European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Post pics of your book collection here?

mydrugbuddy

Bluelighter
Sorry if this thread is more than a little geeky, but Im always interested to see other peoples book collections. I used to read far more than I do now, used to get through 3 or 4 books a month as a teenager iirc. I struggle with concentration currently, so you may notice a definite oldness to most of the titles. Of course a good book never really becomes old. Books can be quite timeless.

Does anyone else have any of the same books as me?

Part of it. Fucking ceilings!

NuXP0ql.jpg

here is my discreet book collection, i have a fuckton of Oreilly computing books in storage elsewhere. All my chemistry / pharma / psychology books are ebooks so no pictures im afraid. Also most of my albert camus and sartre, kafka etc are in storage too.

pretty predictable huh? :p

Last edited:
Sammy G, couldn't you have stacked / heaped your books so that the titles can be seen? Could be nothing but Mills and Boon for all we know.:D

Some interesting drugs books there Ceres, otherwise you seem to have your favourites and get everything that author's published? There's nothing wrong with that, if you can find a writer you like that much. Ive never yet found a writer whose every book i've liked, apart from Poppy Brite and Michale Marshall Smith, but they hadn't published that many, last time i looked. I guess my collection is pretty run of the mill too.

Last edited:
If it's geeky I don't care. Jealous of all of these tbh, especially the copy of PIHKAL because the rabbit ate the cover of mine :( All my books are all over the place at the moment, some are in drawers in the bedroom, a lot are on shelves in the spare room, and some are stacked in the kitchen cos we're reorganising the house. Cannot fucking wait to re-do the spare room and turn it into a mini library fort. I've just got a Kindle Fire and downloaded a hell of a lot of their free books and a few I've been after for a while as well but can't really replace dead trees imo.

This thread is for Luddites only, Josh :p

I would post mine but I keep them on top of my wardrobe and I recently knocked half of them down the back of it when flipping my mattress. Besides, I haven't actually read all of them. Ulysses has been taunting me for about a year now. I was a bit too ambitious.

Probably the greatest novel ever, Don. Believe the hype. Just don't try to fathom anything like a plot, at least on the first read. It is there though.

MDB: Aye, Mills & Boon, plus a few Catherine Cookson. Busted!

This thread is for Luddites only, Josh :p

People usually harp on about how it's not the same, real books feel better, the smell etc.

Well, tbh I agree. But I also like the fact it doesn't weigh anything, I can read it in the dark, and can carry thousands of books around with me.

I have plenty of real books but they're all in boxes in my parent's garage, no space for them here and not strong enough to lift the box last time I moved.

Everyone should own and read PIHKAL and TIHKAL too, so much more than just recipe books <3 (probably preaching to the choir here I guess ;) )

Probably the greatest novel ever, Don. Believe the hype. Just don't try to fathom anything like a plot, at least on the first read. It is there though.

I'd wanted to tackle it for quite a while and, when I finished the 'A Song Of Ice and Fire' series, it looked suitably chunky to keep me occupied for a while as I was awaiting for the next in the series. I've got plenty of time on my hands at the moment so it would be a perfect time if my mood wasn't so geared towards easy mastication :|

Josh - I've gone through a lot of the two books online but actual physical copies would definitely take pride of place on the shelf. I have nothing against books in electronic format. I've never owned a kindle-type device but have read a few books online. I actually found that I read them a lot quicker that way, when there were no page numbers.

Josh - I've gone through a lot of the two books online but actual physical copies would definitely take pride of place on the shelf.

Are the actual stories online anywhere? I thought it was just the recipes and notes online.

Aye? Is on my reading list for next semester, think I'll get to it over summer in that case. Read Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist... and loved them but only flicked through Ulysses/studied some passages which really seemed sort of pointless out of context in the case of a book like that.

Are the actual stories online anywhere? I thought it was just the recipes and notes online.

Ah right then, no I have only read the recipes and notes. I am ashamed to say I didn't know about all the stories :(

half the books are stories about tripping with his wife and friends, half are recipies and experience notes.

no-one noticed the HITLER book in my shelves, I'm dissapointed in you.

@mdb: i just particularly got into will self and once I started reading philip k dick I couldn't stop buying the books. JG ballard is standard, martin amis is a bit of a twat but some of his books are ok. I have some herman hesse penguin originals which I cherish.

I actually did notice it, but figured that it was obligatory to have at least one Hitler book..

Snapshot_20150803.jpg

Really excellent book, btw.

Ah right then, no I have only read the recipes and notes. I am ashamed to say I didn't know about all the stories :(

Definitely see if you can get a copy of them then :D PIHKAL is more biographical, alternating chapters by Sasha and Ann, whereas TIHKAL is more anecdotes, snippets and general thoughts on topics.

I should probably try to dig them out of the box next time I'm home at least, been a few years since I read them now.

My memory may be deceiving me but I think I recall reading that Sasha had been working on a new book based around non-tryptamine/phenethylamine drugs, such as Salvia, before he passed. I take it this was never finished, if it was even on the cards at all?

The only other book I know of is the Shulgin Index, which doesn't have any stories in it. I own this purely because there was a drive to sell it to raise funds for his medical care at some stage, it's completely useless to my non-chemistry oriented mind.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shulgin-Index-Volume-Phenethylamines/dp/096300963X

Edit: there are also some PDFs of his lab notebooks, which are quite interesting, but the trip report stuff is probably the same as what is published in P/TIHKAL

https://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/shulgin_labbooks/

haha nice one don luigi. here's mine

8q8vJwi.jpg

thinking of getting a stalin poster for my wall just to even things out.

the first half of PIHKAL talks about how shulgin got into psychedelics and his first experiences on mescaline and then his exploration of all the drugs he discovered / made.

afaik the last book he released was lab notes, but there is also The Shulgin Index, which I'd love to get a copy of.

I, embarrassingly, had a 5ft x 3ft Soviet flag adorning my wall for much of my teenage years :eek:

I ended up giving it to my History teacher for her Cold War wall displays. I doubt she ever put it up though, t'was maybe a bit taboo.