity.

I advise not being under the influence of other psychedelics when you try DMT for the first time. Other psychedelics can potentiate it and it could be too strong and lasts much longer than on its own. (Down the road though, LSD peak + DMT wow)

I think it's important to take a moment to center yourself before you take your first hit. If I have lots of thoughts and worries I try to recognize and release them. I visualize DMT takeoff like pushing off from the side of a pool with my feet while swimming laps. Or like I'm surfing and I have to let the wave come up under me and push me forward. I think it's important to feel like you are willing and welcoming DMT.

Pretty much the same as travelling into space but without the physical limitations.

So in other words no. The only way you can prepare is by strapping yourself in, although if you've done ayahuasca it won't be as earth shattering, you'll have at least some sort of idea of what to expect.

I actually had better success with snorting it. You'll need about twice as much this way, 80-100mg. And the visuals will unfold a little more slowly, giving you more time to appreciate them. It will burn your nasal passages though, and that can be very painful (though for me it was mostly during the come down when it hurt, during the come up and the peak it seemed to numb them).

Snorting it left me with two vicious red alkali burns under each nostril. Avoid at all costs.

DMT is so beautiful, often times I find its impossible whilst entering into hyper-space, to feel any negative effects. I usually am so dumfounded and entranced by the pure beauty of what Im seeing. Don't run away from your nervousness, embrace it. Its normal to feel butterflies before venturing out into the DMT-space. The first time I went I had major preflight anxiety...then I tried it and the moment I came down I burst into hilarious laughter at how I could ever have feared something so amazing and full of warmth and love.

Load 70mg in the apparatus, sit in a manner which you find comfortable, meditate for a moment on what yo are about to to and thanks the universe that you are so blessed to have been given and opportunity to experience such states of being. Then smoke your dose in three hits. Each being breathed deep and held in for as long as possible.
Don't stress my friend, its so amazing :]

also i plan on smoking it out of a lightbulb, sort of like heroin or crystal meth, since i cannot find a freebase pipe. would this work better or worse than simply loading it into a hash pipe and firing it up? ive had good results with lightbulbs while smoking other substances.

Snorting it left me with two vicious red alkali burns under each nostril. Avoid at all costs.

Once, only once, I plugged DMT freebase. I had a lot of trouble sitting down for a few days afterwards...

Honestly theres not really much that will prepare you for your first blastoff on dmt but maybe meditate for bit before you hit it and just the usual good setting good music like you would for any psycedelic. It will probably be the coolest thing youve ever experienced so have fun!

I'd worry about getting it to work first of all - I imagine your first dozen or so attempts won't work anyway.

If you found ayahuasca comfortable I can't see smoked DMT being a problem. People say all sorts of daft shit about ayahuasca too, but I've always found DMT a very friendly psychedelic.

Why would it take a dozen attempts to make it work? I broke through my first time smoking DMT. Seems like if the dose is right, you smoke the material right and inhale fully and hold it in it has to work. I'd say 30 or 40 mg, smoked without weed (I hate mixing DMT and weed, even though I'm a pothead) all in one hit and held in as long as possible and you'll probably break through.

I love ayahuasca but find smoked DMT to be absolutely fucking terrifying, reliably. I've always found ayahuasca to be smooth and comfortable- clear headed, beautiful and natural feeling, like an extension of normal consciousness in a way. I've always found DMT to be a very friendly psychedelic in any ROA except IV or smoked. Smoked DMT is very, very harsh to me though.

DMT, as soon as I smoke it I get washed with overwhelming waves of fear and anxiety, I'm experienced (probably 50-150 smoked DMT trips) and clear headed enough to look at the fear as what it is (drug induced nonsense), but I still feel horribly uncomfortable for the duration of the trip.

Smoked DMT is too much, too fast for my tastes. It's so quick that I take very little away from it and hits so hard and fast that I can't avoid the anxiety. Plus it just makes me feel bad.

So for some people, ayahuasca= no problem and smoked DMT= terror.

Anyway, I personally don't know of any way to prepare for DMT. Reality will shift entirely, just be ready for one hell of a strong trip. If you feel bad during the trip, just think to yourself "It's only a drug making me feel bad, it'll be over in 5 minutes or less" and allow the drug to take you. Resistance is futile.

I don't think salvia will really prepare you, I find the onset of salvia just as sudden and terrifying as the onset of DMT. But YMMV. Most people consider salvia much more unpleasant than DMT.

DMT is really, really, really cool shit, and imo it's not as hard to handle as people say it is. The main problem is that smoking DMT hits you very, very fast and very, very hard. So just be ready to be as high or higher than you've ever been within a few seconds of exhaling.

DMT is one of my favorite psychedelics. The first time i smoke it i just sandwiched like 50mg between some weed and that was fucking incredible. never experienced anything like that before. but vapeing it will yield more active DMT than the sandwich method.

it didnt work :( i went through 200 mgs and even snorted 80mg of that, and all it did was burn my right nostril to the point where 4 hours later its still burning. i got some MXE though