• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

^ I have that hanging on my desk, next to a 3 legged dog and that crippled President Eisenhower in his wheelchair.

This is a play by Sam Beckett which currently holds the Guinness world record for shortest play. It's about 35 seconds long, and when I first scene it I was like ... "ya, ... that's me ... you got it ... I am the new Fuhrer of Cuba."

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Seeing hot air balloons always makes me happy!
me too!
xvzGZBO.jpg

Futile%20Cleaning%20of%20that%20Pesky%20Human%20Stain.jpg

William Harris, Futile Cleaning of that Pesky Human Stain, ink on linen, 40x30"

[Harris] says; “My painting Futile Cleaning portrays individuals covering, cleaning, and blotting out the light that shines upon them. It's based on some artistic aspirations of Ad Reinhardt, who said, My painting represents the victory of the forces of darkness and peace over the powers of light and evil … With his intentions and work in mind, my painting sheds light on one way we seek to discard the human element - trying to block out and cover up any light that shines on it.” He is turning the abstract painter Ad Reinhart, famed for claiming that he was “making the last paintings anyone could paint” on his head! He is telling a reportedly great and famous artist, in a sophisticated way only another painter can; “Jamb It!” Yet, does anyone notice? Is anyone buying Williams work for six figures? Not yet, but hey the guy is only 31, still young for an artist of serious artistic ambition.

Floyd Alsbach, Stuckist Painter and Critic, On Conservative Culture and the Arts

Last edited:
My painting represents the victory of the forces of darkness and peace over the powers of light and evil
first part sounds backwards.. darkness conquers light although peace conquers evil

it's great that the artist is equating darkness with peace, and light with evil. if that's what is meant. the quote is extremely confusing and i'm not sure if the artist is calling the human element evil -- which is the only interpretation i can come up with that makes the quote coherent -- but it's a pleasant change to not equate darkness with evil.

edit:
looking at the painting, i'm feeling more confident in my interpretation. while i don't agree that the human element is indeed evil, the fashion industry sends a similar message. society -- on one level -- demonizes vanity, materialism, valuing the external, youth sexuality, etc. the way those qualities are demonized is by labeling them an evil that is outside of humans, but that can invade (e.g. the devil). high fashion says, "oh yeah? that's not you? then try to quit consuming what your fellow human exudes." though that doesn't mean that humans are evil. means evil and good might be more ambiguous than society likes to present.

great find, SKL.

Last edited:
My painting represents the victory of the forces of darkness and peace over the powers of light and evil

The way that I read this is: darkness and peace means that we can pacify the world, create a peaceful, but totalitarian and unenlightened society, unquestioning of authority, uninquisitive in general; or we can be aware of ourselves and each other, but this necessarily involves the evils that humanity has always experienced. Of course these are two extremes, but there's a lot to be said for our society heading towards the former—mesmerized and pacified by popular entertainments, strong and coercive laws, and such to the detriment of human nature, which is fundamentally evil (in the Christian sense, or in any sense that you want to take it, that humanity has throughout it's history been marked by wars and other evils) but also has "light," whereby we can enlighten ourselves and do other than evil; whereas in the society of "darkness and peace" we have lost the "light" for the sake of a permanent peace, sacrificing our true nature, with it's infinite possibilities (see Genesis 3, "the tree of knowledge of good and evil" was the "apple" that Adam and Eve ate, giving them the dual nature of mankind that we have today) and free will. Without that, we may have peace, but not humanity.

sounds more interesting than the common interpretation which is now a well-worn cliche. the painting could pass as late 1800's realism.

The way that I read this is: darkness and peace means that we can pacify the world, create a peaceful, but totalitarian and unenlightened society, unquestioning of authority, uninquisitive in general; or we can be aware of ourselves and each other, but this necessarily involves the evils that humanity has always experienced.
i'm convinced. gets rid of darkness being presented as a positive, but so it goes. and a much better message. yay humanity.

tumblr_o9lwqa3rKs1qhczg1o1_540.jpg

sally mann photographed by her father, robert s. munger, with his leica -- her first camera.

i'm feeling this photo because she's famous for her work behind the camera yet she was photogenic herself. which i knew was the case from photos of her in early adulthood -- including self-portraits -- but reading Hold Still is the first time i've seen photos of her as a child. lots of people are good looking and smart, but she is genius and to be so pretty as well is wild. those are some eyes, even in low-res b&w. scanned from Hold Still, where it is unfortunately printed only a few inches wide.

Last edited:
19yablonsky-ungovernables-slide-06X8-jumbo.jpg

i haven't been this in love since i watched the usa women olympic runners like a few hours ago. i'd say regardless.. paint/sculpture always catch a child like, pure, creative expression. nothing else, so that is quite nice cause sometimes you don't wanna trip out on something heavy... not always chess, sometimes checkers...

http://juliadault.com/

I was looking thru some old pics on my camera and came by some from when I was visiting Boston not too long ago and stopped by the lesser known DeCordova museum in Lincoln, MA (very historical, right next to Concord, looks now kinda like a mix of the deliberately quaint-colonial and wealthy suburb, I looked up the average house value or whatever and it's crazy, but I digress …) so the DeCordova museum focuses on sculpture, they have an indoor museum with various things, I was mainly there to check out the Lotti Jacobi amazing photographer active in the bohemian circles of New York, Paris, Berlin mid-century focusing on candid stuff …

▪▪▪​

hl.jpg

love the contrasted colors the silhouetted dog her almost Mona Lisa ambiguous three-quarters smile.

was a really cool exhibit, she was both very technically proficient and great at finding candid shots and setting them up (using a large format camera, looking down into the mirrors no less); Jacobi actually did a photograph of my grandfather who was a part of those bohemian circles (not on display of course but it was this family connection that drew me to it) but anyway amazing stuff you can find loads of it online

so that was cool; looking at their website some of their shit is hit or miss but there is definitely a lot of interesting stuff there temporarily or permanently

▪▪▪​

But one of the really interesting things about this museum is the permanent sculpture garden outside which is full of a lot of stuff that is just bizarre and enigmatic, but is cool and resonates, I'll riff a little bit about each one.

▪▪▪​

so smooth and polished yet so uncanny (in the Freudian sense), man and beast in a form definitively created painstakingly by man; this little form seems to capture so many little men we encounter day to day, a rat, we'd say as an insult, but perhaps ought to be said more sympathetically, trapped on a wheel; now looking at the viewer almost forlorn, as if begging, the shortened arms and legs not enough to extend a hand for help or offer one

tQPFKUp.jpg

▪▪▪​

the natural backdrop is sublime

RHu3aKw.jpg

▪▪▪​

more humanoid forms invoking simultaneous associations with trees, primitive tribal art and ritual, skeletal decay and yet organic overgrowth, writhing in pain, ecstasy, travail, mystical, occult transformation? the wicker man, or, in modern Internet lore, slender-man, said to have inspired killings? (long after this sculpture was done and not directly related but speaking to collective unconscious images and fantasies)

vuj4C0w.jpg

▪▪▪​

toying with and appropriating classical forms but subverting them in medium, gesture, and overall gestalt; gesture seems to say, come, yet stay away, a common pathology in human relationships and in society in general in how we interact with one another individually and en masse

hqbHgj6.jpg

▪▪▪​

surrealistic, inactive, impossible machines still infused with a menace of violence, rusting, left to decay, like the tanks of the Afrikakorps after Rommel was routed, dark and foreboding visions of the wars of the last century and the anxieties that followed, tanks and bombs and nuclear holocaust, yet harkening back somehow also to a more optimistic Futurism antedating the Great War … with Nature itself providing the judgment on the wisdom of this approach by its exogenous contribution to the artwork in the form of oxidation, another reference back to decay and death and inevitable (and eternal?) return

Xshyxc3.jpg

▪▪▪​

the photos are gone but the sculpture garden is permanent and has much more stuff

if you're in Boston/Cambridge area I'd recommend it. with a little bit of a walk through a particularly quaint part of the town (after the strip mall and school) it's accessible by public transit too or from Boston like a 20 minute ride by car maybe idk

meant to post this back sometime in September but I did now and here it is

call it a sculpture trip report

Last edited:
o my. thanks for sharing the trip report. i'm just waking up taking a quick look, going to really "study" it once i get some coffee :)

unfortunately at the time I did not write down the sculptors names years media etc. I suspect they are all on the website and if I have time may insert them

SKL said:
so smooth and polished yet so uncanny (in the Freudian sense), man and beast in a form definitively created painstakingly by man; this little form seems to capture so many little men we encounter day to day, a rat, we'd say as an insult, but perhaps ought to be said more sympathetically, trapped on a wheel; now looking at the viewer almost forlorn, as if begging, the shortened arms and legs not enough to extend a hand for help or offer one
ha, did you photoshop the face? impressive critique! u mad?

photos as taken, untouched

glad you enjoyed my critiques (dare I think this means my college art history classes were worth more than that one slim gothic type chick with the very short dark hair and big blue eyes? ;))

not sure what I'm mad about?

thanks for comments and appreciation though both
there are so many of these little museums all over the country in random places (apart from a place in Revolutionary War era history, this town could hardly be less significant) that contain real nuggets of gold and treasures sometimes by people you've never heard of and the odd lesser known work by a bigger name
a trip thru New England, where they abound, documenting some of the more interesting obscure pieces and writing little paragraphs about them might be a really cool exercise

SKL said:
not sure what I'm mad about?
oh no, semi-sarcasm. i just thought your analysis had a 'cuts like a knife' quality. meanwhile; found this little bugger (add commentary later)

Mushroomer: artist Victoria Chichinadze

9OwuUPG.jpg

Last edited: