• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Possible to IM opioids, or IV exclusively?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I don't know much/anything about this class of drug, including its ROA.

However I see hear opioid addicts basically going to extreme measures to find a vein to inject.

Which suggests that opioids have historically been used almost exclusively via IV.

When soldiers admin morphine on the battlefield however, I can't imagine time for vein finding, I believe they inject IM.

So my question is, opioid IM vs IV, I mean - I've injected ketamine and IM is supposedly vastly superior to IV; in contrast to opioids, how does that work?
Is there an affect on bioavailability?
I can imagine there's an affect on Tmax as there is with ketamine but, potency generally speaking is other affected?

And the other question is - do opioid users genuinely use fentanyl??

I've read so much about this drugs mortality rate and danger, I can't imagine anyone would actually try and willingly use it recreationally?
Apparently other drugs get laced with trace amounts to boost their opioid effect but, taking straight fentanyl - does that actually happen?

And aren't the chances of overdose given the fatal does, extremely high?

Intramuscular administration of impure chemicals is more dangerous than IV administration because of particulate matter becoming lodged in the muscle and possibly causing infection.

IM has a lesser bioavailability than IV, yet still much higher than other routes. This of course varies depending on the chemical in question.

Ketamine is usually fine via IM because ket is generally found in ampules and dehydrated.

IM or IV Fentanyl is extremely dangerous. It is truly a killer and is currently taking someone out as we speak.

You can IM opioids if they are intended for that route, but certainly not in the form of pills or heroin.

I don't know much/anything about this class of drug, including its ROA.

However I see hear opioid addicts basically going to extreme measures to find a vein to inject.

Which suggests that opioids have historically been used almost exclusively via IV.

When soldiers admin morphine on the battlefield however, I can't imagine time for vein finding, I believe they inject IM.

So my question is, opioid IM vs IV, I mean - I've injected ketamine and IM is supposedly vastly superior to IV; in contrast to opioids, how does that work?
Is there an affect on bioavailability?
I can imagine there's an affect on Tmax as there is with ketamine but, potency generally speaking is other affected?

And the other question is - do opioid users genuinely use fentanyl??

I've read so much about this drugs mortality rate and danger, I can't imagine anyone would actually try and willingly use it recreationally?
Apparently other drugs get laced with trace amounts to boost their opioid effect but, taking straight fentanyl - does that actually happen?

And aren't the chances of overdose given the fatal does, extremely high?
IM has a very rapid onset and bioavailability, thing about IV is the RUSH of extreme pleasure you experience when administered like this. That is why junkies almost exclusively shoot junk.

IM has a very rapid onset and bioavailability, thing about IV is the RUSH of extreme pleasure you experience when administered like this. That is why junkies almost exclusively shoot junk.

So, say one was using opioids exclusively for their analgesic affect - it wouldn't matter if it was IM'd or IV'd?
The difference is simply the "rush"?

Intramuscular administration of impure chemicals is more dangerous than IV administration because of particulate matter becoming lodged in the muscle and possibly causing infection.

IM has a lesser bioavailability than IV, yet still much higher than other routes. This of course varies depending on the chemical in question.

Ketamine is usually fine via IM because ket is generally found in ampules and dehydrated.

IM or IV Fentanyl is extremely dangerous. It is truly a killer and is currently taking someone out as we speak.

You can IM opioids if they are intended for that route, but certainly not in the form of pills or heroin.

Last line - heroin is shot using a needle, but can't be IM'd?

"Intended for that route", not sure what this means; can one not simply decide their route?

Bioavailability of ket is typically about 90% IM vs 96/97% IV if I have that correct, so almost no real difference, I'm assuming you mean the same with opioids?

I get you can't inject pills (or aren't meant to, via crushing etc), but other than that I don't understand the "don't IM heroin".

Last line - heroin is shot using a needle, but can't be IM'd?

"Intended for that route", not sure what this means; can one not simply decide their route?

Bioavailability of ket is typically about 90% IM vs 96/97% IV if I have that correct, so almost no real difference, I'm assuming you mean the same with opioids?

I get you can't inject pills (or aren't meant to, via crushing etc), but other than that I don't understand the "don't IM heroin".

Heroin is an incredibly dirty and stepped on drug. By the time the bag makes it to you it's got sawdust, benadryl, mannitol, fentanyl, and god knows what else in it. It's a guaranteed infection if you inject it IM, but I honestly couldn't tell you why IV is any better. I just know people IV street drugs all the time but never ever IM. I'd IM the hell out of pharma morphine vials though because I can't IV for shit I just can't hit a vein.

IV is safer because contamination isn't centered in one place where bacteria can easily and quickly multiply.

At least that's always been my understanding.

I would never IM heroin, for a whole bunch of reasons. Sure there's the safety one, but honestly it's not one of the bigger reasons.

The reason I always IVed is..

1. I was a junkie and I spent all my money on heroin and like all junkies I wasn't willing to waste any of it.
2. The rush you get from IVing is very enjoyable.

And 3. And this is without question the primary reason.

When you're addicted to heroin, unless you have a fallback like methadone, you're likely gonna be in withdrawal... A lot.

And withdrawal... Is.. The worst. You'll do almost anything to make it stop and make it stop now.

I've shot up heroin in a public area just cause I was so sick I wasn't willing to wait the extra 20 minutes to get somewhere more quiet.

And unlike most any other route, iv takes effect within a couple seconds. Sure smoking is also pretty fast, but it conflicts with reason 1. I'm not wasting it so I'm sicker sooner. Especially not after the shitty things I'd often done for the money to start with.

IV is safer because contamination isn't centered in one place where bacteria can easily and quickly multiply.

I would never IM heroin, for a whole bunch of reasons. Sure there's the safety one, but honestly it's not one of the bigger reasons.

1. I was a junkie and I spent all my money on heroin and like all junkies I wasn't willing to waste any of it.

When you're addicted to heroin, unless you have a fallback like methadone, you're likely gonna be in withdrawal... A lot.

And withdrawal... Is.. The worst. You'll do almost anything to make it stop and make it stop now.

I've shot up heroin in a public area just cause I was so sick I wasn't willing to wait the extra 20 minutes to get somewhere more quiet.

And unlike most any other route, iv takes effect within a couple seconds. Sure smoking is also pretty fast, but it conflicts with reason 1. I'm not wasting it so I'm sicker sooner. Especially not after the shitty things I'd often done for the money to start with.

So - speed of action onset is your primary reason as to why you'd IV?

On a grimer musing, I understand lethal injection is administered via some old school barbituate - pentobarbital or something.

But there was an issue with lethal injections cause pentobarbitol was in short supply or something.

Is there any reason why authorities simply don't sub in fentanyl as the drug of choice for state executions/lethal injections?
I mean if it's so efficient and effective at inducing fatality in even relatively small quantities, and let's face it - cheap.

So - speed of action onset is your primary reason as to why you'd IV?

Yes. Between the rush, and fending off withdrawal sooner, it's probably the main reason why I'd IV over some other method. Although not the only reason.

However, it occurs to me I missed a reason.

IVing is kinda addictive in its own right. I'm not entirely sure why it is, but it is. Once you start doing it, just the ritual of IVing becomes part of the whole heroin experience.

Yes. Between the rush, and fending off withdrawal sooner, it's probably the main reason why I'd IV over some other method. Although not the only reason.

However, it occurs to me I missed a reason.

IVing is kinda addictive in its own right. I'm not entirely sure why it is, but it is. Once you start doing it, just the ritual of IVing becomes part of the whole heroin experience.
oh yes the needle fixation is like 10000000x more addictive than cooking crack or racking up some lines. Just seeing the flash of blood enter the syringe and push the plunger......omg i should stop right there.

you're not the only one Jess, i've shot up walking down the street casually so many times and i could care less about the odd looks because i was feeling the rush so strong ididn'tgiveaflyingfuck xd, all i could think was RELIEF.

So, say one was using opioids exclusively for their analgesic affect - it wouldn't matter if it was IM'd or IV'd?
The difference is simply the "rush"?

Somewhat correct. They are all considered parenteral route of administration, but pharmacodynamics will still vary from IM to IV. However, unless it's sterile pharmaceutical grade opioids with sterile equipment, please do not IM street drugs. You will wind up with infected abscesses and blood infections, or worse, quickly.

2.5 years off the needle and reading that gave me a rush

I'm a little over three years off the needle and I finally don't get triggered or that rush of dopamine from thinking about the register. That was one of the most difficult things for me, too. I remember referring to it as Christmas Time whenever I'd see it finally register, especially after searching for a vein to hit for a period of time. That was an addiction in itself.

I am fortunate to still have great veins. I never had to search.

I'm jealous for real! I used to be so jealous of my friend, he had huge veins and could hit in like 3 seconds in the car, and when my veins started collapsing I'm sitting there for 45 minutes trying to hit a tiny hand vein while I'm dope sick, shaking and vomiting and shitting myself all at the same time. Never again will I live like that.

Even in the depths of my addiction I put effort into doing things cleanly. Use new rigs and swipe my arm and spoon with alcohol. What is so difficult about that?