• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

^ i like planet earth in the distance reflected in the eye of the flower. trying to figure if that is suppose be on the surface of the moon tho ? clean.

Rosa Verloop
tumblr_mp02iw6xOW1qax6tdo1_540.jpg

tumblr_mp02iw6xOW1qax6tdo2_500.jpg

Caravaggio-Judith-Beheading-Holofernes-1534-detail-865x577.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravaggio

My favorite renaissance style artist. Caravaggio was a really interesting guy as well. Alot of controversy, alot of duels, killing, prostitutes, etc. even though he was an extremely popular artist regularly employed by churches. The podcast "History On Fire" did a 3 episode thing on his life and it was suuuper interesting.

Last edited:
I used to have a book of Carravaggios work. Mesmerising. I'd use it for inspiration in my own works at the time.

Nice.

idk if it would be a mindfuck or kinda cool to have a bedroom to look like this irl

i'm not a huge fan of this kin of (conceptualish if not Conceptualist) stuff but this is actually pretty cool
the polar opposite of ceci n'est un pipe! (just like this image, quantum-like, simultaneously true and false, but in opposite ways)

also reminiscent of the "beer" beer in Repo Man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravaggio

My favorite renaissance style artist. Caravaggio was a really interesting guy as well. Alot of controversy, alot of duels, killing, prostitutes, etc. even though he was an extremely popular artist regularly employed by churches. The podcast "History On Fire" did a 3 episode thing on his life and it was suuuper interesting.

this (and Caravaggio) are favorites of mine too, though often on the dark side in subject-matter, but as an artist in general what he does with light and darkness (both literally and metaphorically) are amazing … Judith is not looking like a passive, innocent, virginal type, which she wasn't (she was widowed in war, then seduced and plyed with drink the commander of the forces that killed her husband) … the light and presentation of her face suggest some purity in her but she is so hardened to the task at hand, revenge ... the maid next to her just looks on … both of these women have been traumatized by war, in a climate of political instability (much like that part of the world today) … despite Judith's clothes, hair, attractive features, and ample bosom, there's not much of the feminine here at all … and Holofernes in agony contrasts with the two fairly expressionless women, inured perhaps to the violence in there world; gender-roles upturned by trauma and the brutality of internecine warfare … one thinks of today's Peshmerga Woman's Brigade, or the resistance of the Yazidi down to man, woman, and child; or even female suicide-bombers, women soldiers in the Zionist army, Jeanne d'Arc, all sorts of situations like ths

I don't know too much about the man (Caravaggio) though but do know he did have somewhat of a scandalous reputation. makes me want to look stuff up on him now. probably will turn into another 2 hour wiki wandering session lol

12439217_1072513756134810_4615705119241739201_n.jpg

I feel Chiara on a lot of days, but tonight I needed a good cry to vent some frustration. Her panels usually do it for me. But I particularly like this sketch right now because it's a question that's been heavy on my mind lately...

pieter-bruegel-the-elder-the-hunters-in-the-snow-1565.jpg

Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Hunters in the Snow (1565), Oil on Panel 46.06 x 63.78cm, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna

^ i spent thousands of hours playing guild wars 2. ^ that instantly reminded me of one of the snowy maps. like the more i look at it, the more it looks like an mmo. tbh blazed af rn. i dig it.

this speaks to me.

http://www.cristinaburns.com/

tumblr_oj9n6pX8hz1r064gzo1_1280.gif

Pretty much all of the Rosetti (and pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood in general) paintings of women.

800px-Lady-Lilith.jpg

Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1866-68, 1872-73), Lady Lilith oil on canvas, 38.0 x 33.5 in

beautiful, colours are so vibrant.

i found a new artist today, edmund dulac

Edmund_Dulac_-_The_Mermaid_-_The_Prince.jpg

c836b6e16e51dbb6f22a1ff8d5c22789.jpg

strongly feeling his style, he does great illustration art for fairytales

Last edited:
^ Reminds me of Mucha.

SKL, we can agree on art if not much else. Love that Bruegel piece.

I fell in love with Andy Kehoe's work after seeing some of his resin paintings in an exhibition. Ended up buying a print, which 6 months on is still making me happy every day that I look at it :)

Cathedral of the Forest Deep:

Andy-Kehoe-Cathedral-Of-The-Forest-Deep.jpg

^^ I really like his stuff, too. I bought a print for my godson last year. Was actually going to choose that one you have but ended up going with this one:

The+Hunter.jpg

Shambles says that he loves them both and they'd look amazing side by side. I prefer the blue print. It's serene and tranquil. The red print, although to most might suggest a more autumnal feel, I see it as fire, a sense of danger and foreboding. They are both beautiful in their own rights but I'd much prefer the blue print to gaze upon daily.

Shambles says that he loves them both and they'd look amazing side by side. I prefer the blue print. It's serene and tranquil. The red print, although to most might suggest a more autumnal feel, I see it as fire, a sense of danger and foreboding. They are both beautiful in their own rights but I'd much prefer the blue print to gaze upon daily.

Shambles is right, they would work wonderfully well next to each other.

I actually went to the shop to buy the Blue one but got captivated by the red, and figured the kid would prefer it. Not sure which he would have preferred but he loves the red one so all good.

VEqrCFG.gif

I discovered a book of Aubrey Beardsley's work at my Dad's in my early teens and loved the illustrations. As well as his style of drawing, a lot of the subject matter appealed to my dark, gothy, weird self. I also loved that I could look at 'rude' pictures like this as a 12/13ish year old & it was ok, because it was art!
nOtxkgnl.jpg

My Dad gave me the book which I still have & look at occasionally.
The front woman in the first picture is me when I've got a scowl on & I'm telling someone off