• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Post meth depression, any tips?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Or, emotional liability?

Damn I've done meth before but never experienced this kind of emotional flux.

I'm 48 hours removed from a 200 mg meth dose, highly irregular user.

Feels like I'm going to break down in tears or have a nervous breakdown.

Seroquel?

A dose of mirtazapine?

Any pointers?

Healthy food, exercise, water, rest and time.

That very emotionally charged deep depression is awful... but only time fixes it in my experience, just have to wait it out.

Treat your body nice, refuel it, and rest. You will return to normal.

More drugs/APs are not going to fix it, but will help you sleep.

L-tyrosine, 5-HTP, 30-45mg of dextromethorphan, sodium R-Alpha-Lipoic Acid, all might he helpful in varying degree or in varying combination.

More helpful is just time itself, sleep + food + physical activity

***looks like snafu beat me too it with similarly solid advice

Healthy food, exercise, water, rest and time.

That very emotionally charged deep depression is awful... but only time fixes it in my experience, just have to wait it out.

Treat your body nice, refuel it, and rest. You will return to normal.

More drugs/APs are not going to fix it, but will help you sleep.

How long does it typically take?

To return to normal?

And yes, it's horrible.

Your first major meth comedown is truly frightening. It is important to keep reminding yourself that what you are thinking and feeling is not normal you and just the effect of the meth. Keep telling yourself it won’t last forever and these temporary thoughts and feelings cannot hurt you.

Do your best to get back into a normal sleep pattern. If it is nighttime and you cannot sleep either stop trying and just breath slowly and deeply while listening to chill music or get up and do something distracting for few hours. MOST IMPORTANT - do not let yourself ruminate - do not fall into an obsessive thought loop. Meth makes you do both. Especially as you comedown.

If you are not in bed either sleeping or properly relaxing then you should be gently exercising (walking while listening to a podcast or audiobook to distract you is perfect) or doing some kind of mentally consuming activity.

Three days maximum and you’ll be fine.

PS: Based on a few of your posts I believe you’ve been an a pretty solid diet of stimulants for quite some time. If so, this crash is probably NOT attributable only to your most recent 200 mg meth dose…you might want to think about whether that is the case or not.

Also i might be stepping over some line here but maybe stimulants are not worth it for you.

As you may see the best advice is geared toward a healthy lifestyle and that doesn't include more 200mg doses of meth i think. Hardcore stimulant use will always bring a shitty comedown so maybe the life experience is the best cure really.

Again i don't want to be a fucking prick just sharing my thought.

Your first major meth comedown is truly frightening. It is important to keep reminding yourself that what you are thinking and feeling is not normal you and just the effect of the meth. Keep telling yourself it won’t last forever and these temporary thoughts and feelings cannot hurt you.

Do your best to get back into a normal sleep pattern. If it is nighttime and you cannot sleep either stop trying and just breath slowly and deeply while listening to chill music or get up and do something distracting for few hours. MOST IMPORTANT - do not let yourself ruminate - do not fall into an obsessive thought loop. Meth makes you do both. Especially as you comedown.

If you are not in bed either sleeping or properly relaxing then you should be gently exercising (walking while listening to a podcast or audiobook to distract you is perfect) or doing some kind of mentally consuming activity.

Three days maximum and you’ll be fine.

PS: Based on a few of your posts I believe you’ve been an a pretty solid diet of stimulants for quite some time. If so, this crash is probably NOT attributable only to your most recent 200 mg meth dose…you might want to think about whether that is the case or not.

I'd done 4 doses of amphetamine sulphate to about 120 mgs each time, spaced about 10 days apart each.

Then 35 mg meth, twice - spaced 1 week apart.

Then went to 200 mg.

So about 7 stimulant doses in total over about 7 weeks, but no come down as close to as bad as this.

Got psychosis, flushed everything.
Now managing this post-depression.

If the crash is more than just this recent dose, what does that mean?

If the crash is more than just this recent dose, what does that mean?
Could mean several things. A lot depends on your individual physiology and more importantly your individual psychology.

Those doses are not insane but they are not insignificant either. If I had a total break from stims for a month or so I would be extremely hesitant to take 120 mg of amp-sulfate let alone 200 mg of meth. It takes me at least a week of smoking meth like a chimney every day before I could even begin to comfortably handle a single fast dose of 200 mg. Even then I’d expect minor to moderate symptoms of overamping for an hour or more as I metabolised it.

So it is possible that you just went too hard too fast on what really amounts to a slow burn binge.

But it’s also possible that you have some underlying undiagnosed psychiatric condition triggered or exacerbated by overuse of stims. You seem to have been a little more prolific than usual in your postings over the last month or so. I think I recall you saying that you are sometimes surprised the next day when you see all the thoughts and ideas you’ve recorded here in your blog and more recently other threads. I would not dare try and label you or diagnose you but I wonder if some of that posting might be done in a ‘manic’ state. If so, it’s pretty common for a manic period of days, weeks, or even months to end in a pretty serious crash even without the use of amps. Is it possible that your current amp/meth crash is concurrent with a non-drug induced depressive episode or somehow interacting with one?

Paid a visit to hospital, get my heart checked out and reviewed.

HR was still high 3 days after but heart-tracing looked okay.

In the past I haven't paid enough attention to my cardiac well being (when it's by far the greatest cause of human mortality).

- Got reviewed by the mental health team.

They were firmly of the opinion my presentation was a result of residual meth effects.

Half life of meth varies, up to 30 hours in some people.

25 mg seroquel twice a day until its effects are totally gone.

I dose 25 mg two hours ago and the positive effects on my mood/anxiety/panic/feeling are dramatic.

Last edited:
My main worry is that I haven't caused chronic drug-induced-psychosis........

Last edited:
You've went to the point of flushing it all. That's the good news. If you never ingest anymore ever again, you won't have to flush again with the same crisis in mind except you're even more worried next time. That's also good news if you take that advise.

Even though your dose were spread out, I believe they were in such a manner that you never fully recovered since the first setting.

Give yourself a few weeks and do all the healthy things others suggested above. You should begin to return to normal in short order. Put your mind on productive projects and hobbies meantime. If you're single and lonely, put that out of your mind right now because YOU are number one right now. Don't dwell on things that add to your worries, especially not the worry as to whether or not you've permanently damaged yourself.

Please give an update daily. I'll do my best along with others to check on you and we'll look at the positive improvements together.

I must be an anomaly. I abused meth for about a year and a half. I never experienced serious problems when crashing. In fact, I kind of enjoyed the comedown.
My only symptoms were an intense hunger/craving for a variety of foods and the ability to get a good night's sleep.
Weird, huh?

My main worry is that I haven't caused chronic drug-induced-psychosis........
It usually takes more than a few doses of a stim to induce psychosis, let alone chronical. For me it took two years of daily abuse of dissociatives and stims together with chronic sleep deprivation until signs of psychosis set in, and it recovered fully without medication. I wouldn't worry about psychosis at this point.

But 200mg meth aren't exactly a low dose, I got post use depression from 1/10 of that over the course of a few weeks. Meth is worse than normal amphetamine bevause of its long half life which hinders recovery during the night.

If the depression doesn't resolve, a short (! a few weeks to little months, not more or you'll just trade) course of venlafaxine can help.

Please give an update daily. I'll do my best along with others to check on you and we'll look at the positive improvements together.
+ 1 on this @JohnBoy2000. Please update us how you are doing each day and we will be able to support you no matter how you are travelling.

It usually takes more than a few doses of a stim to induce psychosis, let alone chronical. For
I know you have qualified this claim with “usually”, but it is not uncommon for the first dose of meth, or one of the first few a person tries, to trigger serious psychosis.

I think given just how many people try or use meth the % of people who go psychotic very soon after first trying is small. But the absolute number is not insignificant.

That said, I do believe the majority of people who experience stimulant psychosis do so as a result mostly of sleep deprivation rather than the direct effects of the chemical on the brain.

If the depression doesn't resolve, a short (! a few weeks to little months, not more or you'll just trade) course of venlafaxine can help.

Although this advice does not violate either the BLUA or the Posting Rules for this sub-forum, it is probably worth saying that the specific SSNI/SSRI/AP (in this case Venflaxine/Effexor) that will work for any individual is highly variable. What worked wonderfully for one person’s drug-induced or organic psychiatric issues may have intolerable side-effects for another person with a seemingly identical condition.

Hey All!

I would like to move this over to our recorver forums if you're okay with that. I believe you'll get some better answers over there!

I don't have a ton of experience with this sort of thing, but I've read promising material regarding the use of Bupropion (Wellbutrin) as a maintenance drug for former stimulant-dependent individuals. It's a substituted-cathinone and cathinones are chemical siblings of the substituted-amphetamines. I've read that some people find the mental fog, apathy and dperessive symptoms treated positively with the drug. It might at least be worth some research.

Otherwise, I have to be a total dick and recommend proper diet, moderate exercise and getting proper sleep.

When I was getting away from Opioids, both Heroin and Methadone at different points in my life, apathy, lack of energy and depression ruled my life. I was willing to do anything to make it go away, supplements, music... pleasure, sex whatever. I wanted to do everything except for the hard shit... the uncomfortable shit. All I can say, is that these things truly do pay off if you're willing to invest in them.

But it’s also possible that you have some underlying undiagnosed psychiatric condition triggered or exacerbated by overuse of stims. You seem to have been a little more prolific than usual in your postings over the last month or so. I think I recall you saying that you are sometimes surprised the next day when you see all the thoughts and ideas you’ve recorded here in your blog and more recently other threads. I would not dare try and label you or diagnose you but I wonder if some of that posting might be done in a ‘manic’ state. If so, it’s pretty common for a manic period of days, weeks, or even months to end in a pretty serious crash even without the use of amps. Is it possible that your current amp/meth crash is concurrent with a non-drug induced depressive episode or somehow interacting with one?

What I really worried about was, the cognitive-setup in my blog, before like, 2014 I was working on an earlier version of it, "prototype" of sorts.

I realized in its prototype version it wouldn't render real results. My very functionality, ability to socialize, interact, have a personality, depends on that word/cue-setup so, following realization it wouldn't work, I had a nervous breakdown.

After that I got on meds and eventually re-initiated it with more thorough understanding of its "e-motion" nature, the basis of human communication, thus making it sustainable.

Point being, coming off that meth dose, 200 mg, the feeling was incredibly similar to the feeling around the time I had that nervous breakdown in 2014. Overwhelming melancholia.

Doom.

Feeling like life is over. Another poster characterized it, "thought rumination, depression etc", emphasizing "it's the meth, don' let it fool you to thinking you're having an existential crises".

It was hard to distinguish for sure if it was the meth but on day five, I was able to get out a little today and felt a little better.

Had a few tearful episodes but my real worry of whether it's my body/mind saying "your cognitive-setup won't work long term" and the associated feeling of DOOM that goes with that, that seems to be easing slightly.

Plus, when I was in the hospital on Monday, my behavior presentation was great, felt great interacting with the staff, the nurses were loving me and the Dr high five'd me on the way out, suggesting my cognitive/behavioural word-configuration is in fact good, the feeling of DOOM is in fact more associated with the meth come-down.

Last edited:
Point being, in relation to the bolded text, that was my worry.

That the meth come-down was just concurrent with a potentially much more devastating cognitive/mental-health issue.

But 5 days out now from the psychotic episode I'm gradually feeling a little improved.

My parents (thank heavens they're still alive, I'd be lost without them during times like this) have been great in supporting me, especially the last couple days.

So, my hope is I'll go from strength to strength, get back on the path of progress, and fucking NEVER go near another stimulant as long as I live.

Don't even know why I started them last February. Maybe for cognitive assistance with my blog but in retrospect, low doses just made me sleepy and high doses made me write walls of crap.

They were a nice euphoric break but given my paradoxical reaction to most drugs (anti anxiety's like valium make me more anxious), something as powerful as stimulants I don't think I can realistically meaningfully benefit from.

I'm one week out from that 200 mg methamphetamine dose today.

Yesterday morning I took "Solgar full spectrum curcumin" supplement and felt a little off.

Last night, hardly any sleep, and today damn the depression just hits hard and heavy.

It really sucks.

I thought worst of it was passed as I was beginning to feel a little better yesterday but today is difficult.

Some sites claim post meth effects can last 10 days to 2 weeks, so maybe it's early yet?

I'm thinking at this point, after effects can pass in a few days/week, but for the neurons to get fully right again - this may be a more lengthy process.

At least I hope so.

I'd hate to think I'd set off some kind of latent major depressive disorder.

I still feel depleted, weaker than normal, less positive vibe.

Last edited: