• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Poly-drug MEGA-Thread: If you abuse all kinds of drugs, check in here!

Been 5 years BL, here to report I was able to get clean 7-27-2012 until oct 2013, relapsed and have been collecting 6 month and 9 month key rings ever since. I attend at least 5 meetings a week, but I still find someway back to the needle. Don't loose hope brothers and sisters.

Hey, 6 and 9 month keytags ain't bad...better than the drawer full of white keytags so familiar to some of us.

Sorry...I'm not trying to kid about your struggles. It sounds like that must be tough. But it's inspiring, too. You must have a shit-ton of energy and focus to keep going in the right direction.

Good luck moving forward, man.
<3
Sim

^ no worries. I got a bunch of the whites in a separate drawer. Humor and music saves my life so by all means let's have a nice laugh! Thanks for the reply

Have you ever tried anything like MBSR DM? I found it incredibly helpful when paired with an abstinence oriented for of treatment.

Have you ever tried anything like MBSR DM? I found it incredibly helpful when paired with an abstinence oriented for of treatment.
Honesty I haven't looked into it, but I'm open to new avenues to explore! Could you give your ideas and opinions on it? Thanks

Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction courses are basically an eight week training program in basic mindfulness based techniques (two hours a week, with homework and then a daylong retreat after the course ends). You learn the basics of insight meditation and a bit of lovingkindness meditation, as well as some mindful movement and mindful eating practices. The specific goals of MBHR is, as the name suggests, to reduce stress. However, the tools learned can go far beyond simply addressing what most of us think of when we hear the word stress.

MBSR is a clinical modality developed decades ago out of UMass that has proven very useful as an adjunct treatment (or in the case of some conditions primary modality) managing otherwise difficult or impossible to treat chronic conditions (originally used mostly with chronic pain patients). Basically the program helps one develop more effective tools at regulating one's mood and coping with both the pain associates with one's conditions (from cancer to anxiety) as well as the stress of everyday life, often magnified to the point of unmanageability by the stressful nature of chronic conditions like substance use disorder and mental illness.

It's all about changing how we relate to our experience of living our daily lives. Obviously there is a very strong application to pain, discomfort and dis-ease. Mindfulness based tools teach us how to experience the inevitable discomfort we come across in life as simply the transient experience they are: pain as pain, dis-ease as dis-ease.

Cultivating a mindfulness in daily life helps us to relate to difficult experiences in more skillful ways: transforming experiences that can feel entirely overwhelming to a more manageable challenges, as opportunities to grow and become as opposed to defects or flaws that define who we are. The basic idea is to learn to relate to our present moment experience as something that is constantly in flux, beyond good or bad, right or wrong, through cultivating a certain mind-space or perspective that allows our present moment experience to flow more organically as it will, allowing difficult experiences to pass on their own for instance (which empowers us by allowing our perception to open to less uncomfortable experiences).

Evolutionarily speaking we are somewhat predisposed to latching onto craving pleasant experiences and an aversion to unpleasant experience. Take hyper vigilance, which is merely an extreme end of the spectrum of awareness we are all on. Instead of allowing our attention to open and focus on the entirety of what may be possible in our experience, someone who experiences hyper vigilance as, for instance, the result of trauma, has a narrow and contracted quality to their attention that is focused primarily on what we find threatening to our safety. We all tend to do this to one degree or another, some more than others for a variety of reasons. A contracted or narrow focus of attention tends to lead to more suffering than our present moment experience actually entails, as we become attached to, caught up in and end up clinging to particular states, as opposed to allowing our conscious mind to open and enter into new states of present moment experience that are less uncomfortable.

It can be difficult to find a good MBSR course depending on where you live, but there are a lot of good programs out there too. One of these courses got me interested in the work I do today with secular mindfulness and it's clinical applications. Given my personal experience using tools I learned originally in an MBSR course that I was able to successfully get off methadone (with very little difficulty I might add) and maintain what has become a prolonged abstinence from opioid use, the practice of mindfulness is very dear to me (particularly it's secular incarnation, as most mindfulness based programs outside MBSR are heavily influenced form many of the tools' origins in Buddhist psychology, which can turn a lot of people off).

YMMV, but it's definitely a worthy exploration. Particularly if you struggle with stress and anxiety, which are pretty common states when it comes to life in early (and really any stage) of recovery. What I also found very helpful was how, through an MBSR course I was able to discover a community that really matched my needs, and introduced to a wonderful number of teachers, practitioner and peers from all walks of life with all kinds of challanges and assets. This has made it possible for me to create a community of folks who I can feel entirely authentically myself with - whom in fact I have been able to become a much more authentic person by working with - a place that has become the bedrock of my recovery (in my case, mainly MARC at UCLA and when I can ATS). I have found the mindfulness community more generally to be infinitely more empowering in terms of social, community based therapeutic support than the 12 step community.

My experience with 12 step communities was particularly horrible though, so it was easy to take like a fish to water in this more empowering, supportive atmosphere that places significant emphasis on finding your own authentic voice. That said, I have a number of students and peers who are members of both 12 step and mindfulness oriented communities (there are a lot things you learn in MBSR type work that are also common to 12 step circles, such as the HALT exercise). Generally speaking though, it seems that mindfulness based communities are much more compassionate, inclusive and accepting than 12 step ones. About half the people in Against the Stream (ATS) are in recovery anyways, so there is a lot of cross over there, and they also have Refuge Recovery communities that are basically a Buddhist version of 12 step stuff.

Check out this video on what mindfulness is. Diana explains it better than I ever could (no one makes mindfulness quite as accessible as she does; keep in mind her big thing is secular mindfulness, which is so wonderful because it makes tools often more associated with spiritual or religious traditions more accessible to lay people as well as supporting empirical research into what actually works (and doesn't) when it comes to meditation):

I'll be adding a bunch of videos to my MBHR thread sometime this week when I get around to it as well. This is one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you please explain what ketamine feels like exactly? And why have I never heard or anyone who can get it? Is it mostly just in certain areas?

Kinda hard to describe but I found it to be almost a combination of the mental spaciness of DXM mixed with a slight opiate buzz.

Not really enough of a physical sensation to make me want it over pure opiates though.

@ this thread

some times I'll be at work and feel a little lazy and my first thought is "man if I were on meth this woulda been DONE by now!"

thats what always fucks with my head. My first reaction to most situations is "what drug can I take to help this?"

I just... haven't been acting on those thoughts

im a drug addict

If identifying as an addict is helpful, do it! But personally, I'd say your more human than addict (you're just, perhaps, the "addict" flavor of human; still more in common with those of us who choose to identify differently than not). Those kinds of thoughts that you mention along the lines of "what kind of things can I do to change the way I feel/accomplish/work hard, faster, stronger/etc" seem much more common than not.

Folks like us just learned to rely on drugs to accomplish said changes, as opposed to relying on other external or internal stimuli, and for whatever reason over time it became less of something that actually helped and more something that causing us harm - but like any deeply entrenched habits, we have struggled with regards to change how way we related to the world and replace them with healthier patterns of thought and behavior.

That said, it isn't like our substance use didn't, at least at some point, serve an important function in our lives (and in the case of some of us, if in modified ways such as with empathogens, continues to do so). And on this note, regarding ketamine, I came across this little gem in my inbox this morning: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...-doctors-prescribe-it?p=14001309#post14001309

Dissociatives are extremely hard to describe the feeling of though. Most people seem to hate them, but some of us find them incredibility valuable. The way they can disconnect you from physically and cognitively feeling like you're in control of yourself or your world can be far to jarring for most (or at least that is my take on why most do not enjoy them).

That articles does a pretty good way of explaining it though. It is like a kind of empathogenic kind of dissociated (or disembodied) state, where the ego isn't nearly as present and chronological memory goes out with the garbage, forcing it's less judgmental/critical counterpart procedure memory to kick in in new and interesting ways.

Basically, if you are conditioned to overly judgmental, anxious and/or depressive patterns of thought, the use of NMDAr antagonists like ketamine and DXM offer an amazing, welcome relied from self hatred, negative self talk and/or shame. Not to mention the physical pain that is often associated with them, regardless of whether the pain is caused or the biological manifestation of such mind states (or associated with conditions like acute withdrawal and PAWS for that matter).

Like I said, the article describes their very general mechanism of action and its significant, at least as far as it is currently understood, pretty damn well for the lay person (myself included).

Hey toothpaste, I found a local mindfulness course, are they typically around $400? I really don't have that kind of money floating around.

Best nights are the booze, coke, H, weed nights.

Maybe throw in some adderall during the day or xanax at night.

I fall in this category, except the only problem I ever really have is with heroin. These nights do usually end up being quite expensive though.

I agree that the H can be expensive...I got on pain pills first, then got on Suboxone to get off those, well after six years hooked on subs, I went to jail, made a couple H connects...I thought it would be a cheap fix...Couldn't wait to try it because I was the cleanest I'd been in years...So I did..And it was good...And I really really liked it...But now I can spend <snip> on a bag of dope that would be gone in an a half hour versus spending the same amount of money on two subs that would last me all week...That dope rush is like no other, but damn being sick sucks...

Hey toothpaste, I found a local mindfulness course, are they typically around $400? I really don't have that kind of money floating around.

Yeah, that is pretty common. They are definitely a thing of privilege (which is part of the reason I'm so interested in making them more available as part of the more mainstream public health system where I live, though will definitely be a longer term project. That is the big criticism of mindfulness, is how the cost limits involvement largely to the middle/upper-middle/upper class.

I mean, there are lots of great organizations that offer scholarship programs (particularly the one I'm in at UCLA, where I'm paying $0 for the current year of the intensive practice program I'm in). A scholarship or discount would certainly be worthwhile asking about, though they are definitely a need based kind of thing.

There are Goenka retreats, which you can do entirely for free, but that is a pretty intense introduction, and isn't exactly the same as something like MBSR (Goenka is a traditional Buddhist retreat program type thing, which turns a lot of people off).

Something that is easier to navigate on my part. Long Story. Thanks for having me..

Last edited:
Oxycontin, percocet, cocaine, flexeril, klonopin, adderall... just a mishmash of prescription whatevers for the past how many weeks? I just abuse everything I can get my hands on, anything to feel good and not deal with bad emotions. I am at a point where my body feels so unstable, it just wants me to stop, but I just keep going with the drugs. I guess I'm not ready to stop yet.

Well, enough about me. What's the story with you?
Painkillers, adderall, meth, heroine, Xanax, gabapentin, alcohol.. ect. I don’t like the way I feel sober. I was sober 2 years before I went back out about 2 months ago. I have a friend who is in recovery that drinks kratom for her pain, she hasn’t left my side. My boyfriend is banging meth for the first time and he has fallen in love with it and out of love with me. And I him, he disgusts me and that’s sad. He is getting help this week. What will I do? I’m behind on my rent and thought of some crazy ways to make money fast. I have a job and am a full time student that is also behind on all of my assignments. Drugs take everything from me, why do I allow this to happen..? I’ve never truly been comfortable in my own skin, except when I’m high on anything. I have been poly-using since I was 15, smoking pot only since 13. I’m 25. The 2 years of sobriety was decent, but I gained weight and I hated my body (this is part of the reason I went back out.) I tried to find what made me happy, I tried the gym, I did 12 steps, I sponsored other women (one of which is still sober today and still considers me her sponsor…cognitive dissonance) I’ve tried. I think maybe I’ll just keep trying and not be too hard on myself. I’m a perfectionist, I have unrealistic expectations and I have trauma that I have not dealt with in the slightest. I think I’m just on a journey for now. I’m hopeful, but scared.

When i went partying i would do some coke, some ketamine, some xtc, some LSD, some GHB and some weed and nitrous oxcide and if IT was too much some amp on IT, i Just did everything ppl were sharing, and everyone shared at those parties ..