• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Pregabalin - great addiction

Lyrica gets me high too, and I'm nowhere close to the monster doses you're mentioning. I take 100mg and feel much better within an hour, up it to 150-200mg and it makes me happy, energetic, creative and I stop worrying about what's fucking wrong with the world, which is nice.

It doesn't go through your liver, as someone mentioned earlier, but rather through your kidneys. I've searched far and wide on the web to find any long term adverse effects on your body but the only thing I can find is a slight addiction.

To all of you who say you stop taking it and experience withdrawals - it's very important that you take it slow, lower your dose gradually for a period of at least six weeks until you're down to 50-100mg a day before finally kicking it completely. I've quit once and it was OK but to be honest I just prefer life when I'm on Lyrica, so I'm back on it.

compared to benzos?
can't get lyrica only gabapentin.
how long addcition take i use gabapentin to help with benzo withdrawals
i taking clonaz as well
they have incomplete cross tolerance and withdrawal from one is alleviated by the other. AKA if you're using gabapentin or pregabalin to get off benzos, you aren't "truly" quitting because they influence similar receptors. it'll make it a lot easier, but it will still prolong the withdrawal. it's basically a stepping stone off the benzos, a taper using another drug
It doesn't go through your liver, as someone mentioned earlier, but rather through your kidneys. I've searched far and wide on the web to find any long term adverse effects on your body but the only thing I can find is a slight addiction.
peripheral swelling / edema seems to be a nasty side effect, i imagine it's only a real problem at higher doses

Lyrica doesent exactly get me high (atleast not nearly as good as opiates, cocaine, certain benzos or amphetamines) but it does produce a altered state that is pleasurable for some. Also im pretty sure it doesent treat that many addictions or really any succesfully. It's not much different then gabapentin in it's action.

It did for me.....
A close friend from my old unit is also using it to help kick his oxycodone habit, and the last time I talked to him (yesterday), he told me it's helping a LOT.

Lyrica is a blessing for those of us with chronic-pain and/or fibromyalgia. That it also helps with w/d's, even better.

Yes, it can get some people high (subjectively), but tolerance is built rather rapidly the more it's taken, and once the body will only absorb so much, then renal system just excretes excess as unchanged drug. It still habituates/alters brain function after prolonged use/abuse, and some form of w/d's are to be expected. But taking massive amounts of any drug and then stopping suddenly is..... reckless.

I am on 3600mgs of gabapentin and it is not helping with my pain at all.. i havent slept in three days since they increased my dose. I used to take it 1200 a day for anxiety. But my pcp thinks i have raynauds (circulatory) I also take kpins and adderall but I don't think they are doing any damage. I can't even feel the kpins at night. I can't lie down cause my back is killing me. I am going to the ER like he said but I don't think they are just going to hand me pain pills..

Last edited:
they have incomplete cross tolerance and withdrawal from one is alleviated by the other. AKA if you're using gabapentin or pregabalin to get off benzos, you aren't "truly" quitting because they influence similar receptors. it'll make it a lot easier, but it will still prolong the withdrawal. it's basically a stepping stone off the benzos, a taper using another drug

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm about to go through a benzo taper and I'm looking for something I can use during withdrawal...

So Lyrica can ease the withdrawal symptoms? Is there more information on this somewhere? I'm sure that Lyrica is easier to get off of than Klonopin...

funny magical should bring up this thread today, as Ive just ordered a stackload of gabapentin in the hope it'll help withdraw from not one particular opiate (atm its DHC, tramadols and poppy pods alongside valium) but my tolerance to all of them which at the moment is ridiculous.. I know gabapentins the old shitier version of lyrica but Ive also once took a very decent recreational dose of lyrica and can attest to the drunken benzo-oppish high it can give,,, hope it does more harm than good,, but should also mention what first drew me to gaba based products was as a supplement to a serious anxiety disorder I have had for ages (take mirtazapine, propranolol on scrip with the drs accepting I take valium non script when needed)
Will keep you posted on the gabapentin

Well, my experience is that Lyrica is way more addictive then neruotin.

I got Chronic neurotic pain cause some of the pillows thing between the joints from c1-c7 is leaking and dropping "chuncks" into my nerve's.

Anyway I have been on a monster dose on neruotin(4600 ish) and quieted on a day, no build down. The withdraw was nothing much just a day I felt funny. Lyrica on the other hand I used to take 2400-3000 a day really fuckt me up when I tried to quit. After 3 days with no sleep and no appetite I gave up and started to try to take it down bit by bit but this is hard tolerance it to high.

oh god ive been through lyrica withdrawal. shit was so bad dude. i detoxed off of it in the hospital and the whole time i thought i was gonna die in the hospital and i thought all the people in the hospital were being controlled by demons. i was pretty much psychotic the whole time. i gave up after 2 weeks and went on gabapentin. now im on 1800 mg of gaba and i have to go through the nightmare withdrawal once again. the thing is the gabapentin isnt even making me feel better so im like gonna have to go through the withdrawal for nothing. im dreading it dude. you arent alone. i dont even fucking feel the neurontin. at least lyrica made me feel good. i hear it only lasts 10 days but everything takes longer for me. ive been in benzo withdrawal for 7 months...

Well, my experience is that Lyrica is way more addictive then neruotin.

I got Chronic neurotic pain cause some of the pillows thing between the joints from c1-c7 is leaking and dropping "chuncks" into my nerve's.

Anyway I have been on a monster dose on neruotin(4600 ish) and quieted on a day, no build down. The withdraw was nothing much just a day I felt funny. Lyrica on the other hand I used to take 2400-3000 a day really fuckt me up when I tried to quit. After 3 days with no sleep and no appetite I gave up and started to try to take it down bit by bit but this is hard tolerance it to high.

The withdrawals i have gotten from both gabapentin and lyrica basically consist of feeling like my nerves are really overactive. Increased sensitivity to pain to the point where if something just hits my arm slightly it sends shocks down it, feeling jittery unless i take other medications to help, a sorta flu like feeling if things get really bad, etc. I'm currently on 3200mg's of gabapentin a day for trigeminal neuralgia an d i consider that a pretty high dose actually and i don't like the idea of going above the recommended dose of 3600mg's a day.

I can't believe you where on 4600mg's of gabapentin a day wow thats like insane. The thing i really hate about gabapentin is that the 600 and 800mg pills are absolutely huge and i find it hard to swallow then especially a lot of them through out the day even. It's almost like eating a whole meal 8(

I do agree that lyrica withdrawal is worse but since i'm trying to get on that now it will be worth is as a trade off.

lyrica withdrawal is probably worse for people like me with anxiety disorders. also my brain was still damaged from coming off benzos too fast. i dont notice much with gabapentin in helping my benzo withdrawal at all, nor my current suboxone withdrawal. im not sure why. i guess increasing my dose will only fuck me when i try to get off. plus i gotta get off of it if i ever wnat a girlfriend because i have ZERO sex drive on it./ gabapentin is just as bad as lyrica in the no libido department.

Lyrica withdrawal is absolute hell, as it seems most people on here already know.
I found myself on a family holiday in Kula Lumpur when my script ran out, I didn't think it would be a problem because i hadn't been without it for over a year.
At the time i was taking 750mg a day. The second day without it i found myself unable to move from the hotel bed. Flu like symptoms that had me pouring with sweat and terrible diorreah.
Add vomiting to the mix and i couldn't decide which end to point at the toilet :(
I ended up going to the hotel doctor and as if by some kind of freaking miracle, the dude had a mug on his desk with LYRICA printed on it.
I told him i had run out and needed it desperately. He happily wrote me a script cos he could see how much i was suffering.
Not fun at all.
So when i got home from the holiday i decided to taper off VERY slowly. Every 2 weeks i would take 75mg less, all the way down to zero. Still ended up with some minor WD's at the end, but nothing like i experienced in KL.
Definately a drug to be careful with.

Well going off any anti-convulsant cold turkey is dangerous. Even with ones such as valproate (epival, depakote, epilem, etc) and carbamazepine (tegretol) your still risking a seizure especially if you are on any medications that are pro convulsant. Such as meperidine/pethidine (demerol), tramadol, bupropion (wellbutrin, zyban), tricyclic anti-depressants, meprobamate and soma, and a whole slew of other meds as well.

But the withdrawal of lyrica and gabapentin more resembles benzo withdrawal then these other anti-convulsants many of which are used for a lot of the same purposes as lyrica and gabapentin.

I had (and still continue occassionally, even three months after being off the drug) horrible, horrible, experiences whilst on Pregabalin that mainly occured at night time. I was on 100mg two times a day, prescribed by a psychiatrist for my intense anxiety. I couldn't understand for the life of me why anyone would volunteer for this but it really sounds like quite a few people have better experiences on it.

It's weird because most of the time I would be ok during the day (though I also had a selection of varying mildish other effects- tiredness, lethargy, urinary incontinence, very dry mouth, tight jaw) but during the night I would experience things that I was convinced (in my distress) were going to finish me off.

A typical account would start with myself feeling a nasty unsettled jumpiness towards the late evening, where it felt unbearable to be startled, & I would be startled very easily. Even footsteps past my window would jolt my insides horribly, and make me jerk my body very violently in response- I'd feel like whatever noise it was, was almost hurting my organs. I'd get into bed but even the mattress would feel like it was bruising me, the sheets would feel horrible against my skin- I just generally had a very increased physical sensitivity. My boyfriend would simply turn around in bed & the movement & noise would be so uncomfortable for me I'd be trying not to cry. My muscles felt extremely tight. I would feel feverish, incredibly thirsty, my hands would be prickly and bone dry. My limbs would ocassionally go numb as well.

Then the even worse part would start, where I'd be drifting off, and just as my body registered what was happening properly- BANG- I'd wake straight up again with more of that horrible jumpy feeling. This would be combined with deafening sleep audio hallucinations- crashes, shrill screams, or like nails down a blackboard, and it felt like a sinister plan to rob me of my hearing. Sometimes I'd hear a woman bellow something like "You did this" or "You know what's next" and the noise would again go right into my insides as I jolted awake. I'd also see neon or otherwise very very bright and blinding images of horrible scenes of torture and depravity flashing before my eyes, or close ups of faces contorted in agony, and they'd almost felt like they were merging into me and affecting me in many ways that were beyond my comprehension. Other days I'd get sleep paralysis- I've had this whilst off drugs but this was even more intense and with a different slant.

For the rare times when I could stay asleep feeling this ill without being jolted awake I would have the most horrible intrusive and vivid dreams. One of them was that I'd introduced my little brother to acid and he never came back from a trip, and I sort of went through the grief process in my sleep. I woke up sobbing, shaking and told my previously sleeping boyfriend what I thought I'd done, whilst wandering around blindly in the dark. I still believed something must have happened to my brother for about 2 days.

I felt like all this was going to kill me. I jut knew it was going to get worse and all this stuff felt like it had the most alarming power. Never again!

I also find it strange that something that is commonly used to treat fybromyalgia would have an effect on me that seemed in part to be similar to fybromyalgia symptoms.

Last edited:
Ketobemidone... Is that prescribed in Europe mostly? I've never seen it in the states and only heard of it because of this web site really.
Keto is considered by experts to be the most addicting opioid if I remember correctly. It's sometimes used in conjunction with methadone because of it's ability to "penetrate" the barrier methadone places on the mu receptors. Some say the rush blows everything (including dilaudid) out of the water. I wish I could have gotten the opportunity to try it but would not like to have to undergo the unfortunate circumstances to have it prescribed.

^Not triggering at all. I almost got to try this stuff back in 04. Glad I didn't.. Especially because:
"while for morphine the dose for euphoria is the same as that for analgesia, for ketobemidone the analgesic dose was well below the euphoric dose"
This is a sure-fire recipe for an absurd OD

No thanks.
---

So I am detoxing off methadone 30mg and did loperamide for about four days - kratom four about five days - 400mg Gabapentin and 100mg Pregabalin twice daily for about five days. I am wondering how long it takes to get a addicted for I dont want the wd I have been reading about (makes me want to switch back to kratom). I was wondering if anyone knows a timeline to get addicted (roughly).

Hi Man, good question howlong it takes before you become dependent to somehting like lyrica, because by now i think i use the stuff in a 900 mg a day dose for a year and a half i roughly guess so you would think i am very dependent to lyrica, but some days ago i decided to take 'only' 600 mg a day so what happens here when there is no withdrawal, luckily, while in fact i think i feel better on 600 mg only a dose i take in one go instead of minimally two times a day dosing with a med having only a 6 hour halflifetime.

You dont hear me complain obviously, but i read in another lyrica thread that for some people reducing their dose of lyrica somewhat already results in withdrawals and yes for those people who started lyrica to treat anxiety problems i think the withdrawal in such a case is worse compared to having no anxiety issues like myself.

I wonder what happens if i dont take those 600 mg while basically i should be in withdrawal with the last dose taken almost 24 hours ago, but there is nothing like that so i like it to take lyrica combined with my 160 mg methadone dose, some benzo and some seroquel. Lyrica can do really good jobs for as well opiate as well benzo withdrawal, but if you are lyrica dependent and be in WD without it then taking an opiate or a benzo wont make you feel better sure you can knock yourself out using whatever you have to wake up at some point or else you cant sleep at all as that is a symptom from lyrica WD.

I think a good way to get rid of lyrica is to lower it slow enough and at the same time to use something else in a higher dose so i think low potency neuroleptics can be quite helpful here like i found out months ago without lyrica, but with enough substance like levomepromazine can be useful or else chlorprotixene is the one i would take if ever needed.

Your question about howlong it takes to become lyrica dependent i simply have no idea, because i read about people who take lyrica for three months then stop it and already report withdrawals whereas i also read about people who use lyrica for a year or longer then stop it without much if any problems so maybe its reasonable to say that dependency can occur behind about six months rather high lyrica doses(1200 mg a day) or behind a year using lower doses or else never, but i can tell you one thing for sure and that is that its always best to use something as short as possible, especially when this 'something' may have dependency causing properties.
Looking at what you try to end makes me think using lyrica about a month and to consider by then if you really need it, but its safe to assume that behind one month no lyrica dependency will occur.

Lyrica potentiates the hell out of benzo's and also out of opiates in a lesser extent, but these facts make lyrica extremely useful for when you like to end a benzo habit or to help opiate withdrawals there is one thing left not to forget about and that is if you ever felt the lyrica buzz, i loved it, then dont try to chase that buzz it wont happen also not at 3 gram + doses so respect this substance else it will fuck you over, but take it as prescribed as of about 450 mg a day and it can work wonders for anxiety and also for depression. They say that lyrica 'poops out' rather fast and yes maybe so for when it comes to anxiety, but then if it happens that in two months you find your lyrica not so active anymore also not at the highest therapeuthic dose then not taking it for say a week then when you start it again your chances that it will work well again are high. Excuse me for typo's in english i dont use a spellchecker and english is not my native language, dutch is.
Regards, Freek.

Your question about howlong it takes to become lyrica dependent i simply have no idea, because i read about people who take lyrica for three months then stop it and already report withdrawals whereas i also read about people who use lyrica for a year or longer then stop it without much if any problems so maybe its reasonable to say that dependency can occur behind about six months rather high lyrica doses(1200 mg a day) or behind a year using lower doses or else never, but i can tell you one thing for sure and that is that its always best to use something as short as possible, especially when this 'something' may have dependency causing properties.
Looking at what you try to end makes me think using lyrica about a month and to consider by then if you really need it, but its safe to assume that behind one month no lyrica dependency will occur.

Thank you for your quick reply! My main language is english and you probably spell better than me.lol

That was my plan so that helps tremendously. I have been off my methadone for two and a half weeks :) and when I started my Lyrica about five days ago I felt 80-90% normal except the first dose got me high as a kite (made me feel like I messed up my sobriety. The next day I had no side effects but I felt almost normal (whatever that means).

My plan is to take it for about another three weeks to combat my withdrawal and PAWS. I am going to continue to get scripted and save them because I am going to quit my benzo habbit next.

Thank you so much your information was very helpful!!

-KICKIT

Last edited:
Get off the damn lyrica immediately is my advice I was foolish enough to use it's sister drug gabapentin for subutex withdrawal and after that I've suffered 230 days of physical and mental withdrawal from the stupid gabapentin, waaaaay longer and worse than the subutex would have ever made me suffer. I only used the gabapentin for 4 weeks so if you're unlucky you won't get away with 3 weeks or whatever you're planning to use the pills for.

This drug is so fucking not worth it, withdrawal is way worse than both benzos and opiates.

I've been through benzo withdrawal 3 times, I'll get through it again if I have too.

I've been through opiate withdrawal a dozen times, I'll get through it again if I have too.

I'm currently going through gabapentin withdrawal but if I had to go through the first few months again I'd just pick up my gun and end it.

^ Thank you for the infomation. I quit my Gabapentin today and my Lyrica because I was affraid of that. I dont want to switch one addiction for another.