Police keep following me

Heresy

Bluelighter
Its been goin on since I went to this one rave that got raided in my city; and ever since they saw me over there I have been heavily followed. So I actually took the intimidation tactics as something to encourage me cleaning up my life which I did, but still I am the focus of alot of these officer's attention (including some detectives that give me dirty looks). So im guessing theres like some sort of investigation on my or something; I do have a shroom making charge for way back and I am still living in the city where I attended rehab (I have a reason to believe that the owner has some serious connections with the law enforcement around here); alot of this is pointing to them waiting for me to make a mistake so they can give me their all OR just diplomatically (in their own way) telling me to leave this city and to never come back.

Its kind of embarassing having a cop pass you on every corner when your trying to make a life for you somewhere. Its having an effect on my social life to an extent. This particular police department is known to be pretty corrupt and I do stand out more than your average person. I have been thinking about filing a complaint or something (even tempted to go to the station and ask them what they want me to do). But I feel like anything like that would have dire consequences. Should I just remain the well behaved citizen I am until they get bored of me? This has been goin on for about 6 months; I just moved to a different part of the city but its still the same.

If you were part of an ongoing investigation I can't fathom why the police would make themselves visible to you.

Its sounds like bullying, pretty much. My advice is basic, get a lawyer and explain whats going on. I feel like there is something you might not be mentioning, intentional or not I can't figure it out.

I was getting pulled over all the time for a couple of months... It sucked because I would be in my neighborhood where I know alot of people, and they would have me exit the car, and they would search me, and the car.... Now I happened to know a detective, and I told him that I wasn't doing anything wrong, and to have his "boys" get off my ass.... I wasn't bothered anymore after that...
So my suggestion is that If you know any police from that precinct on a more personal level, tell them your clean and to pass on the message to back off.

if this actually is impacting your life i would suggest investing some money in a lawyer and following his advice because who the hell knows why they are doing that to you, ya know.

First, I think you may want to consider that the police are not folowing you, but instead you have a psychological issue that is giving you paranoia. In my line of work, I have heard a number of stories from people claiming that they were being followed, watched, etc., by the authorities because of trivial stuff. Often these people are elderly, but not always. It's a well-understood psychological problem.

The point is, police do not just "follow" people around. Just because you happend to be at a rave that got raided -- no doubt with many other people -- would not make you a target for being followed. Further, do you realize how short-staffed most police departments are? They simply do not have the manpower to follow people.

It really sounds like it is all in your head. Which does not mean it is any less of a problem. When you form this kind of belief, it is probably too late for self-help, or to just change your mind and realize you are imagining it. At your stage, people tend to instead interpret everything that happens in a way that does NOT affect their basic assumption that they really are being followed by the authorities. So there is a very good chance you will dismiss this reply, perhaps reasoning I must be in on the conspiracy.

Anyway, I really hope you go get some psychological counseling.

~psychoblast~

^ Well we don't know for a fact that the OP isn't being "psychologically bullied," so for the record maybe you're remiss in making the assumption that it's all in his head. I'd rather the discussion be contained to the possibility of psychological harassment on the part of a particular locale's LE agencies against a particular individual before we go the psychiatric route.

While it's not good manners, it's not unknown or illegal for cops to give a particular individual or group "dirty looks" or worse as a display of their imagined omnipotence.

OP: From experience I know that the police can and will target some individuals more than others. I'm from a smaller city ,50,000 or so citizens, and when I was in high school the cops always FOLLOWED and PULLED OVER the same like 5 people I went to school with. of course they would pull other people over for speeding or other things, but those were people that were breaking the law. I had ridden with some of the people that they pulled over all of the time and the cops would basically follow them around until they "broke the law" I mean like touched the yellow or white line or anything so small.

The cops were following and harassing these people. If you follow someone long enough they are going to screw up. If they don't the cops will say that they did. In the situation I was talking about it was always high school kids. They might have gotten into trouble once or twice but for nothing very bad. I mean they weren't bad kids, the cops just loved being dickheads to some of us. I believe that this type of thing could be happening to you as well. I don't think its paranoia, you know if you are really being followed by the cops or not. Sorry dude that just sucks. If it continues I would personally fucking move, but that is my opinion.

A thread is not a thread without a remissive or dismissive response imho; I guess they do have educational value at most. I'm not really seeking validation here, I like jumping to my educated conclusions because thats what they are from my point of view and your more than welcome to brandish that with your own contradictions psycho if that helps you get through the day.

I'm not saying I didn't struggle when I got out of rehab, I just don't understand what I can do at face value that would be indicative of me being on the right path; at this point I feel like they don't give a fuck and just want to test their ability to abuse authority. If its my hair or some class conciousness issue that made its way into some of their paperwork somehow then I don't see how that's my problem.

Do you think someone may have "fingered" or implicated you in drug dealing? I had this happen to me also when I was in HS... I had been "fingered" by "friends that got busted unfortunately. People are shady and the game's fucked up.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened since I do gravitate towards that crowd, but I've been kind of a loner ever since and all they see me do is buy groceries and take the bus to school. They followed me quite a lot during my move and they usually get someone to ID me by driving by every bus I take as soon as I get on. I'm not doing anything wrong but I'm more afraid of potential abuse from the authoritees which seems to be a group concious effort. They probably could have arrested me for something before like smokin weed without a liscense over at the rave but since I got away their dying to arrest me for something so that I can support them with legal fines and forfeiture and all that crap. This city is high in crime and going bankrupt, I am not even a fish in their terms.

File a complaint if you truly feel there is something happening.

If you are underage (as assumption i make based on the fact that you said you are riding the bus to school), report it to a school admin you trust, or if there are none, one who will listen to you at least. If worse comes to worst, at least you will have somebody with authority and the "credit" to have a believable story backing you up.

I've been in your situation, but in the end it turned out to a really unlucky string of events that resulted in me being in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Just remember that cops generally work the same beat/area every day, and if you're in the same area, every day, you're going to see the same cops, every day, and they are going to see you, as well.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, and think long and hard about it all. If you feel justified, consider the options I presented above.

About 7 years ago I had a spell where I thought I was being followed by the "authorities". Whenever I was driving around, it seemed no matter where I turned someone was following me. It also was no coincidence that I was not only selling pot but smoking MASSIVE amounts of it. I was paranoid as fuck and eventually attempted suicide and ended up in the psych ward.

You guys flamed psychoblast for stating his educated opinion but he may be on to something. If you're just a recreational pot smoker and aren't selling it, then the cops aren't gonna waste their time following you around.

If you have any doubt, quit smoking weed and take a couple of weeks for the cobwebs to clear out of your brain. I know you're online to get help from us and that is a great start, but don't make the same mistake I made which was blabbing to all my family that I was being followed, cuz all they did was help have me committed. I would, however, seriously get in to see a psychological counselor. Believe it or not, they may be able to help you.

Just my .02

About 7 years ago I had a spell where I thought I was being followed by the "authorities". Whenever I was driving around, it seemed no matter where I turned someone was following me. It also was no coincidence that I was not only selling pot but smoking MASSIVE amounts of it. I was paranoid as fuck and eventually attempted suicide and ended up in the psych ward.

You guys flamed psychoblast for stating his educated opinion but he may be on to something. If you're just a recreational pot smoker and aren't selling it, then the cops aren't gonna waste their time following you around.

If you have any doubt, quit smoking weed and take a couple of weeks for the cobwebs to clear out of your brain. I know you're online to get help from us and that is a great start, but don't make the same mistake I made which was blabbing to all my family that I was being followed, cuz all they did was help have me committed. I would, however, seriously get in to see a psychological counselor. Believe it or not, they may be able to help you.

Just my .02

So your suggesting that I am imagining this? OK, thats a great point for me to investigate as I have been since this has been going on. So far the "get psychological help" suggestions havent sounded educated at all thus far. If your going to say something like "Perhaps your past experiences with authorities may be triggering some paranoia due to some sort of post traumatic stress" or "the psychologist could give you a more educated opinion and assess your situation" would be more informative to me as opposed to the responses I have been given. Nonetheless you gave me a good example for me to contrast my situation with so thank you for that.

It feels alot like bullying to me and the way it affects me psychologically since its soo important is that I feel like some sort of conflict is constantly impending. Im probably not the only one here that thinks "DANGER" when they see the cops; but I think im old enough to make the distinction between a reasonable paranoia and an unreasonable one that stemmed from bad experiences with authorities.

I dont really feel like I have much to report if its just the police constantly getting in my space. If they start to become verbal about their opinions then I will definently file a complaint or maybe even talk to a lawyer. At the moment I am just gonna investigate the effect of not letting them bother me.

So your suggesting that I am imagining this? OK, thats a great point for me to investigate as I have been since this has been going on. So far the "get psychological help" suggestions havent sounded educated at all thus far. If your going to say something like "Perhaps your past experiences with authorities may be triggering some paranoia due to some sort of post traumatic stress" or "the psychologist could give you a more educated opinion and assess your situation" would be more informative to me as opposed to the responses I have been given. Nonetheless you gave me a good example for me to contrast my situation with so thank you for that.

It feels alot like bullying to me and the way it affects me psychologically since its soo important is that I feel like some sort of conflict is constantly impending. Im probably not the only one here that thinks "DANGER" when they see the cops; but I think im old enough to make the distinction between a reasonable paranoia and an unreasonable one that stemmed from bad experiences with authorities.

I dont really feel like I have much to report if its just the police constantly getting in my space. If they start to become verbal about their opinions then I will definently file a complaint or maybe even talk to a lawyer. At the moment I am just gonna investigate the effect of not letting them bother me.

You're prolly right, I've never been where you are and I actually have no real life experiences to base my knowledge on 8)

[this paragraph edited. c'mon now, it's not productive to taunt him, especially if your hypothesis is correct and not his --Johnny1]

Last edited by a moderator:
are they stopping you and searching you? if not, why would they follow you, not undercover, for 6 months, and not be stopping you?

From my experience with police (know a couple), they are way too busy to be following you, however, they may recognize you and be giving you frowns or dirty looks. If they haven't stopped or searched you, however, I wouldn't contact a lawyer yet, but I try smiling. Not necessarily at them at first, but just be innocently smiley. Then, a couple of days late, accidentally catch an eye, smile and nod, and see how that goes. Cops are ridiculously busy, and something as simple as replacing their view of you as someone who they see frowning, to a happy go lucky person might change their view enough to forget you. Just don't give them a shit eating grin, cause that's memorable in its own right. :)

I'm still curious what the situation is, still being followed by LEO Hersey?

In the movie Heat, Deniro knows he's being followed so he leads the Police to a pre-determined spot where he can see who is following him exactly. He disappears, while the detective are standing around with their thumbs up their asses.

Thats one sure way to find out if they're actually casing you.