View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Post a picture of your hppd.

FunctionalOlfactio

Bluelighter
I think it was always there and I never noticed until after I used psychedelics.
Herbert_Hoover_as_the_new_President%2C_March_17%2C_1929.by_Oscar_Cesare.original_drawing.01.detail.jpg

Mine is pretty much exactly that.

Are you the man in the suit trying to work with the onslaught of activity cascading around you? Does this happen all the time?
I'm curious because for me, and as explained by many others, HPPD is much less significant than that. At most, for me, it involved appearance of movement where things are remaining still, for example a wall waving slightly akin to on LSD or mushrooms.

When I first noticed I would observe ripples on occasion, after exercise or during emotionally intense times. Once I started journalling and modifying my diet based on observations and the symptoms became increasingly intense, grinding and rippling frequently. Then continuing the same dietary modifications they began to fade in intensity and become much more detailed. Everything I perceived in my life became more detailed. This was especially apparent in my handwriting. My handwriting was illegible most of my life. As the H.P.P.D decreased and became more detailed my handwriting became more legible. Now the H.P.P.D is mainly in my minds eye and only noticeable when my mind isn't preoccupied with another activity. In my minds eye I perceive something similar to the perspective of the man in the suit.

If you are trying to handle an unfamiliar concept I comprehend how different individuals perception of reality is. Does the above explain my experience clearly?

I was taught to never talk about the symptoms or I would be persecuted and labelled "crazy" or in need of "help" for sure. This dogma was destructive. Improvement was a result of honesty patience and acceptance. Traditional medication was ineffective and I had to get worse before I got better. The symptoms were frightening until someone pointed out in words I understood they shared similar symptoms.

Last edited:
cafewall.jpg

Except it's no optical illusion of crooked lines. Things are just crooked a bit if I intentionally unfocus my eyes. I also get the sensation of my visual surroundings disconnecting with my physical movement sometimes.

I was a bit worried initially as it sort of seemed like what you were experiencing were vivid hallucinations. It sounds more like you have a more creative, imaginative mind, but I'm still not sure exactly because it is something I'm unfamiliar with. My stream of consciousness is pretty dull and predictable; no farmers or Monopoly man lurking about.

hm, it's pretty hard to find an appropriate picture, mine goes from tracers to lots of static on white/plain walls, objects changing shape, size, morphing, slight patterning. doesn't bother me most of the time, to be honest, because I always had it, but it became more prominent in the past two years. It's definitely worse when I'm stressed out/anxious/overall in bad shape.

hm, it's pretty hard to find an appropriate picture, mine goes from tracers to lots of static on white/plain walls, objects changing shape, size, morphing, slight patterning. doesn't bother me most of the time, to be honest, because I always had it, but it became more prominent in the past two years. It's definitely worse when I'm stressed out/anxious/overall in bad shape.

Pretty much the same for me, although I don't get tracers. I also get this effect that if I stare at an object in the centre of my vision, it becomes engulfed by the surrounding colours and disappears.

Despite having tripped probably 500 times (a guess) and for a couple of years, 2-3 days in a row with 1-2 days off, or even 7 days in a row with AMT once (those years were where the vast majority of my trips were from, these days I am more appropriate), I have never gotten HPPD whatsoever. I wish I understood why some people do and some don't.

sekio, this is a very interesting link you provided.
Probably off-topic, but still, could you share a few more links to data explaining the mechanics of psychedelics's action?

From June/2013 to Sept/13 this happened about once a week. It slowly progressed to ~2wice a week and by December/13 up to 2wice a day. Last time I took psychs was January 3rd this year and it's only happened once since then. It has always started when looking at black and white repetitive patterns and tends to progress into a visual flashback that lasts up to 10 minutes. These incidents, while disturbing didn't cause me to pause psych use; the fact that it happened whilst driving did.

If it makes any sense, I can both 'see' and 'not see' when this happens. Re the driving occurence - I pulled into the nearest parking lot and waited for this to pass.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite having tripped probably 500 times (a guess) and for a couple of years, 2-3 days in a row with 1-2 days off, or even 7 days in a row with AMT once (those years were where the vast majority of my trips were from, these days I am more appropriate), I have never gotten HPPD whatsoever. I wish I understood why some people do and some don't.

In my reading most reports of HPPD are actually reports of acute persistent visuals after tripping - which a lot of people don't realise is a normal thing, particularly with phenethylamines. If I take a phenethylamine it's 4-5 days from a single dose where I'll have visual alterations occur rarely throughout the day, and much longer if I'm dosing with any sort of consistency.

I've spoken to so many people who claim to have HPPD who haven't been even a month without taking a psychedelic in many years and suspect that most "HPPD" cases are not HPPD but just these acute persistent visuals which are to be expected if you use psychedelics, they go away after a break from all drugs for a few months in most instances.

Real HPPD is when it doesn't go away even if you were to abstain for years from all drugs.

Also some cases of "HPPD" may actually be visual problems people are experiencing for reasons other than drugs but that may be worsened by drug use - visual static/visual snow is a common example, empathogens and stimulants and phenethylamine psychedelics seem to be the major causes for making it worse in my experience at least as someone who has had visual static/snow since a kid. The worsening seems to be temporary though and tryptamines have an opposite effect, reducing my visual snow temporarily - the visual snow also drops to an almost unnoticeable level if I take no empathogen/psychedelic/stimulant for a few weeks. Another example is Posterior vitreous detachment which can produce weird fractal like sparkles inside your vision at random times (or 24/7) until you force yourself to ignore it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterior_vitreous_detachment I also have this in my left eye and initially thought it was HPPD until I saw an eye doctor.

In my reading most reports of HPPD are actually reports of acute persistent visuals after tripping - which a lot of people don't realise is a normal thing, particularly with phenethylamines. If I take a phenethylamine it's 4-5 days from a single dose where I'll have visual alterations occur rarely throughout the day, and much longer if I'm dosing with any sort of consistency.

I've spoken to so many people who claim to have HPPD who haven't been even a month without taking a psychedelic in many years and suspect that most "HPPD" cases are not HPPD but just these acute persistent visuals which are to be expected if you use psychedelics, they go away after a break from all drugs for a few months in most instances.

Real HPPD is when it doesn't go away even if you were to abstain for years from all drugs.

Also some cases of "HPPD" may actually be visual problems people are experiencing for reasons other than drugs but that may be worsened by drug use - visual static/visual snow is a common example, empathogens and stimulants and phenethylamine psychedelics seem to be the major causes for making it worse in my experience at least as someone who has had visual static/snow since a kid. The worsening seems to be temporary though and tryptamines have an opposite effect, reducing my visual snow temporarily - the visual snow also drops to an almost unnoticeable level if I take no empathogen/psychedelic/stimulant for a few weeks. Another example is Posterior vitreous detachment which can produce weird fractal like sparkles inside your vision at random times (or 24/7) until you force yourself to ignore it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posterior_vitreous_detachment I also have this in my left eye and initially thought it was HPPD until I saw an eye doctor.

With ibogaine (the flood dose) I had tracers and other ibogaine visuals, only at night, for over a week. That's the only time I have had persisting visuals beyond the length of the drug, phenethylamine or not. But I feel like that's just part of an ibogaine flood dose.

I agree that sometimes they have nothing to do with drugs at all. My sister used to see "wires" snaking around in the air every night before we went to sleep. She would cry or scream because it scared her. My mom would come in and have her describe them in detail. She described them very well and said when she tried to look right at them they disappeared.This happened for years. Much later, on acid, I began seeing those same wires and occasionally still do. My sister's disappeared by the time she hit her preteens.

i have what would best be described as after-images, especially after looking at brightly-colored objects or pictures. the effect is far more pronounced when i smoke pot, but it also happens more readily when i'm tired or stressed. one curious thing i've noticed is that sometimes the image will appear immediately, then fade like normal, only to suddenly pop back into my field of view, and just as detailed as a minute earlier (even though i haven't looked back at the object or image). for example, sometimes i'll look up from the computer, and see the "color blob" after image of my laptop and keyboard on the wall, and the keyboard will be detailed enough to read the letters on the keys.

a toned-down version of the "HD vision" effect commonly described seems to be kind of my baseline right now, though i can't honestly say that that might also be due to having a job that requires me to accurately perceive and match colors, so the experience i have learning those skills may have changed how i perceive color in general. the above-described effects don't seem to be interfering with my ability to do my job, for which i have to see fine detail and color as mentioned. and because i'm doing finish work, everything has to be perfect or i won't be able to get a sign-off from the customer - and if i have even two or three unhappy customers, that could mean i don't get referred for jobs through that company anymore.

generally the effects are most pronounced when there's bright light, but it seems to be blocked when i'm paying attention to other things - while at work, for example, or while working out. it tends not to happen while driving, though if i relax my eyes and look at a certain point on the road, it'll appear as though the road is sliding away from me, like i'm moving backwards. i noticed this one immediately after taking 25i the first time, and it's the one lingering effect from that drug that hasn't gone away yet.

i've been taking a psychedelic at least once a month the past year, and for a while it was once or twice a week (most of last summer and fall was like that), so it could just be that these effects take some time to wear off, but the couple times i've gone a month without tripping the effect hasn't diminished at all. as i said, it doesn't interfere with my job or driving, and it isn't something that really bothers me.